Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If we are being Honest...

Started by Deep Shoat, October 04, 2017, 04:07:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: hogsanity on October 05, 2017, 08:36:41 am
great point that probably went by most people
Yep. Most will take it as an insult. They will not understand.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: hawgon on October 05, 2017, 07:52:44 am
No, dummy, he will fail at Arkansas regardless of whether I want him to or not.  It doesn't matter what I want.  It doesn't matter what happens this weekend.  He will fail at Arkansas.
Then again, I'm not the one puffing out my chest like some overgrown baboon or monkey claiming "I told you so". Ultimately such false bravado means nothing. Whether you or I or anyone personally like him or not ultimately means NOTHING. A true fan pulls for the team and school, not the individual of staff that's leading it. In the I care less whose name is one the name plate of the HC's office. I just care about the ultimate performance. And that, DA, is what matters in the end.

gchamblee

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 05, 2017, 08:27:37 am
Mr. Connected has spoken. We can suspend Hogville website until 2019. The End. See y'all then.

You'll be missed /s

hogcard1964

Quote from: factchecker on October 04, 2017, 09:27:32 pm
Supporting the head coach of the Razorbacks does not = "acting like he's built something here and has some sort of resume of success here".

Not everybody wants to be a wish-wash t-shirt fan who jumps from team to team at the drop of a hat.

There's literally people here that have posted as recently as yesterday, that regardless of his record this season, if he gets Arkansas to 8 or 9 wins next year, he should be given an extension.  I'm sorry but that's insanity.

mhsbc59

I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

Vantage 8 dude

October 05, 2017, 09:57:13 am #105 Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 10:14:15 am by Vantage 8 dude
Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 05, 2017, 08:24:48 am
You say you're sorry twice then end with saying you don't care. I don't understand. You sound very conflicted.

You are extreme. You interpret fans wanting to try a new head coach as a personal insult and hatred of the current coach. It's neither. We don't care about your thoughts on the program. And we do not hate the coach. Hate is a strong feeling. I hate the shooter who murdered the innocents in LV. I have zero hate for the head coach. Most adults are of same thinking. The coach is limiting the success of the team. Thus my desire for trying another at the job. That is all. Take it easy and do not take it all so personally.

From how you state your opinions, I will guess you are young. Knowledge will be gained and judgment will be improved as you get into your 30's and 40's.
Well not surprisingly you have your supposed "facts" about me totally wrong. Then again how come I totally not surprised? Just for your information I'm very much aware of my shortcomings and faults. I was raised to recognize that none of us is perfect and the moment we begin to think so then we are going down a path that will NOT end well in any way, shape, or form. Having said that, I also find your snarky comments concerning the OP's post to be incredibly arrogant and judgemental. Rather than let the post stand and readers respond, you react with a general "no need to even bring this up 'cause what I say/think goes....end of discussion". As to my lack of knowledge/judgment all I can say is that it's been my observation and experience that neither guarantees that either/both is guaranteed to improve just because someone ages. Kind of like the acknowledgement that some folks never grow up, no matter how old they may be. So perhaps in the end rather than spending your time judging me and my faults (which are many) or the "worthiness" of a particular's  poster's thread one is better served by doing some self-examination and self-improvement. If we ALL did more of this then I have no doubt this website and the world in general would be a far better place in which to live.

BTW in my original response I'm conflicted not in the least. I'm very firm in my thoughts/opinion. Otherwise I wouldn't have posted. So in the future how about trying to do less psychoanalyzing of others and rather try sticking to worrying about yourself. Seems to me that's more than a full time job in itself.

Vantage 8 dude

hawgon

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on October 05, 2017, 09:35:25 am
Then again, I'm not the one puffing out my chest like some overgrown baboon or monkey claiming "I told you so". Ultimately such false bravado means nothing. Whether you or I or anyone personally like him or not ultimately means NOTHING. A true fan pulls for the team and school, not the individual of staff that's leading it. In the I care less whose name is one the name plate of the HC's office. I just care about the ultimate performance. And that, DA, is what matters in the end.

