Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pat Dye on Condoleezza Rice: 'All she knows about football is what somebody told her'

Started by jbcarol, October 07, 2013, 04:25:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The Artist Yo Huckleberry

Quote from: Hogcrates on October 10, 2013, 04:20:57 pm
My bias? pot meet kettle! And I might agree, except I actually believe she is qualified. I believe she brings to the panel a different perspective. Perhaps the break through in discussions will be a real world experience solution rather than just narrow focused football solution. so it does not matter to me that she is a politician other than she has real world i.e. real planet experience. Your objection is not based in racism is it? You know if it were reversed folks like you would be crying wolf/racism.
Good grief. Convo fini. The earth is not flat, pal, all of your protestations to the contrary.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: The Artist Yo Huckleberry on October 10, 2013, 03:55:52 pm
And Condi sent us to war. Now YOUR perception of Mrs Pelosi is that she's an idiot, but you need to know that the perception of many people in this country, whether you like it or not or whether you agree or not, is that Ms Rice is an idiot.

"Who ever could have imagined them flying planes into buildings?"

Just because you had an advance memo stating such, you should still never believe it could happen.

Again, why is this in MMQ?

superior_wang

Quote from: Hogcrates on October 10, 2013, 03:50:21 pm
Because nancy pelosi is an idiot that said we have to pass a bill before we know what is in it. She actually said regarding the massive porkulus bill that it had to be passed first, then after the fact determine what is in it. and that is what they did. That is one of many reasons why Pelosi would be an atrocious choice for any panel including her current role.

fwiw Pelosi was hot in her day. Id still hit it, but yeah, im a democrat. we rolls like dat.

Quote from: Dominicanhog on October 10, 2013, 06:20:30 pm
"Who ever could have imagined them flying planes into buildings?"

Just because you had an advance memo stating such, you should still never believe it could happen.

Again, why is this in MMQ?
Miss the point much?

aberium2002

October 10, 2013, 10:00:40 pm #154 Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 10:24:30 pm by aberium2002
Quote from: Hoggie17 on October 08, 2013, 03:55:54 pm
The College Football Playoff selection committee will have Condoleezza Rice?  Interesting!
Hell why not Oprah and Taylor Swift too. Excuse me, and call me whatever you want but this one place a woman does not belong. What's next.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football" John Heisman

aberium2002

Quote from: hoglady on October 08, 2013, 11:06:35 pm
I really don't understand the problem some of you have with her. My guess is she will be the most knowledgeable, prepared and impartial person on that committee. And she won't be run over or intimidated by the blowhards.
How in the hell did I know you would put in your 2 cents. This is stupid and just bs politics. She doesn't belong on a football committee. Doesn't she have more important stuff to deal with. WE pay her a lot of damn money to do her damn job not this crap.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football" John Heisman

aberium2002

Quote from: ScottFaldon on October 10, 2013, 07:40:36 pm
Because there's not a forum dedicated to the belittling the idea of women who dare to know anything about sports - especially football.
Liberal? Please don't turn a football forum into your BS women's right crap. No one said women couldn't be intelligent but she should doing her damn job she gets paid to do. That's the problem with this damn country. Wake up people. Shouldn't a woman with her intellect be involving herself it making this country better. We paid her butt load of money while Bush was here.

aberium2002

Quote from: aberium2002 on October 10, 2013, 10:10:43 pm
How in the hell did I know you would put in your 2 cents. This is stupid and just bs politics. She doesn't belong on a football committee. Doesn't she have more important stuff to deal with. WE paid her a lot of damn money to do her damn job not this crap.

panhandlepig

Who else is on committee ? I'm 2 lazy 2 google.

grumpypenguin

This is a woman that once said her dream job is to be the commissioner of the NFL. That's a pretty specific job and you don't want that without loving football. I think she's a great pick.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: Chestodrawers on October 09, 2013, 06:23:39 pm

Like it makes any difference. There may be some dispute over the number 4 team that gets in, but that all. In a 4 team field, by the end of the season everyone on HV knows the 1 and 2 teams will be obvious. Probably the 3 team will be obvious. So the only thing they will be talking about is 4 spot.

