Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stanley Fresh Legs says people need to understand the game

Started by RealSmartGuy, March 21, 2006, 08:16:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RealSmartGuy

Basically he is calling Arkansas Fans idiots.

"I know there was a lot of talk," Heath said, "that maybe we should have pressed more and this, that, and the other. I watched all these [NCAA Tourney] games and I don't know anybody pressing for 40 minutes. I haven't seen that. But I also think you have to understand the game a little bit."

"Early in the game," Heath said, "when a team is being pressed and attacking your press is a lot different than late in the game when a team is trying to protect a lead. It's going to be a lot more effective when a team is holding the ball as opposed to attacking you. And so our press was a lot more effective in the second half than it was in the first half because they were playing different against our press in the first half than the second half. I think that's been overblown tremendously."

Oh yeah, we had those fresh legs too at the end, this basically proves to me, along with every other assinine quote that comes out of his mouth, that he is an idiot.  Has anyone ever seen a coach that tells a team not to attack a press? That must be how Nolan was so good, people attacked us passively so as to save their legs, And Stan, nobody said press for 40 minutes, but more than 5 would be nice.

STAN IS NOT A DIVISION ONE COACH, PERIOD,

FIRE STAN

wishyjoshy

RealSmartGuy

nwarazfan

Quote from: RealSmartGuy on March 21, 2006, 08:16:25 am
Basically he is calling Arkansas Fans idiots.

"I know there was a lot of talk," Heath said, "that maybe we should have pressed more and this, that, and the other. I watched all these [NCAA Tourney] games and I don’t know anybody pressing for 40 minutes. I haven’t seen that. But I also think you have to understand the game a little bit."

"Early in the game," Heath said, "when a team is being pressed and attacking your press is a lot different than late in the game when a team is trying to protect a lead. It’s going to be a lot more effective when a team is holding the ball as opposed to attacking you. And so our press was a lot more effective in the second half than it was in the first half because they were playing different against our press in the first half than the second half. I think that’s been overblown tremendously."

Oh yeah, we had those fresh legs too at the end, this basically proves to me, along with every other assinine quote that comes out of his mouth, that he is an idiot.  Has anyone ever seen a coach that tells a team not to attack a press? That must be how Nolan was so good, people attacked us passively so as to save their legs, And Stan, nobody said press for 40 minutes, but more than 5 would be nice.

STAN IS NOT A DIVISION ONE COACH, PERIOD,

FIRE STAN

He is actually calling fans, state media and national media basketball ignorant.

hoggystyle78

Hey Stanley, check out UAB, they may not press for the entire 40 minutes but they come damn close. If you weren't such a [CENSORED] maybe you could get control of your players and run their asses ragged! Why don't you take that wonderful(sarcasm) woman you're married to and both of you take your asses back to Michigan, believe me, the majority of Hog fans wouldn't lose a minutes sleep over it.   GO HOME AND TAKE YOUR UNHAPPY WIFE WITH YOU!!!!!!!!!!

hogfan064

F#ck you Stan Heath.  We won a NC pressing.  You won a MAC championship.  There was a quote from him a couple months back from a Missouri paper(I think it was before we were playing Mizzou) that was something like
"Arkansas fans need to realize that their program isn't like it once was"  That really pissed me off.  This quote makes me more angry.

RealSmartGuy

If I recall, I think people on here were calling for Don-Terrible to be benched long before he did, and when he did he started winning,  but then again, what do we know, we can't even see the obvious, it was to our benefit to play Bucknells game, gosh we are stupid

FIRE STAN

pseudorabies

I may be a couple of fries short of a happy meal so I might not understand this, but I think we lost to BUCKNELL!!! 

It doesn't surprise me that Heath said this.  After all, this is the same guy that kept playing Dontell Jefferson.  I don't understand everything about the game but what I do understand is that Dontell continually killed us.

wishyjoshy

So what do you think, NWA.  Didn't you think that we should have pressed them more to get them playing our game instead of the slow down game they were playing?  I mean, stuff.  Maybe it's just our redneck way of looking at things, I don't know.
Maybe I'm over reacting, but that upsets me a little.

