Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brohm brings the Petrino system but none of the Petrino baggage

Started by BoynamedWooPigSooie, September 12, 2017, 07:04:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BoynamedWooPigSooie

I've thought PJ Fleck would be great at the U. of Arkansas. He's cut-throat and actually goes out and recruits talented players without the uncommon excuses for any laziness.  He can motivate and he has his guy's backs and it shows on the field.

Many people want Mike Leach. The pirate running tFlagship is a nice storyline and he'd make football fun again. However, he wouldn't recruit to the hill like is needed and the Arkansas job is a retirement payday at the moment. We're suckers in the coaching market w/ Jeff Long at the helm. This isn't where a young up and coming ego-concerned coach would stake his future on at the moment. The SEC has peaked, the coaching talent in the conference is down considerably and the teams around the SEC will reflect that. No-one concerned about their future coaching legacy is willing to get shredded in SEC West but that issue should be lessened over the next few years.

Arkansas needs an innovative guy with passion and a ridiculous work ethic. I think Jeff Brohm should be one of the key guys to target.  Like stated in the title he brings the Petrino system which we know can work at Arkansas but he doesn't have the assholery that you get with Petrino. I think he can recruit to Arkansas and with the 2019 in-state class looking like it will be the best ever, the Hogs really can't afford to lame-duck Bielema around to 2020. We've seen what Bielema is willing to do and can do, it just isn't up to snuff. I'm glad we don't have a team of marauding criminals like at Alabama, Baylor, Ole Miss, Florida St., Florida, Oklahoma and what we had in the Holtz and Petrino eras.  In major college football nice guys do finish last.

Brohm has the resume, he's shown he can turn teams around. Purdue is already looking light years better than they have in decades and he didn't need a 4 year excuse of getting his guys. I don't have any clue what Brohm is like to be around or how his personality is but I do have faith that he isn't a train-wreck like Petrino and Bielema have proven to be. Bielema is a fraud, if any of you have believed a single pre-season word out of his mouth the past two years then you're also part of the problem. 

Hopefully the people in charge decide they want to win again.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

Hollywood_HOGan45

hoglady

His Purdue team gave Petrino's Louisville team all they could handle for a while in the first game.
I expect that team to be much more competitive than they've been in many, many years in the Big 10.
He took over an abysmal program and is making them look respectable.
He's got 2 QB's who can air it out.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Poker_hog

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on September 12, 2017, 07:04:32 pm
I've thought PJ Fleck would be great at the U. of Arkansas. He's cut-throat and actually goes out and recruits talented players without the uncommon excuses for any laziness.  He can motivate and he has his guy's backs and it shows on the field.

Many people want Mike Leach. The pirate running tFlagship is a nice storyline and he'd make football fun again. However, he wouldn't recruit to the hill like is needed and the Arkansas job is a retirement payday at the moment. We're suckers in the coaching market w/ Jeff Long at the helm. This isn't where a young up and coming ego-concerned coach would stake his future on at the moment. The SEC has peaked, the coaching talent in the conference is down considerably and the teams around the SEC will reflect that. No-one concerned about their future coaching legacy is willing to get shredded in SEC West but that issue should be lessened over the next few years.

Arkansas needs an innovative guy with passion and a ridiculous work ethic. I think Jeff Brohm should be one of the key guys to target.  Like stated in the title he brings the Petrino system which we know can work at Arkansas but he doesn't have the assholery that you get with Petrino. I think he can recruit to Arkansas and with the 2019 in-state class looking like it will be the best ever, the Hogs really can't afford to lame-duck Bielema around to 2020. We've seen what Bielema is willing to do and can do, it just isn't up to snuff. I'm glad we don't have a team of marauding criminals like at Alabama, Baylor, Ole Miss, Florida St., Florida, Oklahoma and what we had in the Holtz and Petrino eras.  In major college football nice guys do finish last.

Brohm has the resume, he's shown he can turn teams around. Purdue is already looking light years better than they have in decades and he didn't need a 4 year excuse of getting his guys. I don't have any clue what Brohm is like to be around or how his personality is but I do have faith that he isn't a train-wreck like Petrino and Bielema have proven to be. Bielema is a fraud, if any of you have believed a single pre-season word out of his mouth the past two years then you're also part of the problem. 

That's great and all but I have a few questions before we get to far down this path.

