Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Would Ronnie be in your All Time Razorback starting five???

Started by LA HAWG, March 28, 2006, 02:55:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LA HAWG

Why or why not?  Just curious.  Not trying to bash anyone here.

Patch

Depends. If I was actually filling out a roster, I'd probably replace Ronnie with Scotty Thurman for 3 point shooting, but all aspects of the game considered, it would be a toss up for me between Ronnie and Joe Johnson

1. Lee Mayberry
2. Scotty/Ronnie/JJ Sidney Moncrief
3. Todd Day
4. Corliss Williamson
5. Joe Kline

EDIT: I have no idea how I forgot Moncrief.

12under

tough one here.  probably just on the outside looking in for me.  i think he had(and i do mean had) a great career here, but probably not in the top five.  for me, top 10 for sure.  can we start 10?

EastexHawg

No.

My all-time starting five would be:

Sidney Moncrief
Corliss Williamson
Joe Kleine
Marvin Delph
Lee Mayberry

Sixth man:  Ron Brewer, Sr.

Ronnie is a good player, but I don't think he measures up to any of those guys.

Sid and Corliss are the two "automatic" choices.

LA HAWG

Quote from: Patch on March 28, 2006, 03:00:58 pm
Depends. If I was actually filling out a roster, I'd probably replace Ronnie with Scotty Thurman for 3 point shooting, but all aspects of the game considered, it would be a toss up for me between Ronnie and Joe Johnson

1. Lee Mayberry
2. Scotty/Ronnie/JJ
3. Todd Day
4. Corliss Williamson
5. Joe Kline

Since I am only 27 I did not really get to see Joe Kleine play for Arkansas.  Can you guys tell me how he would compare to Big O?

RazorWire

Quote from: LA HAWG on March 28, 2006, 03:05:15 pm

1. Lee Mayberry
2. Scotty/Ronnie/JJ
3. Todd Day
4. Corliss Williamson
5. Joe Kline

Since I am only 27 I did not really get to see Joe Kleine play for Arkansas.  Can you guys tell me how he would compare to Big O?
Joe couldn't hit the 3 ball ... 'nuff said.

12under

1. Lee Mayberry
2. Scotty/Ronnie/JJ
3. Todd Day
4. Corliss Williamson
5. Joe Kline

more skilled than big O offensively, but O had hands the size of a trampoline and could catch anything.  big O had terrific bball instincts.

EastexHawg

Joe Kleine was a great scorer and rebounder.  He averaged over 20 points per game one year, which was awfully tough to do in Eddie Sutton's system.

Let me just put it this way...he pretty much held his own going up against Hakeem Olajuwon.

Big O was a great talent, too.  He had some of the softest, best hands I've ever seen on a big man.  Great passer, too.  It's too bad he never cared enough to get in shape and stay in shape.

Chappeee

Please stop this.  It is not fair to any of the Arkansas basketball players to name an all time starting five.  There are too many good players that have come through the program.  If you pick out a starting five, it would be a slap to several others.

12under

Quote from: Chappeee on March 28, 2006, 03:12:32 pm
Please stop this.  It is not fair to any of the Arkansas basketball players to name an all time starting five.  There are too many good players that have come through the program.  If you pick out a starting five, it would be a slap to several others.
it was just a simple question.  relax

LA HAWG

Isn't this what message boards are all about.  I would like to get everyone's opinion on this.  It is not a slap to Ronnie or any of the other great players that have played for the Hogs over the years.  It is just meant to generate some discussion.

Ugly Uncle

1.  Lee Mayberry
2.  Sidney
3.  Terry Martin
4.  Corliss
5.  Miller

Second team:

1.  Corey Beck
2.  Ron Sr.
3.  Marvin Delph
4.  Scott Hastings
5.  Joe Klein
Retired Radio Host

idochog

You guys are leaving off some serious players:

Alvin Robertson: made Olympics w/ Kleine

Darryl Walker

kareem Reid

Pat Bradley
I love Jesus!

idochog

I agree
I love Jesus!

LA HAWG

Quote from: idochog on March 28, 2006, 03:31:52 pm

I agree

Good gracious.  I look at some of the crap that is posted on this message board on a daily basis and I get lambasted for starting a legit post.  WTH?