RAZORBART

If we understood the game any better his ass would really feel the pain.

RealSmartGuy

NWARRAZFAN, I am glad to see you coming around, remember you have defended Stan, and he just called you a dad gum idiot.

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: hogfan064 on March 21, 2006, 08:25:53 am
F#ck you Stan Heath.  We won a NC pressing.  You won a MAC championship.  There was a quote from him a couple months back from a Missouri paper(I think it was before we were playing Mizzou) that was something like
"Arkansas fans need to realize that their program isn't like it once was"  That really pissed me off.  This quote makes me more angry.

Man I like Coach Heath but the more I think about it and especially after watching the Memphis state game:

We  had a piss poor game plan in the NCAA Tournament!
Sure would have been extra nice to have played Memphis State in front of 12K crazy hog fans. Memphis State is good but I thought we matched up well with MSU.
Memphis State extended their D and gave those guys all kinds of trouble and we stayed in that sagging zone and they got open three after open three! Sure they had a couple lucky shots but the were still open SEVERAL times.

Memphis State ran them to death and they didnt have the energy to knock down those threes.

I am a Coach Heath fan but saying things like that is a sure fire way of losing support and FAST!
That's a little like Houston Nutt and saying that we should settle for mediocrity.
Arkansas basketball has a powerhouse tradition and *hopefully* we're on the right track to get back there. That's what we hired Coach Heath to do, hopfully.

Tom T. Hog

I remember hearing Stan at a coaching clinic when he was first hired at Arkansas.  I was very impressed, and I wanted to see him succeed.  Making a statement like that is unbelievable,  I can't imagine a coach that will let the opposing team dictate the tempo without trying to change the pace of the game.  Whenever you have the better athletes you need to speed up the game.  It makes no sense to let the other team play in their comfort zone.  I still think we would have won the game, even at that pace, if we had only hit some F.T.'s down the stretch.

WILL CLINTON

So, which one do you like more?  Being called a redneck SOB and winning a NC, or being insinuated that you don't "understand the game a little bit" and losing to Bucknell??  I'll take redneck SOB for a NC alex. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

LA HAWG

Quote from: dubyacee on March 21, 2006, 09:09:28 am
So, which one do you like more?  Being called a redneck SOB and winning a NC, or being insinuated that you don't "understand the game a little bit" and losing to Bucknell??  I'll take redneck SOB for a NC alex. 

I will be a redneck SOB any day of the week if we are going to be good at basketball again.

nwarazfan

Quote from: JFen on March 21, 2006, 08:27:41 am
So what do you think, NWA.  Didn't you think that we should have pressed them more to get them playing our game instead of the slow down game they were playing?  I mean, stuff.  Maybe it's just our redneck way of looking at things, I don't know.
Maybe I'm over reacting, but that upsets me a little.

I said it Friday and I'm still saying it, we should have been full court press from at the very least the 10 minute mark if not the 16 minute mark in the 2nd half. 

Four things keep me from saying we should have pressed more than that- Hill could have picked up cheap fouls if the press was broken and Bucknell attacked the basket.  Hill played a good game on both ends and made their C a non-factor.  The next two are the ankles of Ferguson and Modica.  I know Mod could not have gone long at that pace.  And lastly, our team is in piss poor shape and this is what really bothers me.  Evidence was Brewer cramping up against Florida in the SECT.  We can't even play two moderate tempo games in a tournament?  Problem here.

Still 10-16 minutes would have been enough.  Buck's legs were gone those last two minutes.  Their PG was sucking for air in the 1st half vs Memphis.

And I haven't said fire Stan yet RealSmart. 

Cornhogio

I think you press early and often.  Not necessarily every trip down the court, but more often than not.  It's not just the immediate results that you're looking for (as NR knew full well).  It's like body shots early in a fight.  If Stan doesn't get that, then I don't know how he's done as well as he has thus far.
Society is responsible for the night that it produces.

3kgthog

Apparently Stan doesn't understand the game or he simply can't read or listen. I haven't seen one single Hog fan calling for Stan to press for the entire 40 minutes of the game. The vast majority of us were pleading with him to deploy the press a hell of a lot sooner than when we were about to get blown out. If we had used it on just a few more trips up the court then maybe they would've missed a couple more threes or maybe given us some turnovers we could've turned into easy points.

