Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

From the Bench - Overly Optimistic Razorback Sports Media Only Setting up Fans

Started by Robert Shields, August 11, 2014, 10:39:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jkstock04

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on August 11, 2014, 11:19:04 pm
Back when I first starting writing practice reports people didn't say too much, because practice reports were new and any information was great.

I have had people since then...in the same practice report thread say that I was only pointing out the positives and sugar coating...then others saying I was being too negative and bashing players and coaches.

Everyone has their own bias, whether reporter or reader.  I see people that put emphasis on the positive, while others focus on the negative.  It is just the way it is and no one is truly objective in their reporting or in their interpretation of what is being reported.  There are folks in the media that I don't agree with what they have to say or how they report, but I've never seen anyone in this group of media that are dishonest in what they are reporting.  What Robby is questioning is integrity. 

Maybe that is a fair question.  After the HdN years it might be deserved.  I just don't see it from guys in that room. 
These are fair points...I guess a lot of this may simply be in the eye of the beholder. To the writer what he may think is fair and objective...the reader may think its negative and subjective. Or vice versa.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Mike Irwin

Quote from: BENTON PIGGEE on August 11, 2014, 11:21:57 pm
How about the chick who wore a Florida hat to Petrino's post-practice interview thing?

I know her boss who was the man that fired her. I spoke him to try to determine if he had fired her under pressure from the athletic department. He said he got a call from the athletic department. Some of the players on the team believed that she was rubbing her loyalty to Florida in their faces.

In particular they said she had teased Ryan Mallett about it and he in turn had complained to Petrino. This was less than a year after Arkansas controversial loss to Florida in Gainesville.

She went by the name of Gator Girl on the radio. She wore a Florida hat to practice while interviewing Arkansas players. The person who called him from the U of A asked him to see if she could tone that stuff down.

He did not threaten to deny her access to practice.  He did not threaten to deny her a press pass. He did not ask that she be fired.

Her boss told me that after reviewing the situation he determined that she had become a distraction that he didn't need. So he sent her packing.

It was a very unusual situation. I've never heard of a media member doing anything like that.

PonderinHog

Robert Shields

Quote from: Mike Irwin on August 11, 2014, 10:45:37 pm
The university of Arkansas has always had a policy of determining whether or not a person requesting credentials is actually a legitimate member of the working media.

They can't issue a press pass to everyone who wants one. The situation would become unmanageable.

Scott would probably be able to state the print criteria better than me. Employees of TV stations qualify although the number of credentials issued is limited. Radio stations are usually limited to one credential per station but there are exceptions. I think this was UU's issue. Grant Hall already was already on the press pass list for 1190 AM in Fayetteville when UU applied. I do think he got that worked out.

I don't know anything about Robert Shields situation but if he wants a credential and hasn't been given one I'm certain it's not because of anything he's written.

To clarify, no one recognized as a legitimate member of the working Razorback sports media has ever had their press pass taken away because of something they reported.

GET IT THROUGH YOUR HEADS. WE ARE NOT SCARED OF THE U OF A.    

The last time that I requested press credentials I received them.  I have received them every time that I requested them except once and that was more than ten years ago for a game in Little Rock.  It gave me fodder to write about for a period of time.  I was younger and brasher.  In hindsight, I would have handled it differently.  But I can only say positive things about Kevin Trainor.

I will agree with Scott Faldon about the SID department.  They have always been very good to me and have always given me the information that I requested in a very prompt fashion.  They do their job very well.  Part of their job is to put out propaganda and they are great at it.

Rey Pygsterio

All you media people know damn well the SID office is not the issue.
"Rey Pygsterio will slash the tires on your Flex Fuel Tahoe and slap your Bentonville princess wife in the face." - Latarian

BENTON PIGGEE

Quote from: Mike Irwin on August 11, 2014, 11:51:49 pm
I know her boss who was the man that fired her. I spoke him to try to determine if he had fired her under pressure from the athletic department. He said he got a call from the athletic department. Some of the players on the team believed that she was rubbing her loyalty to Florida in their faces.

