Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Daryl Macon update

Started by The Recruiting Guy, April 01, 2015, 12:42:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgil

It's not what you push but what pushes you!!

outlawhogeywells

The Recruiting Guy

Arkansas offered Daryl about 40 minutes ago.

Hogimus Prime

poloprince

Quote from: Virgil on April 01, 2015, 12:48:18 pm
Hope he gets the offer.

If he handles his business he will be a Hog no doubt.
$PoLoPrInCe$

rzrbk4life

Let's call those hogs!!!!

-Blu

Cool.  Thanks for update RD.

The Hogfather

The_Bionic_Pig

He reminds me a great deal of Chris Lofton but with much better handles...
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

The_Iceman

I'm guessing he will commit soon, if it's his choice.

JackJohnson

My gosh this kid is an efficient scoring machine!  I LOVE that he apparently has a knack of getting to the line (over 8 times a game!) and of course shoots them at almost a 90% clip.  This is crucial when not only closing out a game, but a way to get some "cheap" points against good defensive teams or when the team is having an off night.  Hope the kid commits soon bc he is about to blow up nationally...

http://stats.njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2014-15/div1/teams/holmescommunitycollege?sort=ptspg&view=lineup&pos=sh&r=0

The_Iceman

yraciv

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on April 01, 2015, 09:31:12 pm
He reminds me a great deal of Chris Lofton but with much better handles...

Minus the jumper? I see what you see in terms of style of play, but Chris Lofton was a next level marksman. Macon is decent from the arc.

Hawg Red

Quote from: yraciv on April 02, 2015, 11:11:08 am
Minus the jumper? I see what you see in terms of style of play, but Chris Lofton was a next level marksman.

No doubt. Tied for 5th all-time in NCAA history with 431 made 3-point FGs. Broke Pat Bradley's SEC record.

The_Iceman

Minus the jumper? I see what you see in terms of style of play, but Chris Lofton was a next level marksman. Macon is decent from the arc.

I would say Junior Season Stef Welsh is a better comparison.

azhog10

He had 24 pts in that video and had a really nice stroke. He was definitely on that game.

-Blu

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 02, 2015, 11:30:48 am

Stef Welsh is a great comparison, I wasn't feeling that Chris Lofton comparison.

mbgrulz

Quote from: -Blu on April 02, 2015, 01:54:07 pm
Stef Welsh is a great comparison, I wasn't feeling that Chris Lofton comparison.
Steph Welsh? Yuck! No thanks.

Thepigdoctor

Love the comment about how he works on his shooting, makes 500 shots and 200 free throws. Takes us back to the days of the aforementioned Bradley who used to stay in the gym until he'd hit x number of three's. Repetition, repetition, repetition...you can't teach work ethic, my boss knows that better than anyone.

azhog10

Quote from: mbgrulz on April 02, 2015, 01:56:11 pm
I agree. I don't think he's Steph Welsh or like him at all.

yraciv

Quote from: azhog10 on April 02, 2015, 07:36:57 pm
I agree. I don't think he's Steph Welsh or like him at all.

Yeah I think he is somewhere in the middle.  Stefan Welsh did some things well, but he was a terribly inefficient scorer.  I think Macon would come off the bench behind Beard and Whitt, but give us a needed offensive punch on the 2nd unit.

Junkyard Hog

Quote from: -Blu on April 02, 2015, 01:54:07 pm

I used to hope and pray Welsh would hit 1 free throw every time he went to the line. Two was too much to ask.

The_Iceman

Quote from: mbgrulz on April 02, 2015, 01:56:11 pm

Junior welsh was pretty good. I'm just trying to temper my expectations with Jucos.

chiefhawg

From Jimmy Whitt. Already recruiting for the Hogs.

Jimmy Buckets ‏@JimmyWhitt33  47m47 minutes ago
Just peeped some highlights of my guy @YoD4__  👀 but I'm just keep that lowkey......

@Yoda is Darl Macon if you didn't know.

intelligence

No Kiddin. Lofton is one of the best shooters ive ever seen.

