Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

*The double-secret reason why Hoop Hogs have ALL THE PIECES, but might IMPLODE--

Started by fourthcrusade, December 19, 2006, 12:33:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

fourthcrusade

So i've been touting our Great FT%, nice FG & 3pts%, the fact that townes and hill are nat'l block leaders, and our overall 'fundamental' skills on paper.  So why did we lose to Ttech/mizzou in blowout fashion? 

Answer= TURNOVERS. TURNOVERS.  TURNOVERS. 

We are LAST IN THE SEC for turning the ball over.  Auburn is better.  Ole Miss is better.  **Nationally we are LAST, DEAD LAST in terms of BCS schools in turning the ball over.  We rank in the bottom thirty or so.  BOTTOM!   Guys, 25% of our possessions lead to turnovers.  (the best schools are 15%).  25% of possessions lead to turnovers.  WOW.  IT doesn't matter if we shoot well from the line, or behind the arc, and it doesnt matter that hill shoots 70% from the field, or that he and townes are national block leaders, it doesnt matter if beverley and thomas and welsh are playing their guts out, or if hunter shows passion --  WE ARE SIMPLY TURNING THE BALL OVER TOO MUCH.  The numbers are FRIGHTENING.  DEAD LAST for BCS schools (in hoops, though) for Turnovers.  25% of the time as a team.

-------
But it gets worse... INDIVIDUALS turn the ball over too much.  From kenpom.com :  "It is highly dependent on context, but anything below 15% is great. Average in 2005 was around 20%. Point guards are typically in the 20-25% range due to the nature of their position. Players that do little passing or dribbling will have an artificially deflated TO%."

So 15% is great, 20% is average..... wanna guess our guys??

< 15 % = GREAT = NO ONE...surprise

15-20% = AVERAGE =    
Thomas   19% of possessions are Turnovers
Cranford   19
Townes   19

20-25% = AVERAGE FOR PGs =   
Beverley   20% of possessions are Turnovers
Welsh   22
Weems   25

25-30 % = BAD =    

> 30% = DREADFUL =   
Hunter   32% of possessions are Turnovers
Hill   33
Ervin   34
McCurdy   39% of possessions are Turnovers!!

http://kenpom.com/sr.php?team=Arkansas
http://kenpom.com/factors.php?y=2007&t=o&s=5

So this is the problem.  We shoot well, we defend well, we shoot fts well, we shoot 3's well, but as a team we get LESS chances to score because we have a HUGE chance of a TO instead of a possession.  Just look at the "DREADFUL" category above.  HOW are we supposed to EVER compete if our Starting/Sub POINT GUARDS + our Starting/Sub CENTERS are Butterfingers??

This is the proof.  THis is the reason.  Sure, we can argue about "passion" or "big 10" or "they score too little - only 56 against ttech?".  But this is it.  We have all the pieces.  Big men.  Defenders.  Quick guards.  Shooters.  Free throw guys.  Long arms.  Wide power forwards.  But it doesn't matter one bit because we don't get a CHANCE to shoot - we either fumble it around the 3 point line or fumble it down low.  It may be easier to blame Stan for not "having them ready to play", and as coach, he should definitely be blamed in part.  But I absolutely cannot believe that we are this bad at simply HANDLING the ball!

TURNOVERS ARE KILLING US!

1 OUT OF 4 TRIPS UPCOURT = TO.
1 OUT OF 3 TRIPS UPCOURT = ERVIN/MCCURDY TO
1 OUT OF 3 BIG MEN TOUCHES = HILL/HUNTER TO

We absolutely can beat Texas on Wednesday night.  We match up well against them.  We can do very well in the SEC.   We can handle most teams in the first two rounds come March.  But if we continue to turn the ball over at these astronomically bad rates, if our PGs can't hold on to the ball, then I forsee a job vacancy on the Hill come April, and it won't be the guy who's here until 2012.

ColumbianHog

Quote from: fourthcrusade on December 19, 2006, 12:33:19 pm
So i've been touting our Great FT%, nice FG & 3pts%, the fact that townes and hill are nat'l block leaders, and our overall 'fundamental' skills on paper.  So why did we lose to Ttech/mizzou in blowout fashion? 

