Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Portis or Gafford

Started by HAM ELLIOT, November 19, 2017, 09:28:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogfanny

Gafford will likely have to deal with crooked referees with agendas to foul him out come conference play. Look for CMA to have  to limit his playing time to crunch time. Noticed new rule of allowing player to have space or else a foul called. This will
give officials even more ability to determine the outcome of crucial games as in the North Carolina game in last years ncaa tourny.  Only time will tell whether Gafford can avoid fouling out as much as Portis.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Smithian on November 19, 2017, 10:58:42 pm
The expectation level for Gafford is getting way above where it reasonably should be.
You know how it is. Kneejerk reaction society. Gafford has more overall potential by far but Bobby was more polished. Gafford is your classic 5 while Bobby is more like a stretch 4 that can also get you buckets down low.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Pinto

Quote from: SouthTulsaHog on November 20, 2017, 01:53:29 pm
I feel like Gafford could be this year's Robert Williams (from A&M).

Both of them were top-50 recruits coming out of high school, but weren't really on the NBA draft scouts radar. Williams used good early season performances to get noticed and ultimately would've been a first round pick if he had chosen to leave last year. I feel like Gafford can work his way up similarly. Especially at the PK80 tournament. The better our team performs the more exposure we will be sure to get. Hopefully Gafford, like Williams, if in that spot chosen to return for his second season as well.

I know there is a long way to go before we get to that point.

WPS

Spot on. Although, he is more mobile and his motor is a lot better than RWIII. Dan just has to get a better feel of the game like Williams has. Trust me, his career path will definitely be similar to Robert Williams

Smithian

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on November 22, 2017, 07:00:07 am
You know how it is. Kneejerk reaction society. Gafford has more overall potential by far but Bobby was more polished. Gafford is your classic 5 while Bobby is more like a stretch 4 that can also get you buckets down low.
I am not looking forward to him having a 5 point, 3 rebound game against an SEC team and everyone on this board writing him off as exposed.

je100

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on November 20, 2017, 07:58:09 am
Portis could stretch the floor and take you off the dribble hit a step back fall away jumper as a 6'10 Freshmen.

He would have STARTED at Kentucky!!!

I would say Gafford is a more polished Willie Cauley-Stein at this point.

It came to me during the OK game today.  He reminds me a lot of a young Alonzo Mourning.  Not saying he's anywhere near that yet (or ever will be), but his game reminds me quite a bit of Mourning's.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Smithian on November 22, 2017, 07:23:36 am
I am not looking forward to him having a 5 point, 3 rebound game against an SEC team and everyone on this board writing him off as exposed.
I'm not either. Hope it never happens. But if it does. Oh my God I can hear Hogville now.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

bphi11ips

Couldn't believe my eyes. A true center in a Razorbacks uniform. One who looks like a center. For Duke or Kentucky. Was I dreaming after too much turkey?
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

jchill

I think he is more athletic than Portis. He also is very fearless and has a ton of confidence in a good way. It would not surprise me if the team leans on him as the season progresses. In my opinion, he is ahead of Portis at this stage of his career.

rwspear

Quote from: jchill on November 23, 2017, 10:34:07 pm
I think he is more athletic than Portis. He also is very fearless and has a ton of confidence in a good way. It would not surprise me if the team leans on him as the season progresses. In my opinion, he is ahead of Portis at this stage of his career.

theres no question gafford is more athletic. hes the most athletic 5 ive EVER seen at arkansas.

as other posters have said its not a fair comparison. theyre both tall; thats where the comparison should stop.

Pinto

Quote from: rwspear on November 24, 2017, 02:01:56 am
theres no question gafford is more athletic. hes the most athletic 5 ive EVER seen at arkansas.

as other posters have said its not a fair comparison. theyre both tall; thats where the comparison should stop.

Completely different players to compare their game. Gafford has more potential to be drafted higher in the NBA, that's all i will say. And as I've said before and received a lot of criticism, he is already better than Kingsley was last year...

Temprees

Quote from: Smithian on November 20, 2017, 12:23:55 pm
Exactly. He's a freshman. Let's see how responds to getting bullied a few times versus Oklahoma and other top teams. If he plays like an alpha male versus the PK80 field then I'll be ready to declare him better than Portis.

Until then I'll say he has the look of a really good freshman but tearing up Fresno State is not the same as being a lottery pick.
Ok Smithian. Gafford passed the bully test of Oklahoma.  Their game plan was to double-team him.  It didn't work.   

NC Bullies up next.

Beaverfever

He controlled the entire game yesterday.  When he decided he wanted the ball it was his.  All OU could do was swipe at his arms when he came down with the board.  This is what a bonafide blue chip basketball talent looks like. 

FineAsSwine

Gafford's impact on our team is bigger than what Monk would have brought to the table had he came here for one year.
Hogs up! Covid down!

ThisTeetsTaken

Love how he runs the floor. Also, when down low he always finds a way to the rim despite being skinny.  He has more skill than the reports I read coming out of high school.  I'm a fan.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

razorback1829

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on November 24, 2017, 09:09:58 am
Love how he runs the floor. Also, when down low he always finds a way to the rim despite being skinny.  He has more skill than the reports I read coming out of high school.  I'm a fan.

Lol 6'11, 237 with a 7'2 (swear it's longer) wingspan. Not skinny like you think. If you've ever been around him in person, you realize how massive he is.