Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Poll: Mike Anderson

Started by The_Iceman, January 11, 2017, 02:19:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Should Mike Anderson be FIRED if he does not make the 2017 NCAA Tournament?

Yes
255 (72.9%)
No
95 (27.1%)

Total Members Voted: 349

The_Iceman

Question: "Should Mike Anderson be fired if he does not make the 2017 NCAA tournament?"

Similar to another poll, but more straight forward. Please explain you answer.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

phadedhawg

Yes he should be fired...

That was the commonly accepted goal before the season started so why move the goal posts now? 

The_Iceman

Quote from: phadedhawg on January 11, 2017, 02:22:58 pm
Yes he should be fired...

That was the commonly accepted goal before the season started so why move the goal posts now?

That was my standard as well. No excuses in year 6.

daprospecta

This discussion should be had at the end of the season. I hate that we lost to MSU but I knew they were better than most on here knew. We are a better team but they were hot.  This is the first game that we lost that I feel we shouldn't have and we are halfway through the season.  At this pace, it may happen once more which would not be mission critical.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Somethings with making the tourney are out of a coaches control.  So I can't give a definitive answer based on if he makes the tourney.  There have been crappy at larges that made it just because of their conference and worthy that missed for the same reason.  I felt like Mike's team in year 3 that beat KY twice was tourney worthy.

I like that one poster made the distinction between should and will.  I could see one of 4 things happening here.

1.  Jeff Long and whoever thinks Mike should be fired, but they don't for a myriad of reasons, $, perceived detriment to the program, incoming recruits.  I won't debate the merits of anything of these but they could all be used to justify keeping him.

2.  Jeff Long and Co. are on the fence or even leaning keep but due to the crapfest in football and a disappointing basketball season decide someone needs to be fired.  They feel like fans want to see change in something, can't do it in football due to the buyout so it's more of a sacrificial firing to show hey we are trying over here.

3.  They think Mike should be fired and they fire him.

4.  They think Mike should stay and they keep him.

One way to put it all to rest is to give better effort than we saw last night and win some damn games.

I have been behind Mike from day 1, and hope he does put it to rest but I'm not going to defend him every time a fan wants him fired. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Auburn

Yes.  Arkansas plays AWFUL, uninspiring basketball.  Terrible product to watch and disheartening to fans.  Fire sooner than later.

rude1

No more excuses it's his program completely, any failures are his. 1 tourney visit in 6 years is unacceptable, time to cut bait if that happens.

PonderinHog

BroyledNutts

tophawg19

if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Letsroll1200

No!! Arkansas should follow the Andy Kennedy model at Ole Miss. This program is a big time rebuilding job. We are getting some pieces in place.

LR_Matt

Yes. It it will actually be a year too late.

PonderinHog

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 11, 2017, 05:47:32 pm
but you are ponderin' it right
I've been ponderin' what lineup changes might give us a better chance to win enough games to get us in the dance.

dsf

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 11, 2017, 05:49:40 pm
No!! Arkansas should follow the Andy Kennedy model at Ole Miss. This program is a big time rebuilding job. We are getting some pieces in place.

Rebuilding will not matter.  He will win games...just won't get to the top level.

bkjbearcat

I guess I'll ask.

Which Anderson gets fired first? Mike or Kim? And what school replaces their Anderson with a better coach?
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: bkjbearcat on January 11, 2017, 06:16:39 pm
I guess I'll ask.

Which Anderson gets fired first? Mike or Kim? And what school replaces their Anderson with a better coach?

Will be much easier for Mizzou to upgrade because they are at the bottom of the barrel.  Arkansas could find an upgrade over MA but identifying and then landing a definitive upgrade will be more difficult for AR than MO because MO's bar is much lower.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Hawg Red

Voted that he should be fired if no tournament.

Reason: I mean, come on. We had two players that averaged 16 PPG last season coming back and added depth everywhere. We added two top JUCO guards, and one of them has basically had no transitional hiccups (doesn't mean he's immune from bad games just like any other player) and the other is averaging double figures in scoring. Beard looks better than he did last season. We added forward transfer that is able to rebound (when he isn't in foul trouble). Maybe it's not the dark horse Sweet 16 contender that some of us where hoping for, but there is enough talent combined with conference opportunity to make the NCAA tournament.