Well, 1 spot out of the only 4 that are available....is huge.  Also, there very well could be some disputes about some of the 1st 3 spots.  What if we have 1 or 2 teams that finish undefeated, or with one loss, & 6 or 8 other teams all finish with 2 losses from different conferences...(SEC, big 12, big 10, Pac 10, .etc).  Things could really get interesting. 
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: grumpypenguin on October 10, 2013, 11:21:14 pm

This is a woman that once said her dream job is to be the commissioner of the NFL. That's a pretty specific job and you don't want that without loving football. I think she's a great pick.

Yeah, well my dream job would be president of Donald Trump Corporation.  I love business, so I think I would be a good pick for that.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Quote from: grumpypenguin on October 10, 2013, 11:21:14 pm
I want to be the commissioner of the NFL. That is MY dream job. Now, so damn what?

redeye

Quote from: Hogcrates on October 10, 2013, 03:50:21 pm
Because nancy pelosi is an idiot that said we have to pass a bill before we know what is in it. She actually said regarding the massive porkulus bill that it had to be passed first, then after the fact determine what is in it. and that is what they did. That is one of many reasons why Pelosi would be an atrocious choice for any panel including her current role.

Thanks for proving my point.

Btw, Congress passes bills without reading them all the time. It's insane, but that's how it's done and it's nothing unusual. Any U.S. Congressman who says that he reads every bill before voting on it is lying to you.

redswarmrising

Quote from: Hoggie17 on October 08, 2013, 03:55:54 pm
The College Football Playoff selection committee will have Condoleezza Rice?  Interesting!

being that she wasn't in "Who's Nailin Palin",i'm against her being a part of the committee

the_kosher_pig

Quote from: olivebranchhog on October 10, 2013, 03:03:54 pm
Haha...funny how politically opinionated and slanted Arkansas politics has been...yet is perennially one of the least educated states in the union. Also for a state that has one of the highest political retention rates in the country you never see anything improve. I believe these statistics prove the true ability of the state to critically think about and decipher situations. When I see Fox News headlines used as part of an argument, I immediately think of a stray dogs that are happy with roadkill for food. Keep taking what you're given without doing any real work. Oh well...trying to bring truth and logic into a political conversation usually gets me alienated. At the end of the day...if Arkansas education was anything close to "par"...the idiotic representatives from the state wouldn't see reelection. As my Dad always said..."We moved to Arkansas to stand out. Once you're done reading Harry Potter you'll be qualified to get a diploma here." Then we ended up moving to Mississippi...upon that time he told me, "Now you just have to spell your name."
The one thing I've learned about the people who think they know more about politics than someone else is they are the biggest idiots. 
Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on August 24, 2012, 11:24:06 am
Or unless your and idiot that is just trying to stir things up.

Polecat

"Sounds like a Mexican dish"

-Dave Chappell
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

grumpypenguin

Quote from: The Artist Yo Huckleberry on October 10, 2013, 11:38:00 pm
I want to be the commissioner of the NFL. That is MY dream job. Now, so damn what?

Well how about you actually show some ambition to rise to the position she has? Don't hate because she's more successful than you

superior_wang

Quote from: aberium2002 on October 10, 2013, 10:19:00 pm
Liberal? Please don't turn a football forum into your BS women's right crap. No one said women couldn't be intelligent but she should doing her damn job she gets paid to do. That's the problem with this damn country. Wake up people. Shouldn't a woman with her intellect be involving herself it making this country better. We paid her butt load of money while Bush was here.

hey, how's the Tea Party doing these days? havent had time to join them down on the border with my AK lately.

Quote from: grumpypenguin on October 11, 2013, 08:38:42 am
Well how about you actually show some ambition to rise to the position she has? Don't hate because she's more successful than you
Because I don't kiss ass.

