Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

April 19, 2024, 01:13:31 pm

Kevin Scanlon still in play for AD

Started by harrisburghog, December 04, 2017, 04:23:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

harrisburghog

Despite rumors to the contrary, Scanlon is still a possibility for the AD job, apparently he interviewed for the job last week, from the ADG this morning:

"UA Chancellor Joe Steinmetz is believed to have interviewed Tulsa Athletic Director Derrick Gragg on Sunday evening and former Arkansas quarterback Kevin Scanlon late last week"

SemperFi

This is great news. Thanks for posting!
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

harrisburghog

Not only would Kevin Scanlon be a great AD he would rally and unite the fan base. Dr. Gragg hired Frank Haith at Tulsa. Haith had twice ran afoul of the NCAA, at Miami and Missouri. This type of decision making alone should disqualify Dr. Gragg for the AD position.

Kneph13

There is no Political Correctness in war

HoggyCat

Quote from: Kneph13 on December 04, 2017, 06:34:56 am
A Gragg hire will end up Garbage.

I wanted Gragg, but after doing about 30 seconds worth of research and finding he hired Haith... that turned me off.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HoggyCat on December 04, 2017, 06:40:59 am
I wanted Gragg, but after doing about 30 seconds worth of research and finding he hired Haith... that turned me off.

You mean every hire done in the past by an AD candidate has to be perfect? Wow, the job might stay open forever.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

King Kong

I wonder if Scanlon's history with Monte Kiffin could help sway things in Lane Kiffin's direction

I think Gragg would do well also

buldozer

Glad to hear this great news! I was not excited about Gragg at all.

East Clintwood

I thought his wife had vetoed the move th NWA.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

rhog1

I was reading the Tulsa message board to see what they thought about Gragg to Arkansas. A lot of them were happy to see him go. There may be some problems with him.

ImYourHoggleberry

The Razorback Foundation jet is in the air headed for NYC. Gragg is in NYC for a National Football Foundation event today. Scanlon out.

okiehawg

The Haith hire doesn't bother me. Gragg is the AD at a mid major program and took a chance on a renegade who has had success at big programs. He was trying to make some noise...

I'd still rather have Scanlon and keep Stephens happy!

hawgon

Quote from: okiehawg on December 04, 2017, 08:30:59 am
The Haith hire doesn't bother me. Gragg is the AD at a mid major program and took a chance on a renegade who has had success at big programs. He was trying to make some noise...

I'd still rather have Scanlon and keep Stephens happy!

Since Wally is a Stephens puppet and he was advocating giving Horton a shot in his column the other day, I'm fine with Stephens being a little unhappy in this instance.

Uncle Remus

I have nothing against Gragg and will be fine with that hire if that is the direction they go.  Having said that...I would really like to see Kevin Scanlon get the AD job.  I love his background...first as a Razorback, and secondly, what better financial background could you want?  I think the state could definitely get behind this hire as it would be "one of our own".  He knows the landscape, he knows the fanbase, and I think he will do a great job.  Go get him...let's please announce somebody for something!!!

HoggyCat

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 04, 2017, 06:50:22 am
You mean every hire done in the past by an AD candidate has to be perfect? Wow, the job might stay open forever.

Not when he was 2 for 2 and overlooked it.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

go hogues

Quote from: Uncle Remus on December 04, 2017, 08:37:28 am
I have nothing against Gragg and will be fine with that hire if that is the direction they go.  Having said that...I would really like to see Kevin Scanlon get the AD job.  I love his background...first as a Razorback, and secondly, what better financial background could you want?  I think the state could definitely get behind this hire as it would be "one of our own".  He knows the landscape, he knows the fanbase, and I think he will do a great job.  Go get him...let's please announce somebody for something!!!
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

rljjr

Quote from: HoggyCat on December 04, 2017, 06:40:59 am

I think when you're Tulsa you do what you have to do.

harrisburghog

Granny fan

okiehawg

onebadrubi

Quote from: Granny fan on December 04, 2017, 09:15:06 am
Quit messing around and hire Scanlon!

They aren't.  Scanlon had shown absolute no interest and politefully declined every mention of the job up too a few days ago.  Can't answer for what happened over the weekend, but would be completely shocked if he changed his mind.  Certainly wouldn't be disappointed. 

DeltaBoy

Either one would be a great hire.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HF#1

Quote from: hawgon on December 04, 2017, 08:33:39 am
Since Wally is a Stephens puppet and he was advocating giving Horton a shot in his column the other day, I'm fine with Stephens being a little unhappy in this instance.

Stop acting like you know anything about Stephens.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

HOGINTENNESSEE

ricepig

Quote from: onebadrubi on December 04, 2017, 09:30:19 am
They aren't.  Scanlon had shown absolute no interest and politefully declined every mention of the job up too a few days ago.  Can't answer for what happened over the weekend, but would be completely shocked if he changed his mind.  Certainly wouldn't be disappointed. 

He interviewed late last week for it.

HF#1

Quote from: onebadrubi on December 04, 2017, 09:30:19 am

I wouldn't say he has shown no interest. I think his interest has been closely guarded. I also think he had to take some time to figure out if he was truly interested in the job. It won't be easy for him to leave Stephens.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

kenhog19

Scanlon has quite a few grandchildren living in LR, and I'm sure these family considerations play a role in his decision.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: East Clintwood on December 04, 2017, 07:33:23 am
I thought his wife had vetoed the move th NWA.

Probably vetoed the paycut required. You know Christmas shopping has begun.........................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

The NewEra

My preferences would be Scanlon or Bowen.

SquidBilly

Given the nature of the ADs job is it unrealistic to think that Scanlon could stay in Little Rock and do it?  He'd have direct reports on the hill that could help him with unplanned issues that arise in Fayetteville.  He probably travels a fair bit now for his job with Stephens so that shouldn't be a deal breaker for him to go to Fayetteville a few times a month.

longtimeHogfan

I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

onebadrubi

Quote from: HF#1 on December 04, 2017, 10:41:23 am
I wouldn't say he has shown no interest. I think his interest has been closely guarded. I also think he had to take some time to figure out if he was truly interested in the job. It won't be easy for him to leave Stephens.

I am not sure how else I could have said it, Scanlon made it very clear very early on to ANYONE who wanted to know he was not interested.  Rumors came out about his wife not wanting to move, we moved on to wanting a sitting AD, etc.  Scanlon did not want it from the beginning.  He did discuss the idea out of politeness to certain people who have a lot of power, pull, and money around the state, but it was all out of respect.  I've said it since Long was fired and Scanlon's name was mentioned and I am not just pulling this out of thin air.  I've been direct on this subject from the get go and those you who know my posting style, I'll tell you when it's my opinion or my thought or if it's something I know, this wasn't my opinion. 

onebadrubi

livevanguy

Call'n the hogs from the Pacific Northwest

hobhog

Quote from: Bret Squealema on December 04, 2017, 02:59:13 pm
Given the nature of the ADs job is it unrealistic to think that Scanlon could stay in Little Rock and do it?  He'd have direct reports on the hill that could help him with unplanned issues that arise in Fayetteville.  He probably travels a fair bit now for his job with Stephens so that shouldn't be a deal breaker for him to go to Fayetteville a few times a month.

Hilarious. You have no idea what an AD does do you?

flagstaffhog

I reckon this thread is to be considered trash now....
Go HOGS Go!