Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Joe Klein as AD?

Started by harrisburghog, November 21, 2017, 05:38:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Inhogswetrust

I know Joe. Great guy. His tweet on Nov 15 says it all. It doesn't surprise me at all that Wally wold suggest him and/or Scanlon.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Torqued pork

November 21, 2017, 06:18:20 am #2 Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 11:01:44 am by Torqued pork
In other words, Wally' has nothing.

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 21, 2017, 06:00:55 am
I know Joe. Great guy. His tweet on Nov 15 says it all. It doesn't surprise me at all that Wally wold suggest him and/or Scanlon.

Well, Wally did say that Tuberville was a really good analyst in TV........... :-\

NaturalStateReb

"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

ricepig

sowmonella

Kevin, Joe or TT....none will be the AD.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

SquidBilly

Joe Klein would definitely be the tallest AD in the country.  Don't know enough about him outside of his basketball experience to make a judgment on him as AD though.

The NewEra

I do believe Joe was supporting Jimmy Dykes letting his girls kneel during the National Anthem.  That didn't and won't sit well with many of us veterans in Arkansas.

HF#1

In my opinion, the new AD needs to be a football guy. Our basketball program is on the rise and likely in good shape for the foreseeable future. We need someone who can work with the coach to get football where it is competitive in the SEC.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

lstewart

Nothing against Joe or any of the other types like him being mentioned, but it seems alot of these guys would not really be qualified for the nuts and bolts of the job. This has become a complex big business job. Joe and some of those guys would be good with the PR aspects as the face of the program, but I am not sure they would have the background for most of the real day to day duties. In a case like that, you would probably have to have assistants that did most of the business type tasks, and the AD would be more of a PR "face of the program" type person. I guess that might work, but it could be risky. Some of these guys might fit in better as athletic department hires that allowed them to focus on the PR duties they would be strong at.

moses_007

How about Super Sidney Moncrief.  We all love that Razorback....

go hogues

How Arkansas would that be:

For immediate release:
Fayetteville, AR (AP) -
The University of Arkansas has hired a successor for outgoing AD, and former Chairman of the College Football Playoff Committee, Jeff Long, as it introduced Joe Klein, former Corky's bbq franchisee.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

BigK_HogHeaven

Joe is on 103.7 with Acri right now.  I'm sure they'll ask him about it

BigK_HogHeaven

"Flattered beyond belief and very appreciative of the people who have called me, think that I could do the job and want me to do the job.  I haven't talked with the University about the AD job and don't expect to.  If that happened, I would be excited to contribute. The state and University are like family to me.  I'd be honored and excited if they felt that much of me.  I'd love to talk to them, but I don't see that happening....right now there is nothing to it whatsoever." -Kleine on 103.7

Seebs

How many trophies has Joe made? That's what I thought.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

BallHog1

There is a strange level of ignorance or just unwillingness to understand the job of AD here. The idea that because someone played for the UofA, any sport, makes them qualified to run a sizeable organization is laughable and kind of scary if some of you are serious.

The business part of the organization is absolutely necessary if the rest is going to survive. We just fired someone who by all appearances had the business part taken care of. Hiring an ex-athlete with no business acumen could be a disaster.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Can we just start a thread where people can list every person they've ever heard of as a possibility?

Polecat

Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

311Hog

BDSCT51

Quote from: BallHog1 on November 21, 2017, 10:50:46 am
There is a strange level of ignorance or just unwillingness to understand the job of AD here. The idea that because someone played for the UofA, any sport, makes them qualified to run a sizeable organization is laughable and kind of scary if some of you are serious.

The business part of the organization is absolutely necessary if the rest is going to survive. We just fired someone who by all appearances had the business part taken care of. Hiring an ex-athlete with no business acumen could be a disaster.

