Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

With so many new pieces on offense, will Arkansas be better or worse in 2017?

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, June 22, 2017, 08:19:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildhog

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on June 22, 2017, 01:24:14 pm
How so?

I'm saying I'd be surprised if the % of sacks attributed to our OL is that much different than most other schools.

But that's just a guess, as I'm not motivated enough to look for that data.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: Wildhog on June 22, 2017, 01:25:23 pm
I'm saying I'd be surprised if the % of sacks attributed to our OL is that much different than most other schools.

So the negative comments about the offensive line would be true for any other school?  You're essentially saying that the offensive line stats are as good, or in your negative opinion as bad, as any other schools?
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Wildhog

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on June 22, 2017, 01:33:22 pm
So the negative comments about the offensive line would be true for any other school?  You're essentially saying that there offensive line stats are as good, or in your negative opinion as bad, as any other schools?

Well, I'm saying proportionally there's probably not a huge difference.  Every team has RB's/TE's that miss blocks.

Doesn't mean that our OL wasn't terrible. 

Again, I don't have any data to support that.  I do have eyes, though, and that OL was exceptionally bad.
1909/1964/1965/1977

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: Wildhog on June 22, 2017, 01:35:34 pm
Well, I'm saying proportionally there's probably not a huge difference.  Every team has RB's/TE's that miss blocks.

Doesn't mean that our OL wasn't terrible. 

Again, I don't have any data to support that.  I do have eyes, though, and that OL was exceptionally bad.

Well I guess everyone else's offensive lines are just as bad a s Arkansas' since statistically you say they're all about the same.  You yourself said the percentage of sacks is about the same.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Wildhog

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on June 22, 2017, 01:43:21 pm
Well I guess everyone else's offensive lines are just as bad a s Arkansas' since statistically you say they're all about the same.  You yourself said the percentage of sacks is about the same.

Yet we gave up more sacks/TFL than almost everyone else in the SEC.

Are you asserting that the OL at other schools were proportionally more responsible for those stats than ours?  Because you'd have to back that up with data.

I hope you do.  I'm always looking to be more informed.
1909/1964/1965/1977

PonderinHog

bphi11ips

Appreciate the real stats from FOTH. Something to consider.

I think we'll have a very good offense as long as AA stays healthy. He's a really good fifth year senior QB behind a veteran line surrounded by talent at skill positions. All of that with Dan Enos will make for balance, which is hard to defend.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Wildhog

Quote from: bphi11ips on June 22, 2017, 01:47:45 pm
Appreciate the real stats from FOTH. Something to consider.

I think we'll have a very good offense as long as AA stays healthy. He's a really good fifth year senior QB behind a veteran line surrounded by talent at skill positions. All of that with Dan Enos will make for balance, which is hard to defend.

Love Enos.  He'll make it work.
1909/1964/1965/1977

PonderinHog

RazorWest

I think the offense will be about the same, probably better in the run but worse in the pass if I had to guess.  My biggest concern is that Arkansas will likely be about as good this year as last year, but below is what scares me.

TCU - about the same as last year
Texas A&M - about the same as last year
South Carolina - Improved
Alabama - Always good
Auburn - Improved
Ole Miss - Improved but still probably bad
LSU - Improved
Miss State - Improved
Missouri - Improved

So my fear is Arkansas doesn't exponentially improve but most of the rest of the SEC does which could be a very bad year for us.  We'll see though

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Wildhog on June 22, 2017, 01:25:23 pm

A sack is a sack and it all counts the same, it is a team game and requires a team effort to avert those. Now that doesn't mean that the TE's or the RB's or the OL or the QB, as individual position groups are all responsible for every sack.

Obviously on a sack there was someone who screwed up and made a mistake whether that means just flat out missing an assignment, being out of position to execute that assignment or not getting enough of a guy. But the point is that all four groups failed at times last year and maybe, more than one group at a time, but it is an error to try to pick out a single group and lay the blame at their feet.

For that matter you might be able to blame the WR's as well if they didn't run their routes correctly or didn't gain separation because that could have delayed timing and maybe the QB was holding the ball too long trying to make a play. But then the QB gets sacked and everyone points at the O-Line.

The staff has the stats broken down. I wish we had access to those.
Go Hogs Go!

Wildhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 22, 2017, 02:04:59 pm
A sack is a sack and it all counts the same, it is a team game and requires a team effort to avert those. Now that doesn't mean that the TE's or the RB's or the OL or the QB, as individual position groups are all responsible for every sack.