We are LAST IN THE SEC for turning the ball over.  Auburn is better.  Ole Miss is better.  **Nationally we are LAST, DEAD LAST in terms of BCS schools in turning the ball over.  We rank in the bottom thirty or so.  BOTTOM!   Guys, 25% of our possessions lead to turnovers.  (the best schools are 15%).  25% of possessions lead to turnovers.  WOW.  IT doesn't matter if we shoot well from the line, or behind the arc, and it doesnt matter that hill shoots 70% from the field, or that he and townes are national block leaders, it doesnt matter if beverley and thomas and welsh are playing their guts out, or if hunter shows passion --  WE ARE SIMPLY TURNING THE BALL OVER TOO MUCH.  The numbers are FRIGHTENING.  DEAD LAST for BCS schools (in hoops, though) for Turnovers.  25% of the time as a team.

-------
But it gets worse... INDIVIDUALS turn the ball over too much.  From kenpom.com :  "It is highly dependent on context, but anything below 15% is great. Average in 2005 was around 20%. Point guards are typically in the 20-25% range due to the nature of their position. Players that do little passing or dribbling will have an artificially deflated TO%."

15-20% = AVERAGE =    
Cranford   19
Townes   19

Welsh   22
Weems   25

25-30 % = BAD =    

> 30% = DREADFUL =   
Hill   33
Ervin   34

So this is the problem.  We shoot well, we defend well, we shoot fts well, we shoot 3's well, but as a team we get LESS chances to score because we have a HUGE chance of a TO instead of a possession.  Just look at the "DREADFUL" category above.  HOW are we supposed to EVER compete if our Starting/Sub POINT GUARDS + our Starting/Sub CENTERS are Butterfingers??

This is the proof.  THis is the reason.  Sure, we can argue about "passion" or "big 10" or "they score too little - only 56 against ttech?".  But this is it.  We have all the pieces.  Big men.  Defenders.  Quick guards.  Shooters.  Free throw guys.  Long arms.  Wide power forwards.  But it doesn't matter one bit because we don't get a CHANCE to shoot - we either fumble it around the 3 point line or fumble it down low.  It may be easier to blame Stan for not "having them ready to play", and as coach, he should definitely be blamed in part.  But I absolutely cannot believe that we are this bad at simply HANDLING the ball!

We absolutely can beat Texas on Wednesday night.  We match up well against them.  We can do very well in the SEC.   We can handle most teams in the first two rounds come March.  But if we continue to turn the ball over at these astronomically bad rates, if our PGs can't hold on to the ball, then I forsee a job vacancy on the Hill come April, and it won't be the guy who's here until 2012.

fourthcrusade,

Good stats...good facts.  I agree.

Questions:

1.   why do you think they turn the ball over so much?

2.   what should they do to fix it?

rasorback4life

I completely agree.  The slightest bit of pressure and we go to crap.
Mediocrity Rules!!!

hogfan064

Quote from: ColumbianHog on December 19, 2006, 12:38:09 pm

We are LAST IN THE SEC for turning the ball over.  Auburn is better.  Ole Miss is better.  **Nationally we are LAST, DEAD LAST in terms of BCS schools in turning the ball over.  We rank in the bottom thirty or so.  BOTTOM!   Guys, 25% of our possessions lead to turnovers.  (the best schools are 15%).  25% of possessions lead to turnovers.  WOW.  IT doesn't matter if we shoot well from the line, or behind the arc, and it doesnt matter that hill shoots 70% from the field, or that he and townes are national block leaders, it doesnt matter if beverley and thomas and welsh are playing their guts out, or if hunter shows passion --  WE ARE SIMPLY TURNING THE BALL OVER TOO MUCH.  The numbers are FRIGHTENING.  DEAD LAST for BCS schools (in hoops, though) for Turnovers.  25% of the time as a team.

-------

15-20% = AVERAGE =    
Cranford   19
Townes   19

Welsh   22
Weems   25

25-30 % = BAD =    

> 30% = DREADFUL =   
Hill   33
Ervin   34

fourthcrusade,

Questions:

1.   why do you think they turn the ball over so much?

2.   what should they do to fix it?

