Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Have we overestimated demand for club seats?

Started by PorkRyan, June 09, 2017, 09:59:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: WilsonHog on June 13, 2017, 12:04:37 pm
Both of my children, who also enjoy going to the games, are recently married. They certainly can't afford the contribution and season tickets at this point in their lives, but my wife and I are blessed to be able to. I hope to have grandchildren in the not too distant future, and I want them to grow up going to Razorback football games like my children did. For me, it's a family thing, a matter of tradition. Winning and losing has zero to do with it.

Maybe you know it maybe you don't but you just stated what makes me sad because 20 years ago your children could have still went to games and maybe you could have even afforded to buy their season tickets as a present.  You have to be freaking rich to do something like that today and the product on the field has ALOT to do with ALOT of people's decisions.  Those people aren't any less a Razorback fan than you are, most just have to decide what is best for their fsmily in terms of entertainment dollars spent.  For instance, because I have several grandchildren my wife and I choose to by season tickets to SDC as Christmas presents.  That's time we will spend with family at a place we all enjoy and can affford to go often.  STILL!

ricepig

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on June 13, 2017, 09:33:55 pm
Maybe you know it maybe you don't but you just stated what makes me sad because 20 years ago your children could have still went to games and maybe you could have even afforded to buy their season tickets as a present.  You have to be freaking rich to do something like that today and the product on the field has ALOT to do with ALOT of people's decisions.  Those people aren't any less a Razorback fan than you are, most just have to decide what is best for their fsmily in terms of entertainment dollars spent.  For instance, because I have several grandchildren my wife and I choose to by season tickets to SDC as Christmas presents.  That's time we will spend with family at a place we all enjoy and can affford to go often.  STILL!

Season tickets start at $250, that's not outlandish by any means. Now, millennials choose to spend their money in other ways, I know as I have two of them.

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

WilsonHog

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on June 13, 2017, 09:33:55 pm

I never claimed that anyone was less of a fan than I am. Each of us is free to decide how we spend our disposable income.

popcornhog

Quote from: PorkRyan on June 09, 2017, 09:59:39 am
Tickets are available to the general public.  Looks like about 200 South Outdoor club seats are now available.  That has never happened since we added the club seating.  With the North End Zone opening in 2018, have we overestimated demand or simply overpriced the seats?  As someone who used to have SOC seats, I think we have overpriced them.  $100 seemed about right.  Right now it would cost me a little over $4000 for 4 seats to watch 6 games.  That is not a very good value and it seems many Razorback fans feel the same way.  The next question is will the North end zone seats be priced the same as the SOC and did we use that pricing in our analysis to pay for the renovation?  If we cannot sellout the South Club at $140 a ticket how are we going to sell much in the North club?

We'll probably give ours up next year. We've been South Outdoor Club for several years now but this year we looked st dropping from Wild Hog to Tush and learned that even though Tush are eligible for the seats we have, technically, we'd lose them as a punishment for dropping from current donor level.

Some friends of ours who have been BM Gold forever faced the same fate this year and got pissed off and just left the RF.
WPS

kodiakisland

Quote from: popcornhog on June 13, 2017, 11:17:50 pm
We'll probably give ours up next year. We've been South Outdoor Club for several years now but this year we looked st dropping from Wild Hog to Tush and learned that even though Tush are eligible for the seats we have, technically, we'd lose them as a punishment for dropping from current donor level.

Some friends of ours who have been BM Gold forever faced the same fate this year and got pissed off and just left the RF.

Hate to hear that.  You've got great seats that I've been able to enjoy over the last few years.

For me, what I can afford and what I am willing are two different things.  My family's entertainment/travel budget is large, but I expect a return on that money.  Mostly in personal enjoyment.  If I'm spending thousands of dollars, I better get something in return.  For me, the better spent money has been to buy seats to one or two games a year and fully enjoy them, win or lose.  If I was giving a donation on top of season tickets, I'm not sure the full enjoyment would be there.

So whether premium season tickets are pricing themselves out of a market, or whether more people are deciding they are not getting a good return on their money, or whatever, I can understand why people are saying enough is enough.  It's not always about wins and losses, but whether people want to keep spending more and more for entertainment that isn't always that entertaining.

