Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Masterbuilt Electric Smoker

Started by hogsrolling, March 30, 2015, 09:41:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsrolling

Anyone have one?  If so what are your thoughts?  Thanks

BR

Have had one 7 years,  love it... Have it inside my Tiki Bar..
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

McKdaddy

The wife bought be one in June '14.  Works really well for this terrible, terrible grill-cook.  Dummy proof.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

TomasPistola

Absolutely awesome. Have the stand for it as well. Only wish I'd gotten the biggest one.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: TomasPistola on March 30, 2015, 03:50:50 pm
Absolutely awesome. Have the stand for it as well. Only wish I'd gotten the biggest one.

Had one for 2 years and all of the sudden it started throwing my breaker. Then it went out completely. Found out it was a heating element problem with my particular unit. I loved it though while it lasted. Pretty much set and forget.

Thinking about getting a pellet smoke, but still researching them.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

TomasPistola

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on March 30, 2015, 05:53:05 pm
Had one for 2 years and all of the sudden it started throwing my breaker. Then it went out completely. Found out it was a heating element problem with my particular unit. I loved it though while it lasted. Pretty much set and forget.

As I understand, replacing the heating elements on those are not that difficult. You might be able to repair it.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

rzrbk4life

Absolutely love it. Would highly recommend it.
Let's call those hogs!!!!

Hogman24

If you go this direction get the generation 1 which has the controls on the top back. The generation 2 with the controls on the front been having a lot of issues with the control unit going out and the way it's built. If you are looking for a great smoker for the the price you can't beat the Weber smokie mountain. I have both and prefer my Weber over my electric master built.

HogCard

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on March 30, 2015, 05:53:05 pm

Mine is also throwing GFI.  If I plug into a non GFI, it works.

BR

Here is mine, inside my Tiki Bar.  Vented outside with heating duct.  Works perfect, only use AMAZING Smoke Pellets and sawdust inside, smokes for hours. Do not use chip tray.  Have a 12x12 Ceramic Tile over heating coil to even out hot spots... Have had for 5 years, have had to re do wires on heating element twice, but thats it..

BR

baitshop

I have had 3, the last 2 were like BR's. The first one I ordered online, and I had it for about 2 years, the element burned out and Masterbuilt told me that they no longer a carried the part and that they couldn't help me.

The second one I bought at Sam's because they told me that they guaranteed that I could get parts if I had problems. It lasted 2 years and the lower hinge on the door just rotted and the door would just hang by the upper hinge.

I bought a third one (like the one in BR's picture) and 6 months after I bought it the control unit went out. Each one of these Masterbuilt's was stored under a 24x15 patio cover and with a cover on them at all times that the unit wasn't being used. I will say that with all 3, when they were working they cooked what I thought was pretty good.

After the 3rd one I knew that I had to make a change and that I still wanted an electric smoker (just too easy compared to a stick burner) and spent about 6 months reading blogs, message boards, and reviews on every electric smoker that I could fine. When I finally pulled the trigger I spent $759 and bought a CookShack sm025. In my research I found that some folks had had their CookShack for 25 years with no problems. They are incredibly well made. It is basically a commercial grade smoker that they have sized down for residential use. It cooks fast and more consistently in both summer and winter than my 3 Masterbuilts. If you have problems, you just pick up a phone and call their offices in Ponca City and ask for Karen or (CEO) Stuart. They will talk to you about recipes, cooking times, temps, or techniques, and they are always interested in what and how your smoking experience is with their product.

It is twice the price of a Masterbuilt, but I think that it will be the last smoker that I have to buy.
"Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them" - Ronald Reagan

Duke of Swine

Quote from: HogCard on April 02, 2015, 02:25:21 pm

Mine is also throwing GFI.  If I plug into a non GFI, it works.

Mine is doing the same thing. 

DeltaBoy

GFI plugs are not made for smokers,  deep Frezzers or Ice Box's.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Grizzlyfan

I know it's nice to see the food while it's cooking but does the glass door cause heat loss compared to the non-glass varieties?

And what about stainless steel versus regular(?) steel variety?

