Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Georgia men’s basketball coaching search

Started by jbcarol, March 10, 2018, 01:36:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Michael Carvell
‏ @Michael_Carvell
5m5 minutes ago

What it might take: The finances of UGA hiring a new basketball coach

QuoteFox was earning $2.15 million per year, making him the third-lowest paid coach in the SEC this season among the 13 public universities. He was being paid more than only Mississippi State's Ben Howland ($2.1 million) and Ole Miss' Andy Kennedy ($2.05 million), with the salary of Vanderbilt's Bryce Drew unavailable because it's a private school.

But the salary scale in the SEC was relatively tight. John Calipari was getting just less than $8 million per year, but otherwise every coach was earning between $2 to $3 million. Alabama's Avery Johnson was the second-highest paid at $2.9 million. (according to USA Today, which compiled and ranked coaching salaries through public records).

Nationally, Calipari is the nation's second-highest paid coach, after Duke's Mike Krzyzewski. Johnson, as the second-highest paid SEC coach, comes in 15th nationally, while most SEC coaches ranked in the top 30. So once you get past the top 15 – mostly the traditional basketball powers – SEC schools were fairly competitive. Fox's salary ranked 42nd nationally.

So what will Georgia have to pay to attract a top-name coach? It likely would have to go higher than what Alabama is paying Johnson.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein
‏Verified account @JonRothstein
9m9 minutes ago

Former Ohio State HC Thad Matta is a serious candidate for the vacancy at Georgia, per multiple sources. Discussions between both sides could begin as early as today.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Michael Carvell
‏ @Michael_Carvell

After visit to Athens, Thad Matta remains main target for UGA

QuoteEvery indication so far is that Matta, who was let go by Ohio State last year, is Georgia's top target to replace Fox. And UGA did not waste any time in setting up a meeting.

Matta was spotted Monday night at the Athens airport by the Athens Banner-Herald, as he was boarding a plane back home to Indianapolis. Earlier in the day, Matta toured UGA's facilities, according to a person familiar with the search.

UGA and Matta have discussed parameters of a potential deal, the person familiar with the search also said.

It doesn't appear that Georgia has interviewed anyone else, and it's not clear if any interviews are set up yet. UGA representatives contacted Tom Crean, the former Indiana and Marquette head coach, but it hasn't gone further than that yet.

Matta was also reportedly at Ole Miss on March 1, but no deal has materialized and Matta's name has not been mentioned much lately in that school's search. Andy Kennedy stepped down as Ole Miss head coach in February.

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein
9h9 hours ago

Georgia has offered its head coaching vacancy to former Ohio State head coach Thad Matta, per multiple sources. Decision expected in the next 24 hours.

jbcarol

Wes Rucker
‏Verified account @wesrucker247
19h19 hours ago

If I'm Georgia, though, I set my sights pretty high to start the search. Not the easiest place to win big, but ... I mean ... it's Georgia. With athletes like that in your backyard, you should be good at everything.

jbcarol

Michael Carvell
‏ @Michael_Carvell

Thad Matta would be great hire for Georgia, but not without concerns

QuoteBut there's a reason Matta is available, so here's some of the not-so-good stuff:

Ohio State beat writers aren't wishy-washy about it. Matta was fired. He was fired because of "a pretty toxic cloud around the program." That wasn't because of any misdeeds, but it was due to declining attendance, eroding recruiting and poor on-court results.

His firing came in June 2017, an odd time considering it's well after the season and in the middle of recruiting. Matta's dismissal came on the heels of 17-15 season and no postseason bid. The Buckeyes won 21 games the season before and lost in the second round of the NIT.

Matta's back problems are/were no joke and seriously impacted his ability to recruit. The back issues date back to high school and have required multiple surgeries. A 2007 surgery damaged a nerve and resulted in what is known as "drop foot" in his right leg. So he walks with a noticeable limp.

Matta's back issues contributed to his demise at Ohio State. The Columbus Dispatch used open records to obtain recruiting logs, which showed Matta's activity on the road decreased every year until he was dismissed. He reportedly was coaching practice in a chair, would lay on his stomach in the locker room at halftime and had a specially made chair on the Buckeyes' sideline that was higher and easier for him to get out of.

And that's where the big IF comes in.

If Matta has sufficiently recovered from his back problems and can handle all the physical demands that come with job — hey, don't discount traveling and sitting in rental cars, on airplanes and in high school gymnasiums — this is what one would call the proverbial home run hire. He's a Final Four coach who has thrived in the most competitive college basketball environments in the country and he's 50. If he wants to come to Georgia, you can't pass on him.

That said, personally, I've never known anyone who has had "successful" back surgery.

husker71

well like Nixon    tanned, rested and ready to go.   

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman
‏Verified account @GoodmanESPN
7h7 hours ago

Thad Matta on spurning Georgia: "It was the most difficult decision because Georgia is a tremendous opportunity for a coach to build a great program. Unfortunately, I just don't feel that I am completely ready at this point to give Greg McGarity and Georgia what they deserve."

husker71

Somebody will and needs to hire Tubby.  I am not saying a big school or a successful program but he is still better than a lot of these others.  By the way I was for Memphis trying to hire Penny.  In this day and age he will sell the hell out of that program.  Cant wait to see who all these coaches hire as assistants. 

husker71

Doug Wojcik out a Charleston.  At one time I thought he was going to be a special coach.  Fired with cause for being verbally abusive. 

jbcarol

Seth Emerson
‏ @SethWEmerson

Again, not a done deal yet between Tom Crean and Georgia, but very close.

jbcarol

Adrian Wojnarowski
‏Verified account @wojespn

Tom Crean is finalizing an agreement to become the next coach at Georgia, sources tell ESPN.

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein
54m54 minutes ago

Georgia's official announcement of Tom Crean as head coach could come as early as tonight or by Friday, per multiple sources.