Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Obscure Fact for Those Who Love HOG Gear on Cars

Started by razoredge178, December 14, 2017, 01:59:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ballz2thewall

The rest of the frog.

BroyledNutts

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on December 14, 2017, 02:44:52 pm
So, I guess this opens a loophole for some enterprising individual since UA doesn't own the left-facing hog?

Walmart has shelves of left facing Hog merchandise ...

Inhogswetrust

December 14, 2017, 04:17:11 pm #52 Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 05:20:40 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: razoredge178 on December 14, 2017, 02:16:52 pm
Branding 101 says a logo or brand should be the same/consistent. In principle what they did makes sense.

The question that was asked was, why not license both? Apparently this question doesn't bring a good answer, so its about this time that Mike Harris tells ya to go pound sand.

No it doesn't since most people put a set on each side of the car.  Besides IF that were true then why does the Hog logo on the players helmet both face the front of the helmet. Also then WHY do a front facing hog also. A LOT of logos' change consistently over the years as well.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

factchecker

Quote from: 3of5-2 on December 14, 2017, 04:13:14 pm
Wow! You are stellar in your rationalization of things. I'm sure you probably have a vested interest in some of these areas, so I get it.

Take off your tinfoil hat.  Just because somebody disagrees with you doesn't mean they have a "vested interest".

Unless by "vested interest" you mean they actually care about the Razorbacks and want to support them financially instead of being selfish and wanting things as cheap as possible.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

LZH

ricepig

Quote from: 3of5-2 on December 14, 2017, 04:13:14 pm
Wow! You are stellar in your rationalization of things. I'm sure you probably have a vested interest in some of these areas, so I get it.

My only interest is that it takes money to run a program, and we are in the bottom half of the conference in ticket costs. As far as concession prices/revenue, the latest athletic budget shows revenue of about $1.2m from concessions from all sports, I don't think they are gouging an inordinate amount.

3of5-2

Quote from: factchecker on December 14, 2017, 04:17:25 pm
Take off your tinfoil hat.  Just because somebody disagrees with you doesn't mean they have a "vested interest".

Unless by "vested interest" you mean they actually care about the Razorbacks and want to support them financially instead of being selfish and wanting things as cheap as possible.
Cute, but you know exactly what I mean.

3of5-2

Quote from: ricepig on December 14, 2017, 04:21:08 pm
My only interest is that it takes money to run a program, and we are in the bottom half of the conference in ticket costs. As far as concession prices/revenue, the latest athletic budget shows revenue of about $1.2m from concessions from all sports, I don't think they are gouging an inordinate amount.
Ha! That's laughable.

3of5-2

I bet they would double that if they carried products from both Pepsi and Coke.

razoredge178

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 14, 2017, 04:15:07 pm
Lost one of my maggots that faced different directions about five years ago. I replaced the set and they were not the same facing. Unless that is before this edict went out then it's false.

You can see above where the licensing guy confirmed this as accurate

outlawhogeywells

Quote from: ricepig on December 14, 2017, 03:58:41 pm
Tickets sold and fill the stadium for every game aren't the same thing. Upper deck season tickets were $250 I believe last year, cheap enough. They lowered concession prices in 2016?? I believe, but some will bitch anyway.
plus we have the lowest ticket prices in the SEC.  as well as tickets for other schools.

Hog-Corleone

Quote from: ncrebel on December 14, 2017, 03:43:34 pm
I must have bought my Razorback car magnets before this took effect.  I have had both right and left facing hog magnets for at least 5 years.  Got them either at Wal-Mart or a shop in Eureka Springs.  I only use them on game day and store them on a refrigerator in the garage the rest of the time. 

I second this, but I do know i bought mine 2 years ago at Big Red's on MLK...
This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation.

Craig O Squeal

Ya know...if you all just bought the front-facing Hog magnet this wouldn't be an issue. Front-facing Hog always faces one direction. *ducks to avoid thrown object*

Birminghog

Quote from: factchecker on December 14, 2017, 04:01:58 pm
Good luck getting Pepsi and Coca-Cola to coexist on the same campus.  Most vendors have it stated in the contract that you can only carry their product. I think it would be easier for our fans to try and not be whiny [CENSORED] about soda.

This is also true for a lot of high schools. With them, whoever has the soda contract agrees to provide the scoreboard. No other products but theirs can be sold in the stadium.

ricepig

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: buldozer on December 14, 2017, 03:49:07 pm
Exactly right. The problem the university has is that the fans are the customers, not the athletic or other staff ... And once they figure this out again they will be getting back on the right track. Its not just about coke or pepsi its the fact the fans have not been treated as the customer as of late. This just happens to be a perfect example.... Some fans are pissed about the drinks, some about the unis, some about the logo, and on and on. Put it all together you end up with a new AD. Now lets see if they have learned anything, this guy has a chance to prove himself.