BR

https://www.facebook.com/groups/249515721871731/  A GREAT Masterbuilt Facebook Group page..... Any Problem I have ever had, called Masterbuilt Customer service and it was took care of...

Filthy_McSwine

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on August 10, 2015, 02:55:15 pm
I know it's nice to see the food while it's cooking but does the glass door cause heat loss compared to the non-glass varieties?

And what about stainless steel versus regular(?) steel variety?
What anybody be willing to offer some opinion?  For the same dollars spent, smaller capacity stainless steel versus larger capacity regular steel?  Glass doors or no?

arkhogball

Got one about two months ago.  Absolutely love it.  Wish I would have gotten on sooner.  I would say, make sure to to get a digital thermometer for best results.

baitshop

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on August 14, 2015, 09:39:58 am
What anybody be willing to offer some opinion?  For the same dollars spent, smaller capacity stainless steel versus larger capacity regular steel?  Glass doors or no?

My 3 Masterbuilt's did not cook as fast as my CookShack, especially in the winter. I don't have to keep water inside my CookShack to maintain moisture in the meat. I miss having the glass door but find that it was more of a convenience than a necessity.
"Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them" - Ronald Reagan

majestic

I would (and did) get a pellet smoker/grill combo.  A lot of the champion BBQ teams are using them now.  So, so simple to use.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

majestic

But to answer your question, sort of, directly.... what can you "see" with glass doors, anyway?  If there is any appreciable amount of smoke, you can't really see the meat anyway.  And what are you going to judge by looking at it? You are going to get the bark you want by leaving it alone for the first 3 or 4 hours, so just get the temp right and leave it alone. 
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

95_alum

Goin' on 4 years now. I like it a lot. I mainly smoke pork butts with it. 245° for 12 hours. I've been using hickory, but I'd like to try mesquite when my current stash is used up.

PorkRinds

Quote from: 95_alum on August 25, 2015, 12:28:40 pm
Goin' on 4 years now. I like it a lot. I mainly smoke pork butts with it. 245° for 12 hours. I've been using hickory, but I'd like to try mesquite when my current stash is used up.

Try some cherry.  I love the combo of hickory and a bit of cherry with ribs and pork butts.

bigstyx

Haven't used mine since I got the BGE, but i think I'm going to use it to dry and smoke peppers. I did go to a brunch this weekend where the guy had the same model as BR. He smoked 3 trays of bacon candy, using brown sugar and cayenne, which is a little different recipe than i've used. It was out of this world, so props to the Masterbuilt.

95_alum

Quote from: PorkRinds on August 25, 2015, 12:46:39 pm
Try some cherry.  I love the combo of hickory and a bit of cherry with ribs and pork butts.
Cherry it is! Will do. Thanks.

Lanny

Use mine all the time for briskets.  The glass in front does not hurt the temperature, I like to see how much smoke is circling around the meat.  Highly recommend
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

DeltaBoy

bobbybouchet

I had the same problem with the heating element on mine at only about 1 year and only about 10 uses.  Now, if I can get it to stay on, I have to use an oven temp gauge to try to measure the actual smoker temp.  When I set it to about 180, it is actually about 250 inside.  I ruined a couple of expensive cuts of meat figuring out it was cooking at about 350 when I had it set at 225.  Seems the heating elements are a VERY common problem...which is obviously a big problem. And I really liked it when it was working.  It would seem to be running fine, then I would go check it 45 minutes later to add wood chips and it had shut off.  I won't buy another unless Masterbuilt announces they have fixed the heating element problem, I will just use this sparingly until it craps out completely.  For 4-6 hour meats, I have just started using my weber kettle grill for most smoking.  It is much easier to control temp than I expected, but don't get as much smoke flavor by putting wood chips on the coals.  But at least I know it will be cooking at the temp I need and not just shut off.  Someday I would like to get a barrel smoker and use the actual wood as the heat source.  It may require a lot of trial and error to get to know the smoker, but in the end it will be the most reliable source.  The only problem is that I won't be able to travel with it, which is why I liked the electric.

BR