Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Would you be happy with these numbers next year?

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, June 09, 2017, 09:47:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

And what kind of record do you think that we would have if we could produce these numbers as a game average next year? I'm providing last years game averages for purposes of comparison.

Offense                                   Defense
                        2016          2017                        2016        2017
Rush Att             39.8           40.0                        34.8         33.1
Rush Yds            164.2         225.0                       205.5       150.0
Yds/Rush              4.1            5.6                          5.9          4.5
TFL                     6.7            4.0                          4.5          6.5                   
TFL Yds              31.1           15.0                         22.0        24.2
Fumbles               0.8            0.4                           0.8          0.9                         
Rush TD's             1.6            2.5                           3.0          1.9
Pass Att              31.2          30.0                         28.5         30.2
Pass Compl          19.0           20.0                        16.8         16.7
Compl %              60.8          66.7                         58.9         55.4
Pass Yds             264.2         266.5                       221.2       211.5
Yds/Att                8.5            8.9                           7.8          7.0
Yds/Compl            13.9          13.3                         13.2         12.7
Sacks                  2.7            1.2                           1.9           2.4                         
INT's                   1.2            0.7                            0.8          1.0
Pass TD's             2.0            2.3                            0.9          1.0

Total Yards         428.4          491.5                       426.6        361.5
Go Hogs Go!

revolution

Looks good.  Improvement across the board.  Holding teams to 150 yards avg. rushing per game while increasing Hogs' rushing total to 225 avg. per game would be the key to a much better season, I think. 

Al Boarland

Wildhog

If I increased my avg driving distance to 300+, increased my GIR, and reduced my putts/round to 20, would my golf scores improve?
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hollywood_HOGan45

Just win. Anything better than 7 is good this year.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Wildhog on June 09, 2017, 10:48:49 am
If I increased my avg driving distance to 300+, increased my GIR, and reduced my putts/round to 20, would my golf scores improve?

What I posted above is probably more likely to occur. ;) jk

I think we will improve in terms of average yards per game if for no other reason than the staff and team being focused on not having second half let downs like we did last year. When spread out say 65 more yards each game over 70 plays each game, we are looking at less than 1 more yard per play. Extra effort, someone getting downfield and throwing a block, just getting in someones way might produce that.

I could see us making this kind of improvement on defense by being more aggressive and attacking in our philosophy. We gave up an unusually high number of big plays last year and that just has to stop. Heck I'd be happy if we just got the defensive yards down to 375 p/gm.

Go Hogs Go!

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 09, 2017, 11:00:10 am

I think we will improve in terms of average yards per game if for no other reason than the staff and team being focused on not having second half let downs like we did last year. When spread out say 65 more yards each game over 70 plays each game, we are looking at less than 1 more yard per play. Extra effort, someone getting downfield and throwing a block, just getting in someones way might produce that.

I could see us making this kind of improvement on defense by being more aggressive and attacking in our philosophy. We gave up an unusually high number of big plays last year and that just has to stop. Heck I'd be happy if we just got the defensive yards down to 375 p/gm.

The Auburn game was the worst Ive witnessed defensively outside the USC game in 2005.

No where to go but up.

Al Boarland

I think offenses are about to take a step forward this season, so I'm not sure we are going to see statistical improvement on defense.

Wildhog

No reason for the "jk."  That ain't gonna happen.  :)
1909/1964/1965/1977

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Al Boarland on June 09, 2017, 11:15:56 am
I think offenses are about to take a step forward this season, so I'm not sure we are going to see statistical improvement on defense.

I'm not so sure about that. If I recall correctly, last year was a bad year for most SEC defenses. I expect to see a rebound this coming season.
Go Hogs Go!

hogcard1964

How are both aspects of our offense improving?  Are we completely changing away from a pro-style?

yraciv

I think the run/pass balance will be closer to 50/50 this year with Austin's experience, and the lack of Rawleigh. Still think the new RB step up, but I'd say something like 36 carries at 5 Yds/rush would be more expected.

Al Boarland

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 09, 2017, 11:26:51 am
I'm not so sure about that. If I recall correctly, last year was a bad year for most SEC defenses. I expect to see a rebound this coming season.

Considering the increase in experience and upgrade in talent at QB for our opponents I don't see how you can come to that conclusion.

