Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The CMA Situation - from a CMA supporter

Started by hogwood, January 11, 2017, 02:53:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogwood

I've been a big CMA supporter in the past although I've never hesitated to criticize him or the program when deserved. I grew up around Nolan's program and knew Mike and his family personally. Throughout my childhood there was never anyone I respected more than my dad, but Nolan and Mike were right up there. I respected Mike because he was such an honest teacher and a down-to-earth guy. His wise and modest attitude influenced me greatly. I think Mike is an excellent guy and a good role model for anyone, and I have been in full support of him as head coach up until now.

I will be behind this team until the season ends and I am most definitely wishing Mike the best, and if we make the tournament I will support him for another year. But with the outlook of the season dimming as it is I can no longer rationally be behind him 100%. If we do not make the tournament there will be no defense for Mike and we will need to move on. Bottom line is that 1/6 years is not good enough, and even though we have talent lined up, he has not proven that he can win here. This is coming from someone who really believes in the stability to a program that a tenured coach can bring. I have believed that CMA is the man to bring this program out of the hole, because I know how much he loves the Hogs and this program. But more and more it just seems he will be stuck giving us mediocre products, and there is no hope that there will be changes in style, coaching, etc. The only hope I can find recently is that of promoting Scotty to AC and the better recruiting - but then again there is no proof that this will improve on-court performance.

People today have been naming coaches that honestly I would be excited about, and sadly more excited about than having CMA at this point - such as Pitino, Wade, Hoiberg, etc. Who knows if they would even be options but the point is that my support is waning and another coach is seeming like a more enticing and logical idea than ever. Losing at home to MSST in year 6 is absolutely unacceptable and the in-game performance was horrible. I just don't have faith anymore - though I still have hope, for CMA.

All this said I still have hope for this team as well, though I am not that invested after last night. I think this is a talented squad. They could potentially win the next 5 in a row, or lose 3 out of 5. I hope the staff feels the fire burning their ankles because the seat is lighting up. If there is no tourney at the end of this season then I can no longer support CMA, and if I'm saying that then I'm sure at least 90% of the fans feel the same way.

linkshog

he does have a lot of talent lined up over the next 2-3 years but nothing he's done shows me he will do anything different with it than what we have now!  I'm of very similar feelings as you toward MA.  That game last night is all to often becoming the norm with his teams and its unacceptable at this point of his tenure here.  If they don't make the tourney this year i think its time to head in another direction.  Sure we may lose some players but what good is having them if you aren't going to do anything with them!!
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

- Ronald Reagan -

Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.

- Ronald Reagan -

Little Lady Back

Quote from: hogwood on January 11, 2017, 02:53:43 pm
I've been a big CMA supporter in the past although I've never hesitated to criticize him or the program when deserved. I grew up around Nolan's program and knew Mike and his family personally. Throughout my childhood there was never anyone I respected more than my dad, but Nolan and Mike were right up there. I respected Mike because he was such an honest teacher and a down-to-earth guy. His wise and modest attitude influenced me greatly. I think Mike is an excellent guy and a good role model for anyone, and I have been in full support of him as head coach up until now.

I will be behind this team until the season ends and I am most definitely wishing Mike the best, and if we make the tournament I will support him for another year. But with the outlook of the season dimming as it is I can no longer rationally be behind him 100%. If we do not make the tournament there will be no defense for Mike and we will need to move on. Bottom line is that 1/6 years is not good enough, and even though we have talent lined up, he has not proven that he can win here. This is coming from someone who really believes in the stability to a program that a tenured coach can bring. I have believed that CMA is the man to bring this program out of the hole, because I know how much he loves the Hogs and this program. But more and more it just seems he will be stuck giving us mediocre products, and there is no hope that there will be changes in style, coaching, etc. The only hope I can find recently is that of promoting Scotty to AC and the better recruiting - but then again there is no proof that this will improve on-court performance.

People today have been naming coaches that honestly I would be excited about, and sadly more excited about than having CMA at this point - such as Pitino, Wade, Hoiberg, etc. Who knows if they would even be options but the point is that my support is waning and another coach is seeming like a more enticing and logical idea than ever. Losing at home to MSST in year 6 is absolutely unacceptable and the in-game performance was horrible. I just don't have faith anymore - though I still have hope, for CMA.

All this said I still have hope for this team as well, though I am not that invested after last night. I think this is a talented squad. They could potentially win the next 5 in a row, or lose 3 out of 5. I hope the staff feels the fire burning their ankles because the seat is lighting up. If there is no tourney at the end of this season then I can no longer support CMA, and if I'm saying that then I'm sure at least 90% of the fans feel the same way.

