Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nice offseason workouts Stan!

Started by larrylegend33, May 01, 2006, 08:55:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SupaCrawf

Quote from: SultanofSwine on May 01, 2006, 04:21:24 pm
Don't think for a minute that I am not for 5 day a week lifting, high rep/low weight/body part specific. I agree that they do need SERIOUS amounts of fundamental work and if you had read the thread you would have seen where I already mentioned as much. My question is who is going to be teaching it? At the rate they have been improving I would trade that miniscule amount of fundamentals work for a better conditioned and stronger team that doesn't get abused on the boards like we have been or one that can push the defensive tempo for more than 5 minutes.
So, defensive intensity and rebounding technique come from weight lifting???  Lifting weights is better conditioning than running?  I'm so confused...  Look, this thread is an obvious attempt to pick at Stan for anything that can be found right now.  Those that don't like Stan think this program is stupid, and those who support him think that this whole arguement is ridiculous. 

Guess which side I'm on.
I'm kind of a big deal.

SultanofSwine

I honestly could care less what Stan thinks because I really don't think he is a very bright coach. I assume from your question about defense and rebounding being impacted by lifting that you never played much ball because it has TONS to do with it. As for lifting is better conditioning than running, maybe ask some of the world class track folks if strength training is important to thier overall conditioning.

When did it become the right thing to do to slack off rather than demanding and leading the charge to a committment to success?

SupaCrawf

Quote from: SultanofSwine on May 01, 2006, 04:31:54 pm
I honestly could care less what Stan thinks because I really don't think he is a very bright coach. I assume from your question about defense and rebounding being impacted by lifting that you never played much ball because it has TONS to do with it. As for lifting is better conditioning than running, maybe ask some of the world class track folks if strength training is important to thier overall conditioning.

When did it become the right thing to do to slack off rather than demanding and leading the charge to a committment to success?
Alright, we'll just have to disagree, it's getting out of hand.  I'm not saying that weight lifting isn't beneficial.  I just don't think it's a reason to slam the coach when he's having the team lift twice a week instead of three times. 

Yes, I have played competitive B-ball, yes, I currently lift weights in addition to a cardio regimine and boxing based workout. 

This team has alot of areas that need to be improved upon.  I think that 2 mandatory weight sessons per week is enough, and that the rest of the time should be spent in other ways.  You disagree.  Sound about right?
I'm kind of a big deal.

mbgrulz

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on May 01, 2006, 04:17:58 pm
Quote from: mbgrulzso what makes that 3rd lift so magical? is there proof that 3 is better than 2? it looks like that guy with the Ph D would know.  and yeah, its possible to lift 3 or 4 times a week and not get bulky, but i dont think you can replace good ole line drills and stadiums for a basketball workout program.

Ever tried it?

And besides, there are people with PhD's that say eating chocolate is GOOD for you.

Let's get out of the realm of theory and into the realm of results.

But hey, we don't want to make them tired.  Fresh legs!

yeah, them there dumbass pee-h-deez are just up there eatin cheez and wine and dont know Shiite. i coached my boy's team in 5th grade, and by god we worked hard. we didnt do none a that pansy stuff, and we got results. sure, the wimpy kids cried when i yelled at em, but their parents need to whip their ass more often...toughen em up.

you are one of the people who hears the report that drinking a little wine is good for you because of the antioxidants and vasodialation effects, but all you get is: SEE HONEY, THIS BUD LIGHT IS GUD FOR ME.

and yes, i have tried it. i do try it, i will try other things.

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: mbgrulzyeah, them there dumbass pee-h-deez are just up there eatin cheez and wine and dont know Shiite. i coached my boy's team in 5th grade, and by god we worked hard. we didnt do none a that pansy stuff, and we got results. sure, the wimpy kids cried when i yelled at em, but their parents need to whip their ass more often...toughen em up.

you are one of the people who hears the report that drinking a little wine is good for you because of the antioxidants and vasodialation effects, but all you get is: SEE HONEY, THIS BUD LIGHT IS GUD FOR ME.

and yes, i have tried it. i do try it, i will try other things.

Ok, I have no idea what you are talking about.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

SupaCrawf

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on May 01, 2006, 04:17:58 pm

But hey, we don't want to make them tired.  Fresh legs!

[/quote]

By the way, that is SO FUNNY.  Did you make that up?  I've never heard it before!!!  Wow, that's good stuff, really good stuff....  Man, how do you do it, brotha?

;)
I'm kind of a big deal.

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: SupaCrawfBy the way, that is SO FUNNY.  Did you make that up?  I've never heard it before!!!  Wow, that's good stuff, really good stuff....  Man, how do you do it, brotha?

;)

No, it's up to you to decide what is funnier:  A)  Old, but true jokes about conditioning right now or B)  Getting run out of the gym by a mid-major in March.

Your choice.

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

SupaCrawf

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on May 01, 2006, 05:14:14 pm
Quote from: SupaCrawfBy the way, that is SO FUNNY.  Did you make that up?  I've never heard it before!!!  Wow, that's good stuff, really good stuff....  Man, how do you do it, brotha?

