Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Did anybody really wonder about this story?

Started by Biggus Piggus, August 22, 2015, 03:53:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

redeye

Tiredofhogssucking

Quote from: bphi11ips on August 22, 2015, 04:13:14 pm
Who is Eric Bolin?

http://swtimes.com/columns-blogs/eric-bolin

Eric W. Bolin has been a sports reporter for the Times Record since October 2012. He covers sports, focusing on Northside High School. A native of Stilwell, Okla., Eric came to Fort Smith after working three years at ESPN. He is a graduate of Northeastern State University in Tahlequah, Okla., and holds a bachelor's degree in mass communication.

Jeffcphog

I can't say anything about Bolin because I don't know him, but his article is a POS.

scruf

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 22, 2015, 06:09:43 pm
My understanding now is that the "reporter" had some sort of loyalty to Ty Storey and was unhappy about the addition of another quarterback in Storey's class. He never was honest about his motivation in the story.
True. It was super obvious at the outset that he had a rooting interest in one of the other QBs.

scruf

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 22, 2015, 09:49:03 pm
Excessive pride is a bad quality in a poor sports writer.
Post of the Year candidate

ChitownHawg

Quote from: 1HourToHogville on August 22, 2015, 04:05:47 pm
Don't you just love it when a media member attacks the character of a young man without ever having met him or spoken with him. And moves on to question the character of people he has met I assume (CBB).   

An opinion piece questioning his decision to transfer and Arkansas's acceptance can be written without doing so.

Yep take shots at the only sports program in the State that gets national attention. Good luck in getting a one on one interview with ANY coaches at Arkansas. He will be lucky to be granted a press pass. Not a smart career move on his part.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: ballz2thewall on August 22, 2015, 11:48:20 pm
i read biggus' post and about 10 replies after that.

i take it none of you have followed towns while at usc? this thread begs a discussion that would likely be in violation of forum rules.
Care to explain what you are talking about?  Are you implying that you know something the rest of us don't? Do tell.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Theolesnort

Quote from: Jeffcphog on August 23, 2015, 05:37:19 am
I can't say anything about Bolin because I don't know him, but his article is a POS.
That is a little harsh I would say but if he is a decent sports writer I would definitely say football is not his forte when this morning I opened the paper and he pointed out that yesterdays scrimmage was much better than last weeks disaster. Really? I wonder if the young man even knows there are two major sides to a ball team, offense and defense. Why did the offense look so much better this week than last week? There is a reason, one of which is the coaches scripted it a little different this week than last week such as the ones taking on the twos quite a bit yesterday and not so much last week. My take from last week? The defense looks (well I keep using this term when I refer to them) lethal. The offense? They also have taken a step or two forward with the oline and receivers but you can't tell it just yet when dealing with this defense daily. Oh well as a old timer who has been around a long time, each and every sports writer falls far short when I grew up reading Orville Henry. Boy ole boy I still miss him.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

BPsTheMan

the guy says he "worked at ESPN", but drilling down on that a bit, he actually worked as a guy who typed stuff into the ticker scrolling the bottom of the TV screen

I doubt you live in Bristol, Conn to do that, so I suppose he remoted it in from some contraption in his mom's basement. Sort of like an answering service?

Let me try this:

Eastern Kentucky 71, Wofford 62 - Willie Snodgrass led the Colonels with 18 points and 9 rebounds...

Yep, seems pretty easy.

And what would that job pay? Let's find out

BPsTheMan

Found a job with ESPN - Part time associate editor

28 hours per week! Nights and weekends!

gotta be like $10 an hour or something

http://www.glassdoor.com/Job/espn-bottomline-espn-jobs-SRCH_KO0,15_KE16,20.htm

Basic Qualifications
* Significant, broad-based sports knowledge on a variety of sports
* Strong grammar and writing skills
* Night, weekend and holiday work required
Preferred Qualifications
* Excellent overall college sports knowledge
* Demonstrated proficiency in working on collaborative teams that hit deadlines and achieve objectives
* Experience working with sports content and storylines via TV, radio, newspaper or notable sports blog
* Experience working in the public relations or marketing department of a college or minor league or professional sports team
* 1+ years experience working with statistics in an online, television or print media environment
* Experience in television/video production
* Academic project focused on sports journalism, sports business or sports statistics
* Experience working with statistics in an online, television or print media environment
* Experience in sports news production with an emphasis on the graphic interpretation of news events
* Professional experience in following and shaping stories at all stages of development
* Fluency in Spanish, both written and verbal
Required Education
* High School Diploma or Equivalent
Preferred Education
* Bachelor's Degree

SailorHog

I am sorry I read that, five minutes of my life I will not get back. 

