Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Shorting Trump

Started by hawgbawb, January 10, 2017, 06:49:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: ricepig on March 28, 2017, 07:26:39 pm
Well, you worry yourself sick over it, I'm going to take another vacation. I'm 58, my parents did grow up during the Depression, fortunately, my grandfather prospered before, during, and after it.
That's great for you, your granddad and all your relatives. Unfortunately a TON of folks didn't. And while I'm concerned about the mishandling of this country's finances and its irresponsible spending, I don't happen to follow the same practices. In other words, I try to practice what I preach; then again, I've also tried not to become too self-absorbed and smug about my own VERY considerable good fortune.

ricepig

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on March 28, 2017, 08:12:33 pm
Well gee....what a revelation that the problem didn't just begin yesterday. Wow!!!!! Now that's a truly a fact I didn't realize...not! That's part of the problem-no one in Congress or the administration(s) have wanted to do a damn thing about it. Nope, don't want to call the problem to the attention of the voting public 'cause it might cost you some votes. Problem is too many people want to stick their head in the sand and hope that it gots away. The only thing that does is leaves your ass in the air for someone to come along and kick it. But yeah, you just sit there and think that ignoring the problem is going to make it go away and/or solve itself.

And while I'll agree that the American dream is to work hard and try to make your life and that of your kids better, that doesn't mean that any country can spend money like a drunken sailor on shore leave, and spend itself into oblivion without major dire consequences. Just like individual unfettered credit card, student loan, mortgage and car loan debt the price WILL be paid. Just because you or I might not be around to see it or to feel its results doesn't excuse any of us from carrying about the future of this country or its future generations. 

Well, beat your drum loud, lol, if it somehow makes you feel better. My ass is fine, hopefully my kids too, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. I care about their future and our country's, but getting ones blood pressure up over this isn't in on my platter.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: ricepig on March 28, 2017, 08:25:54 pm
Well, beat your drum loud, lol, if it somehow makes you feel better. My ass is fine, hopefully my kids too, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. I care about their future and our country's, but getting ones blood pressure up over this isn't in on my platter.
Sounds as if you'd fit right in with the rest of the Washington crowd then 'cause obviously they feel the same way. Put off tomorrow what you should do today. But you keep telling yourself that you REALLY give a tinker's damn about this country's fiscal future. Because ever after all you feel "I got mine, to hell with everybody else". Yep, maybe you do have the (current) American spirit after all....sad!

ricepig

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on March 28, 2017, 08:32:05 pm
Blah, blah, blah......

Exactly what I read from you, lol. Save the world, or a whale, or whatever you wish to champion.

Vantage 8 dude

March 28, 2017, 08:38:16 pm #104 Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 11:21:10 pm by Vantage 8 dude
Quote from: ricepig on March 28, 2017, 08:35:52 pm
Exactly what I read from you, lol. Save the world, or a whale, or whatever you wish to champion.
Well glad you recognize that I do care about ALL life on this planet. God save us all in a world where we humans are supposedly the highest life form 'cause that says a TON (and it ain't exactly a comforting thought). After all I got mine and to hell with everyone else.

Besides, I'm not trying to save the whole world. Just a little piece of it.

ricepig

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on March 28, 2017, 08:38:16 pm
Well glad you recognize that I do care about ALL life on this planet. God save us all in a world where we humans are supposedly the highest life form 'cause that says a TON (and it ain't exactly a wonderful thought). After all I got mine and to hell with everyone else.

Well, when you get your Nobel Peace Prize, let me know, while I've been to Europe a couple of times, I've never been to Oslo.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: ricepig on March 28, 2017, 08:42:59 pm
Well, when you get your Nobel Peace Prize, let me know, while I've been to Europe a couple of times, I've never been to Oslo.
Well I have. If you want to know what the award site looks like just let me know and I'll be glad to share some photos as well as a wonderful description. Actually it's their City Hall which makes it doubly amazing. BTW while you're there make sure you take in Stockholm, Helsinki and most definitely St. Petersburg, Russia. Tallin, Estonia is very beautiful as well.