But we'll never know because Stan a) was afraid to put McCurdy in and give someone even a teeny tiny rest b)  apparently didn't condition his players well enough so they could press more than a couple of minutes per game and c) didn't recruit enough shooting so we wouldn't have to grind Brewer down to a nub because we relied on him too much during the season. I also suppose all those former coaches aren't knowledgeable about the game because some also questioned his gameplan just like we did.

On top of all that, Heath now says in today's articles that next year we'll actually be able to press whenever we want. I know our d was hampered by Modica and Jefferson, but it's not like either one is as slow as Preston Cranford. Apparently Stan believes that Gary Ervin is Gary Payton reborn, Stefan Welsh is Ron Artest, and Weems is Scottie Pippen on defense during the championship years. I can't wait to freaking see this lockdown press we're gonna break out next year. The nation should be wetting their Fubus just thinking about it.

wishyjoshy

Quote from: nwarazfan on March 21, 2006, 09:18:50 am
And I haven't said fire Stan yet RealSmart. 

Too bad.  I have come to realize that, even though you like Duke, you are a smart guy.  And more the most part, you know what you are talking about.  ;)  I think you are just a little more patient than some of us.  You will be saying it soon, though.

nwarazfan

Quote from: Cornhogio on March 21, 2006, 09:22:37 am
I think you press early and often.  Not necessarily every trip down the court, but more often than not.  It's not just the immediate results that you're looking for (as NR knew full well).  It's like body shots early in a fight.  If Stan doesn't get that, then I don't know how he's done as well as he has thus far.

Stan doesn't trust our incestuous media.(Think Nolan has been in his ear on this.) I just don't get the feeling he is always totally up front with us.  He is very polished to the point that he almost sounds like a politician but in a different way from our con man football coach.  I believe Stan wants to say that he doesn't think our backcourt is good enough especially not 100% healthy to force an up tempo game for very long.  And we aren't in good enough shape(which again is a problem).  And I agree with that. 

But for one game on Friday considering the matchup, we should have forced the tempo with our defense much longer even with a hurting backcourt.  They can't shoot anyway.  Junk baskets, fast breaks combined with tired-leg shooters for Bucknell was our best hope at winning.

Calling All Hogs

To Heath: Whatever helps you sleep at night sister.

nwarazfan

Stan is in danger of losing all but the most ardent sunshine koolaid drinkers.  Our program needs to get an identity very soon because as of now it is very blah.  I don't care really what the identity is but we need to start doing something well and have some strength or strengths you can point to and say that we can count on that.  And I'm not asking for a moniker or style like the Runnin' Rebels had or 40 MOH either.  I just want to see us become a good up tempo team or rebounding team or halfcourt defense team or powerful, skilled frontcourt team...just something.  As of now I have know idea how to characterize us in a positive way except we have some big guys with potential and a couple of good recruits coming.  This program has no identity. 

Run with this darksiders.

HogBall94

[/quote]

Stan doesn't trust our incestuous media.(Think Nolan has been in his ear on this.) I just don't get the feeling he is always totally up front with us.  He is very polished to the point that he almost sounds like a politician but in a different way from our con man football coach.  I believe Stan wants to say that he doesn't think our backcourt is good enough especially not 100% healthy to force an up tempo game for very long.  And we aren't in good enough shape(which again is a problem).  And I agree with that. 
[/quote]

Stan's philosophy is half-court defense, opportunistic transition, and involving everyone in the halfcourt offense.  A scrambling, frenetic style that gives up easy baskets while tiring an opponent out is NOT HIS STYLE.  There's more than one way to win games.  Who knows if this team could have scored enough to be close enough at the end to benefit from Bucknell's fatigue?

I remember on MANY occasions Nolan was criticized for a lack of rebounding (which he did not emphasize because of his style) after it cost us some games.

Nobody likes losing and everyone thinks if Heath/Nolan would just listen to JoeBob from the hardware store we'd win more games.

RealSmartGuy

Perhaps this will sum it up, Stan is a damn idiot, in 4 years, we should have a little identity. 