Bolin is a dork. 

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: HogBreath on August 22, 2015, 10:30:24 pm
Clay Travis sucks azz.

Listen I live in Nashville and used to listen to him all the time on the radio. He intentionally creates controversy. But even when he made agruements that I didn't agree with(which was most times) he has an excellent way of articulating his point.

This writer can't even do that. I am critiquing his ability as a writer compared to a Clay Travis and it's not even close.

HOGINTENNESSEE

i take it none of you have followed towns while at usc? this thread begs a discussion that would likely be in violation of forum rules.

I have following almost everything college football. I can clearly tell I already know more than you who didn't even get his name correctly.

PonderinHog

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on August 23, 2015, 09:29:06 am
I have following almost everything college football. I can clearly tell I already know more than you who didn't even get his name correctly.
For some reason, I find this post very funny.   :-X

Albert Einswine

Quote from: KennyForAD on August 22, 2015, 05:37:13 pm
Robert is infinitely better than whoever wrote that gibber.   Say what you want about Robert, but at least he is honest and sincere.  Worst published article I have ever read.  Full of unsubstantiated assumptions and bizarre hatred.   

If by "honest and sincere" you mean "reads Hogville for content and then 1 week later regurgitates content", then yeah, he's honest and sincere.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

LJHOG

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Theolesnort on August 23, 2015, 07:10:08 am
That is a little harsh I would say but if he is a decent sports writer I would definitely say football is not his forte when this morning I opened the paper and he pointed out that yesterdays scrimmage was much better than last weeks disaster. Really? I wonder if the young man even knows there are two major sides to a ball team, offense and defense. Why did the offense look so much better this week than last week? There is a reason, one of which is the coaches scripted it a little different this week than last week such as the ones taking on the twos quite a bit yesterday and not so much last week. My take from last week? The defense looks (well I keep using this term when I refer to them) lethal. The offense? They also have taken a step or two forward with the oline and receivers but you can't tell it just yet when dealing with this defense daily. Oh well as a old timer who has been around a long time, each and every sports writer falls far short when I grew up reading Orville Henry. Boy ole boy I still miss him.

Yeah, his latest work is more evidence that he thinks he's going to be "the only objective reporter" covering the Razorbacks. He is going to discover pretty quickly that his audience is more important than his ego. Idealistic sports writers are a joke.
[CENSORED]!

Hogarusa

This thread is something.  Why taking the article so personally.
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

HOGINTENNESSEE

ALLVOL

I am a big proponent of press oversight of our public universities (including our football programs) to make sure things are tan properly. We as citizens can't be there to "watch over" them and watching the government (and public universities are government) is what freedom of then press is all about. I have a problem with schools not allowing access to the program and that is a problem I have with Butch Jones. I understand why coaches don't want to allow it but that doesn't change the need for it, just as any other government agency would prefer no oversight.
Now with that said, this guy didn't do that and wasn't trying to do so. He wrote a hit piece on a kid and that is unfair and unethical IMO. It's idiot members of the press like him that pushes coaches to allow less and less access. Going after coaches is ok in my book. As the reader of the article I can judge his value by either agreeing or disagreeing with him. But going after players, even when they commit a crime(by reporting on the crime without passing judgment) is out of bounds IMO and they should be held accountable by their paper/site/station. 

Bigpiggin

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 23, 2015, 09:47:02 am
Yeah, his latest work is more evidence that he thinks he's going to be "the only objective reporter" covering the Razorbacks. He is going to discover pretty quickly that his audience is more important than his ego. Idealistic sports writers are a joke.
Idealistic sports writers aren't a bad thing when they get their facts straight. The problem here is that he is pushing his opinion as a fact and he has no knowledge of the situation.

ALLVOL

Quote from: Bigpiggin on August 23, 2015, 10:12:17 am
Idealistic sports writers aren't a bad thing when they get their facts straight. The problem here is that he is pushing his opinion as a fact and he has no knowledge of the situation.

I agree with this. This was an unnecessary story that did nothing but try to bring questions into a kid who wanted to transfer. How many kids have transferred this year alone? How many will transfer next year? This is not a new phenomenon! The guy is an idiot and a terrible "journalist" and should be held accountable by his bosses.