Now, I will still attend one or two games a year, and probably do it in club seats, but there is no way I'm going to cut into my other expenditures to pony up the donation + season seat prices.  The return for my family just isn't there.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

ricepig

Quote from: popcornhog on June 13, 2017, 11:17:50 pm

Pissed off because of? You could have dropped your seats and gotten back in at $150/seat. Now the risk is,  dropping them, and there not being any available seats.

grayhawg

A couple of 10 win seasons and there will be people begging for those seats.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: sowmonella on June 13, 2017, 10:04:06 pm
$250 is one months cell bill.

Then you have the wrong cell service.......................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 14, 2017, 07:03:14 am

He didn't say how many phones he was paying for...........

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on June 14, 2017, 07:16:08 am
He didn't say how many phones he was paying for...........

We pay for 6 and it isn't that much.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ricepig

Inhogswetrust

June 14, 2017, 07:33:33 am #112 Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 09:22:56 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: ricepig on June 14, 2017, 07:18:31 am
Depends on the data plan.

True. Ours is not unlimited. I think it's 100 megs of data but not sure. Three of the six don't used any data and one other uses only very little. My mom and my in laws hardly ever use their cellphones at home. They still have landline phones at home. As you know it's a generational thing.

LZH

Ha! I thought the same thing.

hog.goblin

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 14, 2017, 07:33:33 am
True. Ours is not unlimited. I think it's 100 megs of data but not sure. Three of the six don't used any data and one other uses only very little. My mom and my in laws hardly ever use their cellphones at home. They still have landline phones at home. As you know it's a generational thing.

100 Megs?  What do you think this is, 1999?  :)

I pay about $230, but that gives me 4 lines with unlimited texting and unlimited data.  We have young kids, unlimited texting is required.

Of course it's actually like $189, but taxes, fees, because we can charges, etc., knocks it up to $230ish.

Tiredofhogssucking

Back to the question of the thread....Yes we have overestimated demand for seats (all seats not just club) if we continue to scratch out 7 win seasons.  I'm a 1992 graduate and have been a donor since 1995.  I decided to not renew this year only because I feel my $4K in donations, tickets, and chair-back rentals can be spent more wisely.  It was tough giving up my 4 seats, but I have chosen to look at this more logically (instead of as a fan) and not simply auto renewing each season.  At some point the game day experience needs to be improved.   

I've grown critical over the years of the entire experience. Traffic to and from the stadium.  Having to tolerate the knees in my back of the person sitting behind you, the lines to everything (bathroom, concessions, etc.)  The lack of cell service to check updates on other games of interest. The constant bombardment of repetitive advertising from Jack Links, Petit Jean Meats, etc..  Some of the above can be tolerated if we are winning 9-10 games and I "feel" like we have a chance at an SEC West title.  At present, I just can't stomach spending the money for more of the same show! 

I'm still a Razorback fan, but can no longer blindly throw income at something that I'm not enjoying at the moment.  I would hate to see the football attendance decline to basketball levels...but soon the entire gameday experience needs a fresh approach. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hog.goblin on June 14, 2017, 11:53:36 am
100 Megs?  What do you think this is, 1999?  :)

I pay about $230, but that gives me 4 lines with unlimited texting and unlimited data.  We have young kids, unlimited texting is required.

Of course it's actually like $189, but taxes, fees, because we can charges, etc., knocks it up to $230ish.

As I said I'm not sure. My wife which is an accountant pays the bills and she set up the account. I do know we've had the plan a long time and it hasn't changed much. I also know she upped the data amount about a year ago.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Tiredofhogssucking on June 14, 2017, 11:59:38 am
Back to the question of the thread....Yes we have overestimated demand for seats (all seats not just club) if we continue to scratch out 7 win seasons.  I'm a 1992 graduate and have been a donor since 1995.  I decided to not renew this year only because I feel my $4K in donations, tickets, and chair-back rentals can be spent more wisely.  It was tough giving up my 4 seats, but I have chosen to look at this more logically (instead of as a fan) and not simply auto renewing each season.  At some point the game day experience needs to be improved.   