FIRE STAN

wishyjoshy

Then recruit the players that fit your system.  If he wants a half court offense, fine.  Get some effen shooters.  Get some effen big men who WILL rebound.  There are too many holes in the dam to stick your finger in just one of them.  All the village people who live beneath the dam should run away!

pseudorabies

Quote from: HogBall94 on March 21, 2006, 09:41:20 am

Stan's philosophy is half-court defense, opportunistic transition, and involving everyone in the halfcourt offense.  A scrambling, frenetic style that gives up easy baskets while tiring an opponent out is NOT HIS STYLE.  There's more than one way to win games.  Who knows if this team could have scored enough to be close enough at the end to benefit from Bucknell's fatigue?

I remember on MANY occasions Nolan was criticized for a lack of rebounding (which he did not emphasize because of his style) after it cost us some games.

Nobody likes losing and everyone thinks if Heath/Nolan would just listen to JoeBob from the hardware store we'd win more games.

I thought that is who we hired.....you know, JoeBob from the hardware store.

nwarazfan

Quote from: HogBall94 on March 21, 2006, 09:41:20 am

[/quote]

[/quote]

I know I'm going to sound like I want to fire Stan again with this.  But, at this point Stan has given us lip service on what style he likes and what he wants to mold our program into(which is Mich St) yet so far we have come up short on everything which has resulted in mixed results.

Our halfcourt defense has been suspect where we are late on rotating and providing help and poor at getting over and around screens to defend the 3.  Hill and Townes were good shot blockers but too often the off. rebound was put back in or we missed the block and failed to rotate over to help on Hill's man whom he had left.  Stan basically said going to zone is a sign of weakness yet we have to repeatedly do it because our man defense isn't good enough.

Our rebounding has been pitiful especially compared to vintage Mich St teams.  Hunter is the only one that always goes in to rebound with passion.  RB does too especially late in the game.  That isn't enough against good teams. 

These were two key strong points Stan said was going to be an integral part of his system.  And that is why I'm saying this program has to get a positive identity going early this next season.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: nwarazfan on March 21, 2006, 09:28:01 am

But for one game on Friday considering the matchup, we should have forced the tempo with our defense much longer even with a hurting backcourt.  They can't shoot anyway.  Junk baskets, fast breaks combined with tired-leg shooters for Bucknell was our best hope at winning.

We could have played a lot of different methods of defense and done much better.  Obviously.  I agree with your statement about how Heath does not trust the media, but I don't believe he cares to tell the fans anything substantive either.  That's a Big Ten thing.
[CENSORED]!

nwarazfan

March 21, 2006, 10:08:16 am #30 Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 10:11:02 am by nwarazfan
Quote from: JFen on March 21, 2006, 09:52:24 am
Then recruit the players that fit your system.  If he wants a half court offense, fine.  Get some effen shooters.  Get some effen big men who WILL rebound.  There are too many holes in the dam to stick your finger in just one of them.  All the village people who live beneath the dam should run away!

I don't believe Stan wants to be a halfcourt team.  He has given lip service to playing more up tempo too.  Hopefully the Ervin/Weems combo with maybe a Smith or Beverley added will start providing that.  I think Stan is smart enough to realize that he cannot coach a system like Stansbury has over at Ms St and expect our fans to be happy.  We should have the pieces next year to get out of being bogged down in the halfcourt.  Our big guys even move well for their size.

HogBall94

Quote from: nwarazfan on March 21, 2006, 10:08:16 am
Quote from: JFen on March 21, 2006, 09:52:24 am

I don't believe Stan wants to be a halfcourt team.  He has given lip service to playing more up tempo too.  Hopefully the Ervin/Weems combo with maybe a Smith or Beverley added will start provinding that.  I think Stan is smart enough to realize that he cannot coach a system like Stansbury has over at Ms St and expect our fans to be happy.  We should have the pieces next year to get out of being bogged down in the halfcourt.  Our big guys even move well for their size.

