Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Did anybody really wonder about this story?

Started by Biggus Piggus, August 22, 2015, 03:53:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogatheart

For some reason this guy thinks Towns steps in and is the presumed starter next year just because he's a 4* transfer from Cali. Why can't this guy understand Towns will have to earn a shot just like anyone else. Terrible write-up and very uninformed. I guess he's entitled to an opinion, but good grief!!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: westside_player on August 22, 2015, 05:20:51 pm
I'll play devil's advocate and suggest the writer made some good points. Essentially all it's doing is putting another scholarship player on the roster (I assume) that we really don't need. As it appears now, we have what we think are 4 quality QB's going in to next season and all probably think they should be the starter. Which means 2 or 3 of the 4 you can expect to transfer once he falls behind #1 on the depth chart. The move makes sense, but don't look at it as though we have 4 four star quarterbacks this year. We have Brandon Allen and next years starter. 

Your assumption is baseless. Arkansas needs better talent at quarterback. Period. Look at the rest of the friggin' conference and tell me otherwise.
[CENSORED]!

SultanofSwine

Maybe James Harrison smashed his participation trophy too. He should just write under his real name...Richard Noggin

sickboy

I'll play devil's advocate and suggest the writer made some good points. Essentially all it's doing is putting another scholarship player on the roster (I assume) that we really don't need. As it appears now, we have what we think are 4 quality QB's going in to next season and all probably think they should be the starter. Which means 2 or 3 of the 4 you can expect to transfer once he falls behind #1 on the depth chart. The move makes sense, but don't look at it as though we have 4 four star quarterbacks this year. We have Brandon Allen and next years starter. 

I'll play devil's devil's advocate and say that if you have an opportunity to add a quality player to your roster at a key position, arguably the keyest position in the game of football, you do it. The rest will always work itself out. The upside is always higher than the downside when you've already got depth at the position.

Biggus Piggus

My understanding now is that the "reporter" had some sort of loyalty to Ty Storey and was unhappy about the addition of another quarterback in Storey's class. He never was honest about his motivation in the story.
[CENSORED]!

BPsTheMan

He's destined for SID at Northeast Okie State in tallequah

redeye

Quote from: hogatheart on August 22, 2015, 06:06:18 pm
For some reason this guy thinks Towns steps in and is the presumed starter next year just because he's a 4* transfer from Cali. Why can't this guy understand Towns will have to earn a shot just like anyone else. Terrible write-up and very uninformed. I guess he's entitled to an opinion, but good grief!!

Yea, lot's of people seem to be doing that, but they're not professional journalists.  Like you said, Town will have to earn it, first.

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 22, 2015, 06:09:43 pm
My understanding now is that the "reporter" had some sort of loyalty to Ty Storey and was unhappy about the addition of another quarterback in Storey's class. He never was honest about his motivation in the story.

That's not a good excuse.  It puzzles me that anyone would do that, but we see it all the time, nowadays.  I mean, what does he hope to accomplish?

mao

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 22, 2015, 06:09:43 pm

Ding ding ding, we have a winner

Fan1958

Full of cliches (player to be named later) and misinformation.  Says Town not to be the man in 2016.  How would this guy have a clue about that?  Six mediocre months at USC?  Spring ball and summer workouts.

CBB not true to his word?  Would a coach turn down a highly rated/recruited WR, OT, RB or TE despite the talent currently on campus?  Of course not.

That's the problem with the internet, blogs, Facebook, etc.  Gives a forum to too many idiots and 10 year olds.
Conservatives have always proudly proclaimed themselves to be conservative.  Liberals are now "Progressives"?  Must be terrible to have to hide what you really are.

I like smites.  That's how I know I'm really pissing off the "Progressives".

hogsfan31

People need to realize, if it were a highly rated WR or RB that were transferring the exact same way this kid is, and we offered and he came here everyone would be ecstatic. I haven't seen otherwise, I mean everything I've read from everyone is that they're pretty anxious and excited to see what the kid can do in the race next year. How is a highly rated QB any different than the other two positions I mentioned? It's not. Bring in the best and develop the best to be the best. If this kid wins the race, he's earned it. If he doesn't, whatever QB that does has earned it. Either way, you don't turn downs highly rated talent at any position, esp QB because someone's feelings might get hurt. Hurt feelings don't win championships

Biggus Piggus

Read the guy's Twitter replies and you can see how green-as-grass he is.
[CENSORED]!

