Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

*The double-secret reason why Hoop Hogs have ALL THE PIECES, but might IMPLODE--

Started by fourthcrusade, December 19, 2006, 12:33:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

fourthcrusade

This morning's democrat-gazette put it better than i could:

"Every opponent's scouting report most likely will read like this until Arkansas proves otherwise: Backcourt vulnerable. "

http://wholehogsports.com/adg/176336/

LunaticRed

It's called what goes around comes around, Nolan's philosphy in full effect how many years did we prey on teams with this problem.Well it's a problem fundamentals will not solve this you either you have the skills or you don't playground ball is where you find the skills needed to play.

fourthcrusade

Quote from: LunaticRed on December 20, 2006, 08:30:25 am
It's called what goes around comes around, Nolan's philosphy in full effect how many years did we prey on teams with this problem.Well it's a problem fundamentals will not solve this you either you have the skills or you don't playground ball is where you find the skills needed to play.

True, except the 'playground skills' of nolan's boys turned into to fouls and DQs on the road...creating turnovers was the hallmark of BARNHILL, but not so much, say, AT _____ (fill in the blank).  all too often it led to quick cheap fouls.

( though obviously i'd take one of his 30 win seasons over 22-10.)

HeathWimp

I agree that turnovers are a big part of the problem.

However, I think that the turnovers are a symptom of a larger, underlying problem:  a lack of toughness, both mental and physical.  Heath is a wus, and his players seem to emulate this.  I do not see the kind of toughness that championship teams possess.   I think a lot of these turnovers stem from a lack of confidence, which is very closely tied to toughness. 

I also see gaffes on defense that seem to be the result of a lack of tougness -  i.e. getting pushed around in the paint.

Any thoughts? 
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"