Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jimmy Whitt commits to Arkansas

Started by HawgAdvocate, June 02, 2014, 10:32:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Otis

Quote from: mbgrulz on June 03, 2014, 10:27:11 pm
You answered the first part on your own in your post at 5:41....On paper it doesn't look good, but I wouldn't say that its impossible to put together a roster that CMA could win with. I think some of us forget that recruiting is a good indicator of future success, but not the end all be all.

It would be a real stretch for anyone to say that we could honestly have gotten both of those scoring guards. I understand that we could maybe sell them on Whitt at the 1 and Allen at the 2. We could also sell them on the fact that CMA's system doesn't have to have a true PG, and so on but honestly it was always get 1 of the 3 of McClure, Allen, or Whitt.

For the record, I'd take Whitt over Allen, but its really close.

Also, I would like to see a staff upgrade. I think its time for it. Would be nice if one of the 3 would move on so CMA didn't have to fire on of his guys tho.

Last year people were saying we just needed a true PG, now we're saying Mike's "system" doesn't need a true PG. I'm confused, as to which excuse for losing to go with now.

Marshfieldhog

This is the make or break year coming up...Mike has a lot of depth and is adding a couple of key newcomers. If we can't get to and do some damage in the tourney this year it's probably not going to happen with Mike. That being said, I think we are going to have a great year.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Otis on June 03, 2014, 11:20:58 pm

Last year people were saying we just needed a true PG, now we're saying Mike's "system" doesn't need a true PG. I'm confused, as to which excuse for losing to go with now.

It's preferable, however what the poster you were quoting was saying is that we'd play Whitt or Allen at guard and pg just to get them both on the court since they're so good.  Allen wants to be a point guard anyways. 

Hawg Red

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on June 03, 2014, 11:03:44 pm
I think as far as taking over madden, maybe bell could do it along with babb? So more than we need the next guy to be as good as Whitt or madden or a top 100 recruit, we just need them to, by the time they're ready, be able to do what is needed of them. 

Babb would be far more likely than Bell. Bell's just a role player contributes very little if he isn't hitting 3s. Babb is very well-rounded, just a matter of the time it takes him to be able to contribute well enough to be a replacement for Madden. I think he's a candidate. Would feel better if Whitt/Allen were on board. Whitt and Allen are players that I feel would have All-Freshman-type seasons. I'm not sure Babb is that kind of player yet. Maybe he is. That would help a lot.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 04, 2014, 09:40:05 am
Babb would be far more likely than Bell. Bell's just a role player contributes very little if he isn't hitting 3s. Babb is very well-rounded, just a matter of the time it takes him to be able to contribute well enough to be a replacement for Madden. I think he's a candidate. Would feel better if Whitt/Allen were on board. Whitt and Allen are players that I feel would have All-Freshman-type seasons. I'm not sure Babb is that kind of player yet. Maybe he is. That would help a lot.

Babb has a season to get there.  Bell might develop into more though.  He showed some flashes of good defense and ability to take it to the hole.  I'm excited to see more from Watkins too and Hannah's in a year.

Hawg Red

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on June 04, 2014, 09:48:34 am
Babb has a season to get there.  Bell might develop into more though.  He showed some flashes of good defense and ability to take it to the hole.  I'm excited to see more from Watkins too and Hannah's in a year.

The better your guards, they better you'll play in the tournament. This is why I've put a premium on getting one of those highly-rated 2015 cats. A sophomore Beard/Babb duo should be solid, along with Qualls as a big guard, and Bell/Hannahs/Durham off the bench. But we lose a lot players in 2016. It would be nice to have some a highly rated guard or two coming into their sophomore season by then.

hoglady

Quote from: Oklahawg on June 03, 2014, 11:20:28 pm
UA was one serviceable off-guard or point guard (so Madden could be OG?) away from the tournament this year.  They only had to be better than...Gulley? Kikko? Scott? That bar is not excessively high.

Score a bid, win a game...voila, recruiting gets easier.

That said, this staff doesn't appear optimized for recruiting. Likely need someone to land a mid-major HC gig next off-season so we can upgrade. Lots of loyalty and I respect that. But, we need an ace recruiter.