He has done a great job of mending fence inside the state and it's turned into some great recruiting classes on paper. I have no doubt he can get into the NCAA tournament with those players, but if he can't get into the tournament with this group he has right now, why should anyone have any confidence that he can actually make some noise with those recruits. Just making the tournament with basically max talent (I can't see recruiting going much better for us right now) is not enough. So me you can get to the NCAAs with this veteran group and I'll have a little faith that you can parlay Reggie Perry, Dan Gafford, Khalil Garland, Justice Hill, etc. into some legit tourney runs. If no NCAAs this year with a team that while not possessing great talent but solid talent, I'd rather have a coach with stronger coaching ability that will have that talent fundamentally prepared to have some real success. I'm not worried about a mass exodus of recruits. In fact, I'd be somewhat surprised if we lost a single Arkansas Hawk/Arkansas kid.

FineAsSwine

No he should not be fired this season. IF he is gone it will be at the expiration of his contract next year. 18 million reasons come to mind.
Hogs up! Covid down!

hawginbigd1

Absolutely 99%, if at the end we feel like we got jobbed out of a bid that would draw a reprieve from me, or if we did something like win the NIT, I might give another shot.

forrest city joe

forrest city joe

bhogs05

He definitely should be fired if he doesn't make the NCAA tourney...but he probably won't be.  Explanation would be 6 years is plenty of time to tell if a basketball coach is going to be able to get it done..Mike has not shown that he can. 

SemperFi

I voted "yes" to firing him should he not make the NCAA's this year. He's had 6 years to implement change and bring Arkansas basketball to prominence and yet it's the same ol crap from year 1 to year 6! Does he actually coach or just stand there and glare at his players? Bud Walton used to be a fearsome place to play while Coach Nolan Richardson was our Head Hog, but now it's just another W for the visiting teams and that's a shame. His style of play is dead and he obviously fails on the recruiting side of things as well. I'm done with Mike Anderson whether or not he does make the tourney this year...Heath, Pelphrey and now Anderson....what a joke our storied basketball program has become.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

forrest city joe

Quote from: rude1 on January 11, 2017, 03:29:08 pm
No more excuses it's his program completely, any failures are his. 1 tourney visit in 6 years is unacceptable, time to cut bait if that happens.
I disagree.

Hawg Red

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 12, 2017, 10:49:39 am
I disagree.

Why were you in favor of firing Pelphrey with 1 NCAAT appearance in 4 years, but you're okay with giving Mike more time after (potentially) 1 NCAAT appearance in 6 years? It was okay to not give Pelphrey a chance to coach the 2011 class (that Mike ended up not doing anything) but Mike must get a chance to coach the classes he has committed? I need you to explain to me your rationale for this double standard so I do not assume the obvious.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 12, 2017, 11:27:25 am
Why were you in favor of firing Pelphrey with 1 NCAAT appearance in 4 years, but you're okay with giving Mike more time after (potentially) 1 NCAAT appearance in 6 years? It was okay to not give Pelphrey a chance to coach the 2011 class (that Mike ended up not doing anything) but Mike must get a chance to coach the classes he has committed? I need you to explain to me your rationale for this double standard so I do not assume the obvious.
Let me try again.stay with me here. Pel took over a 2 time NCAA loaded team.and he ran the program into the ground. Mike took over a Mess on and off the court. it was so bad that the A.D. said that he did not even count the first 2 years.did that clear it up for you.i have answered this question a million times. you just don't like the answer.

porkinsons disease

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 12, 2017, 11:32:41 am
Let me try again.stay with me here. Pel took over a 2 time NCAA loaded team.and he ran the program into the ground. Mike took over a Mess on and off the court. it was so bad that the A.D. said that he did not even count the first 2 years.did that clear it up for you.i have answered this question a million times. you just don't like the answer.
Pel cleaned up the APR mess from Heath. CMA had a better resume than Pel, but the results are similar. Quit trying to rewrite history cowboy
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

Hawg Red

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 12, 2017, 11:32:41 am

Take away the first two years and it's still (potentially) 1 NCAAT appearance in 4 years. Just like Pelphrey. How is the mess still not cleaned up? There should be no excuses at this point. This was a very critical year for Anderson and he's blowing it so far. He's going to have to make a lot of hay in the remaining 14 games before the SECT.

No disagreement that Pelphrey ran the program into the ground. But Anderson went from 27 wins to 16 wins in one year. It feels like it shouldn't be this hard to get things going in 6 years. We should be better than we are. Do you believe we have enough talent to easily make the tournament? That seemed to be the general consensus around here all summer and into the preseason. I find it hard to believe that, had you been around, you would have be a dissenting opinion in that we did not have enough talent. So if we have the talent but don't make it, what does that tell you?

razoredge178

When did making the tourney become some sort of a benchmark for CMA's "success" as a coach? So you make the tourney out of the worst Power 5 conference and get drilled in round 1?

