Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

April 24, 2024, 06:07:17 pm

Coaching search summary

Started by hawgon, December 08, 2017, 08:21:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgon

On Hawgs Illustrated.

To summarize and not go into too much detail...after Gus it was always Norvell and Morris.  Morris interviewed twice once with a few and once with the whole committee.  Norvell only once because he had the championship game.  Malzahn never talked to the committee.

Norvell was Arkansas or bust throughout the process.  When Yuracheck was hired, he was given the two finalists and the recommendation of the committee.  Though he had the option of doing his own search, he liked the two candidates and went with the committee's recommendation.  Once notified, Norvell immediately signed the extension with Memphis and will have plenty of chances next year.

I now see why Morris was hired, though I have a sneaking suspicion that we just passed on Jimmy Johnson to hire Ken Hatfield.  But, he is only 36 and we might get another shot at him someday.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Albert Einswine

"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Sho Nuff

So were all of the rumors about the concerns of Norvell's personal life unfounded?

wpswillriseagain

Afraid Norvell would have been over his head. He inherited a good program. He's a really good play-caller but can he take over a program in a tough situation? IDK. Idk if Morris can turn us around either but at least he has a little experience taking over a program in much worse shape than ours. Don't think either were bad choices, but I'm proud of who we got. 🐗🐗

Hogberry Snortcake

Quote from: Sho Nuff on December 08, 2017, 08:40:13 am
So were all of the rumors about the concerns of Norvell's personal life unfounded?

I know that it's none of my business, but I'd really like to know this too.  Had a bunch of friends at UCA, and I was hoping for the (sorta) hometown boy. 

EastexHawg

Quote from: hawgon on December 08, 2017, 08:21:55 am
I now see why Morris was hired, though I have a sneaking suspicion that we just passed on Jimmy Johnson to hire Ken Hatfield.  But, he is only 36 and we might get another shot at him someday.

Never underestimate the pettiness and incompetence of the people running Arkansas athletics.  Someone will get a shot at Norvell, but it won't be us.  He's not going to sit around at Memphis for 5-6 years waiting for Morris to be fired.

PorkBilly

Quote from: Hogberry Snortcake on December 08, 2017, 08:46:41 am
I know that it's none of my business, but I'd really like to know this too.  Had a bunch of friends at UCA, and I was hoping for the (sorta) hometown boy.
You will not get an answer to this. Ole Miss proportedly started a rumor, proportedly because Norvell would not interview with them. No one wants to support "rumors"....especially on a message board. I was a Norvell fan. I'm a bigger Morris fan now! His connection to high schools and to Texas will pay big dividends. This is going to be fun again. More than Pertino. More than Nutts first year. RR stadium will not be friendly to visiting teams. WPS

Simple Swineman

Hopefully this time we actually passed Ken Hatfield to hire Jimmy Johnson. Time will tell.

farmhawg

On Hawgs Illustrated.

To summarize and not go into too much detail...after Gus it was always Norvell and Morris.  Morris interviewed twice once with a few and once with the whole committee.  Norvell only once because he had the championship game.  Malzahn never talked to the committee.

Norvell was Arkansas or bust throughout the process.  When Yuracheck was hired, he was given the two finalists and the recommendation of the committee.  Though he had the option of doing his own search, he liked the two candidates and went with the committee's recommendation.  Once notified, Norvell immediately signed the extension with Memphis and will have plenty of chances next year.

I doubt he gets another look for a long time here.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

farmhawg

Quote from: Sho Nuff on December 08, 2017, 08:40:13 am
No, but different than what's reported. The ptb did the right thing.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

NoogaHog

I can hear Norvell: "But dude I smoked his a** TWICE!"
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

901king

On Hawgs Illustrated.

You are correct sir.  As a Memphis fan, I'm ecstatic that the Hogs chose the wrong candidate. Hoping that Norvell stays long term and continues to build Memphis.  I read these boards and all the misinformation being spouted about recruiting, offensive genius, special teams, etc.  A few facts to dispel some of these myths for your perusal: 

Myth:  Norvell has been winning with Fuente's players.  Fact:  Norvell capitalized on Fuente changing the direction of the program, however 80% of the starters and backups are either freshmen, sophomores, or transfers from the last 2 years.  Norvell recruits have supplanted most of Fuente's Juniors and Seniors in the starting lineup.

Myth:  Morris is a star recruiter in Texas which means he gets the best players.  Fact:  In the 2 years of Norvell and Morris recruiting head to head, Memphis has been either #1 or #2 in AAC recruiting, while SMU has been #7 and #5.  Somehow, there are players all over the country that have talent, not just Texas.  Seems pretty parochial approach.

Myth:  Morris is an offensive genius.  Fact:  SMU's last 3 outings vs Memphis were all Ls.   51-7, 59-3, 66-45.  Memphis is not particularly known for shutdown defense.  Norvell teams have outscored the offensive genius 125-48 head to head.

Myth:  Morris focuses on and is stellar at Special Teams.   Fact:  In 3 years SMU has 1 KR for TD while giving up 1 (2016 Henderson -MEM).  In 2 years at Memphis, Norvell teams have 7 KR for TD while giving up 0.  Prior to Norvell, Memphis had not returned a Kickoff for TD since Kevin Cobb's miracle run  vs Tennessee in 1996.  Tony Pollard, a Sophomore, leads the nation with 4 KR for TDs this year and 6 in his short career.   Pollard was named Walter Camp 1st team All American yesterday.

hawgon

Quote from: farmhawg on December 08, 2017, 09:09:18 am
No, but different than what's reported. The ptb did the right thing.

Just stop.  There were no issues.  They just made a choice.

Hawg414

Quote from: hawgon on December 08, 2017, 09:44:11 am
Just stop.  There were no issues.  They just made a choice.

i agree.  and if the info in the OP is correct, this would pretty much verify that.  should put an end to all speculation that there were these mysterious issues that appeared in the vetting.  we were told that WE removed Norvell from the equation bc of mysterious rumored issues.  yet it appears we offered him up as one of the 2 final options.  then chose Morris bc he was the recommendation.