Loyalty is an admirable quality.
But when that loyalty is detrimental to a program that's paying you 2 million dollars a year, it needs to be checked. I like Anderson, I think he's a good coach and great fit for Arkansas - but like you said - we need a recruiter.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

HawgAdvocate

Jimmy has been invited to attend the Chris Paul Elite Guard Camp that goes from August 7th to 10th. This invite goes out to the top 30 high school and top 15 collegiate point guards from across the country each year.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

HawgAdvocate

Whitt visited Saint Louis University and their basketball team's coaching staff yesterday. The Billikens have been a top 25 program each of the past two seasons, and have made the 3rd round of the Dance each of the past three seasons.

STL only got involved with Whitt about two months ago. STL has not offered Whitt yet, because they claim they want to respectfully build a relationship with him and his family first before doing so.

Whitt was born in STL, and still has family in STL. Whitt says his biggest strength is coming off ball screens. Whitt also said the level of the school isn't important to him, as even a mid-major program like STL has had continued success recently.

http://saintlouis.scout.com/story/1408759-whitt-talks-slu-visit-recruiting?s=437
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

HawgAdvocate

Scout updated their Top 100 for the 2015 class today.

Whitt is #49 and a 4* player.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=4&cfg=bb&pid=88&yr=2015

HawgAdvocate

SMU's Scout writer Adam Grosbard did an article over the weekend highlighting the Pangos Camp, which included some info on Jimmy Whitt.

http://smu.scout.com/story/1407701-pangos-all-american-camp-scouting-recap-pt-2?s=357

Grosbard also went on to tweet that it "looks like (Admon) Gilder, Jimmy Whitt, Chad Lott are the 3 most likely to take the last guard spot in the 2015 #SMU class. 3 great options #PonyUp

klp1

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on June 09, 2014, 10:26:26 am
SMU's Scout writer Adam Grosbard did an article over the weekend highlighting the Pangos Camp, which included some info on Jimmy Whitt.

http://smu.scout.com/story/1407701-pangos-all-american-camp-scouting-recap-pt-2?s=357

Grosbard also went on to tweet that it "looks like (Admon) Gilder, Jimmy Whitt, Chad Lott are the 3 most likely to take the last guard spot in the 2015 #SMU class. 3 great options #PonyUp

If I were betting on this one, I'd say Gilder.  He is supposed to be a lock for SMU.

HawgAdvocate

Per Rivals, Whitt plans to visit Illinois in August

HawgAdvocate

HawgAdvocate

UNLV has reportedly offered Whitt

hogfreak

Read a article this week that said there are only 2 schools Whitt is for sure taking an official too. Arkansas and SMU

Hogberry Snortcake

Quote from: hogfreak on June 23, 2014, 09:43:37 am
Read a article this week that said there are only 2 schools Whitt is for sure taking an official too. Arkansas and SMU

Darn you, Larry Brown.  That guy is going to be a thorn in our side for awhile. 

SemperFi

Quote from: Otis on June 03, 2014, 11:20:58 pm

Every system from Mike Anderson, Mark Few, Bill Self and John "Gray Area" Calapari needs a true PG. Finding a PG that can direct the offense, be your Floor General and score when needed to do so are the combined elements that define whether or not you have the type of PG that you need to win. Under Nolan Richardson we had Corey Beck, which was as good of a PG on the college level as you could find. With him at the helm we won the National Championship in 94 and Runner's up in 95. I'd say that a true PG is imperative to any team.

Any update on Whitt worth discussing?
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: SemperFi on June 23, 2014, 10:28:04 am
Any update on Whitt worth discussing?

Probably not until he sets his official visits (his final five) in late July/early August.

-Blu

Quote from: hogfreak on June 23, 2014, 09:43:37 am

That's actually pretty good news.  Got a link to the article?

-Blu

Quote from: Hogberry Snortcake on June 23, 2014, 10:22:33 am

Yea, was hoping the Lakers would offer him their opening, I don't think he would turn that down.

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: Hogberry Snortcake on June 23, 2014, 10:22:33 am

meh, Larry Brown is rarely any one place for 'awhile'.  He'll leave soon enough

PygmalionEffect

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on June 20, 2014, 09:26:03 pm
Pretty good video & interview from the Top 100 camp

http://www.courtsidefilms.com/news_article/show/397317?referrer_id=1203619

First time I've seen him.  He's very well spoken, especially for his age. 
Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

HogBreath

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on June 23, 2014, 11:23:57 am
meh, Larry Brown is rarely any one place for 'awhile'.  He'll leave soon enough
Plus he's like about 180 years old.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: acey33 on June 24, 2014, 08:55:28 am
It's also juvenile foolishness to use the word snitch or I'm telling Mom...IMO

Mmmk...