1. Fundamentals and coaching
2. Get a guy who can coach fundamentals.

fourthcrusade

fourthcrusade,
  Questions:
1. i don't know - i think they get scared when things aren't their way.  i think hill plays with confidence if he doesn't get banged up, but if guys are hacking him and no fouls are there, i think he loses it.
Mccurdy?  i havent the FAINTEST idea.  Ervin?  i was hoping it was because he's been off the "real" court for a year and is rusty.

i also think we should have been more ready for the press vs mizzou, but as was discussed they were stuck in the hotel and had no breaks after orlando, etc, etc.  

2. i don't know :) -- i'd say "work on ball handling in practice" --but this isn't peewee or bitty basketball - this is SEC D-1.  when we recruit guys as guards, we figure they can hold onto a DRIBBLE.  

if i knew i could be a successful coach of texas ;)

ColumbianHog

Quote from: hogfan064 on December 19, 2006, 12:40:45 pm

-------

15-20% = AVERAGE =    
Cranford   19
Townes   19

Welsh   22
Weems   25

25-30 % = BAD =    

> 30% = DREADFUL =   
Hill   33
Ervin   34

fourthcrusade,

Questions:

thanks

HogISH™

-------

15-20% = AVERAGE =    
Cranford   19
Townes   19

Welsh   22
Weems   25

25-30 % = BAD =    

> 30% = DREADFUL =   
Hill   33
Ervin   34

fourthcrusade,

Questions:

like nolan?

HogISH
|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|...BEER   TRUCK..........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -|
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)

Hogville Trash Can Moderator - my theme song:

Isn't it rich, isn't it queer
Losing my timing this late in my career  And where are the clowns  Quick send in the clowns  Don't bother they're here.

pigmania

Ross U (HDHF)

Nice (or not so nice, I guess) stats.  Absolutely have to take care of the ball. 

fourthcrusade

obviously from bucknell to mizzou, there are times when Stan did not have them ready for a certain kind of play, and TOTALLY his fault.

But, really, how can we "teach" "hold onto the ball".  it's not like we are called for moving screens or blowing pick-and-rolls.  it's not like we can't inbound the ball to a tall guy who throws it back to a streaking guard.   we are just fumbling the ball, ALLOWING STEALS.... i can't stand to watch them jumble it, and i don't know how to fix it.

hogfan064

Quote from: HogISH™ on December 19, 2006, 12:42:36 pm

-------

15-20% = AVERAGE =    
Cranford   19
Townes   19

Welsh   22
Weems   25

25-30 % = BAD =    

> 30% = DREADFUL =   
Hill   33
Ervin   34

fourthcrusade,

Questions:

like nolan?

HogISH

No, we don't need a racist on the Hill anymore.  He used us to make his "leader for black coaches" speech and we used him for success in the 90s.  If you could give me a guy with Heath's class and Nolan's coaching ability I'd be happy.

ColumbianHog

Quote from: fourthcrusade on December 19, 2006, 12:41:38 pm
fourthcrusade,
  Questions:
1. i don't know - i think they get scared when things aren't their way.  i think hill plays with confidence if he doesn't get banged up, but if guys are hacking him and no fouls are there, i think he loses it.
Mccurdy?  i havent the FAINTEST idea.  Ervin?  i was hoping it was because he's been off the "real" court for a year and is rusty.

i also think we should have been more ready for the press vs mizzou, but as was discussed they were stuck in the hotel and had no breaks after orlando, etc, etc.  

2. i don't know :) -- i'd say "work on ball handling in practice" --but this isn't peewee or bitty basketball - this is SEC D-1.  when we recruit guys as guards, we figure they can hold onto a DRIBBLE.  

Yeah, you would think they could manage the game a bit better.  It seems like Ervin gets in a hurry and loses control. HIS turnovers stick out the most to me.  He's having his best year as far as assists and scoring go but his worst in turnovers.

I wonder what the stats would look like if you took out the Missouri game?  Would McCurdy's go down?  And Hunter's too?  Maybe I'll investigate that.

HogISH™

Quote from: hogfan064 on December 19, 2006, 12:44:38 pm

-------

15-20% = AVERAGE =    
Cranford   19
Townes   19

Welsh   22
Weems   25

25-30 % = BAD =    

> 30% = DREADFUL =   
Hill   33
Ervin   34

fourthcrusade,

Questions:

like nolan?

