Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

May 08, 2024, 06:07:48 am

The reason this is a bad hire

Started by Dannyluvssonic, December 06, 2017, 07:39:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Dannyluvssonic

Chad Morris may end up winning a national championship.  He may be the perfect fit for Arkansas in the long run.  We shall see.  Where this hire fails is not in the potential for wins and losses, but the inability to unite the fanbase.  We are at a time of complete and utter apathy after five years of Bret Bielema.  The stadium is half empty at a time where it is being expanded.  Arkansas needed a coach that would win the press conference.  One who would get the fan base excited again and increasing ticket sales, with whether or not he ultimately won or lost being irrelevant at this point.  The University of Arkansas failed with this hire.

farmhawg

Quote from: Dannyluvssonic on December 06, 2017, 07:39:18 am
Chad Morris may end up winning a national championship.  He may be the perfect fit for Arkansas in the long run.  We shall see.  Where this hire fails is not in the potential for wins and losses, but the inability to unite the fanbase.  We are at a time of complete and utter apathy after five years of Bret Bielema.  The stadium is half empty at a time where it is being expanded.  Arkansas needed a coach that would win the press conference.  One who would get the fan base excited again and increasing ticket sales, with whether or not he ultimately won or lost being irrelevant at this point.  The University of Arkansas failed with this hire.
How about one that wins games? Frick the press conferences.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Seebs

It is not that you are shortsighted or stupid .. it is that you are both.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Hogarusa

You dont hang banners for winning a press conference and you dont fill seats from a hire announcement. Winning cures all blues and negativity.
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Dannyluvssonic

Show some evidence that he can do that either.

a0ashle

That's the best you have? We'll shoot this was a great hire then.

Dannyluvssonic

Ya'll continue to drink the kool aid then.  The U of A knew you would swallow this and love it.

a0ashle

Quote from: Dannyluvssonic on December 06, 2017, 07:44:14 am
Show some evidence that he can do that either.

Wait wait wait....was OP not the best reason you have, so now you are switching? Don't abondon your best argument so fast!

a0ashle

Quote from: Dannyluvssonic on December 06, 2017, 07:46:11 am
Ya'll continue to drink the kool aid then.  The U of A knew you would swallow this and love it.

Came in weak and got turned away in 5 posts, wow.

Peter Porker

Bielema won the press conference. You see where that got us.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

ifghog

I just want him to win. Maybe he will...maybe he won't. I am on Board with this hire.

naturalbornpigger

Unite the fan base?  Really?  All that takes is winning.  Which requires good recruiting and good coaching.  We don't need a cheerleader who is concerned about a bunch of pouting fans.

CDBHawg

jjdlc

I won't call it a bad hire yet, I'm going to get behind him, and give him a chance.  But otherwise, I agree with your premise, this wasn't the hire that Arkansas needed up front.  Morris is going to face an uphill battle with a lot of fans from day one.  Any bad losses early and things will get really ugly fast.  While CBB wasn't necessarily the hire many wanted at the time, there was a general excitement about him given his history, fans were able to largely overlook our struggles in year 1 because of that, I'm afraid Morris won't have that luxury.

edt

Rudy Baylor

Quote from: farmhawg on December 06, 2017, 07:42:07 am
How about one that wins games?

that would have been nice too

Bret Bielema's first three years here cleaning up John L Smith was better than Morris' three years at SMU

Dannyluvssonic

David†

pigz

You guys have a good time frig dancing

Ironhawg

Quote from: Dannyluvssonic on December 06, 2017, 07:50:57 am
14-22

So who do you suggest Arkansas hires?  Do you realize the challenges of coaching Arkansas in the SEC West right now?  Have you considered that top level coaches might not be exactly lining up for this job? 

Hog N Bama

Ut ummmm..results on the field are what matters.   Geeze

jimmur74

Thats is your opinion and I fully disagree.
I wasnt fully on board at first glance. However, dont judge a book by its cover. This guy gets it , he knows texas, he knows offense. He also knows he must field a competitive Defense in the SEC. sit back and watch.

HBTHogs

"He may end up winning a national championship", but he won't win the press conference so he's a bad hire?  WTH?

Hawgzinbowlz

100% disagree. Until CCM proves he doesn't deserve our support a true Hog fan will support this hire. " GO HOGS "

HotlantaHog

We don't need to win the press conference. Arkansas needs to win games. That will unite the fan base.