Exactly.  Until those players are in place, play to your strengths, even if they're not that strong.

wishyjoshy

My point is that Stan has had four years to recruit the type of players he needs for his system.  I think Chris Lofton would fit nicely into a half court or full court system, plus he can shoot the ball.  But no, just like HDN, Stan obviously cannot judge talent, or at least talent that can play D1 college level.
I don't want him taking us to the level of a Michigan St.  I want to be back better than that.  I don't think he can do it.  The best we will ever be with Stan is Michigan St's step brother.  Without Michigan going on probation, Michigan St. would have never won that National Championship with Cleeves.

HogBall94

So your point is that, post-Nolan, we should have hired....who?

What other candidates were available - I don't remember.

NATEHOGG216

Quote from: HogBall94 on March 21, 2006, 10:18:41 am
So your point is that, post-Nolan, we should have hired....who?

What other candidates were available - I don't remember.

RICK P, you know, surely you heard of him right.  final four with 3 different teams.  Oh yeah, he was looking for a job the VERY SAME year.  I am QUITE SURE he would have chosen us over LOUISVILLE.
Quote from: 3kgthog on August 27, 2013, 09:15:10 AM
Just because the Crash Test Dummies were good at hitting a brick wall didn't mean they were good drivers.

wishyjoshy

I think we should have bitten the bullet and paid for Self.  That might have made things more difficult with the Nolan suit, but we want to win, right?
He wanted to come here. 
I'm not a fan of Anderson, but I believe he is a slightly better coach than Heath.  Only slightly, because if you take his team out of there game (up tempo) they fall apart.  Just like we do when someone runs a 2-3 zone on us.
Rick Barnes, Steve Alford, Billy Donovan, and others could have been bought, too.  We would have actually had to pay some really good money for them, though.

NATEHOGG216

My favorite part about the "basketball genius' (pretty much what he thinks of himself) game plan was to play a BS ZONE, thats right ZONE, against a team with NO inside pr essence and  great 3 pt shooters.  GOOD COACHING.  Boy I sure wish I understood BBALL like this genius
Just because the Crash Test Dummies were good at hitting a brick wall didn't mean they were good drivers.

nwarazfan

Quote from: JFen on March 21, 2006, 10:16:20 am
My point is that Stan has had four years to recruit the type of players he needs for his system.  I think Chris Lofton would fit nicely into a half court or full court system, plus he can shoot the ball.  But no, just like HDN, Stan obviously cannot judge talent, or at least talent that can play D1 college level.
I don't want him taking us to the level of a Michigan St.  I want to be back better than that.  I don't think he can do it.  The best we will ever be with Stan is Michigan St's step brother.  Without Michigan going on probation, Michigan St. would have never won that National Championship with Cleeves.

You are off on Lofton.  Heath was holding out hope for Al Jefferson to leave the NBA Draft and come to Fay for a year.  Miscalculation but not a misevaluation on Lofton.  It was risk Heath took to get a lottery pick and it failed.  I wish we had Lofton and hindsight is 20/20 on Al of course.  I understand why Heath did it though.  Al's entourage were sending out signals that he may would come to the UA.

NATEHOGG216

Quote from: JFen on March 21, 2006, 10:30:25 am
I think we should have bitten the bullet and paid for Self.  That might have made things more difficult with the Nolan suit, but we want to win, right?
He wanted to come here. 
I'm not a fan of Anderson, but I believe he is a slightly better coach than Heath.  Only slightly, because if you take his team out of there game (up tempo) they fall apart.  Just like we do when someone runs a 2-3 zone on us.
Rick Barnes, Steve Alford, Billy Donovan, and others could have been bought, too.  We would have actually had to pay some really good money for them, though.

Come on JFEN,  Have you not been listening to JFB, it is not about WINNING, it is about $$$$$.  In order to win you have to spend some of that $$$$ that JFB isn't willing to do. 

hogmary

The point is, Stan Heath needs to understand the game!  He has shown abysmal ignorance of the history of Razorback basketball, the knowledge of the Hog fans and the game itself.

As angry as I am after losing a game we should have won, that anger pales beside what I feel when I see or hear Stan Heath's asinine comments about the game.

He and Nutt have a lot in common...neither has a "system" that is discernable to the fans and they always say they cannot run their systems because they don't have the right players.  Whose fault is that?