I didn't say "I told you so".  You told me that I would say that if we lost.  I merely replied that I would get to say that regardless of what happens on Saturday.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: hawgon on October 05, 2017, 09:59:11 am
I didn't say "I told you so".  You told me that I would say that if we lost.  I merely replied that I would get to say that regardless of what happens on Saturday.
So you aren't denying the fact that you posted the "I told you so" remark; that's at least being honest. BTW my answer to you had nothing at all to do with what happens this weekend. It obviously has to do with what happens in the  end as to whether the Hogs are successful OVER THE ENTIRE SEASON. In that case I repeat that your approach seems to put far more importance on the accuracy of your views above the success/lack thereof of the team in general. Almost as if you detest CBB/staff enough to sacrifice the team's accomplishments/success for the mere sake of being proven right in the end. And if that's the case then you're damn right I take major exception.....as should every true Hog fan.

hawgon

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on October 05, 2017, 10:09:41 am
So you aren't denying the fact that you posted the "I told you so" remark; that's at least being honest. BTW my answer to you had nothing at all to do with what happens this weekend. It obviously has to do with what happens in then end as to whether the Hogs are successful OVER THE ENTIRE SEASON. In that case I repeat that your approach seems to put far more importance on the accuracy of your views above the success/lack thereof of the team in general. Almost as if you detest CBB/staff enough to sacrifice the team's accomplishments/success for the mere sake of being proven right in the end. And if that's the case then you're damn right I take major exception.....as should every true Hog fan.

Dude, stop it with the false outrage.  I never came in this thread saying that, but I will if I want to.  And I have no power to sacrifice the team's accomplishments one way or the other.  Are you a child?  Do you believe in the power of voodoo hexes? 

I am merely telling you that I WILL be proven right in the end, through no efforts of my own.  It is as simple as looking up and saying "The sky is blue".  I did nothing to make it so.  It merely is an observation.  Your reaction is as childish as being mad at me over the fact that the sky is not red as you would wish it to be.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: hawgon on October 05, 2017, 10:17:53 am
Dude, stop it with the false outrage.  I never came in this thread saying that, but I will if I want to.  And I have no power to sacrifice the team's accomplishments one way or the other.  Are you a child?  Do you believe in the power of voodoo hexes? 

I am merely telling you that I WILL be proven right in the end, through no efforts of my own.  It is as simple as looking up and saying "The sky is blue".  I did nothing to make it so.  It merely is an observation.  Your reaction is as childish as being mad at me over the fact that the sky is not red as you would wish it to be.
Okay you stated YOUR opinion. Fine. That in itself should be sufficient. What I find offensive is your "rubbing a nose in it" approach/post. No one needs to be have your prediction called "front and center". In doing so that in the end it appears that's really the most important thing to you; not whether or not the Hogs are indeed successful means nothing.

One other thing: don't try to tell me that my outrage is somehow false or insincere. I can promise you, like it or not, it is very genuine.

hawgon

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on October 05, 2017, 10:23:23 am
Okay you stated YOUR opinion. Fine. That in itself should be sufficient. What I find offensive is your "rubbing a nose in it" approach/post. No one needs to be have your prediction called "front and center". In doing so that in the end it appears that's really the most important thing to you; not whether or not the Hogs are indeed successful.

They won't be under this coach.  You see I ACTUALLY want them to be successful, not just suffer in perpetual mediocrity while I feel good about myself.  In order to do that, we must move on from the era of Bert.

RME

Quote from: hawgon on October 05, 2017, 10:25:53 am
They won't be under this coach.  You see I ACTUALLY want them to be successful, not just suffer in perpetual mediocrity while I feel good about myself.  In order to do that, we must move on from the era of Bert.

Do you know the University of Arkansas Razorbacks football team's all-time winning percentage?

Do you know what that winning percentage translates to in terms of the number of wins in a 12 game season?

hawgon

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on October 05, 2017, 10:27:52 am
Do you know the University of Arkansas Razorbacks football team's all-time winning percentage?

Do you know what that winning percentage translates to in terms of the number of wins in a 12 game season?

Yes, I actually do but apparently you do not or you wouldn't have mentioned the 12 win season.  That makes Bert look even worse.

RME

Quote from: hawgon on October 05, 2017, 10:33:19 am
Yes, I actually do but apparently you do not or you wouldn't have mentioned the 12 win season.  That makes Bert look even worse.

