Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas' formula for success

Started by OneLardAlmighty, February 03, 2010, 07:57:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

OneLardAlmighty

The historical pattern for Arkansas, at least since the 1970s, is that we have had about 2 teams  per decade capable of winning 10+ games and making real noise in a conference or national title chase, not that those teams always live up to that possibility.  We have never done this simply by outrecruiting other teams 'on paper', but with solid recruiting over consecutive seasons, punctuated by a few stars here and there, that a couple of times per decade is given the opportunity to mature into teams with strong junior and senior classes.

Our best shot for improving upon that historical pattern is, first of all, not to screw it up when those rare opportunities for a great season present themselves, second, to capitalize on those opportunities and convert them to marginally better recruiting (I doubt we'll ever consistently recruit as well as Florida, Alabama, and Texas), third, not to blow any classes or consecutive classes a la HDN where we have a 45% hit rate and thus no depth, and fourth to continue to maintain the kind of depth that allows us to stockpile redshirts as far as possible and to build the kinds of teams we have been historically able to win with a little more frequently. 

I think this class fits nicely into that formula, especially if we are able to capitalize on the opportunity we have for a big season next year and convert that success into a strong 2011 class.  I know this class is not spectacular on paper, but it does appear pretty solid.  There may be some who don't make it to campus, but there doesn't seem to be anyone who is obviously incapable of playing in the SEC.  It should be the kind of class that can at least provide good depth and a handful of real playmakers for two or three seasons.  If so, then we will be just fine.