Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Portis declares for early NBA Draft entry

Started by VanilaGorila, April 14, 2015, 01:34:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogg_Phan

Hate to see him go but I wish him the best of luck.
Maurice "Footsie" Britt - an "ex-Arkansas Razorback and Detroit Lion war hero".
.... In fact, Britt was standing on the field at the football stadium in Arkansas, saluting with his left hand and receiving the Medal of Honor, ...
http://www.cafe.com/r/f87e4a8e-2253-4fb1-90ad-4372d99aa204/1/why-havent-you-heard-of-this-war-hero-nfl-veteran

Marshfieldhog

Will we sign any "projects" to replace Portis, I'm sure we have some JUCO guy we can grab that will take a full year to do anything.

pfrg999

April 14, 2015, 02:08:47 pm #3 Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 02:22:27 pm by pfrg999
Qualls will be announcing at 4pm today as well...
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

The_Iceman

Quote from: VanilaGorila on April 14, 2015, 01:34:13 pm
So who do we get to replace him?

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25148786/arkansas-forward-bobby-portis-heading-for-early-nba-draft-entry

You don't replace Bobby Portis with one person. His production will need to be replaced by a combination of players.

However, we do have an open spot now, since Babb left. If Frazier qualifies, he would be a top choice for us. But we may end up scrapping around for someone who hasn't committed left.

pfrg999

So now we are down 3 (if Qualls leaves) an All American, Top returning scorer and up and coming guard... we are actually down 5 but Whitt and Kapita will replace them...I hope we dont have to just start looking for bodies,  I hate when we quick sign kids that are gone the next year
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

Hogimus Prime

IMO if MA can only find a project then he should save it for 2016.

immahog

wish we could steal one of the top 20 kids who have not picked a school .....Im sure they all are waiting on UK tho
No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

WooPig90

Danny J

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on April 14, 2015, 02:33:18 pm
IMO if MA can only find a project then he should save it for 2016.
I agree....more projects and "role" players will only keep us where we were before this past season. We need to sign another difference maker like Whitt.

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: Danny J on April 14, 2015, 05:43:49 pm
I agree....more projects and "role" players will only keep us where we were before this past season. We need to sign another difference maker like Whitt.

With what is known to return so far that's 12 players on the roster so unless MA can get unsigned 4 or 5 star to sign or a Melvin Frazier or both to sign or maybe Nick King. That 2016 class is huge with numerous kids looking at Arkansas

jackflash

Bobby thanks for the memories. I wish the best of luck in the future.

Danny J

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on April 14, 2015, 06:01:56 pm
With what is known to return so far that's 12 players on the roster so unless MA can get unsigned 4 or 5 star to sign or a Melvin Frazier or both to sign or maybe Nick King. That 2016 class is huge with numerous kids looking at Arkansas
Yeah and Frazier is not a immediate difference maker as far as any kind of shot(he would be right about where Qualls was when he came out of HS) and King would sit a year. We really need to sign another difference maker immediately to have any legit shot at the NCAAt if Qualls decides to declare. Hard to know what we are getting with Kapita since he sat out his entire senior year with a nagging nerve injury. Whitt is a difference maker though but will be a true freshman.

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: Danny J on April 14, 2015, 06:46:20 pm
Yeah and Frazier is not a immediate difference maker as far as any kind of shot(he would be right about where Qualls was when he came out of HS) and King would sit a year. We really need to sign another difference maker immediately to have any legit shot at the NCAAt if Qualls decides to declare. Hard to know what we are getting with Kapita since he sat out his entire senior year with a nagging nerve injury. Whitt is a difference maker though but will be a true freshman.

IMO need another difference maker even if Qualls returns.  The next couple of weeks will be very interesting.

HogWall Jackson

Two Words for BP about declaring early. NOT READY! I can't wait for his 1st match up with Dwight Howard. :'(

Hawg Red

Quote from: HogWall Jackson on April 14, 2015, 07:37:10 pm
Two Words for BP about declaring early. NOT READY! I can't wait for his 1st match up with Dwight Howard. :'(

What is "ready" in your eyes?

CDBHawg

He'll get drafted.

How does getting drafted equal "NOT READY"?

HOGINTENNESSEE

Yeah and Dwight Howard was ready when he came out. Quit being stupid. He is about to get paid Millions to play a game.

sickboy

Being projected as a lottery pick equals ready.

Rocky Mountain Living

www.wholehogsports.com/videos/2015/apr/14/11435/

Bobby cites ethic, character, NBA team interviews, and upcoming workouts why he will be a lottery pick

Bobby was a great ambassador for the program showing Malik Monk you don't have to go to KY Jelly to be a lottery pick.

Bobby will be a lottery pick...this will be great for  :razorback: basketball recruiting.  WPS

passinghog

If you watched even a minute of the NBA, you'd know they don't even play the  same position. Bobby made the right decision.

MissippHog

Congrats Bobby.  Really enjoyed your time with us and wish you well in the NBA. 

mbgrulz

Wow!

The_Iceman

Dwight Howard is a Center. Portis is a Power Forward. Two different positions in the NBA. Most NBA PF's would struggle against Howard, D.Jordan, etc.

Hawg Red

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 15, 2015, 09:31:57 am
Dwight Howard is a Center. Portis is a Power Forward. Two different positions in the NBA. Most NBA PF's would struggle against Howard, D.Jordan, etc.

Dwight Howard had 20 and 15 with 4 blocks and 3 steals the first time Anthony Davis "matched up" with him. Guess Anthony Davis wasn't ready for the NBA.

770john111

Need to give monk three scholarships and call it a day.lol

lumphog

Quote from: jackflash on April 14, 2015, 06:40:46 pm
Bobby thanks for the memories. I wish the best of luck in the future.
+1 Jack

MountieDawg

Not many 19 year olds are completely ready....  Its not about being ready, its about getting paid....
SEC!

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 15, 2015, 09:38:44 am
Dwight Howard had 20 and 15 with 4 blocks and 3 steals the first time Anthony Davis "matched up" with him. Guess Anthony Davis wasn't ready for the NBA.

If someone said Blake Griffin, Anthony Davis, Lamarcus Aldridge, or Zach Randolph would destroy Portis....ok, I'll listen. But saying Dwight Howard is just silly. That's like saying Steph Curry will abuse Portis.

Hawg Red

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 15, 2015, 11:50:42 am
If someone said Blake Griffin, Anthony Davis, Lamarcus Aldridge, or Zach Randolph would destroy Portis....ok, I'll listen. But saying Dwight Howard is just silly. That's like saying Steph Curry will abuse Portis.

And not even that. Those guys are All-Stars. Being "NBA ready" doesn't mean you step into the NBA and shut down or dominate All-NBA players. 

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 15, 2015, 11:54:39 am
And not even that. Those guys are All-Stars. Being "NBA ready" doesn't mean you step into the NBA and shut down or dominate All-NBA players. 

I think Portis can "hang" or do better than Julius Randal, Aaron Gordon, or Noah Vonleh, all Top 10 Draft picks from last year that play PF.

Hawg Red

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 15, 2015, 12:12:44 pm
I think Portis can "hang" or do better than Julius Randal, Aaron Gordon, or Noah Vonleh, all Top 10 Draft picks from last year that play PF.

Well, Randle only played like 7 minutes, but I agree.

thebignasty

Not much can help more with Monk than proving you can fast track your NBA career at home.

3kgthog

Quote from: thebignasty on April 15, 2015, 12:54:14 pm
Not much can help more with Monk than proving you can fast track your NBA career at home.

I think Joe Johnson already proved that by snagging one of the most bloated contracts in the NBA.