Try again. Read it again, more slowly this time. Let your reading comprehension skills do their job.

mhsbc59

I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

HognotinMemphis

I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on October 05, 2017, 09:57:13 am
Well not surprisingly you have your supposed "facts" about me totally wrong. Then again how come I totally not surprised? Just for your information I'm very much aware of my shortcomings and faults. I was raised to recognize that none of us is perfect and the moment we begin to think so then we are going down a path that will NOT end well in any way, shape, or form. Having said that, I also find your snarky comments concerning the OP's post to be incredibly arrogant and judgemental. Rather than let the post stand and readers respond, you react with a general "no need to even bring this up 'cause what I say/think goes....end of discussion". As to my lack of knowledge/judgment all I can say is that it's been my observation and experience that neither guarantees that either/both is guaranteed to improve just because someone ages. Kind of like the acknowledgement that some folks never grow up, no matter how old they may be. So perhaps in the end rather than spending your time judging me and my faults (which are many) or the "worthiness" of a particular's  poster's thread one is better served by doing some self-examination and self-improvement. If we ALL did more of this then I have no doubt this website and the world in general would be a far better place in which to live.

BTW in my original response I'm conflicted not in the least. I'm very firm in my thoughts/opinion. Otherwise I wouldn't have posted. So in the future how about trying to do less psychoanalyzing of others and rather try sticking to worrying about yourself. Seems to me that's more than a full time job in itself.
Very specific. I didn't read all. Not important. Relax. I described you 100% accurately. Your reply tells me so. Best wishes.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 05, 2017, 10:45:08 am
Very specific. I didn't read all. Not important. Relax. I described you 100% accurately. Your reply tells me so. Best wishes.
Your own admission that "I didn't read all" tells me everything I need to". Your reply tells me so. You described yourself 100% accurately....see how that works ??? ::)

EastexHawg

Do you know how many people used to be killed or crippled by smallpox and polio before vaccines were invented?  Who bases the present and the future solely on past history?

By the way, to answer your question, from the time Frank Broyles arrived in 1958 through the 2011 season...54 years of Arkansas football...our cumulative record was 396 wins, 219 losses, and 10 ties.  That comes out to a winning percentage of .642.  Based on a 13 game season, that means we would have averaged 8.34 wins and 4.66 losses.  Over the last five years we have averaged 5.8 wins and 6.8 losses.  That includes Smiley's 2012 record.  Under Bielema we have averaged 6.25 wins and 6.5 losses.

Apparently there is a point here that needs to be made, but I'm not sure it's the one you are hoping for.

RME

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 05, 2017, 11:24:11 am
Do you know how many people used to be killed or crippled by smallpox and polio before vaccines were invented?  Who bases the present and the future solely on past history?

By the way, to answer your question, from the time Frank Broyles arrived in 1958 through the 2011 season...54 years of Arkansas football...our cumulative record was 396 wins, 219 losses, and 10 ties.  That comes out to a winning percentage of .642.  Based on a 13 game season, that means we would have averaged 8.34 wins and 4.66 losses.  Over the last five years we have averaged 5.8 wins and 6.8 losses.  That includes Smiley's 2012 record.  Under Bielema we have averaged 6.25 wins and 6.5 losses.

Apparently there is a point here that needs to be made, but I'm not sure it's the one you are hoping for.

Well, my point was that Arkansas' all-time winning percentage is .590, which, in a 12-game season, comes out to 7.1 wins per season. My point was some will call that "mediocre," but history and trends show that's just what our program is.

The point is that it's stupid to get pissed off and bitch and moan over a "mediocre" 7-win season. If that's the case, the history of Arkansas Razorbacks football is mediocre.

As you stated, Bielema averages 6.25 through four full years. Less than one more win per year during his tenure puts us right on track with our program's history. If he pulls out 8 wins this year, statistically speaking, that'll be an above average season for us.

And no, I don't settle for 7 wins. I want and expect more. But I don't go off the [CENSORED] rails or foam at the mouth when we don't win 10 games a season when, historically, we're a 7 win per season program. Based on your opening statement, I guess we're still in search of a miracle vaccine.

hawgon

Because, yes, our winning percentage from 1906 to 1958 is important to today.

See, Easttex, here is what you have to remember when arguing with these Bert/mediocrity defenders when talking about past winning percentages.  If you are talking about our past to illustrate that we were once very successful and part of the college football elite, our winning percentages are to be dismissed because they were part of the old SWC and everyone knows the SEC is more difficult.  If you wish to downgrade the program and show our historic mediocrity, then by all means we must show all that futility we went through in the 1920s,30s, and 40s so that we can emphasize our historic mediocrity more clearly.