The Truth

You're right, Chappeee. We should stop holding basketball tournaments, too, since it probably hurts the players' feelings when they lose. Why should George Mason, for instance, get to feel happy just because they scored more points than UConn? Why can't we change the game so everybody's a "winner"?
The Truth hurts.

MCPeePants

Quote from: RazorWire on March 28, 2006, 03:07:31 pm

1. Lee Mayberry
2. Scotty/Ronnie/JJ
3. Todd Day
4. Corliss Williamson
5. Joe Kline

Joe couldn't hit the 3 ball ... 'nuff said.

We have no idea whether Joe could hit the 3 ball since there was no such thing as a 3 ball when he played here.

One thing we do know is that, although he attempted a few, Oliver Miller wasn't any good at hitting the 3-ball. He was 5 for 30 on 3s for his career. Another thing we know is that Kleine was actually a better 3-point shooter in the NBA than Miller was: 13 for 48 for Kleine; 5 for 43 for Miller.

The only big man who was actually *proficient* at shooting 3s for the Hogs was Dwight Stewart.

King-Tusk

No, he would not.  Perhaps after another year of preparation, say at the collegiate level....hint..hint...

"You're talkin to my man all wrong.  It's the wrong tone.  Do it again and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron!"

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Arkansas is expected to go 3-0 in the Sun Belt this season. The Hogs had only one other spot to add a Sun Belt team, but filled that nonconference spot with Division I-AA Chattanooga for War Memorial Stadium in October.

geoffhog

Top 10 probably, not Top 5. I haven't seen Joe Johnson mentioned anywhere. He didn't have a Top 5 career at U of A, but was certainly Top 5 talent-wise.
"I was born to be a Razorback." -Darren Mcfadden

HeathHateMe

The list starts and ends with Glendon Alexander.  BOOOOOYAH!
A hero kills people, people that wish him harm. A hero is part human and part supernatural. A hero is born out of a childhood trauma, or out of a disaster, and must be avenged.

qakhed

"If it comes from qak, it's a fact!" -supacrawf

dishhog10

How can we leave off Alvin Robinson or Darrell Walker?   I would take either of those guys over Cory Beck or Lee Mayberry.
Lets band together and back BP

silvertip

Sidney
Alvin Robertson
Corliss
Kleine
Ronnie

Everyone of these guys are excellent scorers, defenders, and rebounders. They all had or will have good NBA careers. Joe Johnson---left to early to have a great Hawg career.

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

justmakeit2thebcs

Quote from: LA HAWG on March 28, 2006, 02:55:25 pm
Why or why not?  Just curious.  Not trying to bash anyone here.
Not in my top 20...

1. Monceif
2. Corliss
3. Alvin Robertson
4. Joe Klein
5. Lee Mayberry
6. Darrell Walker
7. Todd Day
8. Ron Brewer Sr.
9. Dean Tolson
10. Martin Terry
11. Corey Beck
12. Marvin Delph
13. Oliver Miller
14. Joe Johnson
15. Scotty Thurman
16. Scott Hastings

Old School...Johnny Adams, Glen Rose, Wear Schoonover & Gene Lambert

zwhogfan

Ronnie makes the top 15, any maybe, just maybe, top 10, but no way is he in the starting 5

pigfeet

Starters:

1 Lee Mayberry   Sub: Corey Beck
2 Alvin Robertson  Sub: Darrell Walker
3 Sidney Moncreif  Sub: Todd Day
4 Corliss Williamson  Sub: Charles Balentine
5 Big O   Sub: Joe Kleine

PigPusher

Quote from: LA HAWG on March 28, 2006, 03:36:52 pm

I agree

Good gracious.  I look at some of the crap that is posted on this message board on a daily basis and I get lambasted for starting a legit post.  WTH?

I don't normally defend you, but in this case I must. As far as I am concerned your post was fine.  You are right there is some real crap posted on Hogville, but his is not one of them.  Now everyone just take a deep breath please.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

murray-vegas

Brewer doesn't make my 12 man squad much less starting 5.

TorsinAHog

Mayberry
Moncrief
Todd Day
Corliss Williamson
Joe Kline

Six man:  Robertson

Sorry but Brewer Jr just cant match up to those players which is NOT a slap against him.  
To borrow from Mark Twain, there are three kinds of lies:
lies, darned lies, and the UA Athletic Department.

http://foas.us/images/sigs/hamilton.jpg

CiriusPorker

Quote from: TorsinAHog on March 28, 2006, 08:22:17 pm
Mayberry
Moncrief
Todd Day
Corliss Williamson
Joe Kline

Six man:  Robertson

Sorry but Brewer Jr just cant match up to those players which is NOT a slap against him.   

