Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Royal Red Shrimp?

Started by HawgWild, February 20, 2015, 03:14:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HawgWild

Got any fans of these here? If so, how do you cook them? Going down to the Gulf next month and they're in season, I think.

Junkyard Hog

Quote from: HawgWild on February 20, 2015, 03:14:10 pm
Got any fans of these here? If so, how do you cook them? Going down to the Gulf next month and they're in season, I think.

Never cooked any but I've eaten a ton.  That's about all we eat when we head to Gulf Shores.  From what I understand, they don't take long to cook and you don't need to overcook them.

old hog

Deep water shrimp. Love them. Just don't overcook and be sure to put them in cold bath when done.

HawgWild

I've read they cook faster than regular shrimp? That correct? How long do you boil them?

Want me to bring you some back from Billy's?

Boarcephus

I'm not a fan of  the royal reds.  Just a little too mushy for me.  I like the ones that have a "snap" to them when you eat them. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

old hog

Get water boiling, no salt and don't really need seasoning, sweet enough as they are. Drop frozen shrimp for 1/2 to 2 minutes MAX. When they turn white they are done. Immediately douse in ice water. When overcooked they get mushy, which is usually the case in restaurants, so keep a close eye on them.
  Yea' would definitely take some. I'll PM ya.

old hog

Royal reds come from 1200+ plus water of the gulf and do not see the light of day. Season is very early to mid spring.