HogISH

No, we don't need a racist on the Hill anymore.  He used us to make his "leader for black coaches" speech and we used him for success in the 90s.  If you could give me a guy with Heath's class and Nolan's coaching ability I'd be happy.

i will take sutton for coaching ability.

HogISH
|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|...BEER   TRUCK..........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -|
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)

Hogville Trash Can Moderator - my theme song:

Isn't it rich, isn't it queer
Losing my timing this late in my career  And where are the clowns  Quick send in the clowns  Don't bother they're here.

hogfan064

Quote from: fourthcrusade on December 19, 2006, 12:44:22 pm

obviously from bucknell to mizzou, there are times when Stan did not have them ready for a certain kind of play, and TOTALLY his fault.

But, really, how can we "teach" "hold onto the ball".  it's not like we are called for moving screens or blowing pick-and-rolls.  it's not like we can't inbound the ball to a tall guy who throws it back to a streaking guard.   we are just fumbling the ball, ALLOWING STEALS.... i can't stand to watch them jumble it, and i don't know how to fix it.

There are ways to teach ball handling and it starts with the head man.  We also need to teach Hill how to put a body on a man and rebound the dang ball.  The man is 7'1 and can't rebound.  How in 3 years has he not improved on that part of his game?  I can understand not being an effective offensive weapon, but rebounding is about being agressive and boxing your man out.

fourthcrusade

Quote from: hogfan064 on December 19, 2006, 12:46:50 pm

There are ways to teach ball handling and it starts with the head man.  We also need to teach Hill how to put a body on a man and rebound the dang ball.  The man is 7'1 and can't rebound.  How in 3 years has he not improved on that part of his game?  I can understand not being an effective offensive weapon, but rebounding is about being agressive and boxing your man out.

i have noticed -- and this was posted in another thread -- that hill bends down and lowers his head when he gets the ball, and that eliminates the Height advantage.

Totally right on that -- which shows the lack of CONFIDENCE.  he is afraid of getting the ball stolen, so he bends down to protect the ball, instead of going straight up with it where he is.  bending over makes him no more a threat than a 6'5" guy. 

(p.s. - hill is actually 6'11"+fraction... and it not a 'true seven footer', even though every commentator says so :))

Archie Gaines

Quote from: fourthcrusade on December 19, 2006, 12:41:38 pm
fourthcrusade,
  Questions:

Hey,  Good Posts...

And you're right.
I'm no expert, but even my wife thought that
our offense was running in "slow motion" at times.

Even here in Greenwood, the HS team gets
Really Aggressive in pushing the ball...
No standing around, no slow feet..

Thanks, appreciate your efforts in writing your
analysis so well.
"No man who is corrupt,  no man who condones corruption in others,  can possibly do his duty in the community... "

Teddy Roosevelt  -  May 12, 1900

HogBaptist

-------

15-20% = AVERAGE =    
Cranford   19
Townes   19

Welsh   22
Weems   25

25-30 % = BAD =    

> 30% = DREADFUL =   
Hill   33
Ervin   34

fourthcrusade, i'll give it to you. you did your homework on this one.  good post.

Hawgon

QuoteBut, really, how can we "teach" "hold onto the ball".  it's not like we are called for moving screens or blowing pick-and-rolls.  it's not like we can't inbound the ball to a tall guy who throws it back to a streaking guard.   we are just fumbling the ball, ALLOWING STEALS.... i can't stand to watch them jumble it, and i don't know how to fix it.

It is the little things like taking care of the ball that convince me Stan will never get it done.  His teams have never done the little things that cause you to win games well.  We have always made lazy passes. We have always played great defense on possession after to possession just to get lazy in the last five seconds and give up an easy basket possession after possession.

When a team isn't doing the little things on a consistent basis it means only one of two things: 1) The coach doesn't know to teach them; or 2) The coach knows and stresses them but the team doesn't respect or fear him enough to do them when it counts.

Stan's teams don't respect him.  It really is a simple fix.  Watch a game film with your team and point out all of the simple mistakes.  Then, run them until they pass out, literally.  Wake them up, and run them until they pass out again.  Conduct practice.  If they make the same mistakes in practice, run them until they pass out.  Wake them up, run them until they pass out again.  If during the next game, certain players continue to make those mistakes, bench them and bury them on the bench until they understand that those kinds of mistakes will not be tolerated.  If players quit, so be it.  They need to understand that you are the boss and that the game will be played as you dictate.  It is even more important in a style of play like Stan's that demands absolute fundamental perfection in order to succeed.

