Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Again...not enough respect

Started by lynbug, February 20, 2018, 10:53:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

lynbug

ESPN still got us in the "work to do" category.....in spite of us having better ratings (sor, SOS, bpi, etc) than some above us.  It starts tonight.

jst01

Quote from: lynbug on February 20, 2018, 10:53:10 am
ESPN still got us in the "work to do" category.....in spite of us having better ratings (sor, SOS, bpi, etc) than some above us.  It starts tonight.

Look at it like this - if Hogs were to lose tonight to Kentucky, what is the likely way they finish the last three games after that? 

So really the season is still up in the air. Win tonight and you could beat Auburn and lose the away games and be OK to slide in the tourney. Lose tonight and you could lose the final three and would be missing the tourney.  I agree that the Hogs still have work to do and tonights game is a huge chunk of work.

Breems

There's not much difference in Should Be In and Work To Do for the SEC.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Piggage

The same article says we're "solidly in the field heading into the season's final weeks." I don't think the "Work to do" category means you won't make it if you continue on the trajectory you're on and that you'd better step up your game.

The top teams are in even if they don't win another game. I think they're just saying Arkansas couldn't lose out and still make it.

lynbug

Quote from: Piggage on February 20, 2018, 11:36:01 am
The same article says we're "solidly in the field heading into the season's final weeks." I don't think the "Work to do" category means you won't make it if you continue on the trajectory you're on and that you'd better step up your game.

The top teams are in even if they don't win another game. I think they're just saying Arkansas couldn't lose out and still make it.
it still makes for some end of season drama.

BoarEd

I think this team should set its sights on an outright SEC title. Which means beating Kentucky and Auburn at home. Shoot for the SEC title and tournament stuff will take care of itself.

Need for Tennessee to lose one more game than we do. I'm not worried a bit about Auburn considering they lost their big and are down to 8 players. Arkansas is sure to jump them in the standings IMO. Go get Kentucky!

rljjr

Just win tonight. That's all. 40 minutes of focus.

USChog

Yeah win tonight and Hogs are good. What I like is that our next 4 opponents should be NCAA bound. This helps our resume, and it also helps us gear up for the tournament. Playing these teams only helps us. 

lynbug

Quote from: rljjr on February 20, 2018, 12:15:58 pm
Just win tonight. That's all. 40 minutes of focus.
40 minutes of FOCUS.   That needs to be our new mantra .

99toLife

Quote from: lynbug on February 20, 2018, 01:25:51 pm
40 minutes of FOCUS.   That needs to be our new mantra .
I would settle for 35 minutes of focus..  ;)

razobak

Think of it this way -- if we were to lose the rest of our games, including our first game in the SECT, would we make the tournament? That's what it means when they say "work left to do". It's not that they don't think we will make it. It's not a "What if the season ended today?" For the locks, they could lose the rest of their games this season and still make the tourney. For the "should be in" category, they could lose the rest of their games this season and they would still probably make it, but could possibly get bumped out if some other bubble teams get hot. For the "work left to do" category, if they lost the rest of their games there would be serious doubt about them making the tourney.

That's why I'm not as upset at them still having us in the "work left to do" category. Our nonconference resume is looking less and less impressive with each loss by UConn, Oklahoma, and Minnesota. Our conference record is pretty good, but if we went 0-5 to finish the season we'd have a 8-10 conference record and would be 5-11 or 5-12 in our Q1 games. That would be an NIT resume if there ever was one. I don't think this will happen, but if it did, that would be the end result.
Go Hogs, Beat Refs!

Beaverfever

Our resume just lacks a couple things to be a lock.  It lacks another top 25 type win, a top 50ish win on the road, and ideally a marquee win.  We don't have to get all of those to make the tournament but we need one of them at least.  Luckily the remaining schedule provides the opportunity to get wins in all of those categories. 

The_Iceman

The last time this team wanted more respect, they lost 4 of 5 games.

lynbug

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 20, 2018, 02:04:09 pm
I'm pretty sure we were all trying to forget that fact.  We can always hope for more of the last few weeks (final score, that is).

HogFaninMemphis

Welp, here's hoping the team does the opposite this time.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

Letsroll1200

The_Iceman

Quote from: HogFaninMemphis on February 20, 2018, 02:33:18 pm
Welp, here's hoping the team does the opposite this time.

I hope we stop begging for respect, and just got out and earn it.

FineAsSwine

Good that they aren't talking about being disrespected now. Less talking and more doing, that's how to get respect.
Hogs up! Covid down!

