Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fresh Fish from the Gulf Got a Good Recipe?

Started by HawgWild, September 11, 2011, 12:11:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HawgWild

September 11, 2011, 12:11:45 pm Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 04:20:28 pm by HawgWild
I've never grilled much fish other than Tuna steaks. Going to be on the Outer Banks in a few weeks and will be able to catch and/or buy fish right off the docks - flounder, mullett, drum, bluefish, sheepshead, stuff like this. Anyone care to share a can't miss recipe or two for grilling and/or pan frying fish?

TIA

Shag66

hmmm  there was a really good thread about that here somewhere...  Let me see if I can find it...

Shag66

Can't seem to find it...

I know when we go to Florida we'd fry the Mullett. 

I'll keep looking.

SpareRib

Quote from: HawgWild on September 11, 2011, 12:11:45 pm
I've never grilled much fish other than Tuna steaks. Going to be on the Outer Banks in a few weeks and will be able to catch and/or buy fish right off the docks - flounder, mullett, drum, bluefish, sheepshead, stuff like this. Anyone care to share a can't miss recipe or two for grilling and/or pan frying fish?

TIA

Flounder sauteed in butter is super.  Dust it lightly with flour.  Get the butter hot. Lay the flounder in and lightly sprinkle salt, pepper, and a little Spike (not too much).  Flip flounder when golden brown and squeeze lemon juice over the fish.  If you like, you can sprinkle a few capers over the fish and another squirt of lemon juice before serving.  Most important tip for fish - don't overcook - you need to take it off when it is JUST done.  Overcooking ruins good fresh fish.

Here's a 60 second sauce that's great on this fish.  Mayonnaise, lemon juice to taste, a little powdered mustard, and some thinly shaved onion chopped up.  Stir and serve.

This recipe is great with any white fish filet or flatfish. The sauce,, if you leave out the onion is terrific over sauteed broccoli or asparagus as well.

Can't give you exact proportions 'cause I cook by the "shake and pour" method.

PS - I ate this the first time some years ago in a very nice restaurant in Paris, France.  Paid the waiter to tell me what the chef was doing and was surprised that it was so simple.  (Two differences - he used clarified butter and didn't use the Spike). 
I'll fish 'til the money's gone ... then I'll fish for food!<br /><br />My heritage - Dutch/Polish/German on one side, English/Welsh on the other.  I'm a mutt, not a show dog.  Proud to be an American!

BR

I like any grilled fish with a Mango type Salsa...
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

twistitup

September 11, 2011, 04:54:25 pm #5 Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 09:27:24 pm by twistitup
I worked in a restaurant call The Black Olive as a teen when I was going to school in Baltimore. When grilling fish we left the head on, scaled it, cut out the gills & guts...then we cut a line down each side of the dorsal fin about 1" deep and 3-4" long....grill the fish 3 min per pound, flip after half of time is up....you know when the fish is done when you can pull the dorsal fin out with your tongs.

When ready to serve, filets will fall off the bone by running the backside of a spoon down the slit made by the dorsal and lifting gently. Takes a little practice - but we did this table side at the black olive. One table could share a 5# sea bass....

Good fish sauce we used...3 part lemon juice, 1 part olive oil, 1 tbsp fresh oregano/tyme mixed, 2 oz capers

Don't flip fish with your tongs - use a fish spatula.

Certain flat fish like John Dory or flounder are better done whole in a giant sautee pan, they don't do so well on the grill.

When grilling fish, keep it simple and light - fresh grilled fish is hard to beat!
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

HawgWild

Quote from: SpareRib on September 11, 2011, 04:40:41 pm
Flounder sauteed in butter is super.  Dust it lightly with flour.  Get the butter hot. Lay the flounder in and lightly sprinkle salt, pepper, and a little Spike (not too much).  Flip flounder when golden brown and squeeze lemon juice over the fish.  If you like, you can sprinkle a few capers over the fish and another squirt of lemon juice before serving.  Most important tip for fish - don't overcook - you need to take it off when it is JUST done.  Overcooking ruins good fresh fish.