Quote from: redswarmrising on October 11, 2013, 01:01:02 am
being that she wasn't in "Who's Nailin Palin",i'm against her being a part of the committee
There's an idea. Why isn't Palin on this committee ?

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on October 08, 2013, 08:42:16 am
I'm not a fan of Dye, never have been, but he does have a point here.  Who's next on the committee?  Donna Shalala?  Elton John?

Kind of wondered about that, too.  I don't think you've got be an insider to be valuable, but this sort of seemed like a weird reach for star power.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Vantage 8 dude

Heck, if I were Rice I'd be very nervous IF Dye were to like my being chosen. As if this clown has any great history of being some guru when it comes to running a program!?

NaturalStateReb

"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: The Artist Yo Huckleberry on October 10, 2013, 08:53:27 pm
Miss the point much?

I think I was agreeing with you and giving one of her stupid statements as supporting fact, but I could have missed what you were saying, it wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong.

jbcarol

Jeff Long ‏@jefflongUA 6h
I'm humbled to serve as the College Football Playoff Selection Committee's first chairman & I am excited to work with the committee members.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: BatesvilleHOG on October 08, 2013, 04:17:33 pm
I have no kids, no wife, and few true friends. I love my country and college football dearly.. Condoleezza Rice has been instrumental in running this country into the ground the past decade. I dont want her breathing or thinking about college football. She's a poison

Explaining things to people like you is hopeless so I don't even try anymore but I would like for you to respond to the following.  Please let us all know what Condoleezza Rice had to do with Obamacare, Fast and furious, Bengazi, immigration "reform" (where millions of illegal aliens will be granted citizenship), no budget passed during Obama's rule, increase in unemployment during the lat 5 years, out-of-control Federal spending, unprecedented debt...need I go on?

I'm sure you will come up with the normal liberal talking points without ever trying to find out what's true because it's what lemmings do.  One thing is abundantly clear is that the dumbing down of America is almost complete and will be followed soon by the destruction of America.     

DeltaBoy

Quote from: jbcarol on October 07, 2013, 04:25:00 pm
Bo Mattingly ‏@SportsTalkwBo 28m
Dear Pat Dye & other "formers", just because you played and coached doesn't make you smart or dumb. Just makes you a "former".

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/10/pat_dye_on_condoleeza_rice_all.html

After reports that former Secretary of State and Alabama native Condoleezza Rice would be a member of the upcoming College Football Playoff selection committee, several columnists and analysts criticized the choice, questioning Rice's football credentials.

"All she knows about football is what somebody told her," Dye said. "Or what she read in a book, or what she saw on television. To understand football, you've got to play with your hand in the dirt."

"I love Condoleezza Rice and she's probably a good statesman and all of that but how in the hell does she know what it's like out there when you can't get your breath and it's 110 degrees and the coach asks you to go some more?"

Dye also said that the he (sic) feels addition of Rice...

Seems like they are tore up about it. Dye also thought it might be more about Jimmy's and Joe's and less about X's and O's with Rice on the committee.

Sour grapes by Dye.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

jbcarol

... she specifically addressed Dye's comments and, as would be expected from a former Secretary of State, she was very diplomatic in her response.

"I would say, Coach, I respect you. I remember your great run at Auburn, and I certainly respect you, but I just respectfully disagree," Rice said when asked during an interview Thursday what she would say to Dye if he were sitting in front of here.

Rice's best response, though, came when she addressed the concerns and doubts expressed by myriad people that the fact that she hasn't played the game at a high level, or even been an administrator in the sport, makes her a liability to the committee.

"I am, Colin, after all, a student of Russia but I've actually never been Russian either," Rice, currently a professor of political science at Stanford, said during her talk with ESPN's Colin Cowherd. "You can know something from following it and studying it, and I spend a lot of my Saturday with college football."

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/17/condi-rice-respectfully-disagrees-with-pat-dyes-assessment

jbcarol

Paul Finebaum ‏@finebaum 1h
Jeff Long on Dye's comments,"I played with my face in the dirt. So I don't know if that makes me any more qualified than Condoleezza Rice.'