Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The demise of HS FB in LR

Started by three hog night, January 04, 2013, 05:32:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kp72204

To be completly honest I never knew this. I grew up a few blocks from Central and I always questioned why I went to Hall. All the kids I ran with were as talented in every sport we played but not intrested in after school sports. Now that i'm older i'm wondering what can be done to change the culture in Little Rock. You'd have serious talent shipping up to Fayetteville then.

BoynamedWooPigSooie

So did anyone read that article in last Sunday's paper regarding the segregation lawsuits.

I was shocked to read that the state pays $70 Million per year and for the 30 year time period it's been over a Billion dollars to have this current mess on our hands.

I've kind of been like "oh well that's a Little Rock problem, it's up to them to fix their own issues."  Seeing $70M of taxpayer money be wasted on something as inefficient and backward as what has been delivered to LR angers me a bit. 

I'm to the point where if the feds mandate this, then they should run it and pay for it.  I don't like the idea of a farmer from Ashdown chipping in on something that is becoming an embarrasment and does no service to the students.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

LZH

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on January 22, 2013, 10:40:36 pm
I'm to the point where if the feds mandate this, then they should run it and pay for it.

This times one hundred seventy million thousand forty billion!   I agree +1

sigpooie

I have lived here since birth in the late 50s and coached boys club ball for 20 years and I think the missing actions that could fix a lot of the issues for the downfall is what I saw happen back in the 70s. My father and other fathers and mothers would see a kid that could play and they would help him and his family along to make sure he ended up playing for Uof A or some other school. Just being there for families helps keep a kid on the path. They don't always make it but back then most did.
I also saw this issue played out in the 80s while we all pushed basketball and baseball instead of football. I think we are still paying for not helping more with the football players lives.
I also have to agree, that random drug test have cost us several all Americans from here. I can think of 12 kids while I write this that that has cost us.
I also noticed that if half of the posters here would help one family in LR raise their kids that we would most likely get at least 5 all Americans from here
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! Hunter "my buddy" Thompson

SouthSide Johnny

Quote from: sigpooie on January 23, 2013, 06:12:29 am
I have lived here since birth in the late 50s and coached boys club ball for 20 years and I think the missing actions that could fix a lot of the issues for the downfall is what I saw happen back in the 70s. My father and other fathers and mothers would see a kid that could play and they would help him and his family along to make sure he ended up playing for Uof A or some other school. Just being there for families helps keep a kid on the path. They don't always make it but back then most did.
I also saw this issue played out in the 80s while we all pushed basketball and baseball instead of football. I think we are still paying for not helping more with the football players lives.
I also have to agree, that random drug test have cost us several all Americans from here. I can think of 12 kids while I write this that that has cost us.
I also noticed that if half of the posters here would help one family in LR raise their kids that we would most likely get at least 5 all Americans from here

Sadly a lot of kids come from broken homes with single parents, and the lucky ones that actually have 2 parents probably have a step parent with both working and little time left to devout for the kids, especially sports. Certainly mentoring would be a tremendous help.
Some Say it's Raining Elephants but They Go Outside Anyway..

sigpooie

Hey reggie, I really miss your dad. he was a great man and coach to us at Mann. Thanks for working with the kids here,, we might find a george stewart in the bunch.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! Hunter "my buddy" Thompson

three hog night

You are right, We need to help families or create better families.

Quote from: sigpooie on January 23, 2013, 06:12:29 am
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

kchogfan14

The continuing saga from the "Joshua Intervenors" and the ongoing desegregation lawsuits have taken their toll on LR high schools over the years.

Congratulations to all of the lawyers involved! Enjoy your country club memberships from the backs of Central Arkansas taxpayors and high school students. You have won. Everyone else in Central Arkansas has lost.

Does anyone wonder why so many kids are going to Charter schools and private schools?

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: kchogfan14 on January 23, 2013, 06:27:05 pm

Does anyone wonder why so many kids are going to Charter schools and private schools?

Not if you live in Pulaski County.

three hog night

Somebody high profile has to attack this problem.

Quote from: kchogfan14 on January 23, 2013, 06:27:05 pm
The continuing saga from the "Joshua Intervenors" and the ongoing desegregation lawsuits have taken their toll on LR high schools over the years.

Congratulations to all of the lawyers involved! Enjoy your country club memberships from the backs of Central Arkansas taxpayors and high school students. You have won. Everyone else in Central Arkansas has lost.

Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 

oldbear

Quote from: three hog night on January 24, 2013, 07:34:07 am
Somebody high profile has to attack this problem.

I agree to some extent but lots and lots of people that aren't high profile can make a much bigger difference. It would also make a huge difference if our local churches got out of their fancy buildings more often and took time to build relationships with people. I can rant all day long but most of you guys get it.

three hog night

Quote from: oldbear on January 24, 2013, 08:20:55 am
I agree to some extent but lots and lots of people that aren't high profile can make a much bigger difference. It would also make a huge difference if our local churches got out of their fancy buildings more often and took time to build relationships with people. I can rant all day long but most of you guys get it.

You are soooo right.  McFadden could make a big difference in a quick manner, and he may be able to energize the Churches to help.

kingofdequeen

Answer to OP: A Flourishing Youth Program would solve the problem.

the churchs?  mcfadden?  plz.  and to those of you decrying the DOE's numbers, they're audited annually by Leg. Audit.  Their numbers are solid.

RE the busing in LR, google "Deseg Little Rock Schools" and have yourself a ball.  without the busing, you'd have endless lawsuits.  and i mean ENDLESS.

lots of old white hate in this thread, too.  sad.

Blue35

Scooter is trying his best at LR Central to get interest.

Mr. Hughes

So did anyone read that article in last Sunday's paper regarding the segregation lawsuits.

I was shocked to read that the state pays $70 Million per year and for the 30 year time period it's been over a Billion dollars to have this current mess on our hands.

I've kind of been like "oh well that's a Little Rock problem, it's up to them to fix their own issues."  Seeing $70M of taxpayer money be wasted on something as inefficient and backward as what has been delivered to LR angers me a bit. 

I'm to the point where if the feds mandate this, then they should run it and pay for it.  I don't like the idea of a farmer from Ashdown chipping in on something that is becoming an embarrasment and does no service to the students.

I looked for this article, but didn't find it. Was it Sunday the 20th or 13th? (Skimmed both) And, which section?

BoynamedWooPigSooie

I think it was the 7th.  Front page.

I've already put my papers in recycling so I can't look at em and tell you exactly.  Sorry.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

three hog night

Holy crap....Can we afford NOT to fix this issue?