RME

Quote from: hawgon on October 05, 2017, 11:41:58 am

See, Easttex, here is what you have to remember when arguing with these Bert/mediocrity defenders when talking about past winning percentages.  If you are talking about our past to illustrate that we were once very successful and part of the college football elite, our winning percentages are to be dismissed because they were part of the old SWC and everyone knows the SEC is more difficult.  If you wish to downgrade the program and show our historic mediocrity, then by all means we must show all that futility we went through in the 1920s,30s, and 40s so that we can emphasize our historic mediocrity more clearly.

By all means, pick a usable sample size of seasons and find our winning percentage. Even the sample size EastTex used accounted for a whopping 1.3 more wins per season than our historical average based on a 12-game season.

1.3 more wins! Now we're cookin'. Those 1.3 extra wins really pull us out of the depths of mediocrity in your eyes, don't they?

Nah, they don't. You expect double-digit wins per season with nothing to base it on apart from 2 recent seasons.

hawgon

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on October 05, 2017, 11:46:37 am
By all means, pick a usable sample size of seasons and find our winning percentage. Even the sample size EastTex used accounted for a whopping 1.3 more wins per season than our historical average based on 12 games.

1.3 more wins! Now we're cookin'.

Frank Broyles averaged 8 to 8.5 wins per season in 11 game seasons.

And that is 11 with a bowl.

Hogwild

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on October 04, 2017, 04:42:10 pm

Heck, as I think about it and while we're being honest, 9-4 IS a special season for UA in the SECW.

It shouldn't be, next season we play 4 OOC against non Power 5 schools, plus we play Vandy and Missouri from the East, that's 6 wins before we even play at team from the West.  Now you only need to win 3 games against the West.  Which includes two games at home against teams without real head coaches, Ole Miss & LSU. 

hogcard1964

He's 27 and 28 overall.  That translates to winning 5.9 games per year.  In the SEC he's 10-23, which translates into winning 3 SEC games per year.

...which is dreadful.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: hawgon on October 05, 2017, 10:25:53 am
IMO you're NOW moving toward the approach that should have taken all along. Instead of "Hey look at my prediction that we'll fail" perhaps it would have been far better to have said something along the lines of "Look, I truly want the team to succeed no matter who the coach might be; however, I just don't think he can/will get it done". Amazing how just changing a few words and tone can make a huge difference in how it can be interpreted even if the intention was innocent.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: hawgon on October 05, 2017, 11:48:21 am

He averaged 7.7 wins per season over 19 years at Arkansas.  Including Bowl wins.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Hogwild on October 05, 2017, 11:49:08 am
It shouldn't be, next season we play 4 OOC against non Power 5 schools, plus we play Vandy and Missouri from the East, that's 6 wins before we even play at team from the West.  Now you only need to win 3 games against the West.  Which includes two games at home against teams without real head coaches, Ole Miss & LSU. 

Maybe for next season, but generally speaking, 9-4 is special for us in the SEC.  No doubt about it.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

RME

So you're gonna bitch about historical trends, but turn around and choose a sample size ranging from 59 (1958) - 41 (1976) years ago.

Makes sense.

Bubba's Bruisers

I fail to see the significance of our performance over 4 decades ago.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

hogsanity

Is the win % from 58 to 91 important? How about just since joining the sec, the conference we play in now? Do you know what the win % is in those 25 seasons? It is .57 just so you don't ave to do the work. 167 in 294 games since joining the sec, if you want to add in this year it is 169 out of 296.   Or is that point in time also not right to use?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Isn't it about time for everyone quit with the averaging thing.  It is clear that you can pick and choose certain stats to fit your wishes.  I ask all, what if we had averaged winning 85 percent of all our games since we started football.  Is there a problem with wanting the most expensive HC ever for us who brought the best resume to us of any coach we've ever hired won/loss wise, who got the largest budget of any Arkansas HC ever to work with for assistants, to top that a bit?  Well, is there a good reason now, without picking a particular item that fits your position.  Is there a problem of expecting said HC to at least not be at or near the bottom of the actual stats such as SEC wins, P5 wins, etc...  This biggest name ever HC we hired has the only no conference win season in ever.  On the other hand he has the football group trending upward in GPA, staying off police blotters and staying elgible.   

If you took the average of all the recent HCs we've hired, say since Hatfield, wouldn't you consider it an injustice to rate Bret down there with those Guys as to winning and character, his resume stands out better than these folks, considering past winning and past character, yet his winning percentage is thrown up against these hooligans as a fair assessment. 

