Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New tailgate grill

Started by jdelo77, September 03, 2015, 07:24:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jdelo77

bigstyx

Looking good. Down to the wire, should be great for the game. What's on the first menu?

ldfergu

Nice! I wanna do something like this down the road

jdelo77

Quote from: bigstyx on September 04, 2015, 06:56:59 am
Looking good. Down to the wire, should be great for the game. What's on the first menu?

About four dozen beer brats ...

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

jdelo77

I lit about 10 pounds of kingsford in it and it smells bad like chemicals , I'm going to strip the inside of the pit again and try to get whatever is on the inside off of it ...

bigstyx

Wayne Watson

Quote from: jdelo77 on September 04, 2015, 06:08:12 pm
I lit about 10 pounds of kingsford in it and it smells bad like chemicals , I'm going to strip the inside of the pit again and try to get whatever is on the inside off of it ...

You may need to season it like you do a smoker.  Put some wet hickory wood on the fire and close the lid to smoke the insides.
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

old hog

jdelo77

It needed new grates !!! Going to burn it every night starting tomorrow until Saturday ...

bigstyx

Was that your chemical smell, the old grates?

jdelo77

The old grates were just rusty and in rough shape but , no it was likely the paint that I got on the inside of the lid , there were a few spots that I got paint on the inside , I've stripped most of the inside down to bare metal ...

jdelo77

Added a firebox , it really helps control temps a lot better ..

toshortrock

Toshortrock,,,,,,GO HOGS/////

Boog41

jdel, how did your truck's tailgate hold up to the heat?? Looks like a sweet set-up.

jdelo77

Quote from: Boog41 on September 20, 2015, 10:37:43 am
jdel, how did your truck's tailgate hold up to the heat?? Looks like a sweet set-up.

I shortened the smoke stack from 12 inches to a different 8 inch stack , it never got above 350 and just for safe measure I threw an old wool blanket over the tailgate but it never got hot ...

jdelo77

It cooked 36 burgers ( 3/4 pound each ) with ease ! It's nice to not have to cook things in batches !!

Donny2665

This life's hard, but it's harder if you're stupid.~George V.Higgins

Ignorance is a voluntary misfortune!~Nicolas Ling

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.~Mark Twain

DeltaBoy

Sounds like you got it set up just Right.