In particular they said she had teased Ryan Mallett about it and he in turn had complained to Petrino. This was less than a year after Arkansas controversial loss to Florida in Gainesville.

She went by the name of Gator Girl on the radio. She wore a Florida hat to practice while interviewing Arkansas players. The person who called him from the U of A asked him to see if she could tone that stuff down.

He did not threaten to deny her access to practice.  He did not threaten to deny her a press pass. He did not ask that she be fired.

Her boss told me that after reviewing the situation he determined that she had become a distraction that he didn't need. So he sent her packing.

It was a very unusual situation. I've never heard of a media member doing anything like that.

Thanks Mike and UU- that was more info than I was expecting. And +1 to RS for starting this thread.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Robert Shields on August 12, 2014, 10:06:54 am
The last time that I requested press credentials I received them.  I have received them every time that I requested them except once and that was more than ten years ago for a game in Little Rock.  It gave me fodder to write about for a period of time.  I was younger and brasher.  In hindsight, I would have handled it differently.  But I can only say positive things about Kevin Trainor.

I will agree with Scott Faldon about the SID department.  They have always been very good to me and have always given me the information that I requested in a very prompt fashion.  They do their job very well.  Part of their job is to put out propaganda and they are great at it.

Giving you press credentials is like giving Charles Barkley a PGA Tour card.

Peter Porker

Quote from: WilsonHog on August 11, 2014, 11:16:55 pm
Here's what I find humorous about the whole thing.

The whole premise of the original piece is that the media is "setting Hog fans up for disappointment."

So, not only has the OP painted the media with a broad brush, but in his zeal to hammer the media he's also used that same brush to paint our fan base as gullible and easily led.

The OP seems to regard himself as the only truly enlightened man in the entire, blessed state.

Seems to always be the case.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Dr. Starcs

I think UU makes a good point and actually understands why fans question the media.

The other members need to not be so thin-skinned. Everyone, right or wrong, has an opinion and are entitled to it.

The NewEra

I'm still at a loss as to why Shields is allowed to post his weekly "I hate everything Razorback" diatribe on Monday Morning Quarterback week in and week out.  Never a sliver of anything positive.  Where around the LSU stadium does this guy live anyway?  This guy is TigerBait in print.

Shorttimer

This really is a multi-layered issue.  Our sense of what constitutes journalism and reporting really is rooted in an era that no longer exists.

For example, when I was growing up, Orville Henry conducted post-game interviews in the locker room with Scott Bull or Brad Taylor or James Rouse or whomever.  Then he cherrypicked what he deemed to be the appropriate statements for the interview and included those in his story. The same thing happened with TV.  We got 8 minutes of game coverage on the news at night, including a few highlights and interview soundbites.  That was also an era where fans didn't really expect commentary.  That type of discussion was limited to water coolers and coffee shops.

Today, newspaper and TV still cover games that way.  However, after any practice or game, I can go online and view one or two hours worth of raw interview footage.  I get everything in context.  I get the good and the bad. 

I also get news on Twitter.  I follow certain players in social media and read what they're saying.  And I have Hogville, where a discerning fan really can get a lot of information, both positive and negative.  Hogville is my coffee shop.

I say all that to say that the traditional media plays a diminished role in shaping the perception of the fans today.  Not because it's less important, but because there are more avenues through which fans can obtain information.  And because more information is available, people are now more critical of those in the media who are doing the same job they always have in covering the Hogs.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on August 12, 2014, 10:47:28 am
I think UU makes a good point and actually understands why fans question the media.

The other members need to not be so thin-skinned. Everyone, right or wrong, has an opinion and are entitled to it.
Probably ten to fifteen times a year this comes up. I continue to read that the Hog media is afraid to tell the truth because they will get their press passes taken away.

That's ignorant. It's like saying the sun comes up in the west. It's not opinion. It's provably wrong.

It's not being thin skinned to challenge complete nonsense.

sportster365

Sunshine pumping is not necessary. I'm a Razorback. I'm going to watch and support regardless. Most of us fully understand that it's a good chance our HOGS wont be very good this year, but yet we still tune in for info and opinions about what's going on day to day anyway.