Oh yeah, one last thing: since you're such an European traveler I'm sure you're very familiar with the "basket case" economy of Greece. Just one more example of run away government spending deficits.

twistitup

Quote from: ricepig on March 28, 2017, 07:23:50 pm
15-25, and yes, my parents did very well, and I did better, so my kids will have it better than me. I thought that was the American dream, leave your kids better off than you were.

Haha....if life were only that easy.

Hillarious and/or clueless
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

jfan01

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 28, 2017, 07:29:06 pm
You might have missed these facts:

High-deductible health plan (HDHP) is a class of insurance. High-deductible insurance has been rising as a % of total insured every year since coming into existence in 2004.

The inflation rate of insurance premiums in the United States was significantly slower with Obamacare than it was before Obamacare.

As in dramatically slower. Insurance premiums for family coverage rose at an 8% annual rate from 1999-2010. Since then, 4.5%.

What you pay for health insurance is different than what you pay for healthcare. If your employer shifted you to high-deductible insurance, you saw less increase in premiums but much higher out-of-pocket expenses.

Employers are using high-deductible insurance to shift more cost onto employees. Make you more conscious of your healthcare spending. Obamacare didn't do this.

High-deductible insurance began to gain critical mass right around the time the Affordable Care Act started rolling out its myriad mandates. Two completely separate phenomena, but it's obvious that dumbass rubes blamed their huge cost increases on Obama.

I'm no expert on this subject, so I won't pretend to be, but I think you may have mixed up two different insurance products. HDHP are, in my opinion, the correct way to do health insurance. Premiums are lower than with traditional insurance plans, allowing people to save money for those times when care is needed and those high deductibles come into play. They give the insured some responsibility for paying the cost of their care, reducing wasteful emergency room visits and other costly health care practices when cheaper, more suitable options exist for treatment. US Healthcare is so expensive because nobody has any skin in the game. It's easy to spend money when it's insurance company money.

The problem with Obamacare, I believe, is that it is generally traditional health insurance, but still with high premiums and high deductibles. I'm pretty sure the Democrats didn't design Obamacare to put everyone into HDHP since Democrats routinely rail against them every opportunity.

HDHP is not for everyone, but likely cheaper and a better option for most families. If your employer shifted you to a HDHP, you should have seen a dramatic decrease in premiums, not a slowed increase. Obamacare resulted in increased premiums and increased deductibles. HDHP is not to blame for that.

My employer offers both HDHP and PPO (or traditional) insurance. The vast majority of the company is in the HDHP because it is a better, cheaper plan. We're fortunate to work for a company that provides us the option to have a HDHP and avoid the high premiums and high deductibles associated with Obamacare.

My overall healthcare costs have decreased since the HDHP became an option. Again, it sounds like you understand the HDHP, but I think you might be the one conflating the recent increases in premiums and deductibles with a successful insurance program inacted under Bush. Not all the rubes you referred to in your post.

If I misunderstood something about your reply, I apologize in advance. I don't plan on getting into a back and forth on the subject, as you seem to enjoy typing a lot more than me, but I felt a little clarification on HDHP insurance was needed.

ricepig

Quote from: twistitup on March 28, 2017, 09:05:12 pm
Haha....if life were only that easy.

Hillarious and/or clueless

Far from clueless, my friend, far from clueless.......

twistitup

Quote from: ricepig on March 28, 2017, 09:16:31 pm
Far from clueless, my friend, far from clueless.......

Money only goes so far when looking at life. My mother had plenty of it- cancer didn't give a damn about her bank account

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: twistitup on March 28, 2017, 10:07:06 pm
Money only goes so far when looking at life. My mother had plenty of it- cancer didn't give a damn about her bank account
Great point! Yep, while having the money is nice, in the end I truly believe our Maker isn't going to care about our address or profession. HE also isn't going to check the size of our bank account, investment portfolio or what kind of vehicle we drove. HE's going to judge us on what we did and perhaps more importantly, what we could have done but failed to do.