LSU - New OC
MS St. - Great QB in year 2
Ole Miss - Great QB in year 2
Bama - Great QB in year 2
Auburn - Upgrade at QB
SCar - Great QB in year 2

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Al Boarland on June 09, 2017, 11:38:51 am
Considering the increase in experience and upgrade in talent at QB for our opponents I don't see how you can come to that conclusion.

LSU - New OC
Auburn - Upgrade at QB

The same way that you are speculating about how great all of those QB's are going to be.
Go Hogs Go!

hogcard1964

LSU - New OC
Auburn - Upgrade at QB

I agree with your take on LSU, Miss St., Ole Miss., Bama and S. Carolina, but not Auburn.  Isn't he a bit of a wild card?

Al Boarland

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 09, 2017, 11:43:18 am
The same way that you are speculating about how great all of those QB's are going to be.

I listen and read what the experts have to say along with what I can see with my own eyes.  It appears you are pulling a bunch of stats out of thin air.  Somehow we are going to be statistically better in every aspect of the game?  Not realistic, IMO.

Al Boarland

Quote from: hogcard1964 on June 09, 2017, 11:45:44 am
I agree with your take on LSU, Miss St., Ole Miss., Bama and S. Carolina, but not Auburn.  Isn't he a bit of a wild card?

I mean, everyone is saying the kid is legit.  He will have weapons all around him with a very strong running game.  Even if he's not what everyone expects they have the starter from last season that was very efficient before he was injured.  Auburn will be a dangerous team this season.  I can't look at that matchup and say we will win that game right now.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Al Boarland on June 09, 2017, 11:47:24 am
I listen and read what the experts have to say along with what I can see with my own eyes.  It appears you are pulling a bunch of stats out of thin air.  Somehow we are going to be statistically better in every aspect of the game?  Not realistic, IMO.

I'll disagree. Both units should actually be improved this season and I expect them to be.
Go Hogs Go!

Al Boarland

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 09, 2017, 12:02:07 pm
I'll disagree. Both units should actually be improved this season and I expect them to be.
We hope the defense will be improved.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Al Boarland on June 09, 2017, 11:49:51 am
I mean, everyone is saying the kid is legit.  He will have weapons all around him with a very strong running game.  Even if he's not what everyone expects they have the starter from last season that was very efficient before he was injured.  Auburn will be a dangerous team this season.  I can't look at that matchup and say we will win that game right now.

He's a wild card.  I'm not too sure LSU will be in better shape either.

LRRandy

Quote from: hogcard1964 on June 09, 2017, 12:26:33 pm
He's a wild card.  I'm not too sure LSU will be in better shape either.
agree about LSU. I keep thinking coach mumbles is gonna wreck them.
This is fun, isn't it.

yraciv

LSU - New OC
Auburn - Upgrade at QB

Ole Miss used Chad Kelly against us last year who was drafted in 7th round. Shea Patterson has potential, but he was not Chad Kelly at the end of last year. He may improve, but IDK if it will be that much, and he lost his best weapons.

LSU is just going to hand the ball off to Gice. Danny Etling is adequate, but won't scare anyone.

I like Nick Fitzgerald at State, and think he'll improve his passing, but we were the only game he really lit a defense up with his arm. He is very inconsistent and SEC defenses will adjust

Auburn's QB will be good. It's not a question to me. Already proven, high level recruit, in Malzahn's offense....Auburn will move the ball on team's!

I think Bentley will be pretty good, but unless their line gets better he may be running for his life.  Roper & Muschamp hardly scream great QB development.

Al Boarland

June 09, 2017, 02:06:07 pm #22 Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 02:34:36 pm by Al Boarland
Quote from: yraciv on June 09, 2017, 01:24:39 pm
Ole Miss used Chad Kelly against us last year who was drafted in 7th round. Shea Patterson has potential, but he was not Chad Kelly at the end of last year. He may improve, but IDK if it will be that much, and he lost his best weapons.

LSU is just going to hand the ball off to Gice. Danny Etling is adequate, but won't scare anyone.

I like Nick Fitzgerald at State, and think he'll improve his passing, but we were the only game he really lit a defense up with his arm. He is very inconsistent and SEC defenses will adjust

Auburn's QB will be good. It's not a question to me. Already proven, high level recruit, in Malzahn's offense....Auburn will move the ball on team's!

I think Bentley will be pretty good, but unless their line gets better he may be running for his life.  Roper & Muschamp hardly scream great QB development.

