Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Belvedere Country Club

Started by GolfNut57, January 17, 2018, 01:44:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GolfNut57

Has anyone else heard anything about this club in Hot Springs reopening anytime soon? It was closed down in 2013 but I have read that it was bought by a new owner and they have been renovating it and are planning on reopening it soon. But no other details were given on the matter.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Wildhog

Belvedere has beaten my ass more than any other golf course I can recall.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: GolfNut57 on January 17, 2018, 01:44:20 pm
Has anyone else heard anything about this club in Hot Springs reopening anytime soon? It was closed down in 2013 but I have read that it was bought by a new owner and they have been renovating it and are planning on reopening it soon. But no other details were given on the matter.
Nice course at one time. Nice, hilly layout, good mixture of holes.

I would think that's a tough business right there though. You've got Hot Springs Village and its great course 10 miles north. You got Hot Springs CC and its two great courses 10 miles south, and Glenwood CC 30 miles west. I don't see enough golf being played at Belvedere to keep it going, with those other options around, too.

GolfNut57

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on January 17, 2018, 06:07:25 pm
Nice course at one time. Nice, hilly layout, good mixture of holes.

I would think that's a tough business right there though. You've got Hot Springs Village and its great course 10 miles north. You got Hot Springs CC and its two great courses 10 miles south, and Glenwood CC 30 miles west. I don't see enough golf being played at Belvedere to keep it going, with those other options around, too.

This link I posted earlier today in the Tavern, http://www.abandonedar.com/ had the Belvedere Golf Club listed among its many links and within the article it mentioned that it was in the stages to be reopened.

http://www.abandonedar.com/belvedere-country-club/

Here's an excerpt from the article. This quote is near the bottom of the article.

"Recently, after purchasing the property, Raines said he wanted to refurbish the area because he did not want it to become "a grassy Majestic." After renovating the area for months, Raines is finally ready to open up the new Belvedere, an 18 hole golf course along with a 9 hole classic golf course to accommodate those new to the game. He looks forward to opening the new country club and restoring the area to its former glory.

Article written by Wells Thompson – AAR staff

The only thing is I can't tell when that article was written.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

kingofdequeen

Have ya'll driven by the place?

Half the course is GONE.   The marble staircase greeen at 13, 4's green, 5's tee box.   basically the entire frontage between the eastern boundary and the old shell (now a licka sto).  14 is all growed up.   I cannot imagine how much it would take to rehab it...especially since an adult daycare/rehab facility sits on the holes i mentioned. 

it's a shame.   It was my favorite course anywhere on Earth.  So difficult, great greens, great membership (when i was there)...  Now POOF.   

widespreadsooie

I played this course in 2012 when, I'm assuming, it was close to being shut down. It was eerie.

Lao Tsuie

They have built a bunch of places for the elderly. I think they are going to have 9 holes. Not sure if it will be real golf, frisbee golf or that soccer ball golf. I'll ask someone who is in the know about it.
Regardless there is no more BGC, it's done. Sad because I share KoD s and others sentiments.
But there was a time a few years ago >$200 would get the whole thing.

GolfNut57

Quote from: kingofdequeen on January 18, 2018, 08:15:10 am
Have ya'll driven by the place?

Half the course is GONE.   The marble staircase greeen at 13, 4's green, 5's tee box.   basically the entire frontage between the eastern boundary and the old shell (now a licka sto).  14 is all growed up.   I cannot imagine how much it would take to rehab it...especially since an adult daycare/rehab facility sits on the holes i mentioned. 

it's a shame.   It was my favorite course anywhere on Earth.  So difficult, great greens, great membership (when i was there)...  Now POOF.

I drove by the place one time on the way into HS a couple years ago. I could tell it was a former golf course but didn't know which one.