Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Question About Rafe

Started by uncle bubs, August 22, 2015, 11:13:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

uncle bubs

Has anybody been able to watch him practice this year? Bo Mattingly was being a little hard on him on his show yesterday saying he wasn't cutting it. I selfishly want this kid to succeed because I grew up in the Matt Jones era, and he was just a hoot to watch. I'm a sucker for the scrambling qb.
God bless the Boston Mountains.

HognitiveDissonance

Don't know.
But I know he's a good player. It's good for the Hogs, but stinks for the players, because next year there will be four or five talented QBs competing for one job. Any of them you might say is equal or better than Brandon Allen(and I like him). But B Allen's timing was perfect; he came at at a time there was a void at QB and became an entrenched starter for three years. It's unlikely the coaches are going to replace a starter with experience, unless someone just blows them all away.

I think next year you could roll out any of those guys and get close to the same result. At least acceptable.

Carl Lazlo

"I thought Rafe had a nice scrimmage."  CBB after first scrimmage. 

Don't pay attention to an uninformed opinion from someone like Bo. The only football pads he's ever worn are the plastic kind little kids get from Sears.

hammer66

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on August 22, 2015, 12:34:30 pm
Don't know.
But I know he's a good player. It's good for the Hogs, but stinks for the players, because next year there will be four or five talented QBs competing for one job. Any of them you might say is equal or better than Brandon Allen(and I like him). But B Allen's timing was perfect; he came at at a time there was a void at QB and became an entrenched starter for three years. It's unlikely the coaches are going to replace a starter with experience, unless someone just blows them all away.

I think next year you could roll out any of those guys and get close to the same result. At least acceptable.

I assume u mean the QB's r equal to Brandin when he was younger and closer to their experience level.
Right now BA is by far the best QB we have. The backups aren't even remotely close to being as good as BA.

Mr. Barnett (rbarnet424)

I guess we'll see.

Dont forget that BA battled B Mitchell for the job after Wilson left. The lack of competition and depth occurred after Mitchell lost to BA (he had already lost to Wilson) and decided to transfer.

IMO BA's career was never the same after the Petrino/JLS debacles which caused the lack of early development. After getting over the hump last year we will see what happens.

PanamaHOG
Representing the Razorbacks down in PTY

Mike Irwin

I've been watching Peavey since he got here. I haven't seen anything about him that reminds me of Matt Jones. Matt Jones lead Arkansas to the Cotton Bowl as a true freshman. Peavey redshirted his freshman year for a reason.

It's not good that Brandon Allen has not been pushed at any point since Tyler Wilson left.

Hopefully Austin Allen will have a battle on his hands next season.

I've defended BA many times on this board because he's the best they've got and honestly, it hasn't been close. There's no point coming on this board and beating up on him. But that doesn't mean the QB position doesn't need to be upgraded. I don't care about Austin's stars, Peavey's stars, or Storey's stars. What has any of them done so far to get you fired up?

Okay, Austin played well against Ole Miss last year. That's something. But I've got a feeling that Hog fans want to see a QB come out on the field and take over. Own the damn place.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Mike Irwin on August 22, 2015, 12:58:01 pm
But I've got a feeling that Hog fans want to see a QB come out on the field and take over. Own the damn place.

Damn Thing Done.  Lock up the thread nothing else needs to be said. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Mr. Barnett (rbarnet424)

Thats the truth! But going to be tough on clean up duty cause Bielema usually makes them handoff to the RB on most plays.
PanamaHOG
Representing the Razorbacks down in PTY

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: hammer66 on August 22, 2015, 12:56:27 pm
I assume u mean the QB's r equal to Brandin when he was younger and closer to their experience level.
Right now BA is by far the best QB we have. The backups aren't even remotely close to being as good as BA.
Yes.
Starting several years in the SEC has numerous advantages. B Allen should absolutely be the starter now. I thought he had a very good year last season(20TDs, 5INTs)
None of these guys have 'blown away' the coaches enough to supplant a starter with experience. That's a tall order, though, and doesn't reflect too poorly on them. It just means they're not Peyton Manning.
But I think we're good for next year because any of those guys can be the guy.

BPsTheMan

nb4 someone says "free safety"

DeltaBoy

Lets just TCB this year and wait till next Spring for new QB talk.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

The_Iceman

With Rafe, the thing that sets him apart is his ability to create with his legs. However, when you throw a green jersey on him in every practice, you aren't going to see that skill of his.

He may he best suited for a shotgun spread offense that runs some read option.

nwahogfan1

I've been watching Peavey since he got here. I haven't seen anything about him that reminds me of Matt Jones. Matt Jones lead Arkansas to the Cotton Bowl as a true freshman. Peavey redshirted his freshman year for a reason.

It's not good that Brandon Allen has not been pushed at any point since Tyler Wilson left.

I've defended BA many times on this board because he's the best they've got and honestly, it hasn't been close. There's no point coming on this board and beating up on him. But that doesn't mean the QB position doesn't need to be upgraded. I don't care about Austin's stars, Peavey's stars, or Storey's stars. What has any of them done so far to get you fired up?

Okay, Austin played well against Ole Miss last year. That's something. But I've got a feeling that Hog fans want to see a QB come out on the field and take over. Own the damn place.

I agree Mike.    Fans are feeling sorry for those QBs on staff now but you wait until one of them lays a egg in a game and we lose.  Same fans would be all over the guy.  CBB is trying to get great competition at every position.  It is too bad they can play only one QB at a time but who ever it is he needs to be a winner and a competitor.  Fans want to win period.  We will fall in love with whoever wins the QB battle if he wins games.

Woo Pig.

scruf

The problem with a lot of fans who take the stance that RP should be higher up on the depth chart is that they watched Rafe's Hudl highlights and are still convinced that he's Johnny Football II.

Nothing is going to sway their initial assessment.

They can't believe that Coach B isn't seeing now (Rafe executing a collegiate pro-style offense in the SEC) what they saw then (Rafe executing the spread at a small high school in rural Missouri).

hammer66

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on August