Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

McCurdy laughing on the bench

Started by MCPeePants, December 18, 2006, 09:37:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MCPeePants

This may have been discussed earlier but with 5:25 left in the game and the Hogs down 13 points, the TV cameras panned the Arkansas bench and showed McCurdy sharing a hearty laugh with another player (I think it was Michael Robinson). Does this bother anyone else? It sure bothered me.

Also, Weems may be one of the most over-hyped recruits we've had in a long time.

fourthcrusade

Quote from: MCPeePants on December 18, 2006, 09:37:40 am
This may have been discussed earlier but with 5:25 left in the game and the Hogs down 13 points, the TV cameras panned the Arkansas bench and showed McCurdy sharing a hearty laugh with another player (I think it was Michael Robinson). Does this bother anyone else? It sure bothered me.

Is he from Springdale?  He's fair game if he is.

The Lemming

Also, Weems may be one of the most over-hyped recruits we've had in a long time.
No, I think that would be SH.

spudhog

probably laughing about each others hair do's

stratpkr

Sometimes it's better to laugh than to cry. He's just laughing at Razorback bball because everyone else is. Seriously though, seems like a real coach wouldn't let that happen twice. We'll see.

TRAVELHOG

December 18, 2006, 09:41:30 am #5 Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 09:48:25 am by TRAVELHOG

Maybe he's realized the BB team sucks and has accepted it.
Chance favors the prepared mind

batesvegashog

No, it really doesn't bother me any more than when Matt Jones (who, ironically people will remember as one of the best Razorback players ever.....) used to do the same thing.  I probably think McCurdy was laughing at what a "Dork" his coach is compared to The Real coach they were playing against.  Or....maybe something was just funny.  

Vandyhog4

I think he was laughing at the point guard play of Gary Ervin.  Perhaps the air ball?  

hogsNbeer

I remember Matt Jones doing it also........During a game we were getting beat, showed him hamming it up...... I have a big problem with it.....and I dont' care if you are the star player,  shows a lack of respect for the team.... Plus it makes you look stupid...

hogsanity

He was laughing at the fact that someone in d1 actually paid his way to play ball.  Even as bad as Irvin is, McCurdy is worse.  Our best guards, BY FAR, are Beverly and Welsh, and True Fr guards are not going to take you any place.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HawgG

I think McCurdy was laughing at his own game which he doesn't have much of.By the way that same dork beat Bob Knight' Hall of Fame Ass last season partner.

BPPig

I am sure glad I have always believed in history. Historically, all freshmen guards and jucos have up an down first years. Ours seem to have larger swings then I would prefer but I expect that to happen.

I am a little troubled with SH. He had his best game I thought ever against Oakland and then totally went into the tank. It seems one can only hope with our point guards. I do hope they understand that the pressure is only going to get worse.

It sure seems to me that Townes, Thomas , and Beverly show up to play everygame and that gives me great hope. In BB I am just basically a fan. I don't know the scheme part of it enough to say squat about on offense. I am not even sure it matters except to the fan.

I also know maybe not getting JA was a blessing for this team in a perverse way. We might still need a point guard if these games don't get straightened out. GE did stand up and say the right thing. Enough to give me hope. GHG!!

cmakrzrbak

Lack of PLAYER DEVELOPEMENT.  It's plastered all over the walls.
"You've got to give a little love to those who love to live"

Philip Lynott

HUNGLOWHOG

MCCURDY COULD NOT PLAY AT UAFS  -UNIVERISTY OF ARKANSAS AT FORT SMITH

HUNGLOWHOG

HE LOOKS LIKE A DEER IN HEADLIGHTS ON THE FLOOR  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(   , OH BY THE WAY DO ANY OF YALL REMEMBER HOW HE MISSED 2 FREE THROWS AGAINST LSU AT THE END OF THE TO LOSE IT FOR US  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

HUNGLOWHOG

HawgG

Well why has Charles Thomas,Vincent Hunter,Patrick Beverley,and Stefan Welsh all gotten better or are developing at a nice pace in their careers.They all have the same coach as the rest of the guys.Go back and look at the improvements of Gomez and Satchel,Ferguson and Modica.Take a look at Steven Hill(yes him)and he has gotten better since arriving.Coaching and player development isn't the big problem at Arkansas as some of you may think.The loses on the court are a direct result of the loses Heath and his staff suffer in the spring and summer year after year.Guess what they lost another one in James Anderson.Recruiting evaluations and not being able to close on the right ones has slowed the progress of this program.Trust me it was the very thing that cost Nolan Richardson his job.

