Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ranking the SEC running backs on ESPN

Started by 870hogfan, June 10, 2014, 02:50:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

870hogfan

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=collegesalabama&id=21112&src=desktop&rand=ref~%7B%22ref%22%3A%22http%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2Fdn588aCZOt%22%7D

Arkansas came in at 4.

Fayettechill14

yraciv

I think all SC has is Davis, so they don't deserve to be ahead of us. But agreed on UGA and Bama, and the individual rankings are pretty spot on.

870hogfan

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on June 10, 2014, 03:00:27 pm
For individuals, Collins was 5 and Williams 7. Hard to argue.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/84068/ranking-the-sec-running-backs-4

I don't agree with putting Henry at number 3. What has he done to be put there?

yraciv

Quote from: 870hogfan on June 10, 2014, 03:14:31 pm

I don't agree with putting Henry at number 3. What has he done to be put there?

Have you seen him run?  He averaged almost 11 yards a carry and just runs over people.  I know he didn't get that many touches last year, but combine that with the hype of having the national high school record for rushing yards, and I'll say it's justified.

870hogfan

Quote from: yraciv on June 10, 2014, 03:17:11 pm
Have you seen him run?  He averaged almost 11 yards a carry and just runs over people.  I know he didn't get that many touches last year, but combine that with the hype of having the national high school record for rushing yards, and I'll say it's justified.

In time I say it is justified just not this year. I think he is going to be good but let him prove it first.

Fayettechill14

Quote from: yraciv on June 10, 2014, 03:17:11 pm

True, but by that logic an argument could be made for Korliss Marshall, who averaged 7.5 yards per carry last year. Henry belongs on that list, but I'm not sure about putting him ahead of guys like Collins and Mike Davis.

yraciv

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on June 10, 2014, 03:28:00 pm
True, but by that logic an argument could be made for Korliss Marshall, who averaged 7.5 yards per carry last year. Henry belongs on that list, but I'm not sure about putting him ahead of guys like Collins and Mike Davis.

I was thinking I'd have Korliss Marshall on my list as well, probably right behind Collins, but there is definitely some projecting based off recruiting rankings and system going on with this list.  Clearly why Fournette is up there, and Artis Payne as well.  Artis Payne did most of his work in nonconference last year and was invisible the last month.

Hoggish1

masshog2412

WizardofhOgZ

I'm a big fan of Alex C.  But I get amused when our fans overwhelmingly answer his name when asked who our best back is.  The REAL answer is that it's not so easy to say.  They both are really, really good.  They are not the exactly same back, but their similarities are much greater than their differences.  As is their productivity and ability.

So, why does almost everyone (with the notable exception of our coaches, I might add) automatically say "Alex" when this question is asked?  Because of the recruiting hype around him, the fact that he comes in as a highly recruited "Florida" kid, and the drama around his signing day.  It's like why the LSU punter from Australia (Brad Wing) was a pre-season All-America a couple of years ago - because he was a pretty good punter (but several, including our own Dylan Breeding, had better averages), on a very good team (LSU) that got tremendous TV exposure, he was from Australia, and he taunted a team on a fake punt and the play got a lot of TV exposure.  NOT because he was the best punter.

Alex is a great player and seems to be an even better ambassador for our program.  I wish him well and I love to watch him run.  But I'm not yet convinced that he's any better than J Will, who - by the way - DOES have a few long TD runs, which young Alex has yet to produce.

Glad we got 'em both, to be honest. 

bennyl08

Arkansas' group backfield should definitely be ranked ahead of SC. As for the individual rankings, do they not realize that Williams is faster than Collins? I mean, if you were to read the descriptions of the individual backs and watch the tape w/o knowing who was who, you would switch them up.

Henry should not be ranked #3 though, and Carson at 6 is a stretch for sure. I get that they are going off of projected potential, but Henry is still going to be the second string back, at best 1b behind Yeldon. Now, Bama will be leaning more of the run game with the departure of AJ, there is that. However, I don't see both backs being more productive than all but Gurley next season.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

sickboy

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on June 10, 2014, 03:00:27 pm
For individuals, Collins was 5 and Williams 7. Hard to argue.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/84068/ranking-the-sec-running-backs-4

Say what? They have a true freshman who hasn't even reported to campus as the eighth best running back in the league?