Most people watch the news, no matter what sort, be it local, national, sports related or non-sports related for the facts on current events. Some choose not to watch so much because they find consuming so much bad or negative issues in the news depressing and I get that. But at the end of the day, most folks just want to be informed, but informed with the facts.

Others choose specific genres like FOX News and MSNBC that express opinions and views similar to that of their own, but yet and still want all of the facts and not just partial information that only supports one perspective view. And that's where we're at as Razorback fans, we want to hear news specific to our team, but want full truths not partials.

When a news source or personality gives it to you straight, you learn to respect their opinion whether you agree with it or not. You know their not being bias or just toting the company line per say and you'll place more value and thought into their individual perspectives. But if you're agenda based and we know it, you're not changing or adding any additional perspectives to someones outlook. Your message will be automatically disregarded and sent to the junk email folder.

sportster365

Quote from: Mike Irwin on August 12, 2014, 11:09:46 am

Probably ten to fifteen times a year this comes up. I continue to read that the Hog media is afraid to tell the truth because they will get their press passes taken away.

That's ignorant. It's like saying the sun comes up in the west. It's not opinion. It's provably wrong.

It's not being thin skinned to challenge complete nonsense.

Mike some of this stuff is as clear as the sky is blue, yet the media turns a blind eye to it. If CBB grants you or another member of the Razorback sports media a one on one interview and at the end of that interview he says thanks Mike, thanks for supporting me and Go Hogs! You're now all in. You're a Bielema supporter and will defend his actions tooth and nail no matter how much you or anyone else questions it. You guys are reporters and journalist. It's not your job to spit shine some guys image. The Razorbacks have their own SID and Public Relations persons for that. You're here to find answers to those questionable actions and not deflect them when and if they arise.

Kevin

i would say the local media that covers that hogs are no different than the ones that cover most college teams.

they cover them more positively than negatively.

plus, mr. shields did not write anything we did not already know  was coming. this month would be nothing but positive propaganda coming out of the coaches & players mouths.

they are reporting what the coaches & players tell them.
there is a difference between something being reported & an opinion piece.

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

seasonhog

This was less than a year after Arkansas controversial loss to Florida in Gainesville.

controversial loss.............you mean stolen.........it tough to see our players have the game won.....& have sec officiate take the win from them.

Seminole Indian

Arkansas media have been in the 'given the people what the people want' business for as long as I can remember, and probably will continue to do so. 

That's not a problem as long as you have a site like this to go to for 'all things Razorback'.

You get a good cross-section of opinions on everything related to Razorback, and a lot of good information thrown in to boot.

"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

Rey Pygsterio

I would like to hear about the time Shields had press credentials for a Razorback football game and made the mistake of going to a tailgate party on the golf course first.
"Rey Pygsterio will slash the tires on your Flex Fuel Tahoe and slap your Bentonville princess wife in the face." - Latarian

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Rey Pygsterio on August 12, 2014, 10:20:53 am
All you media people know damn well the SID office is not the issue.

They won't admit it. 

As far as Gork, she shouldn't have been fired because of the fan base.  She should have been fired for being unprofessional in showing a lack of objectivity and unprofessionalism while doing her job. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Rey Pygsterio

Hog N Bama

I was wondering when Mr Shields would come in here and throw water on everything

sportster365

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on August 11, 2014, 12:31:12 pm

Where the fourth estate for sports in this state fails is in timely critical opinion.  Call a spade a spade when it is a spade not six months after the spade left. 

Exactly. Probably the single biggest peeve I have with the media. I'm afraid the same will happen if and when Bielema ever decides to leave or get forced out.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ScottFaldon on August 12, 2014, 02:05:22 pm
The access thing has been addressed.

Or are you talking about coaches playing favorites and talking off the to the side with certain reporters?