BTW I'm truly sorry about your mom. The "big C" is my worst nightmare.

ricepig

Quote from: twistitup on March 28, 2017, 10:07:06 pm

Sorry about your mother, but having money has exactly what to do with our deficits? Would you like to guess how many politicians I've contributed to who were going to "cut spending and balance the budget" in the past 30 years? I'm sorry, but I'm not going to lose anymore sleep over our "Deficits as % of GDP" anymore, but don't let me stop anyone else from doing so.

twistitup

Quote from: ricepig on March 29, 2017, 04:51:14 am
Sorry about your mother, but having money has exactly what to do with our deficits? Would you like to guess how many politicians I've contributed to who were going to "cut spending and balance the budget" in the past 30 years? I'm sorry, but I'm not going to lose anymore sleep over our "Deficits as % of GDP" anymore, but don't let me stop anyone else from doing so.

My statement came after you casually mentioned how well off you are and how your children will naturally be more financially succesful than you....it just came off as extremely shallow when looking at the big picture.

HawgWild

Guys, we devolve. V8, like ricepig I keep expecting a picture to appear in the white space under your posts.  ;D

ricepig

Quote from: twistitup on March 29, 2017, 08:00:13 am
My statement came after you casually mentioned how well off you are and how your children will naturally be more financially succesful than you....it just came off as extremely shallow when looking at the big picture.

It's all relative, I said I was in better financial shape than my parents were, and likewise my kids well be from me. You just assumed it to be well off, I never said that. Anyway, I'm done, I'll let y'all cure the world's problems.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: ricepig on March 29, 2017, 04:51:14 am
Well thanks for TOTALLY proving my point. No doubt for years politicians have promised they'd take a serious look at and take action to reduce the national deficits with NO resulting action. As I said, sticking your head in the sand and doing nothing about it only exposes one's rear end to being severely kicked down the road. And while none of us may be "losing any sleep over the issue" as you put it, that doesn't mean the problem's not there and not growing in size and seriousness. Just like with any condition that can negatively impact one's physical health, just because one chooses to ignore it or not deal with it DOESN'T change the fact that eventually the problem WILL manifest itself in very serious (perhaps fatal) ways. Fiscal imbalances and deficits WILL eventually have to be dealt with OR the country eventually will have to endure even more serious consequences.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: HawgWild on March 29, 2017, 08:59:27 am
Guys, we devolve. V8, like ricepig I keep expecting a picture to appear in the white space under your posts.  ;D
Happened once before. For that I apologize. I don't understand why it's happening and most definitely NOT doing so to distract or take up unnecessary space.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: ricepig on March 29, 2017, 10:15:48 am
It's all relative, I said I was in better financial shape than my parents were, and likewise my kids well be from me. You just assumed it to be well off, I never said that. Anyway, I'm done, I'll let y'all cure the world's problems.
As the old saying goes: "You're either part of the solution or part of the problem". As I said previously, you need to run for political office 'cause you have the wholesome, caring and "let's truly get something done" that the Washington crowd possesses. One more thing that would make you perfect for that gaggle of slugs: "Me and my family have ours so to hell with the rest of the world".

ricepig

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on March 29, 2017, 10:35:07 am
As the old saying goes: "You're either part of the solution or part of the problem". As I said previously, you need to run for political office 'cause you have the wholesome, caring and "let's truly get something done" that the Washington crowd possesses. One more thing that would make you perfect for that gaggle of slugs: "Me and my family have ours so to hell with the rest of the world".