1.  What are his players gpa?
2.  How important is winning to him on a scale of 1 to 10?  (1- not important 10 win at all costs)
3.  Does he recruit his own problems?
4.  Can he hire assistants with no experience?
5.  How does he feel about insane buyouts with no strings attached?
6.  Can he speak hoganease?
7.  Will he wear a wind breaker in the august heat?
8.  Will he be offended if we call him Bert?
9.  Does he prefer to use  scholarship offensive lineman?
10.  Can he write a hand written note to our beloved AD
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

Bebop

OP, you, me, and some other hog fans are on the same page. Brohm looks like he could be a great coach if he continues to turn Purdue around.

I watched the Purdue vs. Louisville game and Purdue almost beat Louisville. A first year coach who has not recruited his players almost beats a Heisman lead team with a great offensive coach. From what  I know about Brohm, he seems like he might be a great coach with none of the moral hang-ups as Bobby.

HillBillyHogfan

Quote from: Poker_hog on September 12, 2017, 07:18:03 pm
That's great and all but I have a few questions before we get to far down this path.

2.  How important is winning to him on a scale of 1 to 10?  (1- not important 10 win at all costs)

this post should go into the hogville hall of fame
Observations from the holler... Maker of Newton County's best corn-squeezins'  @HillbillyHogfan

BoynamedWooPigSooie

hahahahahaha  great questions.  Let me try to shed a little light on those.

1.  Who cares, it's their responsibility. In the Bielema era Hog players need to have good GPA's because they are not going to be drafted. Agim has gone from a first rounder to being lucky to be a 5th rounder by end of next year.  Body by Herb is a myth and is a cruel joke being played on Hog fans.

2. I'd venture to say he skews on the upper end, probably around 8ish. He took on the WKU and Purdue jobs for goodness sake. He has confidence in his abilities by taking traditional doormat jobs.  We're a doormat now, we need a guy that's not afraid of a challenge.

3. Nah, he recruits the next guy's problems like they all do these days.

4. This is the one thing that has bugged me the most about Bielema. His ego or stupidity did not allow him to hire guys with SEC experience. Gus however went out and got the best recruiters he could get that had relevant SEC experience. He was at least smart enough to know that he needed some SEC hands on deck. Now Gus' ego gets in the way of letting those guys do what he hired them to do but that's another story. Bielema is too dumb to even realize that you need guys that know the lay of the land down here. I think Brohm is smart enough to evaluate the situation and plan accordingly.

5. That's an agent thing, Jeff Long has a penchant for getting bent over the negotiating table and signing deals that the fans do not want (ie Coke/Pepsi, overabundance of corporate signage and loss of the traditional collegiate campus experience). Any coach will take a huge buyout that gives them job security for 5-7 years and lets them dick off and collect millions. I've long thought that coaching jobs should be on a commission based structure. Wins = pay, benchmarks for pay over guarantees w/ tax payer money.

6. No one can speak hoganese, it's why the players are so confused, can't line up, make wrong reads and don't play together very well.

7. Looks like he's a ballcap and polo kind of guy.  He fits in better w/ Arkansas fans than Bielema ever hoped for. I cringed everytime I saw Bielema on TV in wrinkly clothes, ill-fitting terribly color-coordinated suits and rocking flip flops around the office.  Brohm is also not an obese POS, he talks the talk and walks the walk. Bielema only talks.

8. I don't believe so. Bielema is a thin-skinned pansy. I've NEVER, and I mean NEVER seen a football coach cry as much as Bielema. He's soft and that's why his teams have no heart, give up the second half, have never won a game when trailing at halftime here at Arkansas and have terrible leadership.

9. haha.  I assume Brohm can recruit and manage a roster to have a 2 deep of scholarship players. My biggest gripe about this 3-4 defense smoke screen to get 2 more years of a pass is that we didn't have the LBrs to field 3 decent ones, but we were going to all of a sudden have enough capable LBrs to have a 2 deep? Can't run 8 LBrs when you never had the bodies or the talent field a decent starting LBr corp.

10. Nah, he's emailing or texting. He's efficient. He might actually send over a singing telegram or an edible arrangement.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Bebop on September 12, 2017, 07:26:43 pm
OP, you, me, and some other hog fans are on the same page. Brohm looks like he could be a great coach if he continues to turn Purdue around.