In relevant news, Whitt is set to visit Minnesota this coming weekend.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on June 24, 2014, 07:13:37 pm
Mmmk...

In relevant news, Whitt is set to visit Minnesota this coming weekend.

Good thing it sucks there

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on June 24, 2014, 09:06:43 pm
Good thing it sucks there

The Twin Cities are actually a great place to be once the weather gets above 50 degrees. But yeah, those winter months can be brutal.

pondwater jack

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on February 13, 2015, 07:56:19 am
I cry at the thought of our creator looking down from on high relishing in two of his more majestic creations (Jack Blasingame and Mike Irwin) pulling together for the benefit of all razorback nation. Neigh..! mankind...
Quote from: Fort Dweller on February 14, 2015, 10:04:29 pm
And they slowly slink back to their holes.  Well done Madden and Watkins.

The real Hogules

Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

jbcarol

Verbal Commits @VerbalCommits  ·  2h
Verbal Commits | Tempo Free Recruiting Blog - Whitt Gaining Notoriety http://shar.es/Muogd  by @JamieShaw5 (@JimmyWhitt33)

QuoteWhitt says, "Since my first tournament this Spring, I have been offered by Illinois, Wisconsin, Wake Forest, Nebraska, Xavier, California, and Minnesota." Whitt's phone has also been ringing a lot with schools interested in finding out more about the guard including a couple storied programs, "Kansas and North Carolina have also called."

You can add those seven recent offers, from his play with KC Run GMC, to the twelve that Whitt had already accumulated and it could start to become an overwhelming process for Whitt...

"Right now I am just going through the process, no schools are really sticking out right now. I want to get my summer schedule over first. Ill (sic) pretty much be making this decision by myself, but my parents will help a little."
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Hawg Red

I keep waffling on how I feel about our chances with Whitt. Hopefully Kansas and UNC don't offer. I think we're in really good shape, despite all other recent interest, if that happens. Definitely think we'll get an official visit. This is a must-get, IMO.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 25, 2014, 02:11:48 pm
I keep waffling on how I feel about our chances with Whitt. Hopefully Kansas and UNC don't offer. I think we're in really good shape, despite all other recent interest, if that happens. Definitely think we'll get an official visit. This is a must-get, IMO.

After missing on Allen and McClure yes it is.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 25, 2014, 02:11:48 pm

In some of his more recent interviews, Whitt has said that he's a combo guard that knows he needs to become a PG if he wants to ever play in the NBA. That will be a factor to watch once he determines his final five.

jbcarol

Jimmy Whitt @JimmyWhitt33  ·  5h
"@CourtsideFilms: Jimmy Whitt Mixtape @ NBPA Top 100 Camp
[NEW VIDEO] http://www.courtsidefilms.com/news_article/show/398397?referrer_id=1203619 ...
pic.twitter.com/cgCg3YCFK3" Go check out the mix✊💯

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

hawgsmellgud

"I've never been a numbers guy," Mallett said. "If you play the game for yourself, don't play. I don't want you on the team. There's one goal we've got here. If you're not trying to reach that goal, don't come to Arkansas."

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: jbcarol on June 25, 2014, 08:19:36 pm
Jimmy Whitt @JimmyWhitt33  ·  5h
"@CourtsideFilms: Jimmy Whitt Mixtape @ NBPA Top 100 Camp
[NEW VIDEO] http://www.courtsidefilms.com/news_article/show/398397?referrer_id=1203619 ...
pic.twitter.com/cgCg3YCFK3" Go check out the mix✊💯

Ahhh yeaA!!!! This is the first video of him I've seen and I can see why the staff is on him so hard.  I love his game, I think he would be a great great great fit at arkansas and in our system.  I fully expect the blue chips to offer them though.

pondwater jack

I cry at the thought of our creator looking down from on high relishing in two of his more majestic creations (Jack Blasingame and Mike Irwin) pulling together for the benefit of all razorback nation. Neigh..! mankind...

hawgsmellgud

"I've never been a numbers guy," Mallett said. "If you play the game for yourself, don't play. I don't want you on the team. There's one goal we've got here. If you're not trying to reach that goal, don't come to Arkansas."

pondwater jack

it is big...VERY BIG.  One of the Biggest Gets weve seen in a while if it lines up...