Obviously on a sack there was someone made a mistake somehow whether that means just flat out missing an assignment, being out of position to execute that assignment or not getting enough of a guy. But the point is that all four groups failed at times last year and maybe, more than one group at a time, but it is an error to try to pick out a single group and lay the blame at their feet.

For that matter you might be able to blame the WR's as well if they didn't run their routes correctly or didn't gain separation because that could have delayed timing and maybe the QB was holding the ball too long trying to make a play. But then the QB gets sacked and everyone points at the O-Line.

I'm not arguing with any of that. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

Al Boarland

Quote from: RazorWest on June 22, 2017, 02:04:17 pm
I think the offense will be about the same, probably better in the run but worse in the pass if I had to guess.  My biggest concern is that Arkansas will likely be about as good this year as last year, but below is what scares me.

TCU - about the same as last year
Texas A&M - about the same as last year
South Carolina - Improved
Alabama - Always good
Auburn - Improved
Ole Miss - Improved but still probably bad
LSU - Improved
Miss State - Improved
Missouri - Improved

So my fear is Arkansas doesn't exponentially improve but most of the rest of the SEC does which could be a very bad year for us.  We'll see though

Impossible. We are the only team that can improve.

Hogville logic.

Mike_e

Obviously on a sack there was someone who screwed up and made a mistake whether that means just flat out missing an assignment, being out of position to execute that assignment or not getting enough of a guy. But the point is that all four groups failed at times last year and maybe, more than one group at a time, but it is an error to try to pick out a single group and lay the blame at their feet.

The details are the debbil!

I have a hunch that FOTH's numbers are correct.  ;)
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

FANONTHEHILL

Another factor to consider that could go along with Muskogee's train of thought is to what extent do they give Austin freedom at the line of scrimmage this fall.  His audible checks and run/pass option checks were limited last year.  It also applies to all the four aspects mentioned.  Limiting checks makes it easier in a first year QB, an inexperienced OL, RBs that are inexperienced at SEC level pass blocking and TEs as well. That will improve with a years experience and I imagine Coach Enos will loosen the reins on Austin.

ricepig

PorkSoda

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

ATU HOG

I believe what Wildhog was saying was that % wise most schools probably are similar to the hogs in how the QB gets sacked. Where the difference has been is the amount of sacks we've given up.

Either way, improvement definitely can be made collectively to protect the QB better this year.  It has to come from the O Line though, because the RB position will have plenty of learning experiences. 

Bebop

Generally speaking, Hatcher, Morgan, and Sprinkle were pretty clutch. I think it's going to be hard to replace them. We need clutch receivers if our run game starts to get shut down. Otherwise, it's going to be a long year.

The Kig

Quote from: rhames on June 22, 2017, 08:24:31 am
The teams success still depends on what the defense does.

Couldn't agree more.  Even a modest improvement on Defense and we don't force the Offense into "must score" situations.  Offensive tempo can be established if you can depend on the D to get a stop. 

We played like a Big 12 team last year, not an SEC team.  Play some blanking D. 
Poker Porker

LZH

As long as our receivers are serviceable-to-good, that should keep AA off his backside more often than not. When TV yahoos talk about "well the QB is holding the ball too long".....duh. That usually means he's waiting for a WR/TE to run the right freekin route and get some separation. That's why Drew Morgan was so effective.

If a QB gets four seconds to find an open receiver, that's a lifetime...especially in the SEC - he'll eat you alive. Unfortunately for us, that rarely happens.

goodguytex

Quote from: Wildhog on June 22, 2017, 12:58:23 pm
That's likely similar to every other team, as well.

Thanks for the info, though.
But he didn't give specific numbers and breakdowns of every other team. He did of ours. And he knows what he's talking about. He's got a front row seat. So it's worth taking to heart. Experience should and I hope will make everyone much better.

Players weren't the only ones new last year though. KA was making his transition to the college game after being in the NFL. The Hogs had the same Oline coach for three years. Some new things and unfamiliarity to process and get through. Hopefully that's over now, and we see different results this year.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: LZH on June 23, 2017, 07:21:38 am
As long as our receivers are serviceable-to-good, that should keep AA off his backside more often than not. When TV yahoos talk about "well the QB is holding the ball too long".....duh. That usually means he's waiting for a WR/TE to run the right freekin route and get some separation. That's why Drew Morgan was so effective.

If a QB gets four seconds to find an open receiver, that's a lifetime...especially in the SEC - he'll eat you alive. Unfortunately for us, that rarely happens.