I watched the Purdue vs. Louisville game and Purdue almost beat Louisville. A first year coach who has not recruited his players almost beats a Heisman lead team with a great offensive coach. From what  I know about Brohm, he seems like he might be a great coach with none of the moral hang-ups as Bobby.

This would be a great hire.  I was just thinking about how good we were with Petrino here and it made me sad.  I don't want him back, but Brohm would be great!

The Hogfather

Also, I absolutely do not want Fleck.  He's a gimmicky guy and will fizzle out.  Too corny.  Wouldn't work in the SEC.

#1Fan

11.  Does he recruit uncommon players?

Großer Kriegschwein

This is my non-signature signature.

EastexHawg

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on September 12, 2017, 07:40:22 pm

9. haha.  I assume Brohm can recruit and manage a roster to have a 2 deep of scholarship players. My biggest gripe about this 3-4 defense smoke screen to get 2 more years of a pass is that we didn't have the LBrs to field 3 decent ones, but we were going to all of a sudden have enough capable LBrs to have a 2 deep? Can't run 8 LBrs when you never had the bodies or the talent field a decent starting LBr corp.

Thank you for pointing out the obvious.  When I heard about the rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic 3-4 plan I wondered where the linebackers were going to come from.

But...he couldn't very well say, "We're standing pat." Not after last year.

You Guys were touting Brohm so I went and looked him up.  Sounds like a Guy with energy and leadership abilities and his past record is very good.  His choice of schemes would have at least a chance of working.  It appears he plans to try and hit them where they least expect it on offense. and he seems to be able to spell defense without having to be tutored.  Young at 46.  I would actually hope someone like him or him would at least get the opportunity to apply for our job.  Of course the job would have to be open and that isn't likely anytime soon .  Looked up Fleck too,  Like Brohm better.

Großer Kriegschwein

Of course it was to buy more time. At the end of year one, there will not have been enough time to completely install. So he just needs another year. 

We need to pull chock on this before it starts.
This is my non-signature signature.

Pig in the Pokey

;D :) :D :P :'( :D ;) :) BRUH!!

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: The Hogfather on September 12, 2017, 07:47:43 pm
Also, I absolutely do not want Fleck.  He's a gimmicky guy and will fizzle out.  Too corny.  Wouldn't work in the SEC.
completely agreeed. Look how much darn Butch jones gets and multiply that by 100 w/ Fleck. And, I dont wanna row the boat, yo.
Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on September 12, 2017, 07:40:22 pm

1.  Who cares, it's their responsibility. In the Bielema era Hog players need to have good GPA's because they are not going to be drafted. Agim has gone from a first rounder to being lucky to be a 5th rounder by end of next year.  Body by Herb is a myth and is a cruel joke being played on Hog fans.

2. I'd venture to say he skews on the upper end, probably around 8ish. He took on the WKU and Purdue jobs for goodness sake. He has confidence in his abilities by taking traditional doormat jobs.  We're a doormat now, we need a guy that's not afraid of a challenge.

3. Nah, he recruits the next guy's problems like they all do these days.

4. This is the one thing that has bugged me the most about Bielema. His ego or stupidity did not allow him to hire guys with SEC experience. Gus however went out and got the best recruiters he could get that had relevant SEC experience. He was at least smart enough to know that he needed some SEC hands on deck. Now Gus' ego gets in the way of letting those guys do what he hired them to do but that's another story. Bielema is too dumb to even realize that you need guys that know the lay of the land down here. I think Brohm is smart enough to evaluate the situation and plan accordingly.

5. That's an agent thing, Jeff Long has a penchant for getting bent over the negotiating table and signing deals that the fans do not want (ie Coke/Pepsi, overabundance of corporate signage and loss of the traditional collegiate campus experience). Any coach will take a huge buyout that gives them job security for 5-7 years and lets them dick off and collect millions. I've long thought that coaching jobs should be on a commission based structure. Wins = pay, benchmarks for pay over guarantees w/ tax payer money.

6. No one can speak hoganese, it's why the players are so confused, can't line up, make wrong reads and don't play together very well.

7. Looks like he's a ballcap and polo kind of guy.  He fits in better w/ Arkansas fans than Bielema ever hoped for. I cringed everytime I saw Bielema on TV in wrinkly clothes, ill-fitting terribly color-coordinated suits and rocking flip flops around the office.  Brohm is also not an obese POS, he talks the talk and walks the walk. Bielema only talks.