Patterson can hurt you with his arm and his legs.  Sure they lost some pieces, but they still have talent.  It will just be a matter of if the team packs it in or not.

I think you are off on LSU.  Canada is a creative play caller with tons of motion to get the defense out of position.  Not a good match up for a D learning a new system with inferior talent.

Say what you want about MS St, but from a talent perspective we are on the same level and give me a Mullen coached QB any day of the week.  The guy can develop a QB.  Toss up game at best for us.

Agree on Auburn.

SCar is one we should win, but you just never know.  We have lost head scratchers every season with CBB running the show.

MuskogeeHogFan

June 09, 2017, 03:22:37 pm #23 Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 03:38:57 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: Al Boarland on June 09, 2017, 12:15:46 pm
We hope the defense will be improved.

Well yes, we "hope" but I "expect" it to be better and I think it will. I know that it isn't like we have 2-3 returning All SEC players or anything like that but the source of some of the trouble we had last year is gone. I'm not sure what it was that Robb Smith did or didn't do in managing to lose his team last season, but that is sure what appeared to have happened.

I think that Paul Rhoads will get this turned around pretty quickly. It isn't going to be an "Alabama" defense but I think that it will be far better than last year and schematically I believe we will always be prepared. I also want to say that he will make good and timely in-game adjustments, but I am going to wait to see how well we do with that once the season starts. We'll be a decent to good defense, not a great defensive unit, but certainly not a bad defense either.

As for some of the QB's you mentioned, we all know what Jalen Hurts is capable of doing. The only question is whether he can avoid hitting a 'sophomore slump".

At LSU they have Etling back and he could be improved, he completed less than 60% of his passes last year. Will a new OC make that big of a difference? We have heard they would in the past but they haven't set the world on fire offensively in some time.

At Miss State, Fitzgerald is a heck of a player and playmaker, but Dak Prescott he isn't. Just keep in mind that lots of QB's had banner games at the expense of our defense last year. For 2016 he completed just 54% of his passes.

At Auburn, Stidham will probably do well. He has most of his receivers returning and he had a nice year at Baylor before transferring even though he only threw 109 passes completing 75 for almost a 69% completion rate for 1265 yards, 12 TD's and 2 INT's. He'll fit Gus's offense well except that he wasn't much of a runner at Baylor. So Cam Newton he isn't.

At Ole Miss, Shea Patterson is a better runner than Chad Kelly was and Kelly had pretty good escapability, but Patterson has yet to show that he has as good of an arm as Kelly. Still, he is young and will develop and he will be a handful but he still completed just under 55% of his passes last year. Lots of RPO from them this year with more emphasis on the "R" in "RPO" unless he has improved by leaps and bounds in this throwing.

At S. Carolina, they had the #115 total offense in the country last season. McElwain transferred so that leaves Bentley who isn't the Dual Threat that McElwain was. Bentley proved that he was a capable passer last year going 125 of 190 (65.8%) for almost 203 yards p/gm, 9 TD's and 4 INT's. We'll see how good he turns out to be because he needs more talent around him.

So, how much of a challenge will these guys be? How good is the returning talent that surrounds them? They can't do it all.
Go Hogs Go!

DoubleReedHawgCaller

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on June 09, 2017, 11:02:06 am
The Auburn game was the worst Ive witnessed defensively outside the USC game in 2005.

No where to go but up.
How we forget things so easily. Were you in a coma during the JLS debacle?
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

Wildhog

Quote from: DoubleReedHawgCaller on June 09, 2017, 03:42:06 pm
How we forget things so easily. Were you in a coma during the JLS debacle?

That AU loss was a bigger margin of defeat than anything in 2012.
1909/1964/1965/1977

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Wildhog on June 09, 2017, 03:44:14 pm
That AU loss was a bigger margin of defeat than anything in 2012.

The Auburn game was the best example of a snowball rolling downhill that I can think of lately. It got away from us from the very beginning. Last years team and this current team are better than that. No reason to get beaten like that aside from just getting your dobber down early and checking it in.
Go Hogs Go!

LZH

....I don't expect to be happy at all next year, regardless.

Wildhog

Quote from: LZH on June 09, 2017, 03:55:39 pm

I hope things get better for you.
1909/1964/1965/1977

LZH

Quote from: Wildhog on June 09, 2017, 03:56:06 pm
I hope things get better for you.

I don't expect to have much hope, either. For some reason, this vision of 6-7 is seared into my brain.