;)

No, it's up to you to decide what is funnier:  A)  Old, but true jokes about conditioning right now or B)  Getting run out of the gym by a mid-major in March.

Your choice.
I choose c) the next round of 'crow eating' threads, which should appear midway through the next b-ball season...
I'm kind of a big deal.

10thPlanet

May 01, 2006, 05:27:00 pm #58 Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 05:29:23 pm by dkwvike
Quote from: CheerioHog on May 01, 2006, 02:39:49 pm
It really depends on how much there lifting per day    theres a guy named mike mentzer he is a pro body builder and and while training for the world championship his workout schedule was only two days a week
True, Mike said this, but Mike lied. What better way to keep your competition from catching you. He also didn't do enough cardio for a college basketball player. I bet he never did a plyometric exercise in his life. What you Kines guys think, Plyometrics good? Pretty cool you still remember Metz. You think Metz ever juiced? Clenbuterol was the craze in the body building scene then. Asthma med, builds lean mass, cuts fat. FDA is about to approve it for heart failure pts. I heard ,I wouldn't know...that it makes you bad shaky.
I gave you +1 for remembering Mike.
No way Stan is only going to work them 2 days a week all off season.

dana caldwell

SultanofSwine

CheerioHog

Quote from: dkwvike on May 01, 2006, 05:27:00 pm
Quote from: CheerioHog on May 01, 2006, 02:39:49 pm
It really depends on how much there lifting per day    theres a guy named mike mentzer he is a pro body builder and and while training for the world championship his workout schedule was only two days a week
True, Mike said this, but Mike lied. What better way to keep your competition from catching you. He also didn't do enough cardio for a college basketball player. I bet he never did a plyometric exercise in his life. What you Kines guys think, Plyometrics good? Pretty cool you still remember Metz. You think Metz ever juiced? Clenbuterol was the craze in the body building scene then. Asthma med, builds lean mass, cuts fat. FDA is about to approve it for heart failure pts. I heard ,I wouldn't know...that it makes you bad shaky.
I gave you +1 for remembering Mike.
No way Stan is only going to work them 2 days a week all off season.
well i didnt 'remember' him being only 17 actually i read his book cuz me and my freinds wanted to try a new workout schedule that realy beefed us up but seeing as we dont use roids i guess thats not gonna work       now if heath only could convince the NCAA that roids is a type of candy that gives fresh legs...... 

4th and 1

I love the quotes about him not being a very good coach...you'll know that when he's fired...as for your judgement i doubt you have any idea...your fantasy camp is a little different then reality...you have no idea whats really been going on so don't throw it out there like you should be doing strength and conditioning...you wouldn't even know where to start.

Hank351

I mean most of you guys consider strength and conditioning walking up stairs to some sort of office on a daily basis.  You guys need to get a grip on reality and realize that basketball doesn't require weight lifting in the off season to make you better.  I mean I can think of one person that needs to hit them hard and heavy.  Steven Hill.  Other than that our team needs to be learning how to play together and developing their basketball skills.  You guys are so closed minded.  Look at what left the hill in the off season already.  These guys are young and need to learn the game for us to even make the NIT next year.

Lando Calrissian

You're out of your mind if you don't think strength training is necessary in basketball these days.

Flat-out out of your mind.

Hank351

Hank351

And I don't believe that I ever said it was unnecessary I believe I said that our basketball skills are more important right now for us to be successful next year.

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: Hank351 on May 02, 2006, 12:31:18 am
And I don't believe that I ever said it was unnecessary I believe I said that our basketball skills are more important right now for us to be successful next year.

Who suggested that they stop working on their basketball skills?

Hank351

Then why exactly are you even responding to my post again???  Think before you talk it helps!!!

Richard_white

Can we just to agree that Stan needs to go.

Hank351

Absolutely, I completely agree Stan needs to be gone.  Things are going to be real interesting next year without a star player.  What is Stan's excuse gonna be?

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: Hank351 on May 02, 2006, 12:36:53 am
Then why exactly are you even responding to my post again???  Think before you talk it helps!!!

Ok, I'm usually really good at picking up on stuff like this, but now you've lost me.

I don't think you're being sarcastic, because I would've been able to pick up on that.

Like I said before, if you're ok with the team getting pushed around in a halfcourt game against a mid-major that has been giving basketball scholarships for a whopping 3 years, then I suppose just lifting 2 days a week is fine & dandy for you.

When Al Horford is throwing our guys around like rag dolls, I do not want to see (read) you complaining.

Richard_white

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on May 02, 2006, 12:41:31 am

Ok, I'm usually really good at picking up on stuff like this, but now you've lost me.

I don't think you're being sarcastic, because I would've been able to pick up on that.

Like I said before, if you're ok with the team getting pushed around in a halfcourt game against a mid-major that has been giving basketball scholarships for a whopping 3 years, then I suppose just lifting 2 days a week is fine & dandy for you.

When Al Horford is throwing our guys around like rag dolls, I do not want to see (read) you complaining.