ColumbianHog

For comparison's sake, Jared Jordan of Marist leads the nation in assists and his turnover pecentage is about 19%.  His assist-to ratio is right at 2:1.

Ervin's is 1.4:1.

McCurdy's is 1:1.  He doesn't play much so it doesn't look so bad during a game.

spudhog

you are relentless 4th crusade. there's gotta be something for that.

ColumbianHog

As a sidenote...did you guys see during the TT game where we were trying to inbound the ball and everyone was just standing around...no cutting, no shuffling of the feet even.  The inbounder had to call TO.  My financee left the room because I was shouting at the TV so loud.

TRUHOG718

Quote from: hogfan064 on December 19, 2006, 12:46:50 pm

When you play for the Razorbacks you gotta have that grit, determination, and heart/fire in your veins coming in even if your skills are not all that (Larry Satchell). Sometimes your players will become a reflection of the coach but Heath isnt that type of coach so he's gonna have to learn on his own. Maybe in the NBDL but I dont see it happeneing here.
http://www.sicollection.com/assets/images/nolan_richardson_300.jpg

One Day. We Will Be Back. I Promise You This.

Niels Boar

Turnovers are our biggest problem but not the only major one.  Against Texas Tech and Missouri we were 6 for 34 from the arc.  Our great shooting has come against SEM St. and Oakland.  Once you throw out those two cream puffs, our perimeter shooting is lousy.  We also don't have any pure rebounders.  Texas has two guys getting 7+ rebounds per game.  We have none and a center that needs get 1 rebound about every 9 minutes.  That's subpar for a PG.  Beck could rebound circles around Hill.  We missed all those shots and rebounded only 21% of our misses against Texas Tech.  You could count on Nolan's worst rebounding teams to get about 30%. 

dhornjr1

Quote from: HogISH™ on December 19, 2006, 12:46:48 pm
Quote from: hogfan064 on December 19, 2006, 12:44:38 pm

-------

15-20% = AVERAGE =    
Cranford   19
Townes   19

Welsh   22
Weems   25

25-30 % = BAD =    

> 30% = DREADFUL =   
Hill   33
Ervin   34

fourthcrusade,

Questions:

like nolan?

HogISH

i will take sutton for coaching ability.

HogISH

How many National Championships did Sutton win?

dhornjr1

QuoteNo, we don't need a racist on the Hill anymore.

One racist Athletic Director is enough.

Hog Fan from Camden

Quote from: HogBaptist on December 19, 2006, 12:54:58 pm

-------

15-20% = AVERAGE =    
Cranford   19
Townes   19

Welsh   22
Weems   25

25-30 % = BAD =    

> 30% = DREADFUL =   
Hill   33
Ervin   34

fourthcrusade, i'll give it to you. you did your homework on this one.  good post.

Impressive, giving your opinion then backing up with facts/stats.  You make the rest of us look bad dude.

hogsanity

We DONT HAVE ALL THE PIECES.  Last time I checked, PG was a pretty important piece, and we dont have one.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

LA HAWG

hogfankb

While I agree with the point, that turnovers are killing us, I am a little confused on how the possession stat is obtained. Is that total team possessions? It so, you can't really compare McCurdy/Ervin's percentages because Ervin spends a larger amount of possessions with the ball in his hands.

I do think this is a fundamentals issue but I don't think it is dribbling. It is not making good cuts. Watch our down screens to start the possession. If we are not able to make that first pass we are in BIG trouble. It usually leads to the PG picking up his dribble and everything becoming frantic and disorganized. We need to add to our offense a secondary option if that pass is not available. All teams have to do against us right now is switch on the down screen and we can't get our "offense" initiated.

Also, we need to stop over penetrating. Ervin and Weems are both very bad at this in transition or when trying to create offense. Our bigs don't have great hands in the first place so dribbling till we are 3 feet away from them and expecting them to catch a bounce pass in traffic is asking way too much.

dish13-hog

Turnovers are killing us for sure.  Check out this quote from a Texas Tech player I got off the KNWA Razorback Nation site.