PWJ

RazorAg

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on June 25, 2014, 02:38:19 pm
In some of his more recent interviews, Whitt has said that he's a combo guard that knows he needs to become a PG if he wants to ever play in the NBA. That will be a factor to watch once he determines his final five.

That's good for us

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: RazorAg on June 26, 2014, 12:28:02 pm
That's good for us

Yeah, he would/should certainly have every opportunity to run off high ball-screens time after time after time if he comes here. I have to wonder what Larry Brown is telling '15 & '16 guard recruits about Muiday. Kim Anderson runs a variation of Bill Self's high/low motion, which will certainly use a lot of ball-screens. I expect all three to make Whitt's final five.

RZRBack_FAN

Kid fits our system like no other. Long and athletic. Anticipates the pass, seems to like to play defense. Great in transition and a good shooter.

Big time need!

pondwater jack

Quote from: ChargerHog on June 28, 2014, 08:46:09 am
Kid fits our system like no other. Long and athletic. Anticipates the pass, seems to like to play defense. Great in transition and a good shooter.

Big time need!
big time. ..would be HUGE get

jbcarol

Jimmy Whitt @JimmyWhitt33  ·  2h
Never been the one to complain about officiating but on another different note I'm missing a tooth now and my team isnt shooting free throws

"@kharyw: @JimmyWhitt33 which tooth smh" Bottom row I'm still cute 🙏🙌

"@stopdropndcroll: Prayers to my guy Jimbo, you gonna be good my guy. @JimmyWhitt33" it's a tooth I'm fine I didn't get shot hahaha

Tough kid. Good sense of humor.

Courtside Films @CourtsideFilms  ·  7h
@jimmywhitt33 with back to back to back dunks, dunk drills last game #elevate #jimmywhitt
http://instagram.com/p/pzFas1HuEp/

Rotate to see dunks.

HawgAdvocate

Here comes Indiana with 'increased interest.' Have to assume that they've finally offered Whitt a scholarship.

It's worth noting that Whitt's father Jim played college ball at IIT, played pro ball for the Pacers, and got his masters from IU. It's going to suck royally if the Hoosiers somehow snag both Whitt and Morgan.

https://indiana.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?sid=942&script=%2Fcontent%2Easp&cid=1654915

HawgAdvocate

New Q&A article on Whitt, from his team camp visit to Minnesota. Whitt confirms he will sign in the fall, but he's not tipping his hat to any favorites or list any school that he 'definitely' wants to visit officially. Marquette is another 'new school' that has jumped in with UNC, Kansas, and Indiana.

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/399860?referrer_id=388419

HawgAdvocate

CBS article on some of the players from the NBPA Top 100, including Whitt, from 6/30

QuoteJimmy Whitt looking in and out of state

When Kim Anderson took over the Missouri job in the spring, one of the first things people said he needed to do was make sure the Tigers are on the list of Jimmy Whitt, a top-50 prospect from Columbia, Mo.

And Missouri is still in the mix for Whitt.

"Being able to stay home is something you think about," Whitt said. "All the people that supported you since you were little. That's something to think about."

Arkansas, Illinois, Wisconsin, Wake Forest, Colorado, Creighton, SMU and Kansas State are in the mix, while Kansas head coach Bill Self is expected to watch him in July. North Carolina and Wake Forest have also reached out, and Indiana is on his list.

"Indiana is a basketball state to me," Whitt said. "The atmosphere up there in the gym, during games. They love IU basketball, and that's huge to be able to play in front of fans like that, I think that's really great."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24601550/nbpa-top-100-camp-emptying-the-notebook

SemperFi

Just not getting that warm fuzzy from Whitt that he'll be a Hog. Looks like another miss by CMA and his staff. This team needs basketball players, not 2-3 year project types. Coming across as negative is not my MO; however considering all the recent misses on elite talent here as of late and I'm starting to think that UA basketball may never recover from the Nolan Richardson firing and the likes of Stan Heath and John Pelphrey. I hope that I'm wrong and that Coach Anderson will achieve greatness as the Head Hog.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

HawgAdvocate

The Hogfather