If he is or isn't fired should be based on the product he puts on the court, and the quantifiable direction the program is headed, i.e. W's & L's, home and road records, etc.

On this premise, yes, he absolutely should be fired.

MountieDawg

No team that has won a NCAA Championship in the past 30 years has not fired their coach after 6 years with one or less tourney appearance from that coach. If MA does not make the NCAAT he will probably be the 1st not fired... Ben Howland was fired from UCLA for the same such record after going to 3 straight Final Fours at UCLA the previous 3 years.
SEC!

Hawg Red

Quote from: razoredge178 on January 12, 2017, 11:55:13 am
When did making the tourney become some sort of a benchmark for CMA's "success" as a coach? So you make the tourney out of the worst Power 5 conference and get drilled in round 1?

If he is or isn't fired should be based on the product he puts on the court, and the quantifiable direction the program is headed, i.e. W's & L's, home and road records, etc.

On this premise, yes, he absolutely should be fired.

Fair take.

But it illustrates just how generous many Hog fans are in their support of Anderson by lowering the bar to the perhaps antiquated "gotta make the tournament" standard.

Youngsta71701

It depends on how many wins we have and if it looks like things are trending back up. We won 21 games in 2013-2014, 10 games in conference play and still didn't make the NCAA tournament. That's how hard it is and it's even harder now.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

Quote from: MountieDawg on January 12, 2017, 12:03:50 pm
No team that has won a NCAA Championship in the past 30 years has not fired their coach after 6 years with one or less tourney appearance from that coach. If MA does not make the NCAAT he will probably be the 1st not fired... Ben Howland was fired from UCLA for the same such record after going to 3 straight Final Fours at UCLA the previous 3 years.

That's UCLA. Much more basketball history and different circumstances.

MountieDawg

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 12, 2017, 12:07:35 pm
That's UCLA. Much more basketball history and different circumstances.

No that is every team that has one a NCAAT in the last 30 years....
SEC!

Youngsta71701

Quote from: MountieDawg on January 12, 2017, 12:08:34 pm
No that is every team that has one a NCAAT in the last 30 years....
I was referring to the Ben Howland reference.

10yrsofhell

Yes
Sorry to say that. It's time to move on.
I've always liked everything about Coach Anderson except that he's just not a very good coach.
"Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past."
― George Orwell, 1984
"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."
― George Orwell, 1984

1highhog

Why is it such a big time rebuilding job?  There's been other jobs that's been way worse than ours was and has been brought back to far better than we are going to the Tourney and having winning seasons in years 3 to 4 not taking six and in a bad conference at that.  Besides, we're losing to so so teams at home now and I will guarantee you right now we will not make the NCAA Tournament this year.  Hog fans are wanting to fire our Football Coach after 4 Seasons, and this is after some disastrous seasons and recruiting he had to overcome, and anyone knowing Football should know it takes a good 4-5 years to turn around any program, much less one that's been through the ringer like ours had been up to CBB's hiring.  But now CMA, it seems as though 95% of hogville was ready to lynch Jeff Long if he didn't hire Mike, and still so many cling to keeping Mike around, when he never showed that he was a good Coach to begin with.  His record on the road was horrible at Mizzou, and there were better candidates to hire instead of Mike but everyone thought Mike was the 2nd coming of Nolan.  Well, I hope everyone has been happy with the last 6 years of losing.

JenksHawg

I think he should be fired this week after the MSU loss.

GuvHog

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 12, 2017, 11:46:47 am
Take away the first two years and it's still (potentially) 1 NCAAT appearance in 4 years. Just like Pelphrey. How is the mess still not cleaned up? There should be no excuses at this point. This was a very critical year for Anderson and he's blowing it so far. He's going to have to make a lot of hay in the remaining 14 games before the SECT.

No disagreement that Pelphrey ran the program into the ground. But Anderson went from 27 wins to 16 wins in one year. It feels like it shouldn't be this hard to get things going in 6 years. We should be better than we are. Do you believe we have enough talent to easily make the tournament? That seemed to be the general consensus around here all summer and into the preseason. I find it hard to believe that, had you been around, you would have be a dissenting opinion in that we did not have enough talent. So if we have the talent but don't make it, what does that tell you?

Poppycock. Pel did not run the program into the ground. He inherited a MESS from Stan Heath, had the mess cleaned up, and had a top 10 recruiting class coming in when he was terminated. He never got a fair shake.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Porcine Coprolite

Mike Anderson will not be fired.  At least, not for several more years.  As long as Bielema gets away with standing on the sidelines looking like a constipated gerbil, Long can't afford to fire Anderson.  Bielema's outrageous buyout is Anderson's job security. 