I'm not sure how our Receivers are coached in terms of their initial routes. Are they coached to run very exact routes regardless of types and levels of coverage, or do they have the freedom to "bend" routes if they see lanes between coverage levels if the defense is in zone coverage? Of course then you have to consider the QB who, if everything is predicated on timing, must be able to adjust to the "bend" in the route, the difference in timing, have a quick release to take advantage of that opening and deliver the ball on target. That calls for a lot of developed skill and the Receivers and QB knowing each others tendencies and capabilities very well. And as you point out, all of this has to be done in less than 3 seconds if you don't want to find yourself as a QB, scrambling or on your back.
Go Hogs Go!

daBoar

PonderinHog

Quote from: daBoar on June 23, 2017, 08:35:13 am
I beg to differ; it was only 103rd nationally  :)
13th in the SEC, I think.  If they can keep AA's jersey relatively clean, the offense will be a force.  Defensively, who knows?   I'm hoping for the best.

GuvHog

Quote from: Wildhog on June 22, 2017, 10:32:35 am
We were 12th in the league in YPC, 13th in sacks allowed, and 12th in TFL allowed.

OL has to be better.  They were incredibly awful last year.

Not all of those sacks were the O Line's fault though. There were a few times that Allen just held the ball too long. When there's no one open, he has to get out of the tackle box and throw the ball into the stands.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

goodguytex

Quote from: GuvHog on June 23, 2017, 08:47:22 am
Not all of those sacks were the O Line's fault though. There were a few times that Allen just held the ball too long. When there's no one open, he has to get out of the tackle box and throw the ball into the stands.
Allen had first year jitters too, which does happen when you have been the backup for your career, and I think Austin did really awesome.

If he improves that much more in his last year here, especially if he learns some things at the Manning academy, he should be top of the conference.

Shame of it all is we only have him for this year, and not one more.

LZH

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 23, 2017, 08:10:25 am
I'm not sure how our Receivers are coached in terms of their initial routes. Are they coached to run very exact routes regardless of types and levels of coverage, or do they have the freedom to "bend" routes if they see lanes between coverage levels if the defense is in zone coverage? Of course then you have to consider the QB who, if everything is predicated on timing, must be able to adjust to the "bend" in the route, the difference in timing, have a quick release to take advantage of that opening and deliver the ball on target. That calls for a lot of developed skill and the Receivers and QB knowing each others tendencies and capabilities very well. And as you point out, all of this has to be done in less than 3 seconds if you don't want to find yourself as a QB, scrambling or on your back.

There's a big difference in pre-snap reads and post-snap reads. Receivers have a few options coming off the line due to what the secondary is doing. One of the main reasons I've always liked the shotgun is that the QB doesn't have to turn his back for 5-7 steps and then make a split-second decision with a DL/DE in his face. In the shotgun, he's able to see the coverage in real time and can read the DB's hips and shoulders....it's a 'tell'.

Remember when Staubach, Bradshaw, and Marino used to backpedal? It was so they could see the how the secondary was disguising coverages. Nowadays DL's are so fast very few QB's are quick enough to pull it off.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: LZH on June 23, 2017, 09:35:07 am
There's a big difference in pre-snap reads and post-snap reads. Receivers have a few options coming off the line due to what the secondary is doing. One of the main reasons I've always liked the shotgun is that the QB doesn't have to turn his back for 5-7 steps and then make a split-second decision with a DL/DE in his face. In the shotgun, he's able to see the coverage in real time and can read the DB's hips and shoulders....it's a 'tell'.

Remember when Staubach, Bradshaw, and Marino used to backpedal? It was so they could see the how the secondary was disguising coverages. Nowadays DL's are so fast very few QB's are quick enough to pull it off.

I understand all of that and the benefits of that which you speak. Part of that was the problem last year with regard to Pre-Snap reads and changing plays at the LOS according to FOTH above. Enos limited AA's responsibility to make changes at the LOS due to it being his first year as a starter. The QB's ability to change plays at the LOS based on what he is seeing can certainly have a positive effect on the offense, if he can accurately read what he is seeing and make the right call.

What I don't know is how much freedom we give our Receivers to bend their planned routes based on what they see post-snap.
Go Hogs Go!

ATU HOG

In discussion with the pre-snap adjustments and receivers running routes...

Enos calls the audibles from the sidelines.  There's no difference really between him calling a check at the line and Austin calling it.  They call a play from the huddle and see that the defense is in a 2 deep safety.  The offense then looks to the sideline and gets either a dummy call from the sideline or they check to a different play.  There's no significant difference between the QB calling it and the OC calling it except for trust.  The OC has to trust the QB in reading coverages pre snap, using the hard count to identify the blitzing linebackers etc.  Mallett use to audible at the line, Wilson usually got a call from the sideline.