Iwastherein1969

The long Grey line will never fail our country.

KennyForAD

Quote from: Mitch C on August 22, 2015, 05:55:58 pm

Maybe he is trying to make everyone so mad that they start punching his face so he can get a few of those zits popped.

My GOD, what a dipshlt!   Nice ear rings...

Choctaw Hog

Mitch C

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: Mitch C on August 22, 2015, 07:06:43 pm
Yes that is him

Just as I imagined him to be.  What is his background?  Where does he currently live? 

Bigpiggin

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on August 22, 2015, 07:08:04 pm
Just as I imagined him to be.  What is his background?  Where does he currently live?
In a van down by the river.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 22, 2015, 05:32:18 pm
Agreed. Bolin has no idea what he is talking about.

First of all, Town was a member of the team at USC for the Spring and the Summer.

I'll agree that he should have seen the writing on the wall with the Sarkisian offense that was more Read-Option/HUNH than Pro Style, but if you are a highly rated QB recruit from S. California and you are offered a full ride to USC, you gotta believe that they are willing to bend their offensive strategy to your skills or else they wouldn't want to sign you, right? Not so much, with the rumor that Sarkisian was pressured to sign the best and most highly rated kids in the area by the big money boosters (see HDN and Mitch Mustain). Big money Boosters are better off allowing the HC to go after whomever they feel they need.

As for this kid winding up at Arkansas it is more of a function of him and his family understanding that he has a greater opportunity for the future based on the offense that we plan to run and the overall strength of the team that we are building, than anything else. They see the potential for the future and especially as it effects a kid who has a Pro Style offense so deeply embedded in him. And fellas, there aren't that many TRUE Pro Style Offenses out there these days at the college level. With our physical approach to the game offering great opportunities out of play action for passing, we present a great opportunity for QB's of this caliber that aim for the NFL.
Great post.  I would like to add to the fact that we should never turn away a player of this caliber. If he is successful here. It will only open up recruiting of Quarterbacks nationwide.

PonderinHog

MrKnowItAll

Eric W. Bolin has been a sports reporter for the Times Record since October 2012. He covers sports, focusing on Northside High School. A native of Stilwell, Okla., Eric came to Fort Smith after working three years at ESPN. He is a graduate of Northeastern State University in Tahlequah, Okla., and holds a bachelor's degree in mass communication

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: MrKnowItAll on August 22, 2015, 07:28:40 pm
Eric W. Bolin has been a sports reporter for the Times Record since October 2012. He covers sports, focusing on Northside High School. A native of Stilwell, Okla., Eric came to Fort Smith after working three years at ESPN. He is a graduate of Northeastern State University in Tahlequah, Okla., and holds a bachelor's degree in mass communication

looks like Meatloaf. or Lemmy.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on August 22, 2015, 07:32:12 pm
looks like Meatloaf. or Lemmy.
Well he didn't help Northeastern State's program at all, which may be more of a problem with the AD from that program than anything else. Tony Duckworth (the AD) drops the ball more often than not with their athletic programs, so why would you expect writers who came from their program to be any better?
Go Hogs Go!

board

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on August 22, 2015, 06:02:31 pm
It was just a shock column to get attention.

Yep and looks like it worked, judging by all the responses to biggie piggie's thread. Seem to recall him being at one time a semi-journalist, of sorts..........

hoglady

I really don't see much reason for an article like this.
He attacked Towns' character, then Beliema's character, then attacked the athletic ability of Austin, Rafe and Ty.
That was an agenda driven piece against Beliema and/or the Hogs in general.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

theFlyingHog

He said on Twitter that he is not a Hog fan. Well, duh

ricepig

Quote from: theFlyingHog on August 22, 2015, 08:11:52 pm
He said on Twitter that he is not a Hog fan. Well, duh

Which is fine in a reporter covering a team. He's the reporter asking the question today if Town had a chance to start in 2016? Bielema just looked at him and said, we wouldn't have signed him if we thought differently.