musiccityhog

Quote from: hogsanity on December 18, 2006, 09:45:51 am
He was laughing at the fact that someone in d1 actually paid his way to play ball.  Even as bad as Irvin is, McCurdy is worse.  Our best guards, BY FAR, are Beverly and Welsh, and True Fr guards are not going to take you any place.
Agree!!!
Your name? Fletch F. Fletch
Your Address? Seven
Your occupation? I'm a Shepherd

bulldog3012

what's really funny is how short people memories are.  I bet if you could look back at postings from last year I bet you would see some of the same folks slamming him now wanting him to get more playing time last year.  People were all over this board talking about how good he was and how it was a shame he wasn't getting more playing time.  I actually remember some idiot comparing him to Steve Nash.  Same thing with Damien, last year he was the greatest WR in the nation to people on this board but now he is transferring....he is not that good...Overrated.  Really funny how peoples opinion and knowledge change year to year and week to week.

razorhead69

I laugh watching that train wreck also.

bigyellowdog

Quote from: HawgG on December 18, 2006, 09:49:33 am
I think McCurdy was laughing at his own game which he doesn't have much of.By the way that same dork beat Bob Knight' Hall of Fame Ass last season partner.

Since when is a 13 point win an A$$ beating?

RealityCheck

StoernerJonesFan

He's laughing at what a joke our bball program is..."No, we really dont want you, Mike Anderson, even though you've gone to the NCAA tourney almost every year since being out of Arkansas"

Oh, and Matt had every right to laugh or joke or even nap during football games.  When you put in as much effort as he did ON the field and contribute the most wins to a team like he did, then as far as I'm concerned he can do whatever he wants on the sideline.

DarkHelmet

olu famutimi, part deux

HoopS

HawgG

bigyellowdog that reply has me at a lost of words.Really I don't how to respond to it.I will say this to everybody,non-conference games are to get you ready for the conference schedule.People I got news for you they are going to lose some more games maybe as many as 10 more.This is long season and they like most teams are going to have their ups and downs.This is a team that can win 19 or 20 games in my opinion and that will be a very successful season.

TRAVELHOG

Quote from: HawgG on December 18, 2006, 11:22:11 am
bigyellowdog that reply has me at a lost of words.Really I don't how to respond to it.I will say this to everybody,non-conference games are to get you ready for the conference schedule.People I got news for you they are going to lose some more games maybe as many as 10 more.This is long season and they like most teams are going to have their ups and downs.This is a team that can win 19 or 20 games in my opinion and that will be a very successful season.

We'll be lucky to finish .500........ not just in conference play, but .500 overall.
Chance favors the prepared mind

HawgG

If we're lucky we will win 25 games.This team will win 19 or 20 unless they have a  key injury.

RazorHawg16

dude i would be laughing too if i was him we suck!

Zen_Hog

When you're losing, and you know you can't come back and win the game, you get relaxed and try to make jokes to block it out I would guess...

hogsrock

He was probably laughing at our over rated point guard.
"It's easy to fix mistakes if the exposed flaws are unusual.  But when these flaws are fundamental weaknesses that haven't been corrected for years the idea that a problem may be too serious to correct is sobering."  Bacon

hogsrock

Quote from: HawgG on December 18, 2006, 10:43:01 am
Well why has Charles Thomas,Vincent Hunter,Patrick Beverley,and Stefan Welsh all gotten better or are developing at a nice pace in their careers.They all have the same coach as the rest of the guys.Go back and look at the improvements of Gomez and Satchel,Ferguson and Modica.Take a look at Steven Hill(yes him)and he has gotten better since arriving.Coaching and player development isn't the big problem at Arkansas as some of you may think.The loses on the court are a direct result of the loses Heath and his staff suffer in the spring and summer year after year.Guess what they lost another one in James Anderson.Recruiting evaluations and not being able to close on the right ones has slowed the progress of this program.Trust me it was the very thing that cost Nolan Richardson his job.