There was the poor Arkansas farmer who finally saved up enough money to take the Wife into the city for a really nice meal, Lobster, Steak and all the fixins and a decent bottle of wine, finally escaping Barney's BBQ and the local drive-in.  The old farmer has finally been able to buy the wife a meal she is worthy of and hes proud, you know, like we were to get this huge resume Bret fellow.  The farmer stumbles into the kitchen thinking its the restroom, finding cock roaches running everywhere, seeing someone removing the steaks from the mircowave and seeing someone else dragging his hand from something that looks like filthy dishwater but is in fact the tank containing the lobster.

Farmer, like us fans, was amazed at what he was about to drop $300.00 on.

hogcard1964

Quote from: 12247 on October 05, 2017, 01:02:17 pm

If you took the average of all the recent HCs we've hired, say since Hatfield, wouldn't you consider it an injustice to rate Bret down there with those Guys as to winning and character, his resume stands out better than these folks, considering past winning and past character, yet his winning percentage is thrown up against these hooligans as a fair assessment. 

If you simply wanted a nice that's not a very good coach, couldn't you have done it cheaper?

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 05, 2017, 11:55:41 am
He's 27 and 28 overall.  That translates to winning 5.9 games per year.  In the SEC he's 10-23, which translates into winning 3 SEC games per year.

...which is dreadful.
+100
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: The ColonelHog on October 05, 2017, 03:52:36 pm
LMAO!  I agree, you are NOT crazy!  I don't have any expectations that B.B. can do anything I would like to see.  ITS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN FOLKS!  I expected this team to win 9 games this season period.  If he doesn't get there this season in a putrid SEC, he's not going to ever get there.  He is what he is folks, a poor coach!  Did any of you hear Alvarez say he sat down with his HCs at Wisconsin 3-4 days a week?  Why is that important?  Because ALVAREZ was running the program when he was there and still is!  STOP the madness, BB is a failure here and we need to move on ASAP!

Get ready for the:

"But he's doing it the right way" posts
"But we're Arkansas. We will never be in contention for the NC" posts
"But what good coach would come here" posts
"He is re-building" posts
"We will never be able to recruit 5 star players here" posts

There are some here who will ALWAYS excuse BB's sub-par, over-paid performance.
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

code red

If he loses this weekend I could see him being removed after this year is over.  If he wins I think he wins 7.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: code red on October 05, 2017, 06:01:18 pm
If he loses this weekend I could see him being removed after this year is over.  If he wins I think he wins 7.
I don't think he will/would be removed. I think his health will go bad or Snyder at K-state will name him as his successor and get everyone off the hook with a negociated buyout. Then the caos would start.

Tusks

applause
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Tusks

Quote from: The ColonelHog on October 05, 2017, 03:52:36 pm
LMAO!  I agree, you are NOT crazy!  I don't have any expectations that B.B. can do anything I would like to see.  ITS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN FOLKS!  I expected this team to win 9 games this season period.  If he doesn't get there this season in a putrid SEC, he's not going to ever get there.  He is what he is folks, a poor coach!  Did any of you hear Alvarez say he sat down with his HCs at Wisconsin 3-4 days a week?  Why is that important?  Because ALVAREZ was running the program when he was there and still is!  STOP the madness, BB is a failure here and we need to move on ASAP!

I don't know why it doesn't get more play but Wisky's record is BETTER after BB left than when he was there.  That's all you need to know.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Dude can't do nothing to get me on his bandwagon again.

I had serious reservations after the first Rutgers loss and the constant cheerleading of Brooks Ellis who even to the untrained eye was obviously not up to snuff at the SEC level.

Complete moron on the sidelines which is one of the things Wisconsin fans told us.  My friends in Madison have been quite happy that we took him off their hands.

He's in over his head and has too much of an ego to do the things needed to fix it.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: tusked on October 05, 2017, 06:36:56 pm
I don't know why it doesn't get more play but Wisky's record is BETTER after BB left than when he was there.  That's all you need to know.
Average over 7 seasons there was 9.7 wins per season.  Since his departure, Wiscy has averaged 10.25 wins per season. 

CBB also had a 12 win season, which no one since has.  He also went to 3 Rose Bowls, which Wiscy has not been back since. 

