Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dan Mullen Why not this guy?

Started by scaldedhog, September 27, 2017, 09:36:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

scaldedhog

What could he do with our facilities?
Make Arkansas Football great again

PorkRinds

Probably because there's a snowball's chance in hell that he comes here.

ricepig

Quote from: scaldedhog on September 27, 2017, 09:36:25 am

I don't know, is he an architect or engineer?

scaldedhog

You may be right but throw that cash and see.

jacobp

Finish with an above .500 SEC record like he's done exactly 1 time at Miss State?

scaldedhog

Quote from: ricepig on September 27, 2017, 09:37:48 am
I don't know, is he an architect or engineer?
He seems to have designed and built a pretty good at STARKVILLE

PorkRinds

Quote from: scaldedhog on September 27, 2017, 09:39:03 am

You writing a check to cover some of it?

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 27, 2017, 09:37:01 am
Probably because there's a snowball's chance in hell that he comes here.
Right. He aint comin here
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

razorbackfaninar

I posted this another thread, but I think it's relevant here.  I looked this up the other day because I thought, like most people I knew that Dan Mullen must be some kind of football wizard to be able to have so much success at State.  I was originally trying to show how successful he had been but after looking at it I think he might be a bit overblown

These are all of his wins going back to 2008.  Arguably his best conference win is against us when we were 5-3 in conference.  The rest of his conference wins since 2008 are against teams with a losing or even conference records.   If you take away the non-conference wins, here is who he has beaten since 2008:  Arkansas (x3), Vanderbilt (x2), Kentucky (x7), Ole Miss (x4), Texas A&M (x2) South Carolina(x1) LSU (x1) Auburn (x2).  You can look at the list below. There are wins there, but there aren't many quality wins to be found.  Of course he's doing it at State so perhaps he should get some credit for that.

2008: 4/12:  SLL, Middle Tennessee, Arkansas (2-6 in SEC) 

2009: 5/12:  Jackson State, Vanderbilt, Middle Tennessee, Kentucky, Ole Miss (4-4 in conference)

2010: 9/13:  Memphis, Georgia (3-5 in SEC play), Alcorn State, Houston, Florida (4-4 in SEC play), Kentucky, Ole Miss (1/7 in conference Win over Kentucky), Michigan (7-6, 3-5 in Big 10)

2011: 7/13:  Memphis, LA Tech, UAB, Kentucky, UT Martin, Ole Miss (0-8 in conference)

2012: 8/13: Jackson State, Auburn (0-8 in sec play), Troy, South Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee (1-7 in conference play) Arkansas (2-6 in conference)

2013:  7/13:  Alcorn State, Troy, Bowling Green, Kentucky, Arkansas (0-8 in conference), Ole Miss (3-5 in conference), Rice

2014: 10/13:  Southern Miss, UAB, South Alabama, LSU(4-4 in SEC), Texas A&M (3-5 in SEC), Auburn (4-4 in SEC), Kentucky, Arkansas (2-6 in SEC play), UT Martin, Vanderbilt 

2015:  9/13:  Southern Miss, Northwestern Demons, Auburn (2-6 in SEC play), Troy, Louisiana Tech, Kentucky, Missouri (1-7 in conference), Arkansas (5-3 in conference play), NC State

2016:  6/13:  South Carolina (3-5 in sec play), UMASS, Samford, Texas A&M (4-4 in SEC play), Ole Miss (2-6 in conference play), Miami of Ohio

RazorPiggie

Facilities doesn't matter. Players do.

Plus he is 30-36 in SEC games.

Tweeter

I like Mullen.....I think he would be solid.

ricepig

Quote from: scaldedhog on September 27, 2017, 09:41:37 am
   He seems to have designed and built a pretty good at STARKVILLE

Maybe we need one of those "good"??

scaldedhog

Quote from: ricepig on September 27, 2017, 10:56:17 am
Maybe we need one of those "good"??
Asking an honest question but you insist on being an A$$

Inhogswetrust

He's at an Adidas program......................just saying.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: scaldedhog on September 27, 2017, 09:39:03 am

Easy to say since it isn't your cash you want to throw.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

code red

"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

KlubhouseKonnected

Miss St. has had incredible patience with Mullen
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

ricepig

Quote from: scaldedhog on September 27, 2017, 11:04:16 am
  Asking an honest question but you insist on being an A$$

I guess you've missed the thirtyeleven other threads on Mullen, and his possibilities here? If so, I apologize, it's been discussed often.

TrueBlue

Quote from: RazorPiggie on September 27, 2017, 09:45:56 am

20 more games won in SEC play than Bert. (I know, he has been there three more years...but there is no way CBB catches up to that)

sickboy

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on September 27, 2017, 11:08:23 am
Miss St. has had incredible patience with Mullen

Yeah, there were lots of people calling for Mullen to be let go a few years back. Now he's riding high. I'm not saying Bielema is Mullen. What I will say is that Mullen has been fortunate to get two once in a lifetime QBs back to back at a school that doesn't usually get those guys.

Let's see what happens when Mullen doesn't have those QBs. Fans will turn on him as soon as he doesn't produce.