Steven Hill had zero shot attempts and zero rebounds in 17 minutes Saturday.
"It's easy to fix mistakes if the exposed flaws are unusual.  But when these flaws are fundamental weaknesses that haven't been corrected for years the idea that a problem may be too serious to correct is sobering."  Bacon

bigyellowdog

Quote from: HawgG on December 18, 2006, 11:22:11 am

I'm not trying to flame.  My response was to the comment about kicking Bob Knight's fall of fame ass.  Which was ridiculous.  The fact was last year's game was a 13 point win for the Hogs.  They had a 3 point lead at the half.  That is far from an ass kicking. 

Nashville Fan

Maybe he was laughing because he realizes that it is just a game. A game that after the first 5 minutes AR was never in. Maybe the numbness had worn off by the end of the game.
Pittman or Bust!

razor rob

There was nothing funny about the whoopin' Texas Tech gave us, and McCurdy should be reminded of that in the harshest of terms.
Something's wrong with Weems. He's not the same player who tore up the JC leagues the last couple of years. I know it's a step up, but I promise you, the guy has game. What happened to it?

hOUSTon NUTT

Who the frick is Michael Robinson?  It must be funny having some stranger come sit on the bench.

WILL CLINTON

Steven Hill is another RoJo.  All we ever hear is how he is tearing it up on offense during practice or pick up games, but when the lights come on, he forgets everything.  That guy is NO better than he was when he got here.  He still turns his back on the offensive player, hasno offensive skills to speak of, and without his shot blocking skills, wouldn't be on any D-1 team anywhere gaining meaningful minutes. 

I'm sorry guys, but this team in horrible. The coaching is horrible, the offense is horrible, and the defense is horrible.  I GUARANTEE I could gather 7 or 8 guys off one of the Camden City league teams, and SMOKE the Razorbacks. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

chillinhoggie

Quote from: razor rob on December 18, 2006, 01:13:18 pm
There was nothing funny about the whoopin' Texas Tech gave us, and McCurdy should be reminded of that in the harshest of terms.
Something's wrong with Weems. He's not the same player who tore up the JC leagues the last couple of years. I know it's a step up, but I promise you, the guy has game. What happened to it?
His game has been "Stanned".

MCPeePants

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on December 18, 2006, 11:54:50 am

What's wrong with Weems?  Good grief.  I guess you didn't realize we signed Dontell Jefferson.  That would be over-hyped.  Weems has played 10 games and is starting.  Dontell couldn't even get the ball up the court.  You need to get some perspective.

The difference is that Jefferson was nowhere near as heavily hyped as Weems was.

Given the hype, I expected Weems to be averaging about 15 ppg and 6.5 rpg through this point in the season wherein we've faced primarily weak competition. Instead, it's been 10 and 4. So, while he hasn't been terrible or an all out bust or anything, I think it's at least fair to say that he's been disappointing. From my perspective anyway. He's going to need to be quite a bit better once SEC play rolls around. 

RazorHawg16

we will be lucky to win 18 games this season

Tusker-N-Hooch

Quote from: dubyacee on December 18, 2006, 01:21:14 pm
Steven Hill is another RoJo.  All we ever hear is how he is tearing it up on offense during practice or pick up games, but when the lights come on, he forgets everything.  That guy is NO better than he was when he got here.  He still turns his back on the offensive player, hasno offensive skills to speak of, and without his shot blocking skills, wouldn't be on any D-1 team anywhere gaining meaningful minutes. 

I'm sorry guys, but this team in horrible. The coaching is horrible, the offense is horrible, and the defense is horrible.  I GUARANTEE I could gather 7 or 8 guys off one of the Camden City league teams, and SMOKE the Razorbacks. 

I've gotta agree on the stephen hil thing. when you block it, go get it and score. he waits for teammates to get the rock. it is just a travesty watching this half-court offensive jaugernaut. my wife even said "what happened to forty minutes of hell?" unblievable.

spudhog

Quote from: Squishy on December 18, 2006, 02:08:48 pm
Some of you guys are pathetic. Those of you who act like a player can't laugh with a friend, especially if you didn't even play that much, have never played competitive athletics.

Secondly, McCurdy is a great talent. Those of you who say he can't play at this level will eat your words sooner than later.

The guys who say Hill is like ROJO and Weems is a flop are crazy as well. I don't even feel like going into all this right now.

Some of you just need to give these guy a chance. They have lost two games to teams who have shot LIGHTS OUT. You can't judge a team by a loss when the other team is that hot. I am not saying we should just sit back and let Heath have a bunch of chances.