I've grown critical over the years of the entire experience. Traffic to and from the stadium.  Having to tolerate the knees in my back of the person sitting behind you, the lines to everything (bathroom, concessions, etc.)  The lack of cell service to check updates on other games of interest. The constant bombardment of repetitive advertising from Jack Links, Petit Jean Meats, etc..  Some of the above can be tolerated if we are winning 9-10 games and I "feel" like we have a chance at an SEC West title.  At present, I just can't stomach spending the money for more of the same show! 

I'm still a Razorback fan, but can no longer blindly throw income at something that I'm not enjoying at the moment.  I would hate to see the football attendance decline to basketball levels...but soon the entire gameday experience needs a fresh approach. 

Aw yes another win more or my support will diminish fan. Anyone that uses a lack of cell service at the game to check other games scores as one reason to give up tickets shouldn't have had tickets in the first place. Especially since they show other scores on the screen. I support them no matter what the W/L record is. I don't and neither does anyone else have to have cellphones at the game or otherwise. We got along just fine without them at games. Nothing worse than a fair weather or record only fan. That has nothing todo with going tooth games or not. A lot of people that have never been to a game are not fair weather fans. IF you think the game day experience is bad now for you I wonder how you would have felt if you had been around before we got in the SEC and such. Heck there wasn't even cellphones back then. It was and still should be about the game itself.

ricepig

Quote from: Tiredofhogssucking on June 14, 2017, 11:59:38 am

You had knees in your back with chair-back rentals? Anyway, everyone makes decisions on what they wish to spend their money for "fun". Since 95 you've seen good and bad football, as we all have, as an album, coming back to campus is as much a draw as the games. The last 7 years or so have been to see my kids who were/are students and watch the Hogs. I still get excited when the band forms the "A" and marches north, I guess we'll go south the year, or topping the bill on I-49 and seeing the stadium/campus.

Athog

Quote from: Al Boarland on June 09, 2017, 10:16:43 am
That could be a problem.

Well it has not been for the last 20 years. Let's not act like we have an average of 10 wins a year!!

WilsonHog

June 14, 2017, 01:33:45 pm #120 Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 03:09:43 pm by WilsonHog
There is a changing of the guard that the decision-makers need to be aware of (and, being much smarter than I am, I am sure they are).

I am in my mid-50s. That means that I became a Razorback fan when the "Porkers" were about all there was. We got three stations on our television in northeast Arkansas. There was one or two college football games on television each Saturday. Coverage of other games came not from a 24-hour sports network, but from Dave Dial and the "Prudential Scoreboard" show. I read everything about the Razorbacks I could get my hands on, which typically meant reading Dave Campbell's "Arkansas Football" from cover to cover (I still have them). Other than the Texas game most seasons, watching the Razorbacks meant buying a ticket and going to the stadium (which for me meant WMS; my first game at Razorback Stadium didn't happen until I was a UA student). My folks were lower middle class at the very best; for them, buying tickets for even one game was out of the question. My brother-in-law had season tickets though, and he took me occasionally. When he did, he always took me to eat prime rib at Steak & Ale in Little Rock. As a boy, that came to be how I defined what "success" looked like; the ability to have season tickets and to enjoy a fine meal after the game without worrying about what it cost. That's the kind of life I wanted, as meager now as it sounds. To top it off, in most of those seasons we won 8+ games in an 11-game season. I considered 7-4 to be a down year.

Fanaticism is born out of experiences like that.

Now? Most every Razorback game is available on television. Media coverage of the team is available at our fingertips 24/7. There are many other forms of entertainment, and many other teams, to compete for our attention. Geographic boundaries mean nothing; if I am of a mind to, I can become a fan of a team 2,000 miles a way just as easy as I can for the Hogs. On top of that, perhaps in our desire to become and remain financially viable, we have become a football program whose fans, by and large, have become conditioned to 6 or 7 wins and a bowl game at the end of the season being about all we can expect. 

Fanaticism dies, or is never born at all, out of experiences like that.