Wildhog

Quote from: sickboy on September 27, 2017, 11:11:48 am
Yeah, there were lots of people calling for Mullen to be let go a few years back. Now he's riding high. I'm not saying Bielema is Mullen. What I will say is that Mullen has been fortunate to get two once in a lifetime QBs back to back at a school that doesn't usually get those guys.

Let's see what happens when Mullen doesn't have those QBs. Fans will turn on him as soon as he doesn't produce.

Dan Mullen is the REASON for those great QB's.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

RME

Quote from: Wildhog on September 27, 2017, 11:12:46 am

Yep.

QB coach at Utah 2003-2004: Had a QB named Alex Smith. Still in the League today and playing very well.
OC/QB coach at Florida 2005-2008: Had guys named Chris Leak, Tim Tebow and even...Cam Newton.

Then, of course, Dak.

Dude's track record with QBs is very impressive.

rzrbaxfan

Quote from: TrueBlue on September 27, 2017, 11:11:23 am
20 more games won in SEC play than Bert. (I know, he has been there three more years...but there is no way CBB catches up to that)

Mullen's SEC win percentage in the first 5 years at MSU is equal to Bret's SEC win percentage if you exclude year 1.

Wildhog

Quote from: rzrbaxfan on September 27, 2017, 11:36:50 am
Mullen's SEC win percentage in the first 5 years at MSU is equal to Bret's SEC win percentage if you exclude year 1.

Ok, so exclude Mullen's worst year and recalculate.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ShadowHawg

He lacks emotional intelligence. This is what held HDN back and hurts our current coach as well.

No thanks.

Atlhogfan1

Mullen needs to get out ahead of the NCAA.  Just a matter of time till they are on probation again.  OM will help see to it.  One of the downsides of having an in state rival. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

rzrbaxfan

September 27, 2017, 12:05:58 pm #26 Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 12:18:01 pm by rzrbaxfan
Quote from: Wildhog on September 27, 2017, 11:37:27 am
Ok, so exclude Mullen's worst year and recalculate.

Interesting request....

Here's what I have on Mullen
Overall 48%
Overall minus worst year 45%

If you truly want to compare, I get 40% on Bret if we look at first 5 years (4 full years and what little we have on this year) minus his worst (first) year.  Do the same for Mullen (first 5 years, exclude his worst year...third) and you are looking at 43%.

Mullen's first (and only) year above .500 in SEC play was year 6, followed by 3 years of .500 or less.  Bret's first (and only) year above .500 in SEC play was year 3 followed by 1 year of .500 or less.

Honestly, over a long period of time, these two coaches give you 3-5 to 5-3 SEC records with the possibility of an occasional 6-2 if the ball bounces your way once or twice.  I know it won't be the popular opinion here, but I'd rather give BB the time that Mullen has been given and see if he can get us to 6-2 before I'd throw money at another average coach.

Pig in the Pokey

dude, HELL NO. He is like 3-60 vs top 25 teams
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

31to6

Quote from: Tweeter on September 27, 2017, 10:53:23 am
I like Mullen.....I think he would be solid.
Solid won't get it done.

We need great. We need genius.

Hiring a solid coach will Grobe us into another decade of mediocrity.

I'd rather take a swing at getting a Broyles, Holtz or Petrino again. The nice thing about higher-risk hires is you don't have to give them $18M buyouts and you can boot them as soon as it is clear they don't have it.

go hogues

Lateral move at best.

Potential for easier recruiting at MSU.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

GoHogzzGo

We are not a big enough program to steal him away at this point. I would take him in a heartbeat given what he has done there.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

jacobp

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 27, 2017, 12:43:23 pm
He going to retire at MSU!
Will you retire from calling into sports radio and embarrassing us all ?

longpig

Don't be scared, be smart.

TNRazorbacker

Why would Dan Mullen make that move? Would make no sense. When he leaves it will be to a school that regularly competes for championships.

sickboy

Quote from: Wildhog on September 27, 2017, 11:12:46 am

Oh no doubt. But they can't all turn out like Prescott and Fitzgerald or we would know who Tyson Lee, Chris Relf, or Tyler Russell are. I don't care how great a coach you are -- you can't just churn out once-in-a-lifetime talent every year. No matter how good a developer of talent you are, you're going to get a player who doesn't live up to his potential.

I'm not saying Dan Mullen isn't a fantastic coach. I'm just saying that the fans will turn on him when he can't produce the next Prescott or Fitzgerald.

Wildhog

Quote from: sickboy on September 27, 2017, 01:44:20 pm
Oh no doubt. But they can't all turn out like Prescott and Fitzgerald or we would know who Tyson Lee, Chris Relf, or Tyler Russell are. I don't care how great a coach you are -- you can't just churn out once-in-a-lifetime talent every year. No matter how good a developer of talent you are, you're going to get a player who doesn't live up to his potential.

I'm not saying Dan Mullen isn't a fantastic coach. I'm just saying that the fans will turn on him when he can't produce the next Prescott or Fitzgerald.

Man, Cole Kelley would thrive in a Mullen offense.

Also, Chris Relf was pretty good, IIRC.
1909/1964/1965/1977

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: rzrbaxfan on September 27, 2017, 12:05:58 pm
Interesting request....