Fans are customers to the athletic department,  but not to the University as a whole.

Depending on how you look at it,  the students are the customers or the companies hiring their graduates are the customers.

ricepig

Quote from: 3of5-2 on December 14, 2017, 04:24:57 pm

It's the $20m that Pepsi is giving to place their products that is the money maker, Coke offered 1/2 of that.

3of5-2

Quote from: ricepig on December 14, 2017, 04:52:16 pm
It's the $20m that Pepsi is giving to place their products that is the money maker, Coke offered 1/2 of that.
Thanks for proving my point. It gets passed on to the customer.

LZH

Quote from: Craig O Squeal on December 14, 2017, 04:35:01 pm
Ya know...if you all just bought the front-facing Hog magnet this wouldn't be an issue. Front-facing Hog always faces one direction. *ducks to avoid thrown object*

I understand the north ear is a little taller than the south ear......

Craig O Squeal

Quote from: LZH on December 14, 2017, 05:03:08 pm
I understand the north ear is a little taller than the south ear......
Only because Long couldn't sell all of the seats in the south ear.

HogPharmer

Quote from: 3of5-2 on December 14, 2017, 05:00:58 pm

Pepsi isn't just giving the school $20M because they like the UofA. They expect to make that money back. That's how business works.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

ricepig

Quote from: 3of5-2 on December 14, 2017, 05:00:58 pm

Cokes cost more in the stadium 2011 than Pepsi cost in 2017, lol.

3of5-2

Coke outsells Pepsi 10 to 1. It's still a rip off, and Pepsi lost their butt on that deal.

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on December 14, 2017, 05:13:58 pm
Cokes cost more in the stadium 2011 than Pepsi cost in 2017, lol.

Supply and demand? Maybe Coke sold like crazy back then - but they couldn't give Pepsi's away after the switch.

Fwiw I like Pepsi better....not a whiskey drinker.

Inhogswetrust

December 14, 2017, 05:22:30 pm #75 Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 05:40:18 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: razoredge178 on December 14, 2017, 04:26:51 pm
You can see above where the licensing guy confirmed this as accurate

Then ask them WHY they sell DIFFERENT facing hogs in other things besides magnets and one post #55 with links proving some facing both directions. Fatchecker does indeed check for facts! Jeff is gone and things will change.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: DeltaBoy on December 14, 2017, 02:06:57 pm
Glad Jeff the Carpet Bagger Long is GONE!!!

4th post of the thread, Delta. You are slipping! I need you to post Jeff Carpet Bagger Long 500 times in the trash forum as punishment for your lackluster efforts. Shouldn't take you too long. Additionally, I think there's a great possibility that your family name traces back to a lush history of carpet baggers.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

ricepig

Quote from: 3of5-2 on December 14, 2017, 05:17:14 pm
Coke outsells Pepsi 10 to 1. It's still a rip off, and Pepsi lost their butt on that deal.
"But truth be told, Coca-Cola has won the cola war. Coke controls 42% of the total carbonated soft drink market, compared with Pepsi's 30%, according to Beverage Digest. "

http://m.nasdaq.com/article/coke-vs-pepsi-by-the-numbers-cm337909

I only drink Diet Coke, so I would greatly appreciate the return to Coke products, but Pepsi won the contract. Your ignorance of the facts just keeps on going.

elksnort

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on December 14, 2017, 05:29:29 pm
4th post of the thread, Delta. You are slipping! I need you to post Jeff Carpet Bagger Long 500 times in the trash forum as punishment for your lackluster efforts. Shouldn't take you too long. Additionally, I think there's a great possibility that your family name traces back to a lush history of carpet baggers.
How many of these dumb ***** have ever bothered to look up the meaning of carpet bagger?

elksnort

Quote from: ricepig on December 14, 2017, 05:35:31 pm
"But truth be told, Coca-Cola has won the cola war. Coke controls 42% of the total carbonated soft drink market, compared with Pepsi's 30%, according to Beverage Digest. "

I only drink Diet Coke, so I would greatly appreciate the return to Coke products, but Pepsi won the contract. Your ignorance of the facts just keeps on going.

Diet Coke? Diet anything is horrible. Come on Rice, drink the real stuff.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: elksnort on December 14, 2017, 05:37:42 pm
How many of these dumb ***** have ever bothered to look up the meaning of carpet bagger?

Or when in history it was used and by whom...............the losers.

moses_007

I have a set on my fridge that face both directions.

HogPharmer

Quote from: elksnort on December 14, 2017, 05:37:42 pm

I can tell you one that hasn't.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

3of5-2

Quote from: ricepig on December 14, 2017, 05:35:31 pm

Like I said, I get your biased angle. Pepsi may have won the contract, but they didn't win. They probably have lost more with the bad publicity they have received just by the posters on HV.

a0ashle

Quote from: 3of5-2 on December 14, 2017, 05:52:31 pm
Like I said, I get your biased angle. Pepsi may have won the contract, but they didn't win. They probably have lost more with the bad publicity they have received just by the posters on HV.