Here's a 60 second sauce that's great on this fish.  Mayonnaise, lemon juice to taste, a little powdered mustard, and some thinly shaved onion chopped up.  Stir and serve.

This recipe is great with any white fish filet or flatfish. The sauce,, if you leave out the onion is terrific over sauteed broccoli or asparagus as well.

PS - I ate this the first time some years ago in a very nice restaurant in Paris, France.  Paid the waiter to tell me what the chef was doing and was surprised that it was so simple.  (Two differences - he used clarified butter and didn't use the Spike).

+1 Thanks!

HawgWild

Quote from: twistitup on September 11, 2011, 04:54:25 pm
I worked in a restaurant call The Black Olive as a teen when I was going to school in Baltimore. When grilling fish we left the head on, cut out the gills & guts...then we cut a line down each side of the dorsal fin about 1" deep and 3-4" long....grill the fish 3 min per pound, flip after half of time is up....you know when the fish is done when you can pull the dorsal fin out with your tongs.

When ready to serve, filets will fall off the bone by running the backside of a spoon down the slit made by the dorsal and lifting gently. Takes a little practice - but we did this table side at the black olive. One table could share a 5# sea bass....

Good fish sauce we used...3 part lemon juice, 1 part olive oil, 1 tbsp fresh oregano/tyme mixed, 2 oz capers

Certain flat fish like John Dory or flounder are better done whole in a giant sautee pan, they don't do so well on the grill.

When grilling fish, keep it simple and light - fresh grilled fish is hard to beat!

+1 Thanks!

DeltaBoy

Dust with Old Bay Seasoning and a dash of Cavanders and grill away.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

SpareRib

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 13, 2011, 10:17:58 am
Dust with Old Bay Seasoning and a dash of Cavanders and grill away.

Either of those is probably good on ice cream.   ;D

Seriously, if you have a good fresh white fish fillet and want to bring that mild sweet flavor out, heed Delta's words and "dust" sparingly.
I'll fish 'til the money's gone ... then I'll fish for food!<br /><br />My heritage - Dutch/Polish/German on one side, English/Welsh on the other.  I'm a mutt, not a show dog.  Proud to be an American!

DeltaBoy

Well you know in the Delta we rarely grill fish; it is gutted skinned or scraped  dipped in beaten seasoned egg and rolled in corn mill then it takes a bath in peanut oil until golden brown.
Since I moved to the Lonestar State I bake fish most of the time or get it when I eat out.
I grill fish about as often as HDN calls the right play.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

jbcarol

Just saw Keith Stone grill a big one.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

theFlyingHog

Quote from: tallahasseehog on September 15, 2011, 01:27:51 pm
Do you run in the house and scream, 'I grilled that fish, brutha!'?
Reading this at 2am, I lol'd. +1

Boarcephus

Guess I'm just lacking the Grilled Fish Cooking gene about like I'm missing the Making Good Salsa gene.

I've yet to make a decent grilled fish I can eat.  We're headed to Sandestin in a couple weeks and I'd kill to be able to grill a blackened fish like they do at Harbor Docks.  Don't know if I need a bigass, flat grill or what.  I've got the cast iron skillets but it still doesn't turn out decent. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

SpareRib

Quote from: Boarcephus on September 16, 2011, 07:00:39 am
Guess I'm just lacking the Grilled Fish Cooking gene about like I'm missing the Making Good Salsa gene.

I've yet to make a decent grilled fish I can eat.  We're headed to Sandestin in a couple weeks and I'd kill to be able to grill a blackened fish like they do at Harbor Docks.  Don't know if I need a bigass, flat grill or what.  I've got the cast iron skillets but it still doesn't turn out decent. 

For me the secret is to cook over high heat and take the fish off quickly.  If it stays even a minute or two too long, it dries out and the flavor of the fish changes.