Wildhog

Quote from: LZH on June 09, 2017, 04:08:33 pm
I don't expect to have much hope, either. For some reason, this vision of 6-7 is seared into my brain.

You should have that checked out.
1909/1964/1965/1977

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: LZH on June 09, 2017, 04:08:33 pm

We need to get you back on some Med's because if we go over 7 wins with 3 games remaining, your mood will shift and you will be back on the bandwagon. Maybe you need to switch over to Jimmy Buffett for a while? ;)
Go Hogs Go!

majestic

At least being competitive with the good teams and not blowing leads would be a big step for me to remain on the BB bandwagon.  This season is the litmus test for me. 9 wins (including a bowl) and I'm cool. Another mess like last year and I'm ready to move on.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

LZH

Quote from: Wildhog on June 09, 2017, 04:11:41 pm
You should have that checked out.

It's incurable....

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 09, 2017, 04:15:09 pm
We need to get you back on some Med's because if we go over 7 wins with 3 games remaining, your mood will shift and you will be back on the bandwagon. Maybe you need to switch over to Jimmy Buffett for a while? ;)

A shot or two of 21 year old Cuban hoohoo would go a long ways, but it costs more than the meds do.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: majestic on June 09, 2017, 04:19:23 pm
At least being competitive with the good teams and not blowing leads would be a big step for me to remain on the BB bandwagon.  This season is the litmus test for me. 9 wins (including a bowl) and I'm cool. Another mess like last year and I'm ready to move on.

Now see, I totally agree with that.

1. There isn't any reason aside from losing 25% of our starters to injury on both sides of the ball that we should win less than 7 every year.
2. Play competitively in every single play of every single game until the clock ticks off the last second in the 4th quarter.
3. No blowouts.
4. If you have given 125% effort throughout every game, play competitively, don't give games away due to mental or emotional lapses or a lack of game preparation, proper scheming or not making good in-game adjustments and you still lose...o.k., nothing to hang your head about.
Go Hogs Go!

Al Boarland

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 09, 2017, 04:28:36 pm
Now see, I totally agree with that.

1. There isn't any reason aside from losing 25% of our starters to injury on both sides of the ball that we should win less than 7 every year.
2. Play competitively in every single play of every single game until the clock ticks off the last second in the 4th quarter.
3. No blowouts.
4. If you have given 125% effort throughout every game, play competitively, don't give games away due to mental or emotional lapses or a lack of game preparation, proper scheming or not making good in-game adjustments and you still lose...o.k., nothing to hang your head about.

You can't have 125% effort.

moses_007

Quote from: LZH on June 09, 2017, 03:55:39 pm
This team can't sustain drives with freshmen running backs and green junior college receivers.  I look for a really bad year.

alohawg

"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Al Boarland on June 09, 2017, 09:16:50 pm
You can't have 125% effort.

Really? I hope you are kidding? I wonder why coaching staffs and teams make reference to effort levels above 100% all the time? Come on, man.
Go Hogs Go!

nwahogfan1

I like the numbers. One you did not mention was QB hurries.   We have to protect AA better and we have to put much more pressure on their QB.  The 3-4 defense us suppose to allow us to get more speed on the field and disguise from where we send the 4th rusher.  I hope this works.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Wildhog on June 09, 2017, 11:22:18 am
No reason for the "jk."  That ain't gonna happen.  :)
No way the Hogs have those stats this season.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on June 10, 2017, 10:36:06 am
I like the numbers. One you did not mention was QB hurries.   We have to protect AA better and we have to put much more pressure on their QB.  The 3-4 defense us suppose to allow us to get more speed on the field and disguise from where we send the 4th rusher.  I hope this works.

I think that we will see a much improved defense on the field this season.
Go Hogs Go!

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Wildhog on June 09, 2017, 10:48:49 am

IDK, BUT I do know that if you drank more, bitched less and tried to enjoy the offseason without fretting so much we would all have a better summer... You USED TO BE one of my favorite posters...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

lefty08

This doom and gloom is hilarious. Makes me glad I didn't know this site existed during the 2000s
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Wildhog

Quote from: lefty08 on June 10, 2017, 11:56:52 am
This doom and gloom is hilarious. Makes me glad I didn't know this site existed during the 2000s

Those were good times.
1909/1964/1965/1977

The OTR

I'm gonna be happy with those numbers...and I'm gonna be okay with 6 and 6, happy with 7 and 5, really happy with 8 and 4 and ecstatic with 9 and 3. 