Not that I think CBB has proven he is a great coach, but let's at least present that data adequately. 

gchamblee

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on October 05, 2017, 06:18:49 pm
I don't think he will/would be removed. I think his health will go bad or Snyder at K-state will name him as his successor and get everyone off the hook with a negociated buyout. Then the caos would start.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on October 05, 2017, 06:18:49 pm

What kind of chaos would ensue?  From the U of A?

Hogs-n-Roses

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 05, 2017, 07:38:09 pm
What kind of chaos would ensue?  From the U of A?
No, not from the UofA. Just the fanbase wanting this guy or that guy as AD and then the coaching replacement search and plane chasers. Maybe I should have used a lighter term like fun/excitement.

From Tusk Till Dawn

Im not off the wagon yet but will answer.

1.  We have to finish, no more big leads evaporating.
2.  Better than 4 wins in conf play, start with a&m
3.  Recruiting/player development?  Would like to see the emergence of a threat/difference maker on punt and kickoff returns (joe adams type) that scares opponents and can give us a short field
4.  Improved defense, more pressure on the qb
5.  Kicking, both fg and kickoffs

Jonbo

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on October 05, 2017, 11:31:52 am
Well, my point was that Arkansas' all-time winning percentage is .590, which, in a 12-game season, comes out to 7.1 wins per season. My point was some will call that "mediocre," but history and trends show that's just what our program is.

The point is that it's stupid to get pissed off and bitch and moan over a "mediocre" 7-win season. If that's the case, the history of Arkansas Razorbacks football is mediocre.

As you stated, Bielema averages 6.25 through four full years. Less than one more win per year during his tenure puts us right on track with our program's history. If he pulls out 8 wins this year, statistically speaking, that'll be an above average season for us.

And no, I don't settle for 7 wins. I want and expect more. But I don't go off the [CENSORED] rails or foam at the mouth when we don't win 10 games a season when, historically, we're a 7 win per season program. Based on your opening statement, I guess we're still in search of a miracle vaccine.

IOW, the losses to -what was it, Texas Tech?, Toledo, and last seasons season-ending debacles really damaged CBB's overall win percentage. Hmmm,. (Not trying to make a point! I don't know what in particular to make of it.)

LZH

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on October 05, 2017, 11:31:52 am

You're lumping in different coaches, though, and it makes it seem the program is mediocre because we've had 2 years of Crowe, 5 or 6 years of Ford, 10 years of Nutt, the one year JLS nightmare, and now 4 1/3 seasons of Bielema.

Mediocre coaches (temporarily) make mediocre programs. I suggest if we had been less "accepting" of average coaches producing average/below average teams, our record during that 60 year span would look a lot better.

Whenever we've had a damn good coach,  we've been considered a damn good program.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: LZH on October 06, 2017, 07:02:53 am
You're lumping in different coaches, though, and it makes it seem the program is mediocre because we've had 2 years of Crowe, 5 or 6 years of Ford, 10 years of Nutt, the one year JLS nightmare, and now 4 1/3 seasons of Bielema.

Mediocre coaches (temporarily) make mediocre programs. I suggest if we had been less "accepting" of average coaches producing average/below average teams, our record during that 60 year span would look a lot better.

Whenever we've had a damn good coach,  we've been considered a damn good program.
Let's dig into your thought and see if that is really true.

Frank Broyles, the standard by which all are measured - 144-58-5 for a .696 winning percentage at Arkansas.

Lou Holtz - 60-21-2 for a .723 winning percentage.

Ken Hatfield - 55-17-1 for a .753 winning percentage.

Bobby Petrino - 34-17 for a .667 winning percentage.

Add all that up and we have a .708 winning percentage from our best coaches.  That adds up to just under 8.5 wins per season adjusted for a 12 game schedule.  Still clearly within our statistical average. 

Historically, we are a pretty good team.  Not great. 

That doesn't mean I'm satisfied with Coach B's current winning percentage.  For me, what it means, is we need to show patience and allow a good coach, which Bielema has proven to be, the time to build.  The whole "swap coaches every five years until you get lucky" is so clearly a failure of a way to build a program, yet Arkansas fans keep begging for it.

I'm starting to wonder if CBB is going to get it done here, too.  But based on the statistical REALITY of who we ARE, and the proven failure of the "five years is long enough" approach,  I believe patience is the only option, stability is the only hope for Arkansas to reach the next tier.
All Gas, No Brakes!