8. I don't believe so. Bielema is a thin-skinned pansy. I've NEVER, and I mean NEVER seen a football coach cry as much as Bielema. He's soft and that's why his teams have no heart, give up the second half, have never won a game when trailing at halftime here at Arkansas and have terrible leadership.

10. Nah, he's emailing or texting. He's efficient. He might actually send over a singing telegram or an edible arrangement.
Well played, man.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on September 12, 2017, 08:11:43 pm
Of course it was to buy more time. At the end of year one, there will not have been enough time to completely install. So he just needs another year. 

We need to pull chock on this before it starts.
yeah, man. And the funny thing is it's the offense darning the bed. The defense, even with warm bodies at LB has far outplayed te offense through two games. The ONE bright spot was Chase Hayden, and fattybert gave him 1 touch.

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Hmmmmmm, appears that big halftime leads can be kept against Mizzou in Columbia.

Brohm had his team playing much faster and effectively with far lesser talent than Missouri.  He's the guy for me.

Silver lining is Purdue is a Big10 team, so Jeff Long gets to hire Big10 again.

Paul

I watched Memphis best UCLA with much less talent. Norvell is a great offensive mind & has apparently said the His dream job is to coach the Hogs. Someone to keep an eye on

HawgTide

Quote from: Paul on September 16, 2017, 08:00:09 pm
I watched Memphis best UCLA with much less talent. Norvell is a great offensive mind & has apparently said the His dream job is to coach the Hogs. Someone to keep an eye on

Norvell played WR at UCA and is the career receptions leader there. He is extremely young at 35, runs a creative offense, is highly energetic and his wife is from Fort Smith. He will be moving up to a better job pretty soon

JOKERHOG

BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

thebignasty

Quote from: IronHog on March 22, 2016, 02:08:54 pm
They shoot family in Bama
But they win
Quote from: nuttless hog on January 13, 2021, 04:03:02 pm
take me almost all day to get it up to ride it 5 minutes

RebHog

Quote from: #1Fan on September 12, 2017, 07:54:29 pm
11.  Does he recruit uncommon players?

HAHA add #11 and make this a perm sticky thread for future HC prospects.  ;)

hobhog

rtr

The more smites the more intelligent I get.

j-mann

Quote from: Paul on September 16, 2017, 08:00:09 pm
this  i want Norvell
calling the hogs from Jonesboro    i have  cerebral  palsy  Rheumatoid arthritis   and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome   i cannot space  well  or spell well   but i still  love the hogs

codeHog

South Carolina fan says

Not sure how teams in the southeast let Purdue snag this guy. He's taken a god awful Purdue team (3 P5 wins the last 3 years) and made them immediately competitive. This after winning 22 games in 2 years at Western Kentucky. With all the really bad coaching in the league right now, you'd think someone would have considered this guy.

rickfahr

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on September 12, 2017, 07:04:32 pm

You contradict yourself. At one point, you say Brohm isn't the ass Petrino is. Then you say that you don't know him or his personality. So, maybe he is the ass Petrino is. As far as I'm concerned, gimme the ass Petrino any day.

King Kong

Brohm is impressive. He runs the CBP system much better than Paul or Garrick can.

KY Hog Man

Some of you who are good at making lists, please tell me why he would ever come to Arkansas?

The Hogfather

Quote from: KY Hog Man on September 17, 2017, 01:15:21 pm
Some of you who are good at making lists, please tell me why he would ever come to Arkansas?

Why wouldn't he?

hoglady

We are a better program than Purdue and he would make a lot more money.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

The Hogfather

Quote from: hoglady on September 17, 2017, 01:19:57 pm
We are a better program than Purdue and he would make a lot more money.

The guy either has a connection to Purdue or he's just trolling.  There are many reasons why Brohm would come and I can't think of one why he wouldn't.

PonderinHog

Quote from: The Hogfather on September 17, 2017, 01:21:46 pm
The guy either has a connection to Purdue or he's just trolling.  There are many reasons why Brohm would come and I can't think of one why he wouldn't.
He's waiting for Saban to retire?

hoglady

Quote from: PonderinHog on September 17, 2017, 01:24:20 pm
He's waiting for Saban to retire?

Funny you say that.
Actually Saban tried to hire him when he first got to Alabama and Brohm turned him down.