Fayettechill14

Here's the list by total number of rushing yards a year ago:

1. Todd Gurley, UGA     989
2. TJ Yeldon, BAMA      1235
3. Derrick Henry, BAMA 382
4. Mike Davis, USC      1183
5. Alex Collins, ARK     1026
6. Tra Carson, A&M       329
7. J. Williams, ARK       900
8. L. Fournette, LSU       0
9. C. Artis-Payne, AUB  610
10. Kelvin Taylor, FLA   508

The curious selections are italicized. Carson rushed for less than half of J-Will's yards and averaged fewer yards per carry.

SixtySecondsOfPitino

I wouldn't get too worked up over it. They prefaced it with this:

Now it's time to check out who we think will be the 10 best running backs in the league this fall when it comes to production and team value.

It's not necessarily based upon last year's stats, and 'team value' can change the rankings quite a bit.

NWAVolFan

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on June 11, 2014, 03:55:46 am
Here's the list by total number of rushing yards a year ago:

1. Todd Gurley, UGA     989
2. TJ Yeldon, BAMA      1235
3. Derrick Henry, BAMA 382
4. Mike Davis, USC      1183
5. Alex Collins, ARK     1026
6. Tra Carson, A&M       329
7. J. Williams, ARK       900
8. L. Fournette, LSU       0
9. C. Artis-Payne, AUB  610
10. Kelvin Taylor, FLA   508

The curious selections are italicized. Carson rushed for less than half of J-Will's yards and averaged fewer yards per carry.

Edward Aschoff has never played the sport in his life, probably never played any sport. It's like having the band leader rank the running backs and people being surprised that he makes some stupid picks. On top of that, the band leader would probably have better choices because his name isn't Edward Aschoff.

Fayettechill14

Quote from: walkingtalkingenigma on June 11, 2014, 05:42:47 am
I wouldn't get too worked up over it. They prefaced it with this:

Now it's time to check out who we think will be the 10 best running backs in the league this fall when it comes to production and team value.

It's not necessarily based upon last year's stats, and 'team value' can change the rankings quite a bit.

That may explain Carson and Fournette, but it turns on its head when you apply it to Henry, who was third string last year and the two guys ahead of him--Yeldon and Drake--are back. Henry's "value" to his team is minimal...the only possible explanation for him being that high is that he is a raw, talented freak of nature.

Oh well, I don't think many on this board need convincing that Aschoff's not exactly brilliant when it comes to these lists.

yraciv

Quote from: NWAVolFan on June 11, 2014, 11:28:24 am
Edward Aschoff has never played the sport in his life, probably never played any sport. It's like having the band leader rank the running backs and people being surprised that he makes some stupid picks. On top of that, the band leader would probably have better choices because his name isn't Edward Aschoff.

I hate these type of ignorant comments.  Just because someone has never played football, doesn't mean they are oblivious to the game and can't have an opinion on.  Edward Aschoff's job is to watch SEC sports. Even if he hasn't played a down in his life; I'm sure he has talked with enough SEC coaches, watched enough games, & looked at enough video to have an opinion.  I may not agree with his entire list, but for the most part based on perceived impact this season, it's pretty spot on.

NWAVolFan

Quote from: yraciv on June 11, 2014, 12:33:30 pm
I hate these type of ignorant comments.  Just because someone has never played football, doesn't mean they are oblivious to the game and can't have an opinion on.  Edward Aschoff's job is to watch SEC sports. Even if he hasn't played a down in his life; I'm sure he has talked with enough SEC coaches, watched enough games, & looked at enough video to have an opinion.  I may not agree with his entire list, but for the most part based on perceived impact this season, it's pretty spot on.

You obviously don't read his blog very much if you think he watches film and is knowledgeable about football.

And I was pretty clear that even non sports people can be intelligent about sports with the band leader analogy. Edward Aschoff just isn't one of those people.

yraciv

Quote from: NWAVolFan on June 11, 2014, 12:43:48 pm
You obviously don't read his blog very much if you think he watches film and is knowledgeable about football.

And I was pretty clear that even non sports people can be intelligent about sports with the band leader analogy. Edward Aschoff just isn't one of those people.

My mistake! I wasn't aware it was that easy to become an ESPN sports blogger.  I'll admit he isn't my favorite blogger of theirs and I often disagree with him, but it's not like he spews out garbage and false comments. He understands things that casual observer's don't like formations, he is professional in his interviews and prepared,  and he has been watching SEC football for a long time so he understands the history.  I'm going to assume you just think he has a FL bias and hates the Vols, which I have not seen.  Although, I am very familiar with that thought process.