I'm just happy to be alive and well and cooking chicken on the grill today. It's not going to be the end of the world if we don't win every game next year and I plan to be here supporting the Hogs and the coaches regardless of the win/loss record unlike a lot of you boys.

That's what I plan to do.

Hogs-n-Roses

Are they our numbers (sorry if already asked).If they include the games where we lost by 3 or more touchdowns to 4 of our division rivals and a laugher loss to a horrible mizzou team then no. Now if your satisfied with having a nice little ole 7 win team n season it may be OK for you. I would hope n pray for more especially the getting so embarrassed by Auburn.

MuskogeeHogFan

June 10, 2017, 02:40:47 pm #47 Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 03:00:16 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on June 10, 2017, 01:03:57 pm
Are they our numbers (sorry if already asked).If they include the games where we lost by 3 or more touchdowns to 4 of our division rivals and a laugher loss to a horrible mizzou team then no. Now if your satisfied with having a nice little ole 7 win team n season it may be OK for you. I would hope n pray for more especially the getting so embarrassed by Auburn.

Obviously the numbers from 2016 are our actual numbers. For 2017 I looked at what I thought might be reasonably possible. And if we can achieve those numbers for 2017 on both offense and defense we should win more than 7.

Let's think about this for a moment and you might see why I projected those numbers.

Last year we had an O-Line that didn't function well as a unit. Changes in blocking schemes, blocking techniques, foot placement, having to think too much instead of executing and then injured players being forced to play because we didn't have anyone as good or better to fill that spot. That weakened their ability to drive off the ball and at the very least, hold their ground. Anytime an O-Lineman is getting backed up into the backfield outside of design (run or pass plays) it creates a variety of problems for everyone. We also had RB's running to the wrong holes at times or missing their cut back lanes, missing their block in pass pro and TE's who were missing their chip blocks which help set up a play.

Even with all of those negative things swirling around on offense, we still managed to run for over 2100 yards and pass for over 3400 yards and that was with several second half breakdowns where the offense stalled. It is my understanding that many, if not all, of these problems have been rectified.

For most of the season the defense was an exercise in futility. I believe that the scheme was bad most of the time, alignments weren't correct, quality adjustments weren't made, details weren't emphasized and players were asked to do things that they weren't capable of doing, and then probably criticized when they couldn't do them. This most likely led to the de-motivation of the entire unit and might have resulted in some infighting and finger pointing because no one likes to get their arse chewed all the time when they are trying their best to do what is asked of them.

It is my understanding that all of this (if that is how it all went down), despite having to learn a new scheme, has been corrected under Paul Rhoads.

Offensively, we have some pretty solid weapons even if inexperienced. The O-Line has got their act together under Anderson but don't expect perfection. If one guy screws up his responsibilities on any given play, it can screw up the entire play. That said, we are more talented and more experienced and I believe it will show in our O-Line play this fall.

Though it was a shame to lose RWIII, I believe that the combination of Whaley, Maleek Williams and Hammonds will pick up the slack. We will run for more yards this season than we did the last. At TE, Cantrell, Kraus and O'Grady will get the job done along with incoming Jeremy Patton. Our WR's are going to be better than advertised with Stewart, Martin and Jones on one side, Cornelius, Pettway and Nance on the other, with Hammonds being stuck out in the Slot at times.

I think Allen will have a similar Senior season as his older brother did, with around the same completion percentage as he had, but with more wins.

I'm not going into detail on defense but given all that went wrong last year and the lack of motivation, I expect the defense this year to feel like they have something to prove in every game and will play improved football as a result. We will have a good defense and one that I think that we can be proud of (especially after last year) that will help keep us in games and give us an opportunity to win. Not a great defense by SEC standards, but good and certainly far better than last season.

That's the reason for some of these numbers and my optimism.
Go Hogs Go!

Pork Twain

I would actually be happy with 2016 numbers on offense, with better execution and fewer mistakes and your projected 2017 numbers on defense.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Pork Twain on June 10, 2017, 02:59:13 pm
I would actually be happy with 2016 numbers on offense, with better execution and fewer mistakes and your projected 2017 numbers on defense.

We need to produce more and more consistently on offense this year and the defense, will show up. I think that Paul Rhoads has got this.
Go Hogs Go!