Hawgey-Davidson

Might be a better question. Who is this hack's editor?

ballz2thewall

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on August 23, 2015, 06:30:39 am
Care to explain what you are talking about?  Are you implying that you know something the rest of us don't? Do tell.

basically, the story from many in the west is that the recruiting "stars" are way off the mark. coupled with that is the lengthy process of a diva in the making.

it might be accurate, and it might not be. but, this was the word after the shift from bama to usc, during the time spent at usc when they were still excited to get him from bama.

this was the "word" well before recent events.

The rest of the frog.

LZH

I almost always give writers somewhat of a pass...I mean, their opinion is just that - an opinion.  These guys can write whatever they chose for all I care.  But for a guy who is no more of a sports journalist/writer than Mr. Shields to be such a smartass and so condescending is worthy of all the bashing he's getting in this thread (and much more imo).  Aside from his raking this kid over the coals, what the hell is wrong with an SEC coach getting all the best QB talent on his team that he possibly can?  What is BB supposed to do....say 'well, we only want just so much talent in the QB department so you're not welcome here'?

I've never heard of this guy and I hate to give him any internet time, but what a prick.

ALLVOL

Quote from: ballz2thewall on August 23, 2015, 10:32:11 am
basically, the story from many in the west is that the recruiting "stars" are way off the mark. coupled with that is the lengthy process of a diva in the making.

it might be accurate, and it might not be. but, this was the word after the shift from bama to usc, during the time spent at usc when they were still excited to get him from bama.

But that doesn't change the fact that this guys story is a hit piece without fact. Besides if this kid is a prima donna CBB process with either fix him or weed him out. Besides he is a kid and with all the praise rained on young men when they are in high school etc I can understand some having a big head, most do. What happens to them is once they get to college most find out just how much they don't know. But for a reporter to right a hit piece based on rumors is a poor decision at best and unethical at worst.

BPsTheMan

Biggus Piggus

"Many" is an exaggeration. Your Internet sample is biased.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Hogarusa on August 23, 2015, 09:50:33 am
This thread is something.  Why taking the article so personally.

Not personal at all. His latest screed termed the first scrimmage a "disaster," which is way out of proportion. He is an amateur careening crudely from story to story, intentionally trying to be inflammatory, without regard for the purposes of his job.
[CENSORED]!

TNRazorbacker

Wow talk about knee jerk and judgemental.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 23, 2015, 11:52:23 am
Not personal at all. His latest screed termed the first scrimmage a "disaster," which is way out of proportion. He is an amateur careening crudely from story to story, intentionally trying to be inflammatory, without regard for the purposes of his job.

Theolesnort

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 23, 2015, 11:52:23 am
Well far be it from me to tell him how to do his job but that first scrimmage was a excellent opportunity to not only not take a shot at the offense but to approach it for the defensive perspective such as has this defense progressed so much that they made a pretty good offense look ordinary. Or has the offense regressed so much that they are making a pretty good defense look all world? In other words write a good column that delves into the nuts and bolts of this years emerging Razorback team. That would be a much better article that would be informative without alienating ones readers which is not a good thing at all. Oh do you guys want my opinion about this defense? Well whether you want it or not, can you say elite? Well at worst they are getting close to it.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

KennyForAD

... and you have?   But don't even know his name is 'Town'

snoblind

Nuttcracker, Sweet!

I don't suppose this clickbait hack ever considered the recruiting implications of this transfer. It might be coincidence that a WR with over 30 offers committed the next day, but A. Allen and the other QBs on the squad for 2016 won't bring in any based on their rep...
Making fun of Hootie since 2003

(notOM)Rebel123

Curious if Bolin might have a change of opinion of why Town transfered after hearing of Sark's drunken speech?

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on August 23, 2015, 08:38:28 am
Found a job with ESPN - Part time associate editor

28 hours per week! Nights and weekends!

gotta be like $10 an hour or something

http://www.glassdoor.com/Job/espn-bottomline-espn-jobs-SRCH_KO0,15_KE16,20.htm

Basic Qualifications
* Significant, broad-based sports knowledge on a variety of sports
* Strong grammar and writing skills
* Night, weekend and holiday work required
Preferred Qualifications
* Excellent overall college sports knowledge

Yeah, ESPN invited my daughter's roommate to interview two years ago from an online application. She had no particular sports or writing qualifications. Somewhat appalled my daughter who had been all-conference catcher and captain of the HS basketball team. (Roomie turned the interview down, probably good for both.)

ChitownHawg

Quote from: LZH on August 23, 2015, 10:37:44 am
I almost always give writers somewhat of a pass...I mean, their opinion is just that - an opinion.  These guys can write whatever they chose for all I care.  But for a guy who is no more of a sports journalist/writer than Mr. Shields to be such a smartass and so condescending is worthy of all the bashing he's getting in this thread (and much more imo).  Aside from his raking this kid over the coals, what the hell is wrong with an SEC coach getting all the best QB talent on his team that he possibly can?  What is BB supposed to do....say 'well, we only want just so much talent in the QB department so you're not welcome here'?