As for receivers running routes and QB timing.  There are times when the QB does hold onto the ball too long.  Meaning he either locks onto a receiver (stares down), mis reads a coverage, or doesn't go through his progressions correctly. 

Let's say I'm in a 2 high safety look and we know the tendency is man in this down and distance.  I have a 9 route out of the X receiver, an out with the inside slot.  My first read left to right is the 9 route down the sideline.  Assuming the 2 high safety helps out on one side my first read is gone.  My second read is the out route which (depending on the receiver) could be an option route or just stick with the out.  Hopefully I can win that matchup.  If not I go to my backside reads which is the receivers routes on the other end, which could be a dig on the outside with a flag on the inside.  Reading left to right the dig would come first.  If none of those options are open, hopefully there is a late release from the back or he's my check down somewhere else.

This all happens in 3 to 5 seconds.... not easy.  So when a QB holds onto the ball too long, he's usually stared down one look or has gone through all his progressions and it's either a cover sack or he didn't get rid of it to his check down.

Is it football season yet?!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ATU HOG on June 23, 2017, 04:15:48 pm

Enos calls the audibles from the sidelines.  There's no difference really between him calling a check at the line and Austin calling it.  They call a play from the huddle and see that the defense is in a 2 deep safety.  The offense then looks to the sideline and gets either a dummy call from the sideline or they check to a different play.  There's no significant difference between the QB calling it and the OC calling it except for trust.  The OC has to trust the QB in reading coverages pre snap, using the hard count to identify the blitzing linebackers etc.  Mallett use to audible at the line, Wilson usually got a call from the sideline.

As for receivers running routes and QB timing.  There are times when the QB does hold onto the ball too long.  Meaning he either locks onto a receiver (stares down), mis reads a coverage, or doesn't go through his progressions correctly. 

Let's say I'm in a 2 high safety look and we know the tendency is man in this down and distance.  I have a 9 route out of the X receiver, an out with the inside slot.  My first read left to right is the 9 route down the sideline.  Assuming the 2 high safety helps out on one side my first read is gone.  My second read is the out route which (depending on the receiver) could be an option route or just stick with the out.  Hopefully I can win that matchup.  If not I go to my backside reads which is the receivers routes on the other end, which could be a dig on the outside with a flag on the inside.  Reading left to right the dig would come first.  If none of those options are open, hopefully there is a late release from the back or he's my check down somewhere else.

This all happens in 3 to 5 seconds.... not easy.  So when a QB holds onto the ball too long, he's usually stared down one look or has gone through all his progressions and it's either a cover sack or he didn't get rid of it to his check down.

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on June 22, 2017, 04:33:05 pm
Another factor to consider that could go along with Muskogee's train of thought is to what extent do they give Austin freedom at the line of scrimmage this fall.  His audible checks and run/pass option checks were limited last year.  It also applies to all the four aspects mentioned.  Limiting checks makes it easier in a first year QB, an inexperienced OL, RBs that are inexperienced at SEC level pass blocking and TEs as well. That will improve with a years experience and I imagine Coach Enos will loosen the reins on Austin.

Go Hogs Go!

tophawg19

Quote from: Wildhog on June 22, 2017, 11:48:57 am
If he wins 7 games or less this year, there's really nothing he can do next year (short of winning a New Year's Six bowl) that will get me back on board.  You only think I'm negative now. 
I'm sure he cares if you are on board or not
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Wildhog

Quote from: tophawg19 on June 23, 2017, 05:48:57 pm
I'm sure he cares if you are on board or not

Did I say he cared?  You act like what we say on here matters.
1909/1964/1965/1977

tophawg19

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on June 22, 2017, 04:33:05 pm
thanks FOTH and MHF . great info

tophawg19

Quote from: ATU HOG on June 23, 2017, 04:15:48 pm

one of the best reads on here . too many people fail to realize that what they saw or thought they saw , may not be what happened . there are many underlying things the average fan doesn't know or see . That is why you see a coach chewing on a player when it doesn't appear that he did anything wrong

nwahogfan1

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 22, 2017, 10:37:29 am
I think we will find that they are greatly improved.

Love your confidence but why should we expect the OL to be better? Year older?  Better coaching?  RBs finding the right hole?  AA is a year older and not holding on to the ball to long? 

How we be sure of any of these thongs happening?  I drink the cool aid also but sometimes like after a 53 point loss or when we run as big lead in the 1st and can not score in the 2nd half and get beat the cool aide gets really bitter.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on June 23, 2017, 11:42:40 pm
Love your confidence but why should we expect the OL to be better? Year older?  Better coaching?  RBs finding the right hole?  AA is a year older and not holding on to the ball to long? 

