Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Game day food!!

Started by gawntrail, February 16, 2015, 03:49:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gawntrail

What do you fix or buy for watching Hog games at home or a game day house party?

Early Sat morning (5:00ish), I make chili.  My chili is more soup-stew/chili combo cause I like tons of stuff and color in my chili.

3 lbs ground chuck or turkey (depends on mood) browned, crumbly, and fat left in
2 cans chili ready diced tomato's - no salt added
3 small cans tomato sauce - no salt added
2 can dark red kidney beans
2 can light red kidney beans
2 can black beans
2 can pinto beans
(All cans of beans are drained and rinsed multiple times to rid them of the fart juice they are packed in)
2 can corn drained
1 can sliced carrots
1 can cut green beans
Lots of color and yummy tummy filling w/ the veggies
1 1\2  packets McCormick's low sodium chili mix powder

Dump all in crockpot, add enough water so all can be stirred together without too much extra on top turn on high and cover.  Stir once an hour.  About 6-8 hrs, depending on how hungry you are and game time.

Corn bread, fish crackers, onions, shredded cheese optional. 

Good fill you up stuff.  Not too much heart burn, gas, or late night trips the way I make it.  My age, and eating tons of SoCal spicy, greasy Mexican food my whole life I've had to tone it down a few notches. You can definitely torch it up with some peppers and/or sauce and add more chili mix/chili powder if you need more cowbell.

I do lots of typical things too.  Dogs, burgers, chips, veggie plates, smoke a butt or a brisket too. Just thought I'd ask and share something a little different.

Of course beer.  My choice is DOS Equis Amber in the bottle, and/or a growler or two from Ozark Beer Company here in Rogers.  Always Nicuraguan maduro cigars too.

Danimal

Smoked ribs (usually apple or peach wood with a sprinkling of hickory), Buffalo chicken dip with celery spears and pita chips, mass quantities of Blue Moon (preferably Valencia Grove Amber or Summer Honey Wheat)...  8)

gawntrail

Quote from: Danimal on February 16, 2015, 04:29:29 pm
Smoked ribs (usually apple or peach wood with a sprinkling of hickory), Buffalo chicken dip with celery spears and pita chips, mass quantities of Blue Moon (preferably Valencia Grove Amber or Summer Honey Wheat)...  8)

Sounds good.  I'll have to experiment through spring and summer to build my smoking skills.  Being from SoCal, I thought I was bbqing... Found out I was only burning whatever went on the grill.  Totally different world here.

HF#1

When I buy a house, I will have a deluxe variety smoker that I can pump out some delicious food out of.  Kind of hard to have one living in a duplex.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

twistitup

Quote from: gawntrail on February 16, 2015, 03:49:21 pm
What do you fix or buy for watching Hog games at home or a game day house party?

Early Sat morning (5:00ish), I make chili.  My chili is more soup-stew/chili combo cause I like tons of stuff and color in my chili.

3 lbs ground chuck or turkey (depends on mood) browned, crumbly, and fat left in
2 cans chili ready diced tomato's - no salt added
3 small cans tomato sauce - no salt added
2 can dark red kidney beans
2 can light red kidney beans
2 can black beans
2 can pinto beans
(All cans of beans are drained and rinsed multiple times to rid them of the fart juice they are packed in)
2 can corn drained
1 can sliced carrots
1 can cut green beans
Lots of color and yummy tummy filling w/ the veggies
1 1\2  packets McCormick's low sodium chili mix powder

Dump all in crockpot, add enough water so all can be stirred together without too much extra on top turn on high and cover.  Stir once an hour.  About 6-8 hrs, depending on how hungry you are and game time.

Corn bread, fish crackers, onions, shredded cheese optional. 

Good fill you up stuff.  Not too much heart burn, gas, or late night trips the way I make it.  My age, and eating tons of SoCal spicy, greasy Mexican food my whole life I've had to tone it down a few notches. You can definitely torch it up with some peppers and/or sauce and add more chili mix/chili powder if you need more cowbell.

I do lots of typical things too.  Dogs, burgers, chips, veggie plates, smoke a butt or a brisket too. Just thought I'd ask and share something a little different.

Of course beer.  My choice is DOS Equis Amber in the bottle, and/or a growler or two from Ozark Beer Company here in Rogers.  Always Nicuraguan maduro cigars too.

All that and no Fritos?
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Danimal

Quote from: gawntrail on February 16, 2015, 04:38:47 pm
Sounds good.  I'll have to experiment through spring and summer to build my smoking skills.  Being from SoCal, I thought I was bbqing... Found out I was only burning whatever went on the grill.  Totally different world here.
LOL. Pretty simple once ya get the hang of it. Smear them with mustard, then sprinkle a good rub on them (rub recipe's are easy to find online). Put them in the fridge overnight. Make a "mop" in a spray bottle -- equal parts apple juice, apple cider vinegar, and cooking oil. Try to keep your smoker at about 220 degrees throughout the process. Spray the ribs every 45 minutes. Smoke them for 4 hrs or so. Once there done, lay them on foil, liberally spray them with the mop, add more rub, then wrap em up. Let them steam in the smoker another 45 minutes. Unwrap and enjoy!

gawntrail

Quote from: Danimal on February 16, 2015, 05:02:54 pm
LOL. Pretty simple once ya get the hang of it. Smear them with mustard, then sprinkle a good rub on them (rub recipe's are easy to find online). Put them in the fridge overnight. Make a "mop" in a spray bottle -- equal parts apple juice, apple cider vinegar, and cooking oil. Try to keep your smoker at about 220 degrees throughout the process. Spray the ribs every 45 minutes. Smoke them for 4 hrs or so. Once there done, lay them on foil, liberally spray them with the mop, add more rub, then wrap em up. Let them steam in the smoker another 45 minutes. Unwrap and enjoy!

I will try that.

DeltaBoy

I do Poppers , Sausage and Mississippi Sin.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.