I appreciate your honest and thoughtful post. I just hope that CMA and the team finish the season strong and make it to the NCAA tourney. 
#NolanRichardsonCourt

Letsroll1200

Quote from: hogwood on January 11, 2017, 02:53:43 pm

What exactly has Pitino done that make you so excited?

SONofHAM

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 11, 2017, 03:38:28 pm
you picked that little nugget out of his post?
"like a wild band of Razorback hogs"

jbigs77

As bad as I hate it, I have to agree with your statements on CMA. I am not a basketball expert. But, what I saw last night was 2 of our guys trapping on 1 of their guys, and then he would throw the ball to another guy on the other end of the court. Then a screen would be set for the ball handler, and there would be 2 wide open guys on the other team, usually 1 under the basket and another in 3 point land.
This happened several times.
Seems to me, if we want to play tough defense, maybe we should go straight up man to man. Considering the team we were playing, liking to shoot the 3 so much, maybe a good 2-1-2 zone might be a thought.
Just when it started to get fun watching basketball again, last night was a set back. I had even had thoughts of going to a game again, like old times. But I am not going to pay or fight traffic to see this.
Somebody needs to get up to the times and adjust their play to match their talent. This team does have some talent. But it needs to be used in a intelligent way.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: SONofHAM on January 11, 2017, 03:46:49 pm
you picked that little nugget out of his post?
I'm just saying we are throwing names out there like these other guys have accomplished anything at there previous schools. I've been a Mike Anderson fan since I can remember. I've been a Mike Anderson guy since middle school.

The strategy last night was a bad game plan. We don't have the athletes to press like we use too. I for one can not give up on Mike Anderson regardless of the early season failures. We have failed coming out the gate. However, I remember during the 2014-2015 season when Ole Miss came to Bud Walton Arena and scored 96 points. This board came out and said fire Mike Anderson etc.....  The hogs regrouped and had one the best seasons in Arkansas history. How will the hogs respond? There are in game changes that Mike Anderson has to make. The different line up changes every game and every half is not creating cohesion among the players. I do respect where the OP is coming from.

The_Iceman

Currently #24 in the country

15-2 record, including a road win over a Top 15 team.

Recruited 4 star players from Minnesota, Arkansas, New York, and Maryland to Minnesota.

Only 34 years old. Bright young star in the coaching profession.

Hawg Red

Well, he won a postseason tournament. That's more of an accomplish than anything that's happened here in the last 15 or so years.

rude1

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 11, 2017, 04:12:02 pm

Recruited 4 star players from Minnesota, Arkansas, New York, and Maryland to Minnesota.

^^^^That. One guy is young, energetic, and on his way up. Our guy is getting old, seemingly out of touch and on his way down and possibly OUT.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 11, 2017, 04:12:02 pm

One year LOL

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 11, 2017, 04:16:16 pm
Well, he won a postseason tournament. That's more of an accomplish than anything that's happened here in the last 15 or so years.

On a neutral floor we beat them. Maui

The_Iceman

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 11, 2017, 04:45:19 pm
One year LOL

Won the NIT tournament his first season. Took two years to build up the program after that class of Tubby leftovers moved on. Now has his program in prime position for the future.

He has shown he can actually go into another state and recruit a highly rated player who he has no family connections to and who has no connections to the state of Minnesota.

And he big time out coached our 6th year head coach with way more experience.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 11, 2017, 04:48:59 pm

I think the matchup this year is a better judge of both coaches. One is 4 years in and the other 6 years in.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 11, 2017, 04:49:29 pm
Won the NIT tournament his first season. Took two years to build up the program after that class of Tubby leftovers moved on. Now has his program in prime position for the future.

He has shown he can actually go into another state and recruit a highly rated player who he has no family connections to and who has no connections to the state of Minnesota.

And he big time out coached our 6th year head coach with way more experience.

Recruiting has always been about relationships so I'm not worried about any of that. Minnesota coach followed Tubby Smith and Mike followed Pelphrey. I wonder how established Arkansas would be if Mike followed someone like Tubby.

hogwood

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 11, 2017, 05:02:44 pm
Recruiting has always been about relationships so I'm not worried about any of that. Minnesota coach followed Tubby Smith and Mike followed Pelphrey. I wonder how established Arkansas would be if Mike followed someone like Tubby.

Tubby had minimal success at MN at best and he wasn't even there that long it seemed - not looking it up before I post though.

Anderson certainly had a better resume than Pitino does before the hire. But as Iceman posted, he is just boasting with potential and feels like an energizer.

He would also play really well into us recreating a rivalry with Kentucky and challenging for the SEC against them.

rude1

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 11, 2017, 04:48:59 pm
They went on to win the NIT and we went on to do what?