No darn.  He is talking about leeches who need more access than press conferences, setup interviews, press passes, etc. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

TomasPistola

Shields trolled this entire message board. Amazing. I bet Oxbaker is jealous as hell.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" on August 11, 2014, 03:38:35 pm
For all of you who are wondering why nothing negative was said about Coach Petrino's recruiting, the promise of the 2012 season, etc., it was there.

Most people disregard things that interfere with their preconceived ideas.

http://youarenotsosmart.com/2010/06/23/confirmation-bias/

Gosh, Jim and I spent a lot of time on Hogville trying to understand why Petrino's recruiting wasn't any better.

2009 - We wondered why the heck Petrino had to sign Austin Moss, Shauntez Bruce, Kevin Lowery, Ryan Calendar, Ricky Hughey, Jerry Mitchell + laughed over the fiasco regarding John Henderson and Briton Forester.

We got Darius Winston (meh), Ronnie Wingo, Knile Davis, Anthony Leon, Austin Tate, Travis Swanson, Terrell Williams (meh), D.D. Jones, Cobi Hamilton, Rudell Crim, Andru Stewart, Zhamal Thomas (meh), Ross Rasner, Alvin Bailey, Brandon Mitchell, Colton Miles-Nash, Jerry Mitchell (meh).

Four of those guys get half-credit because of being jucos. This class had some excellent talent but too much wastage, which hurt 2012-13.

2010 - This class was really padded. Calvin Barnett, Courtney Gaston and Marquel Wade were ineligible. Brad Hefley, Jatashun Beachum, Cam Feldt, Jacoby Walker, Jeremiah Jackson, LaCraig Brown, Julian Horton, Maudrecus Humphrey, Eduardo Camera, Denton Simek, Darrell Smith. We were signing guys out of SEC/Big 12 territories, but they weren't SEC/Big 12 recruits. The best receiver we signed was Javontee Herndon, who had no other offers period; we hadn't even talked to him until signing day. Amazing that we got anything at all out of that. Didn't make up for the rest of the wreckage.

We got Eric Bennett (meh), Jarrett Lake (meh), Garrett Uekman (RIP), Daunte Carr, Byran Jones, Braylon Mitchell, Chris Smith, Julian Horton (meh), Zach Hocker (!!!), Luke Charpentier, Alan Turner and Herndon. This class seriously wounded the 2013-14 teams.

2011 - The defense recruiting was the hardest to swallow. Robert Atiga and Tyler Gilbert were obvious reaches, as were Brock Haman, Darrell Kelly-Thomas, Jashaud Sims, Brett Weir. Some well-rated players who didn't pan out: Kelvin Fisher, Lonnie Gosha, Horace Arkadie.

Which defensive players were productive: Trey Flowers, Alonzo Highsmith Jr. (juco), Rohan Gaines, Robert Thomas (juco), Tevin Mitchel, DeMarcus Hodge. Grady Ollison and Davyon McKinney might pan out. Slim list.

On offense, the duds and washouts: Andrew Peterson, Quinta Funderburk, Keante Minor, Demetrius Dean, Marquel Wade, Kane Whitehurst (at South Carolina now). A couple more remain on the roster but are unlikely to ever contribute.

Keepers on offense: Brey Cook, Mitch Smothers, Brandon Allen, Jason Peacock (juco), Kody Walker, Kiero Small (juco). Wow. You couldn't build a team, getting only six keepers a year on either side of the football, a third of them jucos.
[CENSORED]!

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Don Hogleone on August 12, 2014, 12:02:24 pm
Mike some of this stuff is as clear as the sky is blue, yet the media turns a blind eye to it. If CBB grants you or another member of the Razorback sports media a one on one interview and at the end of that interview he says thanks Mike, thanks for supporting me and Go Hogs! You're now all in. You're a Bielema supporter and will defend his actions tooth and nail no matter how much you or anyone else questions it. You guys are reporters and journalist. It's not your job to spit shine some guys image. The Razorbacks have their own SID and Public Relations persons for that. You're here to find answers to those questionable actions and not deflect them when and if they arise.
Maybe, but Bielema has never done that. The only coach I know who did it was Nutt. He's gone and he's not coming back yet many here continue to live in the past.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Don Hogleone on August 12, 2014, 12:02:24 pm
Mike some of this stuff is as clear as the sky is blue, yet the media turns a blind eye to it. If CBB grants you or another member of the Razorback sports media a one on one interview and at the end of that interview he says thanks Mike, thanks for supporting me and Go Hogs! You're now all in. You're a Bielema supporter and will defend his actions tooth and nail no matter how much you or anyone else questions it.