Here's what I have on Mullen
Overall 48%
Overall minus worst year 45%

If you truly want to compare, I get 40% on Bret if we look at first 5 years (4 full years and what little we have on this year) minus his worst (first) year.  Do the same for Mullen (first 5 years, exclude his worst year...third) and you are looking at 43%.

Mullen's first (and only) year above .500 in SEC play was year 6, followed by 3 years of .500 or less.  Bret's first (and only) year above .500 in SEC play was year 3 followed by 1 year of .500 or less.

Honestly, over a long period of time, these two coaches give you 3-5 to 5-3 SEC records with the possibility of an occasional 6-2 if the ball bounces your way once or twice.  I know it won't be the popular opinion here, but I'd rather give BB the time that Mullen has been given and see if he can get us to 6-2 before I'd throw money at another average coach.

It is also worth noting that his one year above .500 who he beat in conference: LSU who was 4/4 in SEC play, Texas A&M  who was 3-5 in SEC play, Auburn  4-4 in SEC, Kentucky 2/8 in SEC, Arkansas we were 2/6 in SEC play, Vanderbilt 0/8 in SEC. So if this is his best year in the SEC, his best win that year was with LSU or Auburn both of whom were 4/4 in conference.  Mullen benefits from a weaker than average schedule most years.  He is a great QB developer, but not an elite coach.   

DeltaBoy

Dan better than most at turning them out.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

sickboy

Quote from: Wildhog on September 27, 2017, 01:45:34 pm
Man, Cole Kelley would thrive in a Mullen offense.

Also, Chris Relf was pretty good, IIRC.

Yes, he certainly would. And yeah, Relf was good. Even Russell had moments. Honestly, anyone Mullen finds is going to have moments at worst.

Sweet Feet

You guys are making a deal about the conference record, but you guys are forgetting one crucial thing: this is MISSISSIPPI STATE we are talking about. Miss St has only had 7 winning conference records in 50 years before Mullen came.

lstewart

Mullen is a good coach, but not a miracle worker. He probably has done about as well at Miss State as anyone can reasonably be expected to do. That same scenario would apply here. He would probably average around 7-5, maybe jumping up to 9-3 every so often. Don't know why he would come here, unless the wheels come off at Miss State and we were the best offer at the time. I think his salary is higher than what we are paying, so would probably have to really spend some serious cash.

razorbackfaninar

I get that it's Mississippi State and that they have some inherent disadvantages, but I still see Mullen as a good head coach and a great QB coach, but I still think his record such as it is doesn't show that he is an elite coach.  He wins games you would expect him to win, and he loses games he should lose.   Everyone got excited this year when they throttled LSU, but it looks like as of right now LSU is just not very good.

EDIT:  I forgot to quote the post I was replying to, and I'm not sure how to delete posts

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: Sweet Feet on September 27, 2017, 03:32:29 pm
You guys are making a deal about the conference record, but you guys are forgetting one crucial thing: this is MISSISSIPPI STATE we are talking about. Miss St has only had 7 winning conference records in 50 years before Mullen came.

I get that it's Mississippi State and that they have some inherent disadvantages, but I still see Mullen as a good head coach and a great QB coach, but I still think his record such as it is doesn't show that he is an elite coach.  He wins games you would expect him to win, and he loses games he should lose.   Everyone got excited this year when they throttled LSU, but it looks like as of right now LSU is just not very good.

Sweet Feet

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on September 27, 2017, 03:46:13 pm

Now i won't say he's elite. He's not in the same boat as someone like Bill Snyder with the worst program alltime, but he has done decent things at miss st. MSU hasn't had 6 straight winning seasons since the 40s. Not to mention never being ranked #1 and in control of their destiny to a playoff/national title appearance. He does have mediocre seasons though...

WizardofhOgZ

Surprised no one has mentioned the obvious . . . whether he would or wouldn't be interested, he's almost certainly precluded from considering other SEC offers by his cmployment contract.  Since we let Nutt jump over to Ole Miss a decade ago, it's become pretty common place for all contracts to have language that won't allow them to go to another job in the same conference.

BigK_HogHeaven

Quote from: TrueBlue on September 27, 2017, 11:11:23 am

So you'll settle for a 45% conference win percentage?? Not that it matters, I'm sure Mullins has a non-compete and he has no reason to want to leave one bottom of the SEC West team for another.

BigK_HogHeaven

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on September 27, 2017, 04:16:48 pm
Surprised no one has mentioned the obvious . . . whether he would or wouldn't be interested, he's almost certainly precluded from considering other SEC offers by his cmployment contract.  Since we let Nutt jump over to Ole Miss a decade ago, it's become pretty common place for all contracts to have language that won't allow them to go to another job in the same conference.

My thoughts exactly!

Cave City Joe

What makes you think we are getting a new coach?
"When you're part of a team, you stand up for your teammates. Your loyalty is to them. You protect them through good and bad, because they'd do the same for you."  <br />Yogi Berra

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: RazorPiggie on September 27, 2017, 09:45:56 am

30-36 is amazing at Miss State