Would I be as obsessed by all things Razorback as I am now if I had been born in 1982 instead of 1962? I doubt it.     

Both of my kids graduated from UA, and both attend games with me every season. Both of them grew up attending games regularly. I don't expect that either will ever be a season-ticket holder. After I'm gone, I can see them maybe going to a football game or two a year, maybe the same in baseball.

Oklahawg

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

gchamblee

Ya in this day and age, if you haven't negotiated for your employer to pay for your cell phone then you're doing it wrong. I haven't paid a cell bill in like 20 years.

gchamblee

Quote from: WilsonHog on June 14, 2017, 01:33:45 pm
There is a changing of the guard that the decision-makers need to be aware of (and, being much smarter than I am, I am sure they are).

I am in my mid-50s. That means that I became a Razorback fan when the "Porkers" were about all there was. We got three stations on our television in northeast Arkansas. There was one or two college football games on television each Saturday. Coverage of other games came not from a 24-hour sports network, but from Dave Dial and the "Prudential Scoreboard" show. I read everything about the Razorbacks I could get my hands on, which typically meant reading Dave Campbell's "Arkansas Football" from cover to cover (I still have them). Other than the Texas game most seasons, watching the Razorbacks meant buying a ticket and going to the stadium (which for me meant WMS; my first game at Razorback Stadium didn't happen until I was a UA student). My folks were lower middle class at the very best; for them, buying tickets for even one game was out of the question. My brother-in-law had season tickets though, and he took me occasionally. When he did, he always took me to eat prime rib at Steak & Ale in Little Rock. As a boy, that came to be how I defined what "success" looked like; the ability to have season tickets and to enjoy a fine meal after the game without worrying about what it cost. That's the kind of life I wanted, as meager now as it sounds. To top it off, in most of those seasons we won 8+ games in an 11-game season. I considered 7-4 to be a down year.

Fanaticism is born out of experiences like that.

Now? Most every Razorback game is available on television. Media coverage of the team is available at our fingertips 24/7. There are many other forms of entertainment, and many other teams, to compete for our attention. Geographic boundaries mean nothing; if I am of a mind to, I can become a fan of a team 2,000 miles a way just as easy as I can for the Hogs. On top of that, perhaps in our desire to become and remain financially viable, we have become a football program whose fans, by and large, have become conditioned to 6 or 7 wins and a bowl game at the end of the season being about all we can expect. 

Fanaticism dies, or is never born at all, out of experiences like that.

Would I be as obsessed by all things Razorback as I am now if I had been born in 1982 instead of 1962? I doubt it.     

Both of my kids graduated from UA, and both attend games with me every season. Both of them grew up attending games regularly. I don't expect that either will ever be a season-ticket holder. After I'm gone, I can see them maybe going to a football game or two a year, maybe the same in baseball.

I have worked overtime on my kid to create the next generation hog fan that is obsessed with his team. So far, it seems to be working and it appears that he is having an effect on his close circle of friends. They pile up in my living room to watch hog games and it is glorious. He, in turn, has been trying to do the same to me concerning premier league soccer, which has somewhat worked but it is not a replacement for football.

gchamblee

Quote from: Oklahawg on June 14, 2017, 02:55:05 pm
Me as well.

Because of my grandfather, every year I pick a game that I will not watch on television but will sit in my garage with a pitcher of iced sweet tea and a radio and listen to it. I will watch the replay later that night or week, but I listen on the radio first. This was his favorite way to consume hog football and cardinal baseball games, and it is a memory I will forever cherish.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: gchamblee on June 14, 2017, 03:48:37 pm
Because of my grandfather, every year I pick a game that I will not watch on television but will sit in my garage with a pitcher of iced sweet tea and a radio and listen to it. I will watch the replay later that night or week, but I listen on the radio first. This was his favorite way to consume hog football and cardinal baseball games, and it is a memory I will forever cherish.

That's a pretty nice memorial you have going!

Seebs

To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

popcornhog

Quote from: ricepig on June 14, 2017, 05:20:14 am
Pissed off because of? You could have dropped your seats and gotten back in at $150/seat. Now the risk is,  dropping them, and there not being any available seats.