DeltaBoy

September 16, 2011, 09:05:10 am #15 Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 11:47:01 am by DeltaBoy
Quote from: tallahasseehog on September 15, 2011, 01:27:51 pm
Do you run in the house and scream, 'I grilled that fish, brutha!'?

NOPE  but I do like to eat at Sonic. 

Boarcephus

Quote from: SpareRib on September 16, 2011, 07:33:01 am
For me the secret is to cook over high heat and take the fish off quickly.  If it stays even a minute or two too long, it dries out and the flavor of the fish changes.

What I need to do is see if they'll let me slip back there and watch them do it once.  I've screwed up more good pieces of fish than I care to admit. 

I haven't tried it on the egg yet.  What I might need to do is fire it up, throw a cast iron skillet on it, raise the temp to around 500 and try it that way. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

DeltaBoy

Ned always seems to do stuff Right.  He is as good as the BBQ BiBle Man.

HawgWild

Finally found some Spike today. Going to load it up and take it with me to the Outer Banks this weekend along with SpareRib and Twistitup's' recipes.

HawgWild

SpareRib - Tried this today with some fresh caught flounder from the Ocracoke Fish Market. It was wonderful!
Thanks again for the tip.

SpareRib

I love flounder that way.  Glad you enjoyed it. 

(I'd like to be where you are right now)   :)

twistitup

Quote from: SpareRib on September 27, 2011, 12:32:35 am
I love flounder that way.  Glad you enjoyed it. 

(I'd like to be where you are right now)   :)

Just go there in your mind.....a little trick I learned from Ricky Williams.

SpareRib

HawgWild

It's been overcast and spitting rain so rather than attempting something on the grill I picked up some lump crab meat for some crab pasta. Tomorrow is supposed to be cloud free. I think I'll try Twistitup's directions on a Pompano.

twistitup

Quote from: HawgWild on September 27, 2011, 02:52:48 pm
It's been overcast and spitting rain so rather than attempting something on the grill I picked up some lump crab meat for some crab pasta. Tomorrow is supposed to be cloud free. I think I'll try Twistitup's directions on a Pompano.

Be sure to get that grill grate super hot and wipe it down with oil before laying the fish on to keep it from sticking.

HawgWild

Had to go back and dig up these cooking tips from SpareRib & twistitup for my upcoming trip to Fort Morgan next month. Tried them when I was in Ocracoke and they were winners. Wonder if there'll be in Flounder on Gulf Shores?

Anybody got any can't miss receipies for me to try this trip?

TIA

HawgWild

Quote from: twistitup on September 11, 2011, 04:54:25 pm
I worked in a restaurant call The Black Olive as a teen when I was going to school in Baltimore. When grilling fish we left the head on, scaled it, cut out the gills & guts...then we cut a line down each side of the dorsal fin about 1" deep and 3-4" long....grill the fish 3 min per pound, flip after half of time is up....you know when the fish is done when you can pull the dorsal fin out with your tongs.

SpareRib

HW - Used to stay at a little condo project called Sailboat Bay near Fort Morgan.  There is a dock for each condo.  We could always sit on ours and catch flounder for dinner.  Enjoy yourself.

Oh, here's another tip.  Try some spike on your next green salad.  Just dust it sparingly and dress as you normally would.  For my taste, Spike is best when used with a light touch.

HawgWild

Spike is good, no great stuff!

I'm looking forward to having some Flounder that's a good as I had in Ocracoke. It was outstanding!

hogville22

Tailgating at Baum, talk to Mike and Cash about their Parmesan Ocean Fish grilled over charcoal. It was excellent!

HawgWild

Headed back down to the Gulf. Looking forward to having some great seafood. I'm taking recipes shared on this thread that I've tested before - Thanks SpareRib and twistitup! Went to the store but was unable to find Spike. SpareRib, got a replacement I can use instead? I really liked that "60 second sauce" on pan sautéed flounder!

TIA