I agree with your pick..

ronnie should have been a lot better to make the top 5 all-time..

but that says a lot..we've had to some great talent come through.

Arkapigdiesel

Good Lord no.  There are at least 8-9 Razorback players that were better than him. 
Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 27, 2012, 10:54:27 am
Show me a school that has rational fans and I'll show you a loser.

RedSatinHog

1-Sidney Moncrief
2-Alvin Robertson
3-Darrell Walker
4-Corliss Williamson
5-Joe Kleine

While Ronnie Brewer has certainly carried this team the past 3 years, I STILL have 3-4 more players in front of him.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

Richard_white

Quote from: uglyuncle on March 28, 2006, 03:18:56 pm
1.  Lee Mayberry
2.  Sidney
3.  Terry Martin
4.  Corliss
5.  Miller

Second team:

1.  Corey Beck
2.  Ron Sr.
3.  Marvin Delph
4.  Scott Hastings
5.  Joe Klein

Man I forgot about Terry Martin

and karma +1 for Scott Hastings

hogtheball

First Team (by position)
1 Alvin Robertson
2 Darrell Walker
3 Sidney Moncrief
4 Corliss Williamson
5 Joe Klein

second team:
1 Lee Maybery
2 Marvin Delph
3 Todd Day
4 Scott Hastings
5 Big O

2 off the bench:  Lenzie Howell,  Ron Brewer Sr.
Coach: I'm not gonna go there...
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

Broken Trigger

Quote from: HeathHateMe on March 28, 2006, 04:43:39 pm
The list starts and ends with Glendon Alexander.  BOOOOOYAH!

Or so he probably thinks.  What a waste of a scholarship.

dhornjr1

Quote from: razorbacks4life27 on March 28, 2006, 10:29:27 pm
1.  Lee Mayberry
2.  Sidney
3.  Terry Martin
4.  Corliss
5.  Miller

Second team:

1.  Corey Beck
2.  Ron Sr.
3.  Marvin Delph
4.  Scott Hastings
5.  Joe Klein

It's Martin Terry, not Terry Martin

1st Team

Sidney Moncrief
Todd Day
Joe Kleine
Alvin Robertson
Corliss Williamson

2nd Team

Lee Mayberry
Martin Terry
Scotty Thurman
Darrell Walker
Ron Brewer

3rd Team

Marvin Delph
Scott Hastings
Oliver Miller
Corey Beck
Dean Tolson

Honorable Mention: Charles Balentine, Ronnie Brewer, Joe Johnson, Derek Hood, Lenzie Howell, Mario Credit, U.S. Reed, Keith Wilson, Steve Schall, Ron Huery, Pat Bradley, Ricky Norton, Andrew Lang, Darrell Hawkins, Clint McDaniel, Tim Scott, Keith Peterson, Tony Brown, Kareem Reid, Nick Davis, Alan Zahn, Dwight Stewart.   

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: dhornjr1 on March 29, 2006, 01:15:52 am
1.  Lee Mayberry
2.  Sidney
3.  Terry Martin
4.  Corliss
5.  Miller

Second team:

1.  Corey Beck
2.  Ron Sr.
3.  Marvin Delph
4.  Scott Hastings
5.  Joe Klein

1st Team

Sidney Moncrief
Todd Day
Joe Kleine
Alvin Robertson
Corliss Williamson

2nd Team

Lee Mayberry
Martin Terry
Scotty Thurman
Darrell Walker
Ron Brewer

3rd Team

Marvin Delph
Scott Hastings
Oliver Miller
Corey Beck
Dean Tolson

Honorable Mention: Charles Balentine, Ronnie Brewer, Joe Johnson, Derek Hood, Lenzie Howell, Mario Credit, U.S. Reed, Keith Wilson, Steve Schall, Ron Huery, Pat Bradley, Ricky Norton, Andrew Lang, Darrell Hawkins, Clint McDaniel, Tim Scott, Keith Peterson, Tony Brown, Kareem Reid, Nick Davis, Alan Zahn, Dwight Stewart.   