Exactly.

For them, it's the fact that they've had their seats for decades. They were gonna drop from Gold to Silver, which still would've kept them in the range of minimum donations for the seats thy have. But as punishment for dropping a level, they'd move to the back of the line and probably lose their seats.

Same for us if we drop from Wild to Tush. Which is silly because we could've just been at Tush all along and we'd be in the same seats and be able to keep them.

We re-upped for 2017 and might continue into 18, but we are considering dropping.
WPS

WilsonHog

Quote from: popcornhog on June 14, 2017, 06:33:04 pm
Exactly.

For them, it's the fact that they've had their seats for decades. They were gonna drop from Gold to Silver, which still would've kept them in the range of minimum donations for the seats thy have. But as punishment for dropping a level, they'd move to the back of the line and probably lose their seats.

Same for us if we drop from Wild to Tush. Which is silly because we could've just been at Tush all along and we'd be in the same seats and be able to keep them.

We re-upped for 2017 and might continue into 18, but we are considering dropping.

What was that line from North Dallas Forty? "When I call it a game, you call it a business. And when I call it a business, you call it a game."

I decided two years ago not to renew my season tickets or continue my contribution to the RF for baseball. I received a phone call from the Foundation to make sure I understood that doing so would cost me my football tickets. Even though my contribution for football was still enough to make me eligible for my seat location, reducing my contribution at all would result in me losing them. So, I continued to contribute for baseball and just didn't buy season tickets.

Now, it's just as well because I'm probably going to buy season baseball tickets again. Guess the good folks at the RF were looking out for me after all.

popcornhog

Quote from: WilsonHog on June 14, 2017, 07:31:10 pm
What was that line from North Dallas Forty? "When I call it a game, you call it a business. And when I call it a business, you call it a game."

I decided two years ago not to renew my season tickets or continue my contribution to the RF for baseball. I received a phone call from the Foundation to make sure I understood that doing so would cost me my football tickets. Even though my contribution for football was still enough to make me eligible for my seat location, reducing my contribution at all would result in me losing them. So, I continued to contribute for baseball and just didn't buy season tickets.

Now, it's just as well because I'm probably going to buy season baseball tickets again. Guess the good folks at the RF were looking out for me after all.

Haha.

Well, even if we give up our tickets, we'll still go up to Fayetteville for 3-4 games per year and just buy the tickets on StubHub. I am 100% with you on the tradition of it and I very much want my future children attending several games every year, especially to counteract my wife's LSU roots.

Fortunately she has embraced Arkansas, but we still make it to Baton Rouge for a game or two each year as well -- gotta make sure the kids are going to 2x as many games in Fay as in BR at a minimum.
WPS

ricepig

Quote from: popcornhog on June 15, 2017, 08:15:01 am
Haha.

Well, even if we give up our tickets, we'll still go up to Fayetteville for 3-4 games per year and just buy the tickets on StubHub. I am 100% with you on the tradition of it and I very much want my future children attending several games every year, especially to counteract my wife's LSU roots.

Fortunately she has embraced Arkansas, but we still make it to Baton Rouge for a game or two each year as well -- gotta make sure the kids are going to 2x as many games in Fay as in BR at a minimum.

Kids like corndogs, and parents know they're an easy meal to fix for them, you've got your work cut out, haha.

rhames

Quote from: gchamblee on June 14, 2017, 03:38:49 pm
Ya in this day and age, if you haven't negotiated for your employer to pay for your cell phone then you're doing it wrong. I haven't paid a cell bill in like 20 years.

Hopefully you don't send or get sent any naughty photos. Or hope your employer doesn't want to read any of your texts and such.

Playing with fire on that one.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

gchamblee

Quote from: rhames on June 15, 2017, 11:30:19 am

Hopefully you don't send or get sent any naughty photos. Or hope your employer doesn't want to read any of your texts and such.

Playing with fire on that one.