Sivad

Quote from: GuvHog on January 12, 2017, 04:22:38 pm
Poppycock. Pel did not run the program into the ground. He inherited a MESS from Stan Heath, had the mess cleaned up, and had a top 10 recruiting class coming in when he was terminated. He never got a fair shake.
And that was a direct result of the NolAnderson cloud covering the program.
Some were never going to let it die until Nolan's protege was brought back.

realistichog

The next game wil be like every other MA coached game. A bunch of ugly undisciplined hard to watch basketball. Fire MA and use that 2.5 million to get a real basketball coach.

HogBreath

Quote from: GuvHog on January 12, 2017, 04:22:38 pm
And Pel's last team went 18-13, not great, but still quite a bit better than the 16-16 Mike put up last year.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

deserthog

Quote from: Auburn on January 11, 2017, 03:25:51 pm
Yes.  Arkansas plays AWFUL, uninspiring basketball.  Terrible product to watch and disheartening to fans.  Fire sooner than later.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: HogBreath on January 12, 2017, 06:30:22 pm
And Pel's last team went 18-13, not great, but still quite a bit better than the 16-16 Mike put up last year.
7-9 in the SEC.

rzrbackramsfan

I said no.  I was listening to bo mattingly yesterday and he told the listeners a convo he had with Nolan at the ms. St. Game.  Nolan said, what makes a coach good?  Getting good players.  Most fans would agree that he's recruited pretty well and it has picked up since the u of a got the practice facility.  Now mike Anderson has two top 25 classes lined up.  The current class is pretty good, but not really building on that much (his fault yes but he kind of has an excuse for the recruiting to pick up). 

All of this being said, I think his success and the contributor to his success has been pretty successful. I'd say he has had 1 for sure tournament worthy roster (2 years ago) and 2 fringe NCAA teams (3 years ago and this year).  The biggest contributor to his success is getting the players and I think his success with recruiting has been pretty predictable, started off crappy, had its ups and down, and now with a practice facility has improved even more. 

I know the building of the program hasn't happened as fast as anyone prefers, but now the light at the end of the tunnel is clearer than ever, we can't jump ship now, even if this fringe NCAA roster doesn't make the tourney. 

Hawg Red

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on January 12, 2017, 07:36:19 pm
I said no.  I was listening to bo mattingly yesterday and he told the listeners a convo he had with Nolan at the ms. St. Game.  Nolan said, what makes a coach good?  Getting good players.  Most fans would agree that he's recruited pretty well and it has picked up since the u of a got the practice facility.  Now mike Anderson has two top 25 classes lined up.  The current class is pretty good, but not really building on that much (his fault yes but he kind of has an excuse for the recruiting to pick up). 

All of this being said, I think his success and the contributor to his success has been pretty successful. I'd say he has had 1 for sure tournament worthy roster (2 years ago) and 2 fringe NCAA teams (3 years ago and this year).  The biggest contributor to his success is getting the players and I think his success with recruiting has been pretty predictable, started off crappy, had its ups and down, and now with a practice facility has improved even more. 

I know the building of the program hasn't happened as fast as anyone prefers, but now the light at the end of the tunnel is clearer than ever, we can't jump ship now, even if this fringe NCAA roster doesn't make the tourney.

Fair take.

How confident are you personally in Mike's abilities as a coach? Do you have concerns that the level of talent won't be enough to sustain success with him as the head coach? This is where I'm at. Watching the Mississippi State game, it just smacked you across the face that he was out-coached. We've seen it many times before. There are times when Mike actually makes some good coaching decisions, but it seems like most of the times when it clearly comes down to coaching, he's on the losing end. Do you think, even with the level of talent we're thinking we have coming in, that Mike's style of play can be truly successful now?

These are all things I think we all need to take stock. Not just the negatives and not just the positives. This isn't black and white. What do we really want as fans that is reasonable and realistic?  How do we properly gauge disappointment and success? I think we're all still trying to figure that out. I know me myself I've gone back and forth with where my expectations should be (mostly because I just really see the need for this to work with Mike).

hobhog

Quote from: FineAsSwine on January 12, 2017, 09:49:43 am
No he should not be fired this season. IF he is gone it will be at the expiration of his contract next year. 18 million reasons come to mind.

Incorrect

hobhog

Yes. He would have never been hired in first place if we knew he'd dance once in first 6 years. And I don't see anything that makes me think we dance in year 7 either.....