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

MuskogeeHogFan

Go Hogs Go!

bphi11ips

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 22, 2015, 08:22:04 pm
What a shock. What did you expect him to say?

You, my friend, are becoming my favorite poster. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Doug

Quote from: Biggus PiggusThe writer probably believes that if he writes a few things in that faux-hip and condescending style, he can use his clips to get a better job. It is going to be fun watching him be forced to settle for something on his level.
His level being Pee-Wee League. I read his crap. I would rather be tortured by an ISIS member reading Robert Shields' stuff than to ever see another Ewik Bawlin piece.

Quote from: Choctaw HogJust as I imagined him to be.  What is his background?  Where does he currently live?
He lives in Uncle Mary's basement (even his own parents kicked him out).
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

hawgXi

Quote from: MrKnowItAll on August 22, 2015, 07:28:40 pm

I knew we could count on you mrknowitall to splain this deal.

I say:  don 't need this kinda low info journalism.  move him back to the res

(notOM)Rebel123

Only thing I "really wonder about" is why I bothered to read that article.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: hogatheart on August 22, 2015, 06:06:18 pm

He is entitled to his opinion.

However, to actually be make it a professional writer he better start mixing facts, actually make a rational argument and articulate what his argument is. That didn't happen

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

WarPig88

Biggus Piggus

He seems to think his primary qualification is that he is not a Razorback fan. What a dick.
[CENSORED]!

cultoftheredpig

This guy is going to quickly become a liability for  [[[Stop spamming your site, Eric.]]] .com - this will not end well. I hope management is looking far enough down the line.

Biggus Piggus

Excessive pride is a bad quality in a poor sports writer.
[CENSORED]!

okiehawg

Competition breeds greatness.  As good or bad as Allen, Ty or Rafe may end up being, the more competition in camp the better it will make all of them.  If you are in CBB's position and a 4 star recruit wants to jump on ship the answer is almost always yes (unless you are Art Briles). 

HogBreath

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on August 22, 2015, 05:23:37 pm
It appears that is what is going for. However, Clay Travis actual can articulate his argument.

Clay Travis sucks azz.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Yamahog

Maybe he meant to post it on "The Onion"......

Augustus

He is also a writer/contributor for Saturday Down South, and it's pretty fitting.

I wanted to like SDS when they were expanding/coming of age, and in the last year they reached out to "hire" actually knowledgeable people to write for not only the Hogs beat, but all teams across the SEC.

I know one person, who you know as well (on here), who was all set and at the last minute SDS screwed him over.

Instead, they apparently chose to have idiots like Eric Bolin contributing for them. Or, in some cases, SDS writers covering the Hogs & other SEC teams that have no connection whatsoever with the respective team... getting facts/records completely wrong, omitting obvious facts about not only the Hogs but other schools, etc.

SDS opted for the Clay Travis wannabe's, instead of people who really know what they're talking about.

I'm pretty disappointed with SDS. They could have been a much better Sports Media site.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Very puzzling article.  Towns has baggage??  I thought "baggage" was when they have been arrested several times for punching women or doing a few robberies, etc.  After reading this article, you would have thought coach BB just bailed Zeke Pike out of jail for his last arrest, & welcomed him with open arms.  With all the players that are transferring around because of dismissal's, arrests, etc.....this is an odd one to pick to vent about?   
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

ballz2thewall

i read biggus' post and about 10 replies after that.

i take it none of you have followed towns while at usc? this thread begs a discussion that would likely be in violation of forum rules.
The rest of the frog.

nwahogfan1

Wonder why Eric wrote this article?   Does he have an agenda?

Does he not want more competition for a particular QB on the Team?  Is he slamming our past QB recruiting?    Does he not like us getting a transfer from USC? 

Just wondering why?

colbs

If Arkansas signed a 4* QB this coming signing day would your thoughts be the same?  It would be pretty much the same situation. 

Oklahawg

Quote from: lahawg1 on August 22, 2015, 04:51:08 pm
He can't help himself, he's from Okie.......what would you expect?

C'mon dammit.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

pigture perfect

I chose to not read the article based on the revues here. Must have been bad.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"