"We knew from watching Missouri that if you force pressure on Gary Ervin, he`s bound to turn it over," Burgess said. "That`s what (coach Bobby Knight`s) emphasis was, to keep pressure on Ervin."

So if other teams realize this, why can't we? 
"In the 6 billion year history of this planet there has been ONLY ONE national high school player of the year from the state of Arkansas. Houston Nutt had him and lost him.
Believe it or not."  - Mike Irwin, 1/16/07

"Digger Phelps is a moron." - Me, 3/11/07

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

Problem is, at the same time that you are accurately pointing out what we need to fix, Coach is neglecting that area and focusing on.... DEFENSE!

Brand X Hog Fan

That's how I feel. It is embarrassing and painful to watch the Hogs play when they are challenged. Very cold, hard facts in your initial post, FC. I for one would be less irritated if Stan sat the turnover culprits down and started the walk-ons and we got blown out as long as they hung on to the ball. I agree with you that on paper, our fundamentals look pretty good, except for the TO's. What is the actual margin?
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

Quote from: oldbear on January 14, 2013, 07:56:49 pm
The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

dish13-hog

Quote from: opineonswine on December 19, 2006, 02:24:09 pm
Quote from: dish13-hog on December 19, 2006, 02:21:10 pm
Turnovers are killing us for sure.  Check out this quote from a Texas Tech player I got off the KNWA Razorback Nation site.

"We knew from watching Missouri that if you force pressure on Gary Ervin, he`s bound to turn it over," Burgess said. "That`s what (coach Bobby Knight`s) emphasis was, to keep pressure on Ervin."

Quote from: dish13-hog on December 19, 2006, 02:21:10 pm

We do!  We don't have a solution.

I've got one.  Limit the touches of GE & VH.  In other words, don't tell them what time the game starts.
"In the 6 billion year history of this planet there has been ONLY ONE national high school player of the year from the state of Arkansas. Houston Nutt had him and lost him.

whatsshakinbacon

This is the worst passing team Arkansas team I've ever seen...hands down.  These turnovers aren't just somebody coming up and stripping the ball, they are bad bad passes.

This is a good breakdown fourth.

Bacon out...

Brand X Hog Fan

Quote from: hogfankb on December 19, 2006, 02:15:37 pm

Also, we need to stop over penetrating. Ervin and Weems are both very bad at this in transition or when trying to create offense. Our bigs don't have great hands in the first place so dribbling till we are 3 feet away from them and expecting them to catch a bounce pass in traffic is asking way too much.

Or underpenetrating . . . I have seen Gary pick his dribble up half way to the key more times then I care to remember.
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

Brand X Hog Fan

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on December 19, 2006, 02:29:05 pm
This is the worst passing team Arkansas team I've ever seen...hands down.  These turnovers aren't just somebody coming up and stripping the ball, they are bad bad passes.

Bacon out...

Bacon, you know we have a moratorium on passing at Arkansas! How can you accuse the basketball team of passing? We only pass when it is absolutely, positively a life or death situation ;)

dish13-hog

Quote from: Seahawk4ever on December 19, 2006, 02:32:50 pm
Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on December 19, 2006, 02:29:05 pm

Bacon out...

Bacon, you know we have a moratorium on passing at Arkansas! How can you accuse the basketball team of passing? We only pass when it is absolutely, positively a life or death situation ;)

Passing is overrated.  We need to show off our skillz.  You know, like throwing it to the other team or jacking up a three 5 seconds into the shot clock.

razorbackfan4life

The lack of ball movement is the reason we turn the ball over.  Our offense blows donkey cock.  I've seen junior high teams run better offensive sets than we do.  LEARN HOW TO SET A SCREEN......LEARN HOW TO CUT.......LEARN HOW TO MOVE THE BALL!!!!!  It's not hard.

Brand X Hog Fan

Quote from: razorbackfan4life on December 19, 2006, 02:43:32 pm
The lack of ball movement is the reason we turn the ball over.  Our offense blows donkey cock.  I've seen junior high teams run better offensive sets than we do.  LEARN HOW TO SET A SCREEN......LEARN HOW TO CUT.......LEARN HOW TO MOVE THE BALL!!!!!  It's not hard.