I meant Martin Terry.  It just isn't fair when a guy has two first names.  Is it Allen Ray, or Ray Allen?  I can't ever remember that either.
Retired Radio Host

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: uglyuncleAllen Ray, or Ray Allen?

I don't know.

I do know that I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who got it/them mixed up.

Next question:  Whose the better actor?  Keith David or David Keith?
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

Richard_white

Quote from: uglyuncle on March 29, 2006, 02:27:15 am
1.  Lee Mayberry
2.  Sidney
3.  Terry Martin
4.  Corliss
5.  Miller

Second team:

1.  Corey Beck
2.  Ron Sr.
3.  Marvin Delph
4.  Scott Hastings
5.  Joe Klein

1st Team

Sidney Moncrief
Todd Day
Joe Kleine
Alvin Robertson
Corliss Williamson

2nd Team

Lee Mayberry
Martin Terry
Scotty Thurman
Darrell Walker
Ron Brewer

3rd Team

Marvin Delph
Scott Hastings
Oliver Miller
Corey Beck
Dean Tolson

I meant Martin Terry.  It just isn't fair when a guy has two first names.  Is it Allen Ray, or Ray Allen?  I can't ever remember that either.

There was a reason why I forgot Martin Terry, LOL

LA HAWG

Quote from: PigPusher on March 28, 2006, 07:46:06 pm
Quote from: LA HAWG on March 28, 2006, 03:36:52 pm

I agree

I don't normally defend you, but in this case I must. As far as I am concerned your post was fine.  You are right there is some real crap posted on Hogville, but his is not one of them.  Now everyone just take a deep breath please.

Is there a reason you don't normally defend me.  Have I said some things to offend you in the past?  If so I apologize.

RedSatinHog

1.  Lee Mayberry
2.  Sidney
3.  Terry Martin
4.  Corliss
5.  Miller

Second team:

1.  Corey Beck
2.  Ron Sr.
3.  Marvin Delph
4.  Scott Hastings
5.  Joe Klein

1st Team

Sidney Moncrief
Todd Day
Joe Kleine
Alvin Robertson
Corliss Williamson

2nd Team

Lee Mayberry
Martin Terry
Scotty Thurman
Darrell Walker
Ron Brewer

3rd Team

Marvin Delph
Scott Hastings
Oliver Miller
Corey Beck
Dean Tolson

You listed Steve Schall as an HM, but not Jim Counce?  Puzzling!!

What about Brad Freiss?  Warren Linn?
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

dman

I still puit Klien before Miller, but nobody shutdown Shaq the way Miller did.

bighog1015

Nutts and Bolts

while Ronnie is good, he would probably make about 3rd team on my list
A new era has begun in Fayetteville

oldfart

Im sure you mean Martin Terry.. the first really great scorer for the Hogs in modern history

1.  Lee Mayberry
2.  Sidney
3.  Terry Martin
4.  Corliss
5.  Miller

Second team:

1.  Corey Beck
2.  Ron Sr.
3.  Marvin Delph
4.  Scott Hastings
5.  Joe Klein

oldfart

The big difference between Klein and Oliver Miller is that Joe would work his a** off and never slack off... Miller was often lackadasical and let rebounders get past him.. cost us the NCAA one year....

1. Lee Mayberry
2. Scotty/Ronnie/JJ
3. Todd Day
4. Corliss Williamson
5. Joe Kline

dana caldwell

know he was barely there, but you can't leave out joe johnson, no matter the temptation (chiefly alvin robertson). also, you've gotta go three guards no matter what:
* ron (not ronnie) brewer at the point
* G joe johnson
* G sydney moncrief
* F corliss williamson
* C joe kleine

hogtheball

Quote from: dana caldwell on March 29, 2006, 02:44:45 pm
know he was barely there, but you can't leave out joe johnson, no matter the temptation (chiefly alvin robertson). also, you've gotta go three guards no matter what:
* ron (not ronnie) brewer at the point
* G joe johnson
* G sydney moncrief
* F corliss williamson
* C joe kleine

I'd have to go with Alvin based on college performance over Joe Johnson.  Also, Alvin was a six-time all-NBA defensive team, an all-star, and was the NBA's most valuable defensive player one year.  Did you watch Alvin play?  Also, Dana, would Terry Wesley have been a great Razorback? 
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.