I've never heard of this guy and I hate to give him any internet time, but what a prick.

Led it now seems CBB has answered the question why? He has a policy of keeping 5 QBs on the roster to maintain momentum as one QB graduates. I gues this "reporter" never thought of that possibility.  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

ChitownHawg

Ok I'll ask.. Whose word are we talking about? A distant cousin to a buddy of your next door neighbor, a kid like the reporter of this story, or a journalist from a legit sports media outlet?

hogsanity

Quote from: scruf on August 23, 2015, 05:50:56 am
True. It was super obvious at the outset that he had a rooting interest in one of the other QBs.

If, and I say IF, come the 2016 season and Town is ahead of TS, the opinion expressed by the writer will be shown in the posts of many people here. Hometownheroitis runs very very deep here. Do I need to find the posts where people thought Wilson should start over RM? Or just from last fall where people thought TS would challenge BA for playing time this season?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

nchogg

Quote from: ChitownHawg on August 23, 2015, 02:53:47 pm
Led it now seems CBB has answered the question why? He has a policy of keeping 5 QBs on the roster to maintain momentum as one QB graduates. I gues this "reporter" never thought of that possibility.  ;D
I don't feel Eric Bolin had all his facts straight. Some of his comments were without merit and should have not been made about Towns. Now after the story about the outburst from his coach at Troy Day it seems to shed some light why Towns wanted to transfer. The facts will probably never be known which is better to be kept between Coach B and player. This is just speculation on my part but it looks to fit the post. Now Eric, write a story about his USC coach and use the same approach you did with Towns.

WarPig88

Quote from: ChitownHawg on August 23, 2015, 06:13:15 am
Yep take shots at the only sports program in the State that gets national attention. Good luck in getting a one on one interview with ANY coaches at Arkansas. He will be lucky to be granted a press pass. Not a smart career move on his part.

This line of thinking is why sports journalism in this state tends to be a joke. I don't want the press to pander to coaches.

WarPig88

Quote from: hogsanity on August 23, 2015, 03:01:52 pm
If, and I say IF, come the 2016 season and Town is ahead of TS, the opinion expressed by the writer will be shown in the posts of many people here. Hometownheroitis runs very very deep here. Do I need to find the posts where people thought Wilson should start over RM? Or just from last fall where people thought TS would challenge BA for playing time this season?

True dat.

redeye

I read a little of his defense on twitter last night.  I never tweeted him and I normally don't "stalk" people on twitter, but I was curious why he'd write what he did.  In fairness to him, he may have meant well and he may be a nice guy.  But the reasons he gave were not sufficient and don't change a thing.

For example, one excuse was that it was written to pressure Bielema into answering what he perceives to be a problem with our quarterback situation.  He claimed that he is seeking the truth by asking hard questions his readers have posed.  I can see that and respect it, but you don't do it by throwing a new player under the bus.  His goals may not be faulty, but the method he used to achieve them was a very poor decision and unethical on his part.

Qhog

Terrible article.  There are so many other bigger problems in college football, and to write a hatchet job about that was dead wrong.

Attacking a 19 year old kid for changing his mind about where he wants to play.  Attacking Bielema for taking him, making fun of uncommon, etc., just felt like a guy with an agenda. 

And compared to guys like Nutt and Petrino, Bielema has surpassed both of them in my mind about the type of leader he is.  He's not perfect as none of us are, but for the local media to attack him b/c of this situation is bizarre.

BPsTheMan

he's giddy on the twitter that people "hate him"

he's proud - still doesn't realize how bad his work was/is

and the latest... Gus Lover Chris Bahn has befriended him, which makes sense

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: redeye on August 23, 2015, 03:26:00 pm
I read a little of his defense on twitter last night.  I never tweeted him and I normally don't "stalk" people on twitter, but I was curious why he'd write what he did.  In fairness to him, he may have meant well and he may be a nice guy.  But the reasons he gave were not sufficient and don't change a thing.

For example, one excuse was that it was written to pressure Bielema into answering what he perceives to be a problem with our quarterback situation.  He claimed that he is seeking the truth by asking hard questions his readers have posed. I can see that and respect it, but you don't do it by throwing a new player under the bus.  His goals may not be faulty, but the method he used to achieve them was a very poor decision and unethical on his part.

Readers? Plural? Hard to believe he has more than one.