Lando, do you want them to look like Hulk? LOL

4th and 1

lando what are you talking about?? your posts are laughable...sorry dude...but strength conditioning is huge...you lost this one...

Hank351

All I have to say is that I refuse to respond to a close minded moron any longer.

My first ignore is going to LANDO...Congratulations!!!

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: BD 07Lando, do you want them to look like Hulk? LOL

As it has been stated SEVERAL times in this thread, it is possible to gain strength and stamina WITHOUT gaining 30 useless lbs of muscle (a la Cedrick Cobbs).

Lighter weight and higher reps.  It's not that difficult of a concept.

4th and 1

how is ben wallace so good if he's only like 6-9 because as i recall his offensive game isn't his strongest point....and if he was a skinny like 6-8 or 9 guy do you think he'd pull down 15 a game?

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: 4th and 1your posts are laughable...sorry dude...but strength conditioning is huge...you lost this one...

I know strength and conditioning is huge.

That's exactly why these guys need to be in the weight room lifting (NOT bulking up) more than twice a week.  Have you even read any of my posts in this thread?

4th and 1

Richard_white

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on May 02, 2006, 12:46:15 am
Quote from: BD 07Lando, do you want them to look like Hulk? LOL

As it has been stated SEVERAL times in this thread, it is possible to gain strength and stamina WITHOUT gaining 30 useless lbs of muscle (a la Cedrick Cobbs).

Lighter weight and higher reps.  It's not that difficult of a concept.

Calm down Lando I was agreeing with you.  I was just using your sig for an example.

4th and 1

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: BD 07
Calm down Lando I was agreeing with you.  I was just using your sig for an example.

Heh, I know.

4th and 1

your a horrible person lando...making stuff up and being a liar.

Lando Calrissian

Hank351

Lando your opinion is not wanted, just shut up and go

4th and 1

he's right lando...please stop this and just leave peacefully.

Lando Calrissian

Lando Calrissian

If we're fighting, you're going to have to let me know ahead of time.

Or at least let me know that we were fighting to begin with.

It doesn't seem very fair to declare victory when one side didn't know (or even care - in my case) that you were arguing with them (me) in the first place.

Lando Calrissian

(That is not directed at you Fresh Legs.........but way to go in messing up my timing!  ;) )

Ugly Uncle

Was this last page confusing to anyone else?

Who is on what side of the fight and who won?

Retired Radio Host

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: uglyuncle on May 02, 2006, 01:11:27 am
Was this last page confusing to anyone else?

Who is on what side of the fight and who won?

That's what I want to know.

I didn't even realize I was fighting someone.

I guess they won?  or something?

Lando Calrissian

Really, I still can't decide whether I should be sad, happy, or what.

Richard_white

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on May 02, 2006, 01:55:01 am
Really, I still can't decide whether I should be sad, happy, or what.

It was like the NWO from behind Lando.  You never saw it coming

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: BD 07It was like the NWO from behind Lando.  You never saw it coming

No kidding.

Sheesh...

10thPlanet

If these guys, don't already have bball skills, and fundamentals then they shouldn't have ever been recruited to a D-1 school. They need work on execution, and team chemistry. They should have plenty of time to lift.HS girls are lifting 3 times a week.
Anyone else know of teams lifting through the season? They lift light for  maintenance.

SultanofSwine

After checking the score cards, the judges have declared Lando the winner by unamolous decision. ;D

hogs24

Always looked like Pooky was lifting PLENTY..
Quote from: Buff on August 04, 2013, 01:34:19 pm

I am THIS close to raping you right now. 

Ugly Uncle

It does seem when the players go in to the Pro's they get much bigger.
Retired Radio Host

hogfankb

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on May 02, 2006, 12:41:31 am

What midmajor pushed us around last year? If you were refering to bucknell, they barely scored on us from inside the 3 point line the whole game. I wouldn't call that "getting pushed around."

We didn't get "pushed around" by anyone last year except for LSU. And they did that to everyone whether they worked out 10 hours a day or not.

As for the discussion this thread was on. Aren't there rules to how many hours a coach can practice his kids during the offseason? If there are I would prefer working on team chemistry because of the loss of our whole starting backcourt. If you only have a little time as a group make the most of it. Let them handle their conditioning in personal workouts(which hopefully all of them have).

If he is allowed by NCAA regs to work with them as much as he wants then we should probably be lifting and running 5 days a week along with practice. Even though many of the arguments about lifting light not affecting jumpers is completely wrong. Just because you aren't gaining bulk doesn't mean you aren't losing flexibility. Added strength with the loss of flexibility will affect your jump shot. But that isn't that big of an issue cause none of the guys on the team really had one to begin with.

SupaCrawf

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on May 02, 2006, 12:55:35 am
?
Lando, just for the record, we may not agree on this topic, but don't leave.  At least you make sense.  I'm shamed by the people that jumped on my side...  Maybe I should reconsider, given the average intellengence of the people agreeing with me... ;)
I'm kind of a big deal.