Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Vanover brothers

Started by redleg, April 09, 2015, 02:46:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

redleg

Brandon Vanover and Connor Vanover play for Arkansas Baptist.
Brandon, a 6'11" center, is a member of the 2016 class. Connor, a 7'1" center/power forward, is a member of the 2018 class.
I'm not sure how thick these boys are, although pictures of Connor show him to be a real beanpole.
Is Arkansas recruiting either of these guys?

??? Also, on a side note...can anyone tell me where Altee Tenpenny transferred to?  ???
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Hawg Red

Those boys are slower than slow. They would never make up on the Hill. They're likely low D1 to D2 players.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 09, 2015, 02:47:44 pm
Those boys are slower than slow. They would never make up on the Hill. They're likely low D1 to D2 players.
I have only seen the younger play but I disagree on your assessment of his skills.    Yes he is not very quick right now but goodness he is over 7 feet tall and only 15 years old and in the 9th grade.  Plenty of time to develop.  He has good hands and shoots the 3 ball very well.   I say lets wait a few years before we sentence him to D2 ball. 

Bacon_Bitz

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on April 09, 2015, 02:56:10 pm
I say lets wait a few years before we sentence him to D2 ball.

Fair enough.  Let's wait a few years til we start asking if D1 programs are recruiting him, too.

Razorpigg

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on April 09, 2015, 03:02:29 pm
Fair enough.  Let's wait a few years til we start asking if D1 programs are recruiting him, too.

I think that would be wise, seeing as though hes a 2018 recruit. 

Hawg Red

I have only seen the younger play but I disagree on your assessment of his skills.    Yes he is not very quick right now but goodness he is over 7 feet tall and only 15 years old and in the 9th grade.  Plenty of time to develop.  He has good hands and shoots the 3 ball very well.   I say lets wait a few years before we sentence him to D2 ball.

I didn't "sentence him to D2 ball." But, based on physical limitations (not skills), I'd say it's more likely these boys end up in the Sun Belt or Southland conference, if they're going to play D1. I would be floored if they ended up getting an SEC offer. Just too slow and stiff. They will get their education paid for to play basketball, though. Or at least part of it (I'm not sure how good the scholarships are outside of D1 schools).

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on April 09, 2015, 03:02:29 pm

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

ChicoHog

He's a freshman and 7 ft tall?   Amazing!  Do these brothers have parents who are really tall also?  Some powerful genes at work there. 

PGTIGERHOG

I agree with NWA.  Have seen them play and the younger may turn out to be a player on the major level.  Thought he moved very well for a 7+ foot 15 year old.  Decent ball skills, shooting touch and a good passer for his age and size as well. 

nwahogfan1

Quote from: ChicoHog on April 09, 2015, 09:24:53 pm
He's a freshman and 7 ft tall?   Amazing!  Do these brothers have parents who are really tall also?  Some powerful genes at work there. 
I was told that dad was 6'6 and mom was like 6'4.  But I bet someone on here knows more than me. 

jackflash

Lets wait until he a junior or senior before we say he not D-1 prospect. Be interested to see how does AAU ball this year. Before its done I bet he gets a major college offer.

Hawg Red

Quote from: jackflash on April 10, 2015, 10:20:13 am
Lets wait until he a junior or senior before we say he not D-1 prospect. Be interested to see how does AAU ball this year. Before its done I bet he gets a major college offer.

Define "major." Power 5?

jackflash

If he continue to improve which I think he will. I could see someone from the Big Ten or someone from up East offering him

Razorpigg

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 10, 2015, 10:27:42 am
Define "major." Power 5?

If he continues to improve his footwork and gets stronger, I would say yes. Just my opinion..

Don't see a UA offer in his future though.

Hawg Red

Quote from: jackflash on April 10, 2015, 10:40:43 am
If he continue to improve which I think he will. I could see someone from the Big Ten or someone from up East offering him

Why Big Ten and "up East" but not anywhere else?

jackflash

Didn't say he wouldn't be recruited any where else. I for one think Mike will look at him hard. 7-1 teams will take a serious look at him

Hawg Red

Quote from: jackflash on April 10, 2015, 10:56:16 am
Didn't say he wouldn't be recruited any where else. I for one think Mike will look at him hard. 7-1 teams will take a serious look at him

Uh, okay. But you only said those two.

Of course teams are going to look at the 7-footer. But I just don't see the boys being athletic enough to get a high-major offer. Maybe a mid-major like UALR or a low-major like UCA or another Southland school. They're pretty slow and frail. But they can shoot it.

tbhogfan

It's really hard to judge a kid who is that tall, that young.  It is entirely possible that one or both young men will have their athletic ability catch up to their bodies.  There's an old saying that you can't coach a kid to be 7 feet tall.   We'll see what kind of offers they get.
Go Hogs!

jseinfeld50

April 10, 2015, 01:23:51 pm #18 Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 04:50:48 pm by jseinfeld50
Quote from: ChicoHog on April 09, 2015, 09:24:53 pm
Do these brothers have parents who are really tall also?  Some powerful genes at work there.

I believe their mother is Robyn Irwin 6'3/6'4" (late 80's UA BB player). Not sure of the height of their father.

hawgwild child

Probably D2 and I agree.  My buddy coached against them 2x last year.  I trust his judgement a lot, said they are D2 and not good enough for D1.  If this is the same 2 I think he was talking about he said there was a 3rd who was 7+ in the band at another LR school

ImHogginIt

Quote from: tbhogfan on April 10, 2015, 11:32:29 am
It's really hard to judge a kid who is that tall, that young.  It is entirely possible that one or both young men will have their athletic ability catch up to their bodies.  There's an old saying that you can't coach a kid to be 7 feet tall.   We'll see what kind of offers they get.

Amen. Let them adjust to growing so tall at such a young age. Adding some muscle to those frames will make a ton of difference. Hopefully they are jumping rope every day too for coordination

RazorAg

Its completely safe at this point to conclude that Brandon won't be a high major player. Connor, on the other hand, probably need to wait a few years. I can understand the projections, though.

jgphillips3

You can coach technique.  You can't coach a kid into being 7 feet.  Hell, Connor may be 7'4" before he's done.  let's see how he looks his Junior year when he is more comfortable with his body and more developed.

tophawg19

Y'all remember Scottie pippen who couldn't make the UCA team coming out of high school.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

razorfrog

Those on here saying the 7ft1 freshman cant play SEC is ridiculous.  You ever heard of player development?  And big men take a lot longer to develop.

pigture perfect

We don't have a good history of developing the bigs.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

TomBigBeeHog

I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

Connor is one of 30 players to be invited to Colorado to try out for the US National U17 team going to Argentina.  So somebody sees something in him.