-Blu

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 02, 2015, 09:32:58 pm
Junior welsh was pretty good. I'm just trying to temper my expectations with Jucos.

Yea, junior Steph Welsh wasn't bad at all.  If Macon can give us 11 PPG, I would say it was a very successful JUCO pick-up, though I will say this, I think Macon will be a much better free throw shooter and his 3p% should be at least 35%.  Chris Lofton, I mean he was one of the best guys in the conference during his day, putting up 20 PPG, I don't really think that's a realistic comparison for Macon. 

I don't think guys understand it's a big jump from JUCO to D1.  Just to give you guys an idea, Durham averaged 21 PPG and shot 44% from 3 p% in JUCO, his first year with hogs he averaged 2 PPG.

onebadrubi

If he walks in at day one and starts there this could be an addition we really need!  I hope you are accurate in that comparison

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 02, 2015, 09:32:58 pm

I don't consider .363 FG% and .301 3FG% very good

Welsh has good form on his shot. It just wouldn't go down

azhog10

Quote from: -Blu on April 03, 2015, 01:56:04 am
Yea, junior Steph Welsh wasn't bad at all.  If Macon can give us 11 PPG, I would say it was a very successful JUCO pick-up, though I will say this, I think Macon will be a much better free throw shooter and his 3p% should be at least 35%.  Chris Lofton, I mean he was one of the best guys in the conference during his day, putting up 20 PPG, I don't really think that's a realistic comparison for Macon. 

I don't think guys understand it's a big jump from JUCO to D1.  Just to give you guys an idea, Durham averaged 21 PPG and shot 44% from 3 p% in JUCO, his first year with hogs he averaged 2 PPG.
Wasn't Jabril in a much smaller JUCO league? I could be wrong but for some reason thought Jabril was in JC D2 and Macon is in JC D1.

azhog10

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on April 03, 2015, 08:08:32 am
I don't consider .363 FG% and .301 3FG% very good

Welsh has good form on his shot. It just wouldn't go down
Welsh had horrible shot selection. Never saw a shot he didn't like. He would get hot once every 7 or so games. But he was bad in transition, turned it over stupidly, and felt he always had a green light when he had a hard red.

mbgrulz

Anybody who liked SW's game is a victim of the Stan Heath-John Pelphrey era of terrible Razorback basketball. Bless your hearts.

HogInThaGrove

Quote from: Thepigdoctor on April 02, 2015, 07:05:19 pm
Love the comment about how he works on his shooting, makes 500 shots and 200 free throws. Takes us back to the days of the aforementioned Bradley who used to stay in the gym until he'd hit x number of three's. Repetition, repetition, repetition...you can't teach work ethic, my boss knows that better than anyone.

As awful as it feels to say, nobody outworked Rotnei Clarke in the gym.  500 makes for him was a warmup.  He lived in the gym.  If Macon has a 1/4 of that work ethic, and I think he does, he should be a good player for us, if he commits.

The_Iceman

Quote from: mbgrulz on April 03, 2015, 08:56:17 am
Anybody who liked SW's game is a victim of the Stan Heath-John Pelphrey era of terrible Razorback basketball. Bless your hearts.

I would rather him come in with low expectations. JUCO's are hard to project, you just never know. If he exceeds them, great! But I say Welsh as a comparison because their heights and style of play and skills sets are similar.

yraciv

Quote from: azhog10 on April 03, 2015, 08:36:57 am
Wasn't Jabril in a much smaller JUCO league? I could be wrong but for some reason thought Jabril was in JC D2 and Macon is in JC D1.

Jabril played at Seminole State, which is a JC D1.

The_Iceman

Quote from: yraciv on April 03, 2015, 02:56:20 pm
Jabril played at Seminole State, which is a JC D1.

The last couple of games this season, I started finally seeing Durham play with a level of quickness and aggressiveness I was hoping he had. I don't think he will be a major contributor for us, but he might have a mini-juco breakthrough his senior year.

RyeHogFan

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 03, 2015, 03:01:54 pm
The last couple of games this season, I started finally seeing Durham play with a level of quickness and aggressiveness I was hoping he had. I don't think he will be a major contributor for us, but he might have a mini-juco breakthrough his senior year.

If Jabari can just make a few 3's and get some assists for the second unit while playing good D, I'll be happy. We desperately needed some offenses guidance and firepower with our 2nd team.

As far as Macon goes, I'm definitely impressed by this young man's shooting abilities (as said before, a huge need) and I see him committing soon.

-Blu

Quote from: azhog10 on April 03, 2015, 08:36:57 am

Both JUCO D1

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 03, 2015, 09:22:51 am
I would rather him come in with low expectations. JUCO's are hard to project, you just never know. If he exceeds them, great! But I say Welsh as a comparison because their heights and style of play and skills sets are similar.

I liked the comparison, they both kinda have the same "swagger" same type of frame, height, and both like to shoot.  I didn't really think a junior Stef Welsh comparison was an insult or anything, he had a decent junior year.  I do think Macon is better shooter though from what I seen, but I'm guessing in a lower level Welsh was lighting it up as well, we'll have to wait and see, really hard to project JUCOs as you said. 

With all that said, I'm really excited about Macon, seems like he really wants to be a Hog, and I feel he's a guy that can compete for a spot in the rotation right away and hopefully provide another outside threat.  He should be one of the top ranked JUCO guys coming out of 2016.

lefty08

I wouldn't be surprised at all for Durham to be our starting of next year
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

poloprince

Quote from: lefty08 on April 03, 2015, 06:15:26 pm
I wouldn't be surprised at all for Durham to be our starting of next year

Not over Mighty Mouse 2.0 :razorback:
$PoLoPrInCe$

lefty08

Quote from: poloprince on April 03, 2015, 08:18:24 pm
Not over Mighty Mouse 2.0 :razorback:

It could happen and probably should happen if Durham plays as he is capable
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.

gmarv

Quote from: lefty08 on April 03, 2015, 10:11:36 pm
it could happen but anton will be better too.

Big Nasty 34

If we get Macon, I hope he doesn't average over 2 TOs per game ala SW

mbgrulz

Quote from: lefty08 on April 03, 2015, 10:11:36 pm
So the junior who got beat out by the freshmen "probably should" start over the same guy a year later? Wow...That's interesting logic.

jry04

Quote from: mbgrulz on April 07, 2015, 09:31:10 am
So the junior who got beat out by the freshmen "probably should" start over the same guy a year later? Wow...That's interesting logic.

I think he is saying if Durham plays to his potential, not that he should just be handed the job.

A lot of JUCO players, who end up good, have a rough first season.

mbgrulz

Quote from: jry04 on April 07, 2015, 09:49:44 am
I think he is saying if Durham plays to his potential, not that he should just be handed the job.

A lot of JUCO players, who end up good, have a rough first season.
I realize that, but Beard was the one who was offered by multiple high-major D1 schools out of high school (Mizzou, Arkansas, UMASS, Tennessee). Durham had to go NAIA out of high school and ended up at Arkansas as a less than plan A guy.

I think if we're talking potential, Anton wins out 100 times out of 100. 

Biggus Piggus

Please. No.
[CENSORED]!

psooie

does he need to go to year 2 of juco or could he enroll now? this guy list the hogs

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/04/mr_basketball_dazon_ingram_tal.html

The Hogfather

lefty08

Quote from: mbgrulz on April 07, 2015, 11:43:13 am
I realize that, but Beard was the one who was offered by multiple high-major D1 schools out of high school (Mizzou, Arkansas, UMASS, Tennessee). Durham had to go NAIA out of high school and ended up at Arkansas as a less than plan A guy.

I think if we're talking potential, Anton wins out 100 times out of 100.

I think Durham is a much better passer and shooter at this stage, and I expect a huge jump his senior year

Relax, I'm not saying beard sucks at all