Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

List of Coaching Candidates

Started by The_Iceman, January 11, 2017, 07:17:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

tophawg19

closer to 66% some wanted Frank Martin [ so. carolina] and several other names . Steve Wojo----{SP}at marquette looks very good and is a fantastic recruiter in two years he has 1 5 star and 5 4 star kids . i think his Duke background serves him well . he served on two of duke's national championship teams as the assoc. head coach as well as on the Men's USA Olympic team from 2006 to 2012 as an on court coach and scout
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

GuvHog

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 11, 2017, 02:28:31 pm
closer to 66% some wanted Frank Martin [ so. carolina] and several other names . Steve Wojo----{SP}at marquette looks very good and is a fantastic recruiter in two years he has 1 5 star and 5 4 star kids . i think his Duke background serves him well . he served on two of duke's national championship teams as the assoc. head coach as well as on the Men's USA Olympic team from 2006 to 2012 as an on court coach and scout

I have a feeling that Steve Wojo is probably Mike K's heir apparent at Duke.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

The_Iceman

Quote from: GuvHog on January 11, 2017, 02:35:52 pm

Brad Stevens might be as well. I think Duke will want a coach with a last name they can spell....finally.

hogwood

Quote from: GuvHog on January 11, 2017, 02:35:52 pm

I'm pretty sure it would be Jeff Capel. But I wouldn't mind getting somebody from Coach K's tree.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Can there be another thread to debate the merits of whether or not Mike should or will be fired?  OP started this to generate list of candidates, to see for example if you are even entertaining the thought of Mike leaving who would replace him?  The thread could end up convincing some that the list of coaching talent out there is pretty shallow and Mike may be our best option.  I'm still hoping Mike gets it done but can be realistic enough to think he may not, and message boards are all about what if. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

HF#1

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 11, 2017, 11:38:51 am
Mississippi State is 11-4. Why are we acting like we got beat by a horrible team?

It was at home... Not a game we should lose. Not a game we can afford to lose.  Lose to KY at home, ok.  Florida is even forgiveable...  Not Mississippi Schools.  Outside of Fl and KY, we should win all home games, period.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

HF#1

I like the OP's list. I wouldn't count anyone out because of what region they are in. Just because they appear to be West Coast or Midwest guys doesn't mean they wouldn't be good fits at Arkansas.

I would make big time runs at Marshall, Buzz Williams, and the Wojo guy.

My next tier would be the OP's list but I would add Chris Beard. I know folks will say we won't hire someone who coached at UALR but that dude is a good one and will be a great one. I watched 7 home games in person of UALR while he was coach and was very impressed.  He could do wonders with this current roster.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Sivad

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 11, 2017, 10:58:42 am
This list is being constructed because people say you can't find anyone better
Wouldn't be very hard.

PonderinHog

tophawg19

Steve Wojo can flat out recruit . even to marquette. he is my first choice as long as we don't have to say or spell his last name
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

The_Iceman

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 11, 2017, 05:03:33 pm
Steve Wojo can flat out recruit . even to marquette. he is my first choice as long as we don't have to say or spell his last name

Buzz was making $2.8 million when he left Marquette. Not sure what Wojo is making, but he just signed an extension thru 2022. Not sure he is a realistic target.

lynbug

Guess it's fun to dream.  But I can't believe there are so many posts about an event (MA's dismissal) that's not happening in the foreseeable future.

RazorPiggie

If Mike said jump, FCJ would ask how high.

Big Boi

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 11, 2017, 05:06:38 pm
Buzz was making $2.8 million when he left Marquette. Not sure what Wojo is making, but he just signed an extension thru 2022. Not sure he is a realistic target.
I don't see where a move to Ark would help him advance his career.

Smithian

If Mike Anderson is fired, I don't think the next Razorback coach is a big name. Power conference coaches just aren't moving around and I don't know why a Gregg Marshall or Archie Miller is jumping for Arkansas right now.

I could buy in on a young up and comer like Matt McCall (UT-Chat, former Florida assistant), Kevin Keatts (UNCW, former Louisville assistant), or Joe Dooley (FGCU, former Kansas assistant). Someone young and hungry.

I think someone is going to hire Anthony Grant and he is going to prove to be a really good coach. Look at Gottfriend once he got away from Alabama.

hog.goblin

Quote from: Big Boi on January 11, 2017, 05:22:04 pm
I don't see where a move to Ark would help him advance his career.

Correct, we lost our chance with him for the current nostalgic disaster

WorfHog

We pay big time time money for results. Mike's trajectory is one NCAA tournament in SIX YEARS. He had the resume coming in, but he has not delivered at all.

nobballconcept

hogsanity

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Sivad

Quote from: hogsanity on January 11, 2017, 08:21:41 pm
No, no more Nolan guys.
No kidding. Those reparations have been overpaid in full.

hogwood

Quote from: hogsanity on January 11, 2017, 08:21:41 pm
No, no more Nolan guys.

I'd rather give Thurman the ropes if that was the case, what the hell.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Sivad on January 11, 2017, 08:36:36 pm
No kidding. Those reparations have been overpaid in full.
What the hell is that suppose to mean?

hobhog

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 11, 2017, 01:39:02 pm
Despite his numbers,i am not impressed him him as a player. i have a right not to be impressed.sorry but im not.

This says a lot.....

Meanwhile, I like Chris Beard and Underwood. You KNOW Long is at least THINKING about possible hire. Rest of season will tell all.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: WorfHog on January 11, 2017, 07:51:23 pm
We pay big time time money for results. Mike's trajectory is one NCAA tournament in SIX YEARS. He had the resume coming in, but he has not delivered at all.

And that brings us to the bigger question, Why?  Why can't a coach that has had success at other schools have success at Arkansas?   We are three coaches away from Nolan and four away from Sutton.  Arkansas has everything that is needed to be a Perennial top 25 program.  Don't you have to ask "what's the real problem"?  Also it's not just basketball, it's Arkansas athletics altogether.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on January 12, 2017, 02:20:14 pm
And that brings us to the bigger question, Why?  Why can't a coach that has had success at other schools have success at Arkansas?   We are three coaches away from Nolan and four away from Sutton.  Arkansas has everything that is needed to be a Perennial top 25 program.  Don't you have to ask "what's the real problem"?  Also it's not just basketball, it's Arkansas athletics altogether.

I really don't believe that. At least not with the basketball program. They just haven't made the right hires. Well, I think they did make one good hire, but he was gone the next day. Where would we be if they had been more upfront and accommodating with Dana Altman in regards to the academics?

They ended up with two extremely unproven coaches back-to-back after Nolan, and then brought back Mike (whose Missouri teams were in decline post-Elite 8). I think they can hire a good coach who can break this perception. It might be a sexy hire or one that immediately gets fans fired up, but there are coaches that I believe they could hire that would be coaching upgrades from a fundamental and strategic standpoint. And I'd have to believe that they could be at least equal recruits to Mike, who is not known to be a strong recruiter. The talent Mike brings is solid. It's never been. It's all about coaching.