A smart coach, even a half-smart coach doesn't trust media people enough to ask them for support. That's something only the stupid + desperate would do. Some fans are incredibly naive.

Contrary to the incredibly wrong statements of Robert Shields -- I'm very impressed with the degree of objectivity that Arkansas sports media maintain. These guys struggle to make a living in many cases. They cover big-dollar sports with millionaire coaches. But they do well to keep everything in proper context.
[CENSORED]!

MountieDawg

The media is overly optimistic for fan purposes. I hear many saying they expect 7 of 8 wins this year. If they were confident they would put every dime they have that the Hogs would win more than 1.5 games in Vegas.

Most of their advertisers also support the Hogs and you will not sell many ads or season tickets sold by saying you expect another 3 or 4 win season. No matter what any of them say, they care more about selling ads than being a fair analyst.
SEC!

Atlhogfan1

Again, there are different groups who give (and sell) information and opinions on the Hogs:

Print and tv journalists who report facts, relay quotes, show interviews, write about interviews and maintain objectivity or at least try to do so.  - Irwin in most cases
They may end up misled by their subjects through being poor at their job, naïve, unwittingly showing favoritism etc.  But they attempt to do their job to at least some extent objectively.  Now the fluff pieces will outweigh the more negative ones but that is what a program will usually put forward and what they see to report.

Entertainers and leeches which is what Bo and Henry are.  This is why the OP was worthless as usual. 

You have to know the difference in them to be able to digest what you are being told.  You also have to distinguish the difference between a media member doing his job for a paper or news station or other entity and posting news and opinions on a message board.  We see both news based, objective pieces and opinions from media members on message boards.

For those familiar with Arkansas sports news and entertainment, it shouldn't be too hard by now to understand the m.o. and quality of the reporters and entertainers that report on the Hogs. 

Dwight_K_Shrute

Bo Mattingly is reading directly from Shield's OP on air, and just credited Shields.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

SONofHAM

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on August 12, 2014, 03:14:12 pm
Bo Mattingly is reading directly from Shield's OP on air, and just credited Shields.
Bo needs to invite Shields on the air for a little more explanation:)
"like a wild band of Razorback hogs"

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on August 12, 2014, 03:14:12 pm

He should have discredited him instead..............................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Dr. Starcs

That's exactly what I mean, Mike.

Media guys call out fans all the time, but when the table is turned, its dismissed as nonsense.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Phil D on August 11, 2014, 06:56:30 pm
I think part of it also has to do with the fact we haven't lined up against any of those teams yet this year, and that is the only true indicator of where we stand everything up until that point is conjecture and opinion. You can only report what you see and hear. That being said I am not going to ever jump on the sky is falling, we are doomed, this coaching staff sucks bandwagon after ONE season in a new system with a new coaching staff who haven't had a chance to recruit for their system and had an injured QB for the majority of the season. If after year three we are not significantly improved I may start to question the direction we are headed but I am going to give this staff the benefit of the doubt and see what they can do before going all doom and gloom.I think allot of this sunshine pumper darksider mess is carried over from the Nutty years and in most cases is a bunch of BS. classify me as a shunshine pumper if you must but make no mistake I love this team and if coach BB doesn't get the job done in a REASONABLE amount of time i will be in the other camp.Not that my feelings or opinion carry any weight with the PTB. ;) :razorback:

I don't think they've got to go "darksider" either.  I just think everyone would be better served with a bigger picture look at things.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on August 12, 2014, 04:10:24 pm

Media guys call out fans all the time, but when the table is turned, its dismissed as nonsense.