The hogville effect, Pepsi's board has discussed at great length how to overcome it.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: a0ashle on December 14, 2017, 05:54:32 pm
The hogville effect, Pepsi's board has discussed at great length how to overcome it.

Haha! Last time I checked Pepsi is a little bit bigger than Hogville. But it's gaining on them!

3of5-2

Quote from: a0ashle on December 14, 2017, 05:54:32 pm
I have discussed the deal with reps from both Pepsi and Coke at length. They all agree, Pepsi made a bad decision. They were hoping for a better product on the field to help sell their product on campus. Obviously that didn't happen.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: 3of5-2 on December 14, 2017, 05:58:52 pm
I have discussed the deal with reps from both Pepsi and Coke at length. They all agree, Pepsi made a bad decision. They were hoping for a better product on the field to help sell their product on campus. Obviously that didn't happen.

Except the deal is NOT for only  the football stadium. And even if it were they and nobody else has any way to know how ANY single season will go.

3of5-2

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 14, 2017, 06:05:24 pm
Except the deal is NOT for only  the football stadium. And even if it were they and nobody else has any way to know how ANY single season will go.
It was an "uncommon" choice and they had to live with it.

factchecker

"Canz yoos believs that dose dam carpurt baggurds in Magnolias switched to that yankee waters too.  Dam medicotry accept loosers."

http://www.magnoliareporter.com/education/colleges_universities/article_c9dae414-a0b1-11e1-ac25-001a4bcf887a.html

Heck.  little rock made the switch a while back:

http://thecabin.net/stories/121702/sta_1217020046.shtml#.WjMUwN9KuUk
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: factchecker on December 14, 2017, 06:19:35 pm
"Canz yoos believs that dose dam carpurt baggurds in Magnolias switched to that yankee waters too.  Dam medicotry accept loosers."

http://www.magnoliareporter.com/education/colleges_universities/article_c9dae414-a0b1-11e1-ac25-001a4bcf887a.html

Heck.  little rock made the switch a while back:

http://thecabin.net/stories/121702/sta_1217020046.shtml#.WjMUwN9KuUk

And the funny thing is a lot of people don't know exactly where Pepsi originated from. It was North Carolina. Not exactly yankee waters.

FiveIronFrenzy

Quote from: razoredge178 on December 14, 2017, 02:16:52 pm
Branding 101 says a logo or brand should be the same/consistent. In principle what they did makes sense.

The question that was asked was, why not license both? Apparently this question doesn't bring a good answer, so its about this time that Mike Harris tells ya to go pound sand.

Bingo.  I work as a Brand Strategist.  Consistency of font, color, logo, style and tone are all done to help elevate the brand.  Same reason why you don't see slobbering Hog on the court anymore.

snoblind

HogPharmer

PorkSoda

Quote from: FiveIronFrenzy on December 14, 2017, 06:41:46 pm

Bingo.  I work as a Brand Strategist.  Consistency of font, color, logo, style and tone are all done to help elevate the brand.  Same reason why you don't see slobbering Hog on the court anymore.
isnt the point to attract fans?  seems like being disconnected from the fans would hurt a brand more than help.  last I checked people that truly excel, do so by moving past the text book and blazing a new trail.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

snoblind

FiveIronFrenzy

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 14, 2017, 07:03:30 pm
isnt the point to attract fans?  seems like being disconnected from the fans would hurt a brand more than help.  last I checked people that truly excel, do so by moving past the text book and blazing a new trail.

There are standards for gauging a brand's strength and value, one of which is called a net promoter score. This shows favorability toward a brand.  The NPS can be elevated naturally by getting a hold on some of the things i mentioned above.  So in essence...it may not make "fans" but it does change perception.

While I disagree with the "only right" facing Hog, especially since we violate that rule in the most visible place (left side of helmet), I do understand why it's being done.

PorkSoda

Quote from: FiveIronFrenzy on December 14, 2017, 09:10:28 pm
There are standards for gauging a brand's strength and value, one of which is called a net promoter score. This shows favorability toward a brand.  The NPS can be elevated naturally by getting a hold on some of the things i mentioned above.  So in essence...it may not make "fans" but it does change perception.

While I disagree with the "only right" facing Hog, especially since we violate that rule in the most visible place (left side of helmet), I do understand why it's being done.

just seems like short sighted thinking.  it substitutes practical functionality for strict adherence to text book rules of thumb.

IOW, its lazy thinking

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

East Clintwood

Quote from: 3of5-2 on December 14, 2017, 04:24:57 pm

Well, I for one would pay more than double for a Coke vrs a Pepsi.

But that's because I won't buy a Pepsi at all.  Nasty crap.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

HoggyCat

I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.