Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The New BS.....I mean BCS conference

Started by jman, October 18, 2009, 06:45:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jman

Heres what some are hoping for in the near future.  One power conference, 20 teams, split into 4 divisions, each with 5 teams.  Winners of each division would face each other in 4 team playoff for the BCS championship.  All outside conferences would not be worthy of BCS participation. :puke:

(The BCS conference)

Florida
Alabama
Georgia
Tennessee
LSU
Florida St.
Miami
Penn St.
Ohio St.
Michigan
Virginia Tech
West Virginia
Notre Dame
Texas
Oklahoma
Nebraska
Colorado
BYU
USC
Washington

LL COOL HOG

Where did you see this?  Washington, seriously?

Hog Waller

If this is a real idea from some brain trust it's a BS one.  There are plenty, not just a few teams on this list who haven't done anything in many years. 

ark30inf

Quote from: byrsta on October 18, 2009, 06:47:55 pm
If this is a real idea from some brain trust it's a BS one.  There are plenty, not just a few teams on this list who haven't done anything in many years. 

1) Colorado doesn't belong
2) The Texas legislature is never going to allow Texas in there without Texas A&M and Baylor tagging along
3) Once it becomes blatantly stated that the BCS is not for everybody, as opposed to being semi-secretly not for everybody.....then its viewership drops to only the fans in the BCS conference.

jman

October 18, 2009, 07:01:32 pm #4 Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 07:04:04 pm by jman
I made it up from years of watching college football and watching how the media handles and conducts themselves with tv deals, publicity and having a hand in the dictation of sports entertainment.  Notice that there are some teams such as Washington and colorado that could come into question....but, those two represent another region that would be covered by their additions.  Also, remember, I made this up as an example....I'm sure some teams could be traded out for others.......the most important thing to remember is that its the media darlings that would be entitled to play for all the marbles each year.

Quote from: bigrod155 on October 18, 2009, 06:47:03 pm
Where did you see this?  Washington, seriously?

LL COOL HOG

So you just made this poop up?   So your 'here are what some' is made up from watching teams that PLAY IN AUTOMATIC BID CONFERENCES. Of course these teams are going to get more airtime and media attention. If they win out they could play for the BCS Championship! 

ark30inf

Quote from: jman on October 18, 2009, 07:01:32 pm
I made it up from years of watching college football and watching how the media handles and conducts themselves with tv deals.  Notice that there are some teams such as Washington and colorado that could come into question....but, those two represent another region that would be covered by their additions.  Also, remember, I made this up as an example....I'm sure some teams could be traded out for others.......the most important thing to remember is that its the media darlings that would be entitled to play for all the marbles each year.

I think, in that case, you end up with a situation like the Rose Bowl was to Southerners.....where there is some game going on that doesn't concern you that much.

The non-BCS Bowl games would take on greater importance and undefeated teams like Utah and Boise would play in those and those fans would claim that "we would have beaten the BCS guys if we had been allowed to play".  The BCS would lose most of the national fan-base.

This might also exacerbate divisions in the NCAA.  You are leaving enough power and money out of the deal that some of the others might just take the opportunity to go form their own league without those "elite".  Arkansas, Illinois, Auburn, A&M, Mizzou, Clemson, Michigan State, etc. could grab all the little guys and form a new NCAA to compete against the smaller BCS/NCAA.

Local stuff comes into play.  As I said, Texas legislature is not going to let Texas go anywhere without A&M and Baylor.  Is the state of Alabama going to let Bama go without Auburn?  Lots and lots of politics all over the country there.

ArkHog1983

this is wishful thinking...I think a better (and more realistic)approach would be for all BCS conferences to expand to 12 teams...for example..

Big 10
add Notre Dame - this is not happening anytime soon but would bring the conference more legitimacy outside of OSU, PSU and Michigan.

Big East - a tough one...only has 8 teams
maybe add....
TCU--belongs in a BCS conference..in the DFW..good market
Houston...good program...good market
SMU--more of a long shot...but they are in Dallas, are getting better..and there is a lot of money at that school.
UCF???
East Carolina??
Tulsa??
Marshall??
UAB??
Southern Miss??
Tulane??
Arkansas State??(just kidding)

I know many of these teams are not in the "East"...but this is the worst conference by far.

Pac 10--2 spots...take 2 of these 3
Boise State
BYU
Utah

This would put most of the good programs in a BCS conference, which is the first step to solving the current mess.