This, why not acknowledge that some fan concerns about the media are warranted and others are not.  Fans are consumers.  We consume the entertainment of watching the team, or the infotainment the media provides.  I will admit that as consumers myself included we B&M incessantly sometimes.  But in that incessant pool of complaints is some truth.  I deal with consumers and consumer complaints as part of my job as assistant regional manager.  80% are whackadoodles, but if you keep hearing the same complaint even if it is from the lunatic fringe you need to sit back and objectively look at the complaint even it it is from the message boarders.

I will also admit that message boards are not a representative sample of the fan base but for every 5 uninformed yayhoos there is an intelligent poster making salient points and using facts and examples to back them up.

I tend to agree with Shields general premise that the media pumps a little too much positivity, but I think he used the wrong example, that being Sports Talk with Bo, a radio show.  Radio shows are just audio message boards especially since most in this state are caller driven.  So you are still not going to get a representative sample from the callers or the hosts.  As far as the callers go you are actually more in the fringe if you are calling shows.  You have to know the number, be listening, call, wait, try to make a point, which most fail to do without sounding like an extra from Green Acres. I mean right now there is some guy calling Bo's show trying to figure out what channel the SEC network will be on his cable system.  Shields should have used the ADG since there is a greater body of work, it is mainstream/statewide and you can go back and cite specific instances where the ADG failed to objectively report or even opine about the Razorback program and instead basically served as UA Pravda.

I have gotten much more usable information from message boards than I ever have from the media except when Mike Irwin posts his thoughts and opinions and sheds some light on issues that wasn't previously available.  That's why I take issue when people dismiss the complaints, thoughts, opinions of message boarders in total.  It's like everything else, just apply the 80/20 rule.  80% of it is worthless but if you take the time you can find the meaningful 20%.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: ScottFaldon on August 12, 2014, 04:40:35 pm
We do acknowledge legit concerns. But "they don't say anything mean because they'll get banned from the press box" is not legitimate nor realistic.

But on the flip side, when we try to explain why somebody is barking up the wrong tree it's seen as being dismissive. 

I have seen Mike Irwin and others explain certain situations on here and appreciate them doing so and then form my own opinion.  But I think those few on here that engage the posters are the exception not the norm. 

I will also say that for a majority of them you are wasting your breath because they already have their mind made up that you are either a mouthpiece for the UofA or a program basher and no matter what you say they will not change their mind, so I do understand if sometimes you might say "Why bother?"

Hogpkins

Quote from: Shorttimer on August 12, 2014, 11:04:48 am
This really is a multi-layered issue.  Our sense of what constitutes journalism and reporting really is rooted in an era that no longer exists.

For example, when I was growing up, Orville Henry conducted post-game interviews in the locker room with Scott Bull or Brad Taylor or James Rouse or whomever.  Then he cherrypicked what he deemed to be the appropriate statements for the interview and included those in his story. The same thing happened with TV.  We got 8 minutes of game coverage on the news at night, including a few highlights and interview soundbites.  That was also an era where fans didn't really expect commentary.  That type of discussion was limited to water coolers and coffee shops.

Today, newspaper and TV still cover games that way.  However, after any practice or game, I can go online and view one or two hours worth of raw interview footage.  I get everything in context.  I get the good and the bad. 

I also get news on Twitter.  I follow certain players in social media and read what they're saying.  And I have Hogville, where a discerning fan really can get a lot of information, both positive and negative.  Hogville is my coffee shop.

I say all that to say that the traditional media plays a diminished role in shaping the perception of the fans today.  Not because it's less important, but because there are more avenues through which fans can obtain information.  And because more information is available, people are now more critical of those in the media who are doing the same job they always have in covering the Hogs.

Good post. The uncut press conferences and interviews give us direct access to the source, and you get it in full context (tone of voice, body language, etc.).  I still subscribe the newspaper but my days of turning straight to the beat report are over.  If you have time to watch the press conferences -- and I make time because hogs are my hobby -- I don't understand why you would resort to reading second-hand descriptions from a beat reporter.