John L Smith won the press conference. Bret Bielema won the press conference. Petrino did NOT win the press conference -- it was late at night, he left the Falcons with an embarrassing note, and he seemed sheepish at times.... He DID win lots of games before the motorcycle disaster.

Forget the press conference. Arkansas fans were never going to be united, unless Gus took the job -- and even he had a lot of detractors. Win games and Arkansas will be united.

PermianPig

The hire hasn't even been made yet. 
Either way.  If its going to happen, you got to get behind him.

Jonbo

Patience, Grasshopper! The fanbase will be united by Razorbacks victories. The initial reaction to the coaching hire will dissipate in short order to rarely be brought up any more.

GlassofSwine

Reuniting the fan-base is overrated. What Arkansas needs to do is higher the right coach. If he wins than everyone will love him and if he loses he'll be sent packing. Same with every coaching hire.

Hoggie17

Quote from: Rudy Baylor on December 06, 2017, 07:50:43 am

that would have been nice too

Bret Bielema's first three years here cleaning up John L Smith was better than Morris' three years at SMU
Wrong, they were spent converting a winning CBP system, to a losing Big 10 smash mouth system that CBB failed at.

h@wgfan4life

Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on December 06, 2017, 07:54:10 am
100% disagree. Until CCM proves he doesn't deserve our support a true Hog fan will support this hire. " GO HOGS "
This

PorkRinds

What decides if it is a good/bad hire is the wins. If he wins, it was a great hire.

bballjws2004

Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on December 06, 2017, 07:54:10 am
+1

Razor1997

If he wins, he will unite the fanbase.

At this point I would be okay with Kenny Hatfield's flexbone if it wins us 9-10 games.

colt07

1. Unless I missed it Morris has not been hired 'officially' yet.

2. We live in Atlanta. Make the flight for every Hog game and try to make a couple of away games which are pretty much always closer to us! Sit in the club seats (where service is terrible) and make fairly significant donation to Foundation. The old Atlanta Braves announcer the late Ernie Johnson made the following statement that applies to the Hogs now, "The best promotion for a sports team is winning!".

3. It does seem as if the ARK media is really pushing this guy.

4. Don't know much about him, but this seems to be a gamble. Have you seen the SMU stadium. It is behind the Bush presidential library. There are high school stadiums here in ATL bigger that SMU's stadium. Playing in the SEC will be significantly tougher.

5. Now if he were to bring Clemson DC, things might be better. I doubt that happens, but who knows.

I was hoping for a significant upgrade from CBB. I believe Miles, Leach, or Kiffin would have been better. However, they may have already said no. We sure will not ever know.

nwahogs

There isn't a coach out there that would unite this fan base. Have you not been reading the coach search forum this past week?

WashitawTiger

The reason many consider it a bad hire is because those folks are comparing it to other schools' hires and process. As a Mizzou fan that grew up a Hog fan, I am all too familiar with the thought that my team/school is a job worthy of the top candidates and those candidates should beg for the chance at the job. My jaded view and reality often do not mesh. I think that is the case here.

Dirty

Quote from: Seebs on December 06, 2017, 07:43:21 am
It is not that you are shortsighted or stupid .. it is that you are both.

Love it!

pigz

Quote from: nwahogs on December 06, 2017, 08:10:38 am
There isn't a coach out there that would unite this fan base. Have you not been reading the coach search forum this past week?

He's got a point
You guys have a good time frig dancing

hobhog

Just go to the games and see what happens. Good grief.

Redhogs

Quote from: Peter Porker on December 06, 2017, 07:48:19 am
Bielema won the press conference. You see where that got us.
Ain't that the truth.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

EastTNHog

Quote from: thebigshot on December 06, 2017, 07:51:08 am
But you want to sit here and pull the one game Little Rock has knowing dang well Fayetteville can't fill the stadium as well? Not to mention what's being built as well. Give me a break dude. Arkansas will always be at the lower of the sec we aren't good enough to compete in the conference anymore. History will continue. We won't never win the conference or a championship. Typical Arkansas will get lucky with 9 to 10 wins every once in awhile. Some people treat this program lot higher than it really is when it hasn't done jack crap since the holtz. Arkansas will be better if it went to a difference conference. Arkansas is not an sec team. The results don't lie.....
Petrino says hello.

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: farmhawg on December 06, 2017, 07:42:07 am
How about one that wins games? Frick the press conferences.

You don't have to win the press conference. If you win on the field, you win. Period.

If we learned nothing from Bret's admin, it's thay podium victories are fun, but hollow.