Nah, you're the one with all the answers, I'll let you handle it. As far as your last statement, you should try it, you'll sleep better.

ricepig

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on March 29, 2017, 10:27:39 am
Well thanks for TOTALLY proving my point. No doubt for years politicians have promised they'd take a serious look at and take action to reduce the national deficits with NO resulting action. As I said, sticking your head in the sand and doing nothing about it only exposes one's rear end to being severely kicked down the road. And while none of us may be "losing any sleep over the issue" as you put it, that doesn't mean the problem's not there and not growing in size and seriousness. Just like with any condition that can negatively impact one's physical health, just because one chooses to ignore it or not deal with it DOESN'T change the fact that eventually the problem WILL manifest itself in very serious (perhaps fatal) ways. Fiscal imbalances and deficits WILL eventually have to be dealt with OR the country eventually will have to endure even more serious consequences.

Just because one espouses on a message board about it doesn't do anything but use up bandwidth. I suspect both of our "efforts" have the same effect on the deficits and the spending, absolutely zero.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: ricepig on March 29, 2017, 11:03:50 am
Nah, you're the one with all the answers, I'll let you handle it. As far as your last statement, you should try it, you'll sleep better.
Wrong again, bucko. I've never said I have all the answers. And if you dispute that then you're just as delusional as your "buddies" in Washington. However, what I did say is that I do recognize the problem and don't just pass it off as "oh well, doesn't really involve me or mine so why should I care"? That's exactly part of the problem. There hasn't been anything done so why should I care of be concerned? Guess what: I can guarantee you that NO problem, large or small, will ever been addressed or dealt with if we just take a "who cares" approach. Yep, that's the real problem/issue here.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: ricepig on March 29, 2017, 11:08:20 am
Just because one espouses on a message board about it doesn't do anything but use up bandwidth. I suspect both of our "efforts" have the same effect on the deficits and the spending, absolutely zero.
Again, thanks for proving my point. One thing we DO KNOW for certain: NOT trying to address the issue by expecting more from our Congress is absolutely guaranteed to get the same result: nothing. Come to think of it isn't that the traditional example/definition of insanity-doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result? At least one can try; better than sitting on one's hands (or butt) and saying "woe is little old me, I can't do anything about it". Glad our ancestors such as those of the Founding Fathers didn't take that approach when it came to dealing with HUGE issues they had with the great British Empire. Had they no doubt we'd still be part of the "colonies" and still paying homage to the King (or Queen).

ricepig

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on March 29, 2017, 12:10:17 pm
Again, thanks for proving my point. One thing we DO KNOW for certain: NOT trying to address the issue by expecting more from our Congress is absolutely guaranteed to get the same result: nothing. Come to think of it isn't that the traditional example/definition of insanity-doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result? At least one can try; better than sitting on one's hands (or butt) and saying "woe is little old me, I can't do anything about it". Glad our ancestors such as those of the Founding Fathers didn't take that approach when it came to dealing with HUGE issues they had with the great British Empire. Had they no doubt we'd still be part of the "colonies" and still paying homage to the King (or Queen).

No taxation without representation isn't the same thing, lol. I'm putting my efforts into doing away with the inheritance(death) tax. We all have our on battles we choice to fight. I'll leave the deficits to you, I like my chances better.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: ricepig on March 29, 2017, 01:00:58 pm
No taxation without representation isn't the same thing, lol. I'm putting my efforts into doing away with the inheritance(death) tax. We all have our on battles we choice to fight. I'll leave the deficits to you, I like my chances better.
Need to go back and brush up on your history. The taxation issue was by no means the only disagreement the colonies and "mother country" had at the time. While no doubt it was an issue, there were other problems as well.        .   Then again when one obviously takes the stated approach that as long as I'm personally not being affected and I've got mine and to hell with everyone else what more could one expect? I'm just thankful many of the folks around at that time didn't take the same attitude/approach.

BTW don't count on the inheritance tax being totally done away with. Government needs the money too badly and there will likely be some type of tax to hit some monetary level of inheritance. Whether or not that ends up including you, me, other anyone else we might know will only be determined at what level Congress decides. Remember the old observation that "the devil is in the details".