I still look to the media (and certain posters on HV) for opinion and analysis because I like to hear different perspectives that don't always occur to me.  I don't have much interest in the media that just regurgitates sound bytes from the presser, which I understand is what beat reporters are paid to do.

Hogpkins

Fine recap. I listened to that radio show she was on because it was during the noon hour, and she was way overboard on making sure everyone knew where her allegiances were. Every show she made a point to talk about Florida and how much she loved that school.

She just wasn't a good fit for a radio show on the Hog radio network. Especially, as you point out, given the timing because the Gainesville screwing was still fresh on all our minds.

Hogpkins

Dwight_K_Shrute

For the love of God Bo is still going off about this, and mentioning the blogger.  It's like a desperate plea for people to call in and tell him he's right.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: MountieDawg on August 12, 2014, 02:59:57 pm
The media is overly optimistic for fan purposes. I hear many saying they expect 7 of 8 wins this year.

Who? Who is saying 7 or 8? Name one. Put all your money in Vegas on the likelihood that you are FOS.
[CENSORED]!

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on August 12, 2014, 05:12:18 pm
For the love of God Bo is still going off about this, and mentioning the blogger.  It's like a desperate plea for people to call in and tell him he's right.

I think it's clear that Robert Shields is Bo Mattingly.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Bo just mentioned Waddell leaving and said it was bc he had a relationship with AD at IL.  Bet he read that on Hogville where the news was broken 3 hours ago.

Now he is also saying he thinks not everyone at the UofA believes Bielema will get it done and to watch for people meaning admins etc leaving the program.  I think he's trying to tie that in to Waddell leaving.  Very odd for someone so positive.  Just shows he is really more or less interested in stirring up S.

Hogfly

The best was that Bo basically said, "I don't know who Robert Shields is" when talking about him, which is a paraphrase of the HV meme.

Other than that, I wish Bo would have mentioned how about 80% of the people on the message board upon which RS posts disagree with every single take he has on anything as a matter of principle. As it stands, he made it sound like RS's take represents the fanbase.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Now Bo is saying this is an interesting thing to watch play out.  Watch from August 30th to April 30th because people are split on Long, split on Bielema, split on Anderson. 

It's crazy how he went from defending how he is not being overly positive and just giving his opinion and thinks the team will be much improved to casting doubt on the entire athletic department after Waddell's leaving came out.  It's just very odd.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on August 12, 2014, 04:10:24 pm

Nonsense is nonsense. It has nothing to do with who points it out. Fans, media, who cares?

People posting and reading here either believe that the U of A uses press passes as a threat to keep the media positive toward them or they don't. Anyone who believes it and posts it on this board needs to step up and prove it.

They can't because it's never happened.

Phil D

Quote from: MountieDawg on August 12, 2014, 02:59:57 pm
The media is overly optimistic for fan purposes. I hear many saying they expect 7 of 8 wins this year. If they were confident they would put every dime they have that the Hogs would win more than 1.5 games in Vegas.

Most of their advertisers also support the Hogs and you will not sell many ads or season tickets sold by saying you expect another 3 or 4 win season. No matter what any of them say, they care more about selling ads than being a fair analyst.

You said many in the media are saying they expect the hogs to win 7 or 8 wins this year.. Can I get the names or links to the articles, because I haven't seen that from any let alone many?
GO HOGS!!!!!!

PigPusher

The truth begins to be told for his season starting August 30, 2014. Until then all the "orality" (pun) that is being presently passed about is purely conjecture. This goes all the way back to 1966 when people began to chant, "Wait until next year." Since then we have been living on the bright side each and every preseason since. Through the years often the following season had us emotionally rewarded and some others not so much. But, it still is so much fun discussing the anticipation.

Until then good work Mr. Shields!!!
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

rlreev01

Robert Shields is a hack and has no credentials for his opinions.

farmhawg

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 12, 2014, 05:39:24 pm
Who? Who is saying 7 or 8? Name one. Put all your money in Vegas on the likelihood that you are FOS.
Very nice.......
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!