99toLife

Never did understand this respect thing on Hogville.  Win and move on...

razorback1829

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 20, 2018, 02:50:55 pm

Yup. We have the schedule to take it right now. Tonite is big.

OkieBack

Quote from: razorback1829 on February 20, 2018, 02:59:40 pm
Yup. We have the schedule to take it right now. Tonite is big.

I'm not as dire about tonight.  Would I like the Hogs to whip Kentucky?  You bet.  Do I think it is a must?  Nope.  But I do think the hogs need to win at least three more games total (including SECT).   Less than that I think they will be called a bubble team and could get a crappy seed in the tourney.  Win 4 or 5 more games here on out and I think they could get a decent seed (i.e. NOT an 8-9).

So to heck with the whole "no respect" talk.  Just go out and improve on your play  Get the defense going.  Get the bench rolling.  TCB baby!!!

Beaverfever

Quote from: OkieBack on February 20, 2018, 03:11:57 pm
I'm not as dire about tonight.  Would I like the Hogs to whip Kentucky?  You bet.  Do I think it is a must?  Nope.  But I do think the hogs need to win at least three more games total (including SECT).   Less than that I think they will be called a bubble team and could get a crappy seed in the tourney.  Win 4 or 5 more games here on out and I think they could get a decent seed (i.e. NOT an 8-9).

So to heck with the whole "no respect" talk.  Just go out and improve on your play  Get the defense going.  Get the bench rolling.  TCB baby!!!
It's all semantics.  Every game is bigger than the last, particularly when you already have 8 losses.  Tonight is huge.  Then the Bama game is huger. 

Pyotr Tchaikhogsky

The entire sports world is gun shy when it comes to giving Arkansas respect, in any sport.  As soon as they relent and think, oh yeah maybe they are pretty good?!  That's usually when we lose. 

Hell, it happened earlier this season.  We kept wondering when we were gonna finally get some respect and get into the polls.  As soon as we were ranked?  Losing streak.

1998 football season, same thing.  8-0 going into the Tennessee game, having finally creeped into the top 10, at number 8.  Stoernover.  Ugly game the next week in Starkville.  No more Atlanta.

A couple years ago in baseball.  We made it all the way up to #1 in the polls (well, at least one poll) and then we got swept that weekend.

We're good at scratching and clawing our way up to toe the line of deserving respect, only to slip on the proverbial banana peel.
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink.  When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."  -Frank Sinatra

razorback1829

Quote from: OkieBack on February 20, 2018, 03:11:57 pm

This is just about taking respect. Win the next 4 and you might just win a conference championship. Now that's taking it.

OkieBack

Quote from: razorback1829 on February 20, 2018, 03:42:59 pm
This is just about taking respect. Win the next 4 and you might just win a conference championship. Now that's taking it.

Until the Hogs win an SEC title or get to the Final 4 again I think there will always be bias against em.  Call it East Coast bias...call it disrespect.  Whatever.  Win at least 3 more games and regardless of what ESPN says then they will be a team that has to be reckoned with in the tournament.

razorback1829

Quote from: OkieBack on February 20, 2018, 04:12:50 pm
Until the Hogs win an SEC title or get to the Final 4 again I think there will always be bias against em.  Call it East Coast bias...call it disrespect.  Whatever.  Win at least 3 more games and regardless of what ESPN says then they will be a team that has to be reckoned with in the tournament.

Exactly.. win these next 4 and you might win the regular season SEC crown

synthartist69

We are in the work to do category because we have work to do.

farmhawg

earn it.....
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

31to6

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 20, 2018, 02:50:55 pm
Agree. People respect banners. We haven't hung a Final 4 banner since '95 and we haven't been in the S-16 in over 20 years.

Want respect?

Win.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: 31to6 on February 20, 2018, 05:18:02 pm
Agree. People respect banners. We haven't hung a Final 4 banner since '95 and we haven't been in the S-16 in over 20 years.

Want respect?

Win.

This. Just go win!

Pigasaurus

Want respect?

Win.
Yep.  Well said.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

Atlhogfan1

Every time this program has had a chance to earn it in this era, its fallen flat on its face.  UNC last NCAAT was closest we've been to getting back to relevancy. That has lost the attention of outsiders and made it harder to earn their respect. A chance again to start changing the narrative.  A&M started a run of 5 straight vs NCAAT teams.  Keep winning. We are all past ready for it to happen. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

mykidsdad

Want respect?

Win.