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: ricepig on March 29, 2017, 01:00:58 pm
When you really have no true battles to fight then I guess anyone can like their chances....weak, pathetic excuse.

HawgWild

ricepig

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on March 29, 2017, 03:46:34 pm
When you really have no true battles to fight then I guess anyone can like their chances....weak, pathetic excuse.

Lol, my chances are better than yours. I guess you wish to make this personal for some reason, I can get as dirty as you wish.

ricepig

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on March 29, 2017, 03:45:28 pm
Need to go back and brush up on your history. The taxation issue was by no means the only disagreement the colonies and "mother country" had at the time. While no doubt it was an issue, there were other problems as well.        .   Then again when one obviously takes the stated approach that as long as I'm personally not being affected and I've got mine and to hell with everyone else what more could one expect? I'm just thankful many of the folks around at that time didn't take the same attitude/approach.

BTW don't count on the inheritance tax being totally done away with. Government needs the money too badly and there will likely be some type of tax to hit some monetary level of inheritance. Whether or not that ends up including you, me, other anyone else we might know will only be determined at what level Congress decides. Remember the old observation that "the devil is in the details".

You need to polish up on your comprehension, no where did I say that was the only reason for our Declaration of Independence. Oh, jealousy doesn't become you.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: ricepig on March 29, 2017, 04:50:16 pm
You need to polish up on your comprehension, no where did I say that was the only reason for our Declaration of Independence. Oh, jealousy doesn't become you.
Jealousy ??? :o :( Man, you are delusional. And btw the reason I specifically mentioned the "taxation without representation" bit is that's the specific thing YOU mentioned in your response back to me. Might want to at least go back and read what you originally posted. And as far as getting "down and dirty" I have no reason to. However, I also don't like taking advantage of matching wits with unarmed men.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: ricepig on March 29, 2017, 04:47:49 pm
Lol, my chances are better than yours. I guess you wish to make this personal for some reason, I can get as dirty as you wish.
So what are we into the old "mine's bigger than yours" schtick now? 

ricepig

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on March 29, 2017, 05:10:37 pm
So what are we into the old "mine's bigger than yours" schtick now? 

Find someone else to argue with, obviously you can't handle a different line of thought than your own.

Vantage 8 dude

Once again you try to throw up smoke to justify your spiel. Go back and check my original comments about the federal deficit (rely #89) yesterday at 12:01:16 pm. I'm most certainly NOT the one who made the crack about the "Alfred E. Neuman" approach to the issue. So......I merely made a statement and observation and YOU choose to make the original wisecrack in response. But you are right about one thing......it is long past time to end this whole thing, if for no other reason than to spare the rest of these poor folks on this site from watching this crap continuing. And as for the claim that it's I who like to continue the debating: uhh,,,,,,,,an argument, debate or whatever takes TWO parties, not one so don't try to lay all this on me. Perhaps we can admit our joint guilt of continuing this mess and call it a day. Besides, I suspect neither one of us is going to change our minds or back down.

twistitup

hawgbawb

Trump is a dead man walking. He won't make it to the 2018 elections. We have a lame duck peeps.
I post, therefor I am.
John Highsmith Adams rocks.

LSUFan

Quote from: hawgbawb on March 30, 2017, 07:41:59 pm
Trump is a dead man walking. He won't make it to the 2018 elections. We have a lame duck peeps.
Cocaine much?
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

Vantage 8 dude

Of course you're apparently assuming that there will be legitimate proof that one or more impeachable offenses have occurred. Long way between "I guess/suspect" and "I know and can prove it". I certainly don't know either way and I suspect neither do you.

pigture perfect

kind of sounds like a threat to me.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

hawgbawb

Resignation or impeachment. Pick your poison.
I post, therefor I am.

twistitup

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on March 30, 2017, 10:36:42 pm
Of course you're apparently assuming that there will be legitimate proof that one or more impeachable offenses have occurred. Long way between "I guess/suspect" and "I know and can prove it". I certainly don't know either way and I suspect neither do you.

Flynn holds the key...if he gets immunity T is F'ed

ricepig

Quote from: hawgbawb on March 31, 2017, 06:18:24 am

I miss the old politics forum with it's daily prediction of some calamity, nefarious act, or other "the world is ending" from Hawgb, or the dude that wrote 1000 words to say nothing.

Vantage 8 dude

So you have ABSOLUTE and POSITIVE proof of such? I seriously doubt it. I have no way of knowing for sure; and until we all do, or at least those who have such power to do something about it, you're totally blowing smoke and guessing what will be the outcome. Frankly I'll let the FACTS speak for themselves, which ever way they do.

hawgbawb

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on March 31, 2017, 09:06:00 am
So you have ABSOLUTE and POSITIVE proof of such? I seriously doubt it. I have no way of knowing for sure; and until we all do, or at least those who have such power to do something about it, you're totally blowing smoke and guessing what will be the outcome. Frankly I'll let the FACTS speak for themselves, which ever way they do.
I am predicting, like most folks around Hogville. As for facts, they don't seem to count for much anymore. ;-)
I post, therefor I am.

twistitup

These days.... facts are always getting in the way of progress

Biggus Piggus

On the subject of shorting things...the worst-performing stock sectors so far this year are energy and telecom services. Information technology has been the best by a good margin. Health care technology also has been an excellent investment.

Energy, retail and financials have sucked. Any way to tie that to Trump? Maybe energy and financials rallied too much after the election, giving some back now.

From a one-year perspective, traditional retailers, personal consumer goods, apparel, and leisure products have been really sucky.
[CENSORED]!

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 22, 2017, 12:16:36 pm
On the subject of shorting things...the worst-performing stock sectors so far this year are energy and telecom services. Information technology has been the best by a good margin. Health care technology also has been an excellent investment.

Energy, retail and financials have sucked. Any way to tie that to Trump? Maybe energy and financials rallied too much after the election, giving some back now.

From a one-year perspective, traditional retailers, personal consumer goods, apparel, and leisure products have been really sucky.
Assuming one is looking for yield in the forms of dividends I would strongly suggest you take advantage of the vast underperformance in the telecoms. Much of the recent weakness is due to Verizon and AT and T responding to Sprint and TMobile's aggressive rate plans. Both of the "big boys" have had to respond with lower cost plans of their own in order to protect/regain market share. While it's hurting them at present, I think over time it's likely to have a positive impact with more customers moving back to VZ or T. In the end they have the balance sheets and financial "firepower" to hurt Sprint and TMobile when it comes to future upgrading/expansion of services.

The premiums that the utilities have in general over the telecoms I do NOT believe will last. Generally speaking their yields are not as attractive, their potential growth in earnings and dividends are less, and their valuations are almost "priced for perfection". Remember that all things being equal, buy when a sector goes on sale. In the end you'll usually be right.

The financials should be fine barring a recession. While credit spreads have eased of late, the somewhat higher interest rates they're earning and the likelihood that there will be further deregulation of some of the Dodd-Frank rules should also help their balance sheets and earnings. Thus far the most recent earnings reports have been fairly encouraging.

hog.goblin

I choose 4 years and decides not to run again

Vantage 8 dude

Another idea and theme in conjunction with the telecom stocks would be a variation of the phone companies-data center Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITS). Think of the various internet companies paying to have their information centers housed off site. This is becoming a growing trend both here and abroad. As long as the internet continues to grow, and who can argue with that, these companies are going to be paid to provide much of the data storage and such by the likes of Amazon, Google, and others.

Two great ideas: Coresite (COR) and Digital Realty Trust (DLR). Both these stocks offer dividends yields of over 3% with the five year expected annual growth in earnings in excess of 10%; growth well above that of the tradition telephone company. Add to the fact that the stocks offer some interesting potential price appreciation and I believe either one/or both could offer returns in excess of 15% annually.