How we be sure of any of these thongs happening?  I drink the cool aid also but sometimes like after a 53 point loss or when we run as big lead in the 1st and can not score in the 2nd half and get beat the cool aide gets really bitter.

It's top secret. Just trust me.
Go Hogs Go!

daBoar

Pork Twain

I think that a solid OL solves a lot of our problems and that the new guys at WR, RB and TE will easily replace the numbers from last year.  That and hopefully an improved defense will give them more opportunities with the ball, with less pressure to score every chance they get
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Pork Twain on June 24, 2017, 09:28:36 am
I think that a solid OL solves a lot of our problems and that the new guys at WR, RB and TE will easily replace the numbers from last year.  That and hopefully an improved defense will give them more opportunities with the ball, with less pressure to score every chance they get

I agree with that. Almost half of AA's INT's (7) came in the last 4 games, 5 in the last 2 games when the wheels started coming off and it seemed like the offense felt it had to score every single possession in order to offset the leaky defense to try to win games. 
Go Hogs Go!

nchogg

AA got beat up and a little gun shy last year. I see him poised for a good season. Yes offense will be better. You heard it from me, may not mean much but that is what I think.

HiggiePiggy

I hope it is better because next year will be a new qb and I expect that year to be a little down because of it.  So this year I am expecting 8+ in the regular season. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

goodguytex

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on June 24, 2017, 04:08:55 pm
I hope it is better because next year will be a new qb and I expect that year to be a little down because of it.  So this year I am expecting 8+ in the regular season.
New QB yes. But much of our Oline should be back, our receivers will be more experienced, as will our RBs. And I think we will get much of our defense back too. I trust Enos to have whoever becomes QB ready to go for next year. I just wonder who it will be.

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Wildhog on June 24, 2017, 06:30:48 pm
COLE KELLEY

Yep and I hear he is really good.  Maybe he will do what Austin Allen did his first year and hopefully the Oline and Defense is better for him.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on June 24, 2017, 06:35:34 pm
Yep and I hear he is really good.  Maybe he will do what Austin Allen did his first year and hopefully the Oline and Defense is better for him.

Let's concern ourselves with this year before we concern ourselves with 2018.
Go Hogs Go!

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 24, 2017, 08:59:21 pm
Let's concern ourselves with this year before we concern ourselves with 2018.

This year is better if the defense and Oline is better really all to be said. Rarely do qbs regress under the same OC. The schedule is better for 8 wins at least, but we have seen over the last 4 years that we seem to let games slip.  Hopefully that is corrected this year. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on June 24, 2017, 09:09:15 pm
This year is better if the defense and Oline is better really all to be said. Rarely do qbs regress under the same OC. The schedule is better for 8 wins at least, but we have seen over the last 4 years that we seem to let games slip.  Hopefully that is corrected this year. 

Here's the thing about this season...

Our QB will be more relaxed and experienced and he will be given more responsibility for making calls at the LOS than he was last year as a first year starter. Don't doubt that Enos hasn't considered whether he is ready for that responsibility or not. He'll probably be as good as his older brother in his Senior year or better. He already threw for more yards, just need to cut down on INT's and make calls in the RZ that provide more TD's than FG's.

The O-Line will be improved and more efficient. I'm not going into everything that I have been told about this but I will tell you that voluntary work outs for the O-Line has reached an all time high on Saturdays, when it is totally voluntary. These kids are working their arses off to cover all potential circumstances along the O-Line. They were even working while my Grandson was at Specialists Camp on Saturday of last week.

Losing RWIII was a hit without a doubt, but we have a lot of talent at RB this coming Fall, even if not completely developed. Remember what AC did as a true feshman? I think we will see the same from Maleek Williams and David Williams will help a great deal with his experience in the SEC as a Senior Grad Transfer and then we will see some carries by T. J. Hammonds that will probably end up in more big plays than not just because of his speed. I think that we rush for more yards this coming season than last season.

We may be under-experienced at WR in terms of game experience, but I think that the talent that we have available to us is better, faster and bigger overall than we have had in the recent past. We'll see how they turn out.

The TE's may be better overall than we have seen in any year since Bielema has been here, but they still have to prove it.

I like our offense and I like what Enos is capable of doing with an offense.

I expect our defense to be better under Paul Rhoads. Maybe not top 25, but better, and sometimes that is all you need.
Go Hogs Go!

HiggiePiggy

Heck if the defense is just top 50 I believe that would be way better than what we saw the last two years.