Why don't you just cut through the crap and tell us how you really feel, lol!

fourthcrusade

Quote from: Seahawk4ever on December 19, 2006, 02:26:09 pm
I for one would be less irritated if Stan sat the turnover culprits down and started the walk-ons and we got blown out as long as they hung on to the ball.

yeah, it's tough - if we let the walkons bring it up and lose by 20, that's a problem in itself.  i still think ervin can 'settle down', but it has been 10 games.  if he is still shaky come SEC play, we're in major trouble. 

*MY TURNOVER SOLUTION*
1.Start Ervin as PG
2.If ervin committs 1 bad turnover, just 1, bench him, put in mccurdy
3.If mccurdy committs 1 bad to, bench him, let welsh or bev bring it upcourt, even though they arent the main pg
4.If the freshmen have 1 bad TO, bench them, and let weems try.
5.If weems has 1 bad TO, bench him, and let cranford have a try.
6.When (not if) cranford has 1 bad TO trying to play point, put in each walk on.
7.When you run out of guards, put ervin back in, and say "play smart. you are the leader of this team."
8.Repeat.

wooo

fourthcrusade

Quote from: wooo on December 19, 2006, 03:27:45 pm
WE NEED A F****** COACH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ha, i just saw your comment :)
Nice thoughtful, reasoned rebuttal of my original post.

J/k.  LOL.

jfb_is_god

if townes could handle the least bit unconventional pass inside those numbers might not be as bad.  the entire time he has been here hes shown no abiltity to catch the "damn, how'd he make that pass" passes.  He gets the easy ones, but he lets a bunch just fly right by him.  If hunter and hill would play with half as much energy as thomas then they might actually go strong to the hoop instead of prissin around and losin the ball or makin a dumb pass out to someone who isnt open
The wicked witch is dead!

<br /><br /><br /><br />
Quote from: BigDeal on February 25, 2007, 01:29:54 am<br />
Quote from: HaWg 10 on February 25, 2007, 01:22:15 am<br />what the hell is the heinzelman ?<br />
<br /><br />Your kidding, right ?<br />

Immensehog

LMAO!!!

Rubber meet road.
Life is short.  Act accordingly.

TDHog

This whole thread is bull.  I am one of Ervin's biggest critics but come on.  That site does not show how the % are computed.  I have watched or listened to every game this year.  According to this site Ervin turns the ball over 1 out of every 3 times he touches it (33%), my response to that is BULL $%@.  Example say a team scores 70 points, that means we imbound the ball 35 times (2 pointers only for easy math.  THis does not include miss FGs.  Say for ease of calculations and to be conservative they shoot 50%.  So there are 35 baskets and 35 misses = 70 times the ball is brought up the court.  Lets say McCurdy plays his normal 1/3, so 1/3 or 23 possesions belong to McCurdy.  That leaves  47 possesions for Ervin.  According to this website 33% of the possesions are turnovers So Ervin averages 15.5 turnovers per game and McCurdy (39%)  averages 8.97 to's per game.  Once again I say bull.  Let's put some thought into stats before we blindly believe somehting just because it is on the web!

Bad_Intentions

Exellent stats and I agree. Turnovers have been the biggest problem so far. Unfortunately, I don't see this team ever totally shaking that label. Ervin, McCurdy and Hunter are walking, talking turnovers.

We suck.
WPS!!

razor

Crusade, dude. Nice tease, I guess, but if you're gonna tease us with the "double secret reason we are sucking," then you better come with something other than turnovers. We ALL can see the Hogs are turning it over WAY too much. There is no secret in that. From the title of your thread, I thought you were about to tell us something we didn't already know.

fourthcrusade

Quote from: razor on December 19, 2006, 09:57:26 pm
Crusade, dude. Nice tease, I guess, but if you're gonna tease us with the "double secret reason we are sucking," then you better come with something other than turnovers. We ALL can see the Hogs are turning it over WAY too much. There is no secret in that. From the title of your thread, I thought you were about to tell us something we didn't already know.
:)
sorry, just used the title as a reference to 'animal house' ("double secret probation")

razorbackfan4life

Quote from: Seahawk4ever on December 19, 2006, 02:59:38 pm

Why don't you just cut through the crap and tell us how you really feel, lol!

Do you really want me to?  I dont think they would allow it on here.  So I better not.