Rzback

$5,000,000 reasons
Winning Percentages (how times have changed!) Frank Broyles 71%  Lou Holtz  74%  Ken Hatfield 76%  Jack Crowe 38%  Joe Kines 35%  Danny Ford 47% Houston Nutt 61%  Bobby Petrino 67%  John L Smith  33%  Bret Bielema 46%  Chad Morris 14%  Sam Pittman 52%

OneTuskOverTheLine™

I hate to ruin a good thread, but...

https://www.18stripes.com/notre-dame-football-head-coach-search-list-part-one/
Nov 29, 2016 - As of right now, Notre Dame is still being led by Brian Kelly and all ... mater under Bobby Petrino while coaching his younger brother Brian Brohm. .... young coach with some (rumored) adulterous baggage (he divorced last ...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Gonzo

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on September 17, 2017, 03:39:28 pm

Nov 29, 2016 - As of right now, Notre Dame is still being led by Brian Kelly and all ... mater under Bobby Petrino while coaching his younger brother Brian Brohm. .... young coach with some (rumored) adulterous baggage (he divorced last ...

Some interesting editing you seem to have done there. Are you trying to tie comments about P.J. Fleck (the adultersous stuff) to Jeff Brohm? Other than he's young with not a lot of experience yet (kinda goes hand in hand), they had nothing but positive things to say about Brohm.

Go Hogs!

Pork Ranger

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on September 17, 2017, 03:39:28 pm

Doesn't ruin anything. That link concerns PJ Fleck and really doesn't say anything. Just that he got a divorce, big deal

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Gonzo on September 17, 2017, 04:05:50 pm

Some interesting editing you seem to have done there. Are you trying to tie comments about P.J. Fleck (the adultersous stuff) to Jeff Brohm? Other than he's young with not a lot of experience yet (kinda goes hand in hand), they had nothing but positive things to say about Brohm.

Go Hogs!

Quote from: BritneySpareRibs on September 17, 2017, 04:13:12 pm
Doesn't ruin anything. That link concerns PJ Fleck and really doesn't say anything. Just that he got a divorce, big deal

No, I just lazily typed, "Jeff Brohm Baggage" into google and scrolled down. I did't read it. I was just playing Devil's Advocate and got burned.. LOL.!
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

Gonzo

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on September 17, 2017, 04:26:10 pm
No, I just lazily typed, "Jeff Brohm Baggage" into google and scrolled down. I did't read it. I was just playing Devil's Advocate and got burned.. LOL.!

Fair enough, we've all done it. No idea if he'd be a legit candidate, but if he does well this season and next (the earliest I think all but a few think the UA might make a move, if then even) he sounds like a pretty interesting option.

Go Hogs!

rtr

The more smites the more intelligent I get.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: rtr on September 17, 2017, 05:07:34 pm
A lot of places could be calling Jeff Brohm.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is what occurs after this season.

Auburn   Jeff Brohm
Texas A&M   Chad Morris
Tennessee   Mike Norvell
Nebraska   Scott Frost or Les Miles

Gonzo

I think he might be loathe to taking another job just one year into his Purdue stint. Just guessing of course, but I doubt many coaches make moves that quickly, voluntarily anyway. IF the Hogs have an opening after next season, I would at least hope he's still at Purdue and in the mix.

He is an Ohio Valley guy, born in Louisville, and other than 1 year stints as an assistant for FAU and UAB, he's pretty much stayed in the Ohio Valley area as a coach. Who knows, he may just like it up there.

Go Hogs!

oldbooniehog

Five years in, Hog fans would be screaming "FIRE BROHM! He can't get it done!"

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Gonzo on September 17, 2017, 05:27:36 pm
I think he might be loathe to taking another job just one year into his Purdue stint. Just guessing of course, but I doubt many coaches make moves that quickly, voluntarily anyway. IF the Hogs have an opening after next season, I would at least hope he's still at Purdue and in the mix.

He is an Ohio Valley guy, born in Louisville, and other than 1 year stints as an assistant for FAU and UAB, he's pretty much stayed in the Ohio Valley area as a coach. Who knows, he may just like it up there.

Go Hogs!

It's a nice place...

Gonzo

Quote from: oldbooniehog on September 17, 2017, 05:35:55 pm

Only one way to find out.

Go Hogs!

PonderinHog

Quote from: oldbooniehog on September 17, 2017, 05:35:55 pm
They'd be calling him Coach Fartfan after the first loss.

Wait, that's Broan.

Nevermind...   :-[

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi