Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who is Reid Miller?

Started by yankeefaninHOGland, January 06, 2015, 08:41:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jjdlc

Quote from: ricepig on January 07, 2015, 02:56:13 pm
It's changed a lot in four years. I've got one who's a SR up there, and one that is a SR in high school, what got you a full ride four years ago, won't necessarily get you one today.

And they say our education system is crap, when I was in HS, a 34 was very elite.

ricepig

Quote from: jjdlc on January 07, 2015, 03:05:22 pm
And they say our education system is crap, when I was in HS, a 34 was very elite.

Oh, it still is, I'd say a 34 would get you a free ride at the UofA, and a lot of places.

WarPig88

The test has changed. They teach for it and it has been dumbed down as well.

I don't know anyone who hasn't made above a 30 on it in my kids' generation. Not kidding either and these kids I know of aren't spectacular scholars in any sense.

hogcam

Quote from: WarPig88 on January 07, 2015, 03:12:20 pm

I don't know anyone who hasn't made above a 30 on it in my kids' generation. Not kidding either and these kids I know of aren't spectacular scholars in any sense.
You must know a bunch of geniuses. I made a 32 a few years ago and received a full ride to the UofA.. I know a ton of kids that make low 20s. Think you are just trying to make yourself feel better about your low score

Razorbacking

What?! Above a 30 is still elite not many kids get that. I only know a handful of kids with a 30 and up. If I had to guess the average ACT score for the kids on campus it would be a 25 or so. Very far away from a 30.

Deep Shoat

Have we started bashing this kid yet?

Just wondering...
All Gas, No Brakes!

PorkRinds

Wrong.

Darren DeLoach

Alright....a kid from a great school is walking on to our football team. Hey look, he has decent measurables for a walk-on. Welcome aboard Reid.

ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

mhuff

rusvegashog

Great wak on program and ecstatic to have this young man choose To be a hog. The future is bright.

ArkRazr

I just listened to Reid's interview on recruiting Thursday, this kid has his head on his shoulders, I was very impressed by everything he had to say. Can't wait to see him develop into a great player! WooPig :razorback:

PorkRinds

Quote from: ArkRazr on January 15, 2015, 08:02:40 pm
I just listened to Reid's interview on recruiting Thursday, this kid has his head on his shoulders, I was very impressed by everything he had to say. Can't wait to see him develop into a great player! WooPig :razorback:

I thought  he was a grown man. So impressive.

pigture perfect

I'm hoping he gets a scholly in the fall, if we don't sign our max.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

redeye

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 06, 2015, 09:06:50 pm
Stud may be a reach, but the coaches have obviously talked the kid into walking on.  Also being reported he has 4.45 speed.  That's not teachable or coach able.  This is depth we have not seen in decades!

Might be a reach, but IMG is always loaded with placed talent and his coach said he was shocked Reid didn't receive any major offers.

redeye

Quote from: hogcam on January 07, 2015, 03:22:40 pm
You must know a bunch of geniuses. I made a 32 a few years ago and received a full ride to the UofA.. I know a ton of kids that make low 20s. Think you are just trying to make yourself feel better about your low score

I think there's some truth in what WarPig said.  If you'd made a 32 when I was in high school, you might have had a full ride at an Ivy League school.

Overall, I think kids are smarter today, but good schools implement systems that make testing much easier.

Capt_Marvel

It's always dangerous to bring facts to a Hogville debate. but the ACT was changed in 1989 and the scores 'recentered'.  A score prior to 1989 was adjusted by 2 points upward.  So a ACT score of 28 in 1988 would be a 30 on the new scale.
Source: http://www.erikthered.com/tutor/sat-act-history.html

Also, average scores on the ACT have gone up over the years even since the changes, more likely due to better test prep materials since the advent of the Internet.  Students now have access to exam prep materials from numerous 'dump' sites that are often word for word what they see on the actual exam. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACT_%28test%29)

Now back to topic, I like Miller, too, and am thrilled he's a Hog!  I think he'll be an outstanding addition in the program.

LJHOG

All right then son.  Get on up here and get after it.

hawg1221

So he's "got it" physically, mentally, and academically. And he wants to join the Razorbacks on his own dime. This seems almost too good to be real. His life must have been nothing but eat, sleep, study, and exercise. I've got to say this is not a normal walk-on.

PorkRinds

Quote from: hawg1221 on January 16, 2015, 10:57:56 am
So he's "got it" physically, mentally, and academically. And he wants to join the Razorbacks on his own dime. This seems almost too good to be real. His life must have been nothing but eat, sleep, study, and exercise. I've got to say this is not a normal walk-on.

He's not.  I went away from his interview with RD the other day thoroughly impressed. The kid is as impressive as any kid we've signed in my recent memory as far as attitude, maturity, and intelligence.  He's got the measurables to go along with it, so it's a win/win for us.  Even if it doesn't work out fully on the field, he's the kind of guy you want around your program.

HogMantheIntruder

Your kids have smart friends.  Scoring over 30 is still fairly rare.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

HogMantheIntruder

Oh, and to answer the OP's question, I'm not sure about his past, but here's a glimpse into his future:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burlsworth_Trophy
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

WorfHog

Quote from: Poppa Tart on January 16, 2015, 04:57:13 pm
Your kids have smart friends.  Scoring over 30 is still fairly rare.

Depends on the school district, but yeah a 30 is still good. I noticed that my younger brother started taking the test in 8th grade (scored a 22, higher than many in my graduating class haha) and has taken it every year since. Learning how to take the test might be something that schools are focusing on more.

titanhawg

I took the ACT when I was a JR. and made a 24 (this was in 1983) and got all kinds of academic scholarship offers because of that score.  Most people I knew made below that.  So...I'm thinking the test has to be different if the average today is a 25...because the average then was probably 19-20 at best.  Either that, or we all were a bunch of dumbasses back then (which is possible).

BigPapaHawg

That was an impressive video of Miller!
WOO PIG

SkeeterHawg

They have changed the test.  According to my sister-in-law (high school guidance counselor), the average test score is higher now because the test is easier than it used to be.  ACT administrators have said this in meetings.  Her daughter, who is very intelligent, took the test as a sixth grader and scored a 24, and that was with a 14 in the math section.   

hoghiker

Most years, scores are some fluid year to year, a 28 ACT puts you in the 90th percentile. You can make your own determination about what is elite.

BirmingHam

So, when I scored a 27 in 1975, it was a good score?  Same as a 30 now?

ricepig

Quote from: BirmingHam on January 17, 2015, 09:29:45 am
So, when I scored a 27 in 1975, it was a good score?  Same as a 30 now?

Yep, puts you about average........

tophawg19

if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

swinesation

Quote from: ricepig on January 07, 2015, 02:56:13 pm
It's changed a lot in four years. I've got one who's a SR up there, and one that is a SR in high school, what got you a full ride four years ago, won't necessarily get you one today.

This is true. Same with me.

swinesation

Miller looks physically limited, but has maxed out his physical capabilities. Looks like he has great instincts, tough, and smart. I bet he'll be a great special teams player if he stays.

Rzback

Are there any 5-11 190 4.45 DB's starting in the SEC?
Winning Percentages (how times have changed!) Frank Broyles 71%  Lou Holtz  74%  Ken Hatfield 76%  Jack Crowe 38%  Joe Kines 35%  Danny Ford 47% Houston Nutt 61%  Bobby Petrino 67%  John L Smith  33%  Bret Bielema 46%  Chad Morris 14%  Sam Pittman 52%

Peter Porker

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

ricepig

Quote from: Rzback on April 12, 2015, 05:05:20 pm
Are there any 5-11 190 4.45 DB's starting in the SEC?

The better question is how many are truly over 6'?

nwahogfan1

Reid had a nice scrimmage on Saturday.  He played CB and seemed to have good cover skills and would come up to develop a pop on the edge.

He looked like he was only 5'9" tall.  That is what scared many D1 schools away.  I think he had several D2 schools offering.  Couldn't tell his weight but 175-185 is probable pretty close.  Good looking w/o.  I would guess if he sticks with it he would r/s this year and then play S/T's next year and also start to get some DB playing time.

TeedupHigh

How big was Sam O?, (want even try to spell his last name) He could not have been close to 6 foot and he did OK................

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: immahog on January 06, 2015, 08:55:33 pm
That's a hell of a walk on ...looking at the tape

Not the biggest, but fast enough... He doesn't seem to waste any movement. He is on a line for the seen of the collision from the snap. Very heady player. Extremely excellent walk on. He will probably earn one of the 1st available scholarships unless his family is wealthy and just wants to help the team out while he earns a shot at the NFL...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

jjdlc

Quote from: TeedupHigh on April 12, 2015, 08:05:34 pm
How big was Sam O?, (want even try to spell his last name) He could not have been close to 6 foot and he did OK................

He was 5'8"

Rzback

What number was Ried wearing Saturday?
Winning Percentages (how times have changed!) Frank Broyles 71%  Lou Holtz  74%  Ken Hatfield 76%  Jack Crowe 38%  Joe Kines 35%  Danny Ford 47% Houston Nutt 61%  Bobby Petrino 67%  John L Smith  33%  Bret Bielema 46%  Chad Morris 14%  Sam Pittman 52%

Seminole Indian

Still is, and is not a 36 perfect?
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

Pork Twain

April 13, 2015, 07:10:58 am #90 Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 06:53:33 am by Pork Twain
Sounds like a very solid get.  I have always believed that a solid walkon and redshirt program were critical for Arkansas to win in the SEC.

http://collegeapps.about.com/od/collegeprofiles/p/arkansas.htm

http://www.testcrew.org/
ACT scores (along with an applicant’s high school grades, curriculum, and class rank) are the largest determinants into whether a college will accept an applicant. The ACT test is based out of 36 points, with scores ranging from 1 to 36. The average ACT score of all 1.4 million test takers nationwide remains consistent from year to year, and was just above 21.1 in 2012. Almost 30% of ACT takers score between a 19 and 23. 55% of all ACT takers score between 17 and 25. While technically a student can score a 1 on the ACT, over 99% of test takers score a 12 or above.

The average ACT score in each state fluctuates. The states with the highest average ACT test scores were Massachusetts (23.6), Connecticut (23.3), New York (23.1), and Washington (23.1). My alma mater, the University of South Carolina has an average ACT score of 25. This is 4 points over the national ACT average score.

The states with the lowest average ACT scores were Mississippi (18.9), Washington DC (19.1), and Florida (19.8).

The minimum ACT score required for admittance differs by school. Most public universities require an 18, although exceptions are made.

Most Ivy League schools only accept applicants whose ACT scores are in the 90th percentile, which most years require a score of 28.

Achieving a 36 on the ACT does not require getting every question answered correct, but is difficult to achieve. Only 1 in every 4,000 test takes gets a 36.

A score above 34 puts a student in the top percentile. A score of 30 is considered to be excellent and is only achieved by the top 4% of all test takers.

So while things have changed, they have changed for everyone taking the test and the probability of scoring above a 30 is still extremely slim and some of you must just only know really smart people...or you are talking out of your butts.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

WorfHog

Rzback