Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Need some info on Destin, FL. area

Started by V. V. Hawg, June 07, 2006, 08:05:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

V. V. Hawg

I pretty much know about shopping, the restaurants, Big Kahuna's, the beach and some of the golf courses (where I spend a lot of time in the beaches).  I want to know about the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola or the must do things there.  The Gulfaranium (something like that) in Fort Walton and any other things that are within a hour or two of Destin that are worth the $$$ to spend a day at.  I got in trouble with my family for playing too much golf last year and I'm trying to do something about it.  Thanks in advance.

Big Papa Satan

Never went to anything like that the times I went to Destin back when I was fourteen.

Mainly the days were spent lying on the beach and hitting on college girls in thongs.

proffitthog

The Naval museum was really great, we went there on the way home not thinking much about it and it turned out to be one of the best things we did highly highly recommend it. If you haven't been to the gulfarium its nice. there is also something like it in panama city beach that's pretty nice. Deep sea fishing on a charter is great. Shell Island in Panama city beach is fun take something to eat and umbrella and chairs and drinks but there are literally millions of shells. Eat at the Back Porch at least once on your trip. If you want one high class place to eat the restaurant at the inn at crystal beach is really good but expensive a family of four you will spend 250.00 bucks. but it is really good.

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: DezPigNutts on June 08, 2006, 04:03:24 pmDeep sea fishing on a charter is great.

Indeed.  I love it.  Red Snapper are fun to catch.

Lanny

Destin, Fl

One of my favorite places to visit. 
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

testis

the naval aviation museum was awesome!!  i could spend all day in there!!  the gulfarium was ok but i was expecting a little better!! i recommend going on a sunset dolphin cruise!!  my fiancée and i both loved it!!  i also recommend capt. daves on the gulf!! its got a beautiful view and i had some awesome surf and turf!!  the best beach in the area has got to be navarre beach!!  ivan kicked its a$$ but it has since recovered!!  i heard they dredged the beach so it should look beautiful!!  have fun!!

JIHawg

Eat at the Back Porch.  At Sandestin Resort, which is just east of Destin, is a wonderful place to stay.  We stay at the Beachside towers, which gives us a view of the Ocean from the deck, a beach, and I won't mention the 4 golf courses.  There is bike riding over the entire complex, which is fun, and some water activities.  There is a complex of shops, eating places and bars on the property too that the whole family will enjoy.

You might drive to Seaside, which is a neat beach community about an hour east of Destin.  Grayson Beach, 30 minutes east of Destin, was named the #1 public beach in America by some travel mag.  There is a state park associated with it.

Did I mention eating at the back porch?

The ships at Mobile after the tunnel are fun to go visit.  You can go in a submarine and other stuff.

Lando Calrissian

Did Florabama ever get rebuilt after the hurricane(s)?
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

Big Papa Satan

Yeah, I think so.  Did you see the foto's after it was hit?  That deck outside was obliterated, and there was a foot of sand on the first floor.

FloraBama's a fun place, though. 

http://florabama.com/

proffitthog

chillinhoggie

Grayson beach State Park is cool just up the road is a town called Watercolor and it is where they filmed the Truman show..... Snapperheads and the Red Bar are local hangouts where you get treated right.... well we did anyway.

HogISH™

naval musem is neat... don't drink a bunch before you go that dang ship is big and you can get lost... if florabama is rebuilt it's a good stop on the way.. just before it you have the orange beach outlet mall...

cross the toll bridge and navara and right on the corner is the tiki hut.. daytime parasale, jet ski and such and great night life...

HogISH
|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|...BEER   TRUCK..........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -|
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)

Hogville Trash Can Moderator - my theme song:

Isn't it rich, isn't it queer
Losing my timing this late in my career  And where are the clowns  Quick send in the clowns  Don't bother they're here.

Boarcephus

Just got back from our yearly pilgrammage to Sandestin and Beachside Towers II.  Been going 20 years and will go another 20. 

Never quite saw the infatuation of the Back Porch.  The setting is beautiful but the food, IMO, is mediocre at best.   Try Harbor Docks (across from Sextons Seafood) for lunch, the Ocean Club at Top'Sail between 5:30 and 6 for their 2 for 1 menu (plush place, great food and a couple can go for $40-50), and if you want to just eat, head on east of Sandestin to Bayou Bills.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

testis

Quote from: HogISH™ on June 14, 2006, 08:17:16 am
cross the toll bridge and navara and right on the corner is the tiki hut.. daytime parasale, jet ski and such and great night life...

you dont have to pay a toll to get to navarre anymore!!  the bridge was paid for about 2 years ago so they took down the toll booths!!  awesome!!

Lanny

This will be the first summer in 16 years I am not visiting Destin.  Heading to Myrtle Beach July 1st.
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

arkiehawg

Quote from: chillinhoggie on June 13, 2006, 11:12:10 am
Grayson beach State Park is cool just up the road is a town called Watercolor and it is where they filmed the Truman show..... Snapperheads and the Red Bar are local hangouts where you get treated right.... well we did anyway.

Actually, Seaside is where they filmed Truman....right next to Watercolor.

Grayton Beach, Seaside, Watercolor all on beautiful Hwy 30A, about 30 minutes East of Destin, depending on traffic.  Hwy 30A is well worth the travel....beautiful scenery.

I would recommend an evening at Sandestin's Baytowne with the family.  Several restaurants on the Bay side from reasonable pricing to very expensive.  There is lots of live music and plenty of lights.....lots of fun.  They also have pizza and ice cream for cheaper fare.....

Naval Museum and Eglin Armorment ?sp museums are great.  Gulfarium, not so spectacular, but I've been to Sea World.....  For shopping.....Silver Sands in Sandestin is a must.  About 200+ shops in an outlet mall. 

Send me a PM for additional information.  I live in Santa Rosa Beach (on Hwy 30A) 1/2 way between Destin and Panama City Beach.....

Have a great time on the Emerald Coast!

Hurricane season is here! :(

V. V. Hawg

chillinhoggie

Quote from: arkiehawg on June 19, 2006, 05:12:40 pm
Quote from: chillinhoggie on June 13, 2006, 11:12:10 am

Actually, Seaside is where they filmed Truman....right next to Watercolor.

Grayton Beach, Seaside, Watercolor all on beautiful Hwy 30A, about 30 minutes East of Destin, depending on traffic.  Hwy 30A is well worth the travel....beautiful scenery.

I would recommend an evening at Sandestin's Baytowne with the family.  Several restaurants on the Bay side from reasonable pricing to very expensive.  There is lots of live music and plenty of lights.....lots of fun.  They also have pizza and ice cream for cheaper fare.....

Naval Museum and Eglin Armorment ?sp museums are great.  Gulfarium, not so spectacular, but I've been to Sea World.....  For shopping.....Silver Sands in Sandestin is a must.  About 200+ shops in an outlet mall. 

Send me a PM for additional information.  I live in Santa Rosa Beach (on Hwy 30A) 1/2 way between Destin and Panama City Beach.....

Have a great time on the Emerald Coast!

Hurricane season is here! :(
Oops your right... for some reason I couldn't bring up Seaside... both are really nice. We stayed at Blue Mountain Beach. Very comfortable.

arkiehawg

Oops your right... for some reason I couldn't bring up Seaside... both are really nice. We stayed at Blue Mountain Beach. Very comfortable.
[/quote]

Actually, I live at Blue Mountain Beach.....The mailing address is Santa Rosa Beach.....Holler' if you come back down. ;D