Heath, figure out what the heck you are trying to do, then recruit the players to run the system and hire an assistant coach to teach it, because you sure as heck can't.

WilsonHog

Stanley Fresh Legs obviously needs a PR consultant.

I bet when he read that even Houston Nutt was saying, "Damn, Stanley, I don't believe I would have said that!"

NATEHOGG216

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 21, 2006, 10:53:54 am
Stanley Fresh Legs obviously needs a PR consultant.

I bet when he read that even Houston Nutt was saying, "Damn, Stanley, I don't believe I would have said that!"

No but he sure made a heckuva call brotha

NATEHOGG216

WilsonHog

Can you imagine how much of a belly laugh Nolan Richardson would have reading that?  Better yet, can you imagine how ugly it would have been if one of Nolan's "40 Minutes of Hell" teams played one coached by Stanley Fresh Legs?

Lando Calrissian

I said it a few months ago and I'll say it again:  Nolan's 2000 team (the one that made the fluke run through the SEC tournament) would have run this current team out of the gym.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 21, 2006, 10:57:59 am
Can you imagine how much of a belly laugh Nolan Richardson would have reading that?  Better yet, can you imagine how ugly it would have been if one of Nolan's "40 Minutes of Hell" teams played one coached by Stanley Fresh Legs?

You have a good point.  Nolan made a career out of eating up coaches who play like Heath wants to play.  He used 10-11 players and taught them to play harder than the opposition learns to play.  Nolan broke down players' internal "save my energy" resistance + it was why his system worked with players Heath couldn't begin to use.  It is hard for Hog fans to watch teams that play with such less intensity.  It's natural; Heath's more traditional basketball.  BUT BUT BUT if we're going to play traditional basketball, we better show some traditional fundamentals.  WHAT IS OUR DEFENSIVE CONCEPT?  WHAT IS OUR OFFENSIVE CONCEPT?  WHAT ARE WE TRYING TO DO?  I hope we see next season.  This year like the previous three, Heath was ALL OVER THE LOT.

It just galls me how he thinks he can overlook certain opponents.  Does he know by now how he's sabotaging his own team?
[CENSORED]!

Cajun Hog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 21, 2006, 11:04:42 am
Quote from: WilsonHog on March 21, 2006, 10:57:59 am

BP you've been on the mark all year.  Will Frank give in a roll over Stanley Fresh Legs contract?  Frank, if you have any re-growen any, you won't rollover the contract. FYI - By not rolling it over you will save MONEY, when you buy him out next year.
You have a good point.  Nolan made a career out of eating up coaches who play like Heath wants to play.  He used 10-11 players and taught them to play harder than the opposition learns to play.  Nolan broke down players' internal "save my energy" resistance + it was why his system worked with players Heath couldn't begin to use.  It is hard for Hog fans to watch teams that play with such less intensity.  It's natural; Heath's more traditional basketball.  BUT BUT BUT if we're going to play traditional basketball, we better show some traditional fundamentals.  WHAT IS OUR DEFENSIVE CONCEPT?  WHAT IS OUR OFFENSIVE CONCEPT?  WHAT ARE WE TRYING TO DO?  I hope we see next season.  This year like the previous three, Heath was ALL OVER THE LOT.

It just galls me how he thinks he can overlook certain opponents.  Does he know by now how he's sabotaging his own team?

hogfan064

Stanley Fresh Legs didn't even know what a Hog call was before his press conference.  Did SFL research Arkansas at all before coming here?  Or did SFL just see an opening and think "Oh Arkansas has a decent program, they pay well I think I'll coach there"

Heres to praying Stan takes his fresh legs to Iowa

wishyjoshy

Just talked to Jason Gilbert.  He put a curse on the program just like Babe Ruth did when he left Boston.  He said something about being a Cubs fan and a goat.  He went on to say that UA basketball will be down until he is the coach.

WxHog

Do you suppose the reason why he doesn't press much is because he is intent on seperating himself from Nolan as much as possible?  I hope not, but that issue could be in his head.  As stated above, the team with better athletes should speed up the tempo of the game.  Obviously, with both teams scoring in the 50s, Bucknell controled the tempo for the majority of the game.