Yep! As much as I would want someone who bleeds Razorback Red and played on the Hill for an AD, the business side would be a daunting task for those in such uncharted waters. Now, if they were smart enough to surround themselves with the right team of individuals (maybe some of the current staff?) then it may work out. Big gamble no matter what the BOT does, just like any hire for any business.
Bleeding Razorback Red

HF#1

Quote from: BDSCT51 on November 21, 2017, 11:00:25 am
Yep! As much as I would want someone who bleeds Razorback Red and played on the Hill for an AD, the business side would be a daunting task for those in such uncharted waters. Now, if they were smart enough to surround themselves with the right team of individuals (maybe some of the current staff?) then it may work out. Big gamble no matter what the BOT does, just like any hire for any business.

Scanlon would be the only guy to give the best of both worlds. Razorback through and through with very high business acumen.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

The AD job is managing a business with a $120 million budget, hundreds of millions in facilities and dozens of employees. "Former player" doesn't make you qualified by itself.

SPAL

Quote from: BallHog1 on November 21, 2017, 10:50:46 am

You seem to contradict yourself....

"We shouldn't hire someone who played for the hogs because they don't understand the business side even though the guy we hired who was doing pretty good on the business side got fired."

So, long had the business side doing well and we fired him and you contend we should hire another business minded guy? Hmm

ronmahony

I was thinking about that a couple of weeks ago. If Long was such a business genius, why didn't they keep him in to run the business part, and hire an ex athlete to run the athletic side of things? Someone with enough smarts to know better than hire a Smith, or know when to cut loose a Bielema faster than five years?
"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: ricepig on November 21, 2017, 07:33:15 am
And probably a lot better.

Perhaps, but he checks a lot of the boxes--relates well to fans, former Razorback notable, successful business person. I know there's been some mutual interest there before, but not for the AD job.

I think the missing ingredient with JK is actual athletic department working experience.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

BDSCT51

Quote from: HF#1 on November 21, 2017, 11:01:36 am
Scanlon would be the only guy to give the best of both worlds. Razorback through and through with very high business acumen.

I tend to agree with this!
Bleeding Razorback Red

Been10Hog

Quote from: HF#1 on November 21, 2017, 11:01:36 am
I agree, however, getting Wally's endorsement should be the kiss of death! He needs to go back to his job of scaring children from under the bridge!!

Sivad

ricepig

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on November 21, 2017, 11:12:41 am
Perhaps, but he checks a lot of the boxes--relates well to fans, former Razorback notable, successful business person. I know there's been some mutual interest there before, but not for the AD job.

I think the missing ingredient with JK is actual athletic department working experience.

I think that is an important part in today's world of college athletics, Florida and Bama hired what I would call more of the "professional" type, while MSU and USCe hired the " local coach" type.

BallHog1

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on November 21, 2017, 11:08:50 am
You seem to contradict yourself....

"We shouldn't hire someone who played for the hogs because they don't understand the business side even though the guy we hired who was doing pretty good on the business side got fired."

So, long had the business side doing well and we fired him and you contend we should hire another business minded guy? Hmm
Let me help you. I'm not sure the firing of Long was warranted or wise. I have a bad feeling, those with the power reacted emotionally to football losses and made a decision and I'm not real confident that they have a plan to right all this. If they seriously don't have an AD in mind and the "committee hasn't yet started its work", the place is in trouble.

We fired a guy that had the business part going well but he was from "up north" and didn't "love the helmet" I guess. I have a bad feeling that may be regretted.

I fail to see where I contradicted myself in the original post.

ricepig

Quote from: sevenof400 on November 21, 2017, 11:25:26 am
And on this rare occasion and topic, I fully agree with RicePig.

What attributes does Kleine possess what would qualify him to be the AD at Arkansas?

Just so I can disagree with you: former player, former coach, runs a successful business, understands the "culture".......

Now, I'm probably too hung up on the administrative/business side of being the qualifications of an AD, thus my desire for someone who can check every box.

Sivad

Quote from: sevenof400 on November 21, 2017, 11:25:26 am
What attributes does Kleine possess what would qualify him to be the AD at Arkansas?
He'll make a good Frankenstein at Halloween, that's about it.

BigK_HogHeaven

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on November 21, 2017, 10:51:58 am
Can we just start a thread where people can list every person they've ever heard of as a possibility?

Someone called into the radio show this morning and Mentioned Scott Inman for AD.... seriously.