Yeah that and we haven't been cheating our asses off for the last 20 years as some schools have been. It will come out soon btw.

jbigs77

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 20, 2018, 05:47:53 pm
Every time this program has had a chance to earn it in this era, its fallen flat on its face.  UNC last NCAAT was closest we've been to getting back to relevancy. That has lost the attention of outsiders and made it harder to earn their respect. A chance again to start changing the narrative.  A&M started a run of 5 straight vs NCAAT teams.  Keep winning. We are all past ready for it to happen.
yea UNC ref ripoff. kind of like a lot of other SEC games including football.

hogsmash12

Quote from: jbigs77 on February 20, 2018, 06:38:53 pm
yea UNC ref ripoff. kind of like a lot of other SEC games including football.

Agree with all this....we've had a few opportunities to break through the ice and couldn't do it...,side note just realized west Virginia seen as a 4th seed and has identical record to hogs....hmmmmm

3kgthog

What gives us the right to complain about respect? Our best win was OU and the wheels have fallen off the schooner. I guess we'd now say UT is our best win, but I will sell any team coached by Barnes.

oldbooniehog

So, with Kentucky up 15 late in Bud Walton, does that hurt or help our national respect?

Pyotr Tchaikhogsky

Quote from: Pyotr Tchaikhogsky on February 20, 2018, 03:36:20 pm
We're good at scratching and clawing our way up to toe the line of deserving respect, only to slip on the proverbial banana peel.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink.  When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."  -Frank Sinatra

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

returntoglory

I hate these threads. We always complain about respect and go lay eggs. Then when we win 2 in a row, we think we are going to the sweet 16. People get way too carried away way too quickly.

elksnort

Well maybe losing by 15 to a not-so-great Kentucky team might have something to do with it

BassinHawg

And now we see first hand why! Others are not looking through Rose colored glasses!
"It is what it is." has replaced "Yesssss Sirrrrr!!!!"

LR_Matt

It ended tonight as well....

hogsanity

You don't get respect from having a 4 game win streak against the 3 bottom teams in the league plus a A&M team that has once again fallen off the cliff. You get it by beating KY team AT HOME, especially when you start out up 11-0 and have the ball, not by ending up losing by 15.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

cram224

Quote from: mykidsdad on February 20, 2018, 05:50:23 pm
Yeah that and we haven't been cheating our asses off for the last 20 years as some schools have been. It will come out soon btw.
Running a clean program is MA excuse of not working hard on the recruiting trail. Louisville had to vacate their NC, but you know the fans got to enjoy the run they had and the players get to keep their rings. I'd love to taste again what it's like to win a NC. Don't care if they that it away 4 or 5 years down the road. I still view L'ville as the NC.

jst01

Quote from: cram224 on February 21, 2018, 09:29:08 am
Running a clean program is MA excuse of not working hard on the recruiting trail. Louisville had to vacate their NC, but you know the fans got to enjoy the run they had and the players get to keep their rings. I'd love to taste again what it's like to win a NC. Don't care if they that it away 4 or 5 years down the road. I still view L'ville as the NC.

Well you are a weirdo.  I'd be embarrassed to wear a Louisville basketball shirt in public after the stuff their program did just to win some games.

5ACentral

Quote from: oldbooniehog on February 20, 2018, 09:57:39 pm
So, with Kentucky up 15 late in Bud Walton, does that hurt or help our national respect?
Hmmm. Let me see now... In one's home environment and with a better record than KY before the game started, our loss HURT more than most think. Heck, we were way down the list on 'others listed' in the 2 main polls, so the pollsters smelled that the U of A was NOT as good as their record might indicate. We barely won a couple of games because of poor play and coaching that we should have won going away. A win is a win means nothing.. Winning by 10 points is definitely better than by 1. I think the Razors lose at least 2 of the next 3 games. 4 seniors need to STEP UP with only 5-6 games left in their career.  :'(

cram224

Quote from: jst01 on February 21, 2018, 09:33:41 am
Well you are a weirdo.  I'd be embarrassed to wear a Louisville basketball shirt in public after the stuff their program did just to win some games.
I bet if you meet one of the players from that team, they would proudly show you their ring. It's getting hard to wear a Arkansas basketball shirt outside the state.

hogsanity

Quote from: cram224 on February 21, 2018, 10:15:30 am
I bet if you meet one of the players from that team, they would proudly show you their ring. It's getting hard to wear a Arkansas basketball shirt outside the state.

What is funny is we have posters who say do what ever it takes to win in football, if you aint cheating you ait trying, etc, then they want to use running a clean program as an excuse for not winning.

And there is no way that every team that is better in basketball than the Hogs is cheating. They just have better coaches and those better coaches get better players.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

lynbug

I'm a little embarrassed  by my OP today.   But I will try to stay hopeful....even though our options are shrinking .