There is nothing he would learn about me by reading my texts that he doesn't already know. We were both in our 30's when I went to work for him and I told him all my dirty secrets. He knew then and knows now I couldn't pass a piss test for nothing. We are now both in our 50's and we have a solid friendship outside of work. I'm pretty safe :)

rhames

Quote from: gchamblee on June 15, 2017, 12:00:28 pm
There is nothing he would learn about me by reading my texts that he doesn't already know. We were both in our 30's when I went to work for him and I told him all my dirty secrets. He knew then and knows now I couldn't pass a piss test for nothing. We are now both in our 50's and we have a solid friendship outside of work. I'm pretty safe :)

Haha. Nice!
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

popcornhog

Quote from: ricepig on June 15, 2017, 10:52:20 am
Kids like corndogs, and parents know they're an easy meal to fix for them, you've got your work cut out, haha.

Exactly.
WPS

Athog

Quote from: HoginMemphis on June 10, 2017, 10:19:49 am
I have not priced other D-1 programs' football tickets but I'm sure Arkansas is in line with them. What amazes me is how many people are willing to spend their hard-earned $ on season tickets at this price level you mention. 4 seats is a reasonable number per game. So taking the $4K you mention for a season, that is just the start. How much do you spend per weekend for a Razorback game? Do you attend all 6 games or give away/sell your tickets to some? If you go for 2 nights, I imagine you spend another minimum $500 per weekend on lodging, food and gas. If you go to 4 of 6 games, that is $2K for a total of $6K per season. That requires somewhere around $10K in earnings to get the $6K after tax. Unless you literally have no other hobbies, not paying for kids' tuition, and live in a very modest home, you cannot afford that unless you making at least $100K per year. And probably not easy even at that income level.

It amazes me the time people spend on here giving their opinion on others
finances.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Athog on June 16, 2017, 07:16:02 am
It amazes me the time people spend on here giving their opinion on others
finances.

And making assumptions as to the details on their spending such as number of seats, travel time/cost, lodging cost and timeframe, meals, etc. Even so his estimated $6,000 per season should be counted as discretionary disposable income. I know some that don't make nearly $100,000 per year and spend ALL of their "fun" money on things I would never spend it on like hunting, traveling to a beach once or twice a year, going to movies all the time, going to festivals, frivolous toys for them or their kids, etc. We all have to decide what and how much we can afford to spend on fun. A lot of mine is Razorback Football.....................

LZH

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 16, 2017, 08:09:40 am
And making assumptions as to the details on their spending such as number of seats, travel time/cost, lodging cost and timeframe, meals, etc. Even so his estimated $6,000 per season should be counted as discretionary disposable income. I know some that don't make nearly $100,000 per year and spend ALL of their "fun" money on things I would never spend it on like hunting, traveling to a beach once or twice a year, going to movies all the time, going to festivals, frivolous toys for them or their kids, etc. We all have to decide what and how much we can afford to spend on fun. A lot of mine is Razorback Football.....................

Over the years when we would play at the park I invariably got several comments from locals who would say "I can't believe you spent that much money on a guitar and an amplifier". I couldn't wait to come back at 'em and say 'well its probably not as much as you have spent on 4-wheelers and rifles'. Of course they would say "but its for deer hunting!... that's different!"

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: LZH on June 16, 2017, 08:32:12 am
Over the years when we would play at the park I invariably got several comments from locals who would say "I can't believe you spent that much money on a guitar and an amplifier". I couldn't wait to come back at 'em and say 'well its probably not as much as you have spent on 4-wheelers and rifles'. Of course they would say "but its for deer hunting!... that's different!"

Exactly................the old saying "to each his own" is most appropriate. I don't like a lot of country music and have a cousin in the CMHOF but some people love it so much they spend tons of money on listening to it and traveling to concerts and Nashville all the time, etc. I don't like car racing but had an employee one time that spent ALL of his discretionary income and vacation time on Nascar and deer hunting. My dad loved bluegrass so much he was a member of a bluegrass association and went to Bluegrass festivals all the time including traveling to their national convention in Nashville every year. Some people spend their entire vacation and discretionary $ going to Disneyworld EVERY year.  Some do beaches, casino's, some skiing, some cruises, etc., etc.