If Heath doesn't get it done this season, IMO action will be taken.
gonna have to question your opinion on mccurdy. apparantly we are watching 2 different games. every game mccurdy has been in he has let someone hit about 2-4 3ptrs on him.  if he is not doing this, he is turning the ball over and missing j's.

spudhog

Quote from: Squishy on December 18, 2006, 02:17:50 pm
Quote from: spudhog on December 18, 2006, 02:14:40 pm
Some of you guys are pathetic. Those of you who act like a player can't laugh with a friend, especially if you didn't even play that much, have never played competitive athletics.

Secondly, McCurdy is a great talent. Those of you who say he can't play at this level will eat your words sooner than later.

The guys who say Hill is like ROJO and Weems is a flop are crazy as well. I don't even feel like going into all this right now.

Some of you just need to give these guy a chance. They have lost two games to teams who have shot LIGHTS OUT. You can't judge a team by a loss when the other team is that hot. I am not saying we should just sit back and let Heath have a bunch of chances.

gonna have to question your opinion on mccurdy. apparantly we are watching 2 different games. every game mccurdy has been in he has let someone hit about 2-4 3ptrs on him.  if he is not doing this, he is turning the ball over and missing j's.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I didn't say he has been playing well, I said he is a great talent and some of you may be surprised that you gave up on him.

We'll see.
i agree about having an opinion. i apologize if i offended you, i have just never heard anyone speak so highly of mccurdy that way. i hope i am wrong on him. i think he plays with lots of heart and passion but i am just not seeing him as an sec point guard.  once again, just my opinion.

TRUHOG718

I agree with most of what you said but Hill has ran his course IMO. How many chances can you give a guy to suck. For that we should let Washington take his lumps and look forward to the upside down the road. Hill is Jason Jennings with the ability to swat shots that take himself out of position to grab a rebound. GAme over.

In response to the original thread... I actually have grown to like McCurdy. Although he may never be a great razorback guard he has gotten more comfortable out there and has given us solid minutes this year. I too agree we have not seen the half of what he is capable of and as he grows we will be glad he was recruited. He ran the best team in Jersey and I believe they were undefeated his junior year so he has got some skills and he can hit the 3.

As far as him laughing on the bench, I personally dont think it looks good but I have done it before so I cant hold that against him, the cameras are rolling and he got caught not frowning because his team was losing. ish happens. It happens all the time but the camera got a lucky shot in this case. Was him frowning going to make Ervin stop dribbling the ball in the paint and jumping with noone to pass the ball to, or make Hill actually jump for a rebound, probably not. Would a frown on his face make Hunter wipe the butter off his hands or our entire team run the motion offense with some speed and toughness, doubt it. We have bigger problems to deal with than that ya see. WPS
http://www.sicollection.com/assets/images/nolan_richardson_300.jpg

One Day. We Will Be Back. I Promise You This.

WILL CLINTON

December 18, 2006, 03:25:13 pm #44 Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 03:27:30 pm by dubyacee

Please when you get a chance, go into why Hill is a better player now that he was when he got here. 

Just wondering, do you think the reason both of those teams (the two best on our schedule so far) shot that well was because of our lack of defense??  Do you think it may have something to do with the players not playing well??  Just a thought. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

MCPeePants

I've played competitive sports. You are way off base with this. Laughing away on the bench while the rest of your team is getting blown out is a huge no-no on any team I've ever been on. 

sportscrazy

I am not sure about the McCurdy incident but Sonny Weems can play.  Were just not using him in a way that will make him successful.  Our offense is so crowded that Weems can not do what he does best and that is get the ball to the rim.  When you have 5 or more people in the lane when you have the ball then you can't get the ball to the rim.  We need to spread the offense more to give him and others on the team more room to manuever and that is coaching.

razor rob

Missouri harrassed us into a bad game. Texas Tech threw up some real crap that kept going in, even when we were in decent defensive position. Ten minutes in, if we could have stopped the game and started it over at 0-0, it might have been different. But I doubt Bobby Knight would have gone for that anyway.

spudhog

Quote from: razor rob on December 18, 2006, 04:58:14 pm
Missouri harrassed us into a bad game. Texas Tech threw up some real crap that kept going in, even when we were in decent defensive position. Ten minutes in, if we could have stopped the game and started it over at 0-0, it might have been different. But I doubt Bobby Knight would have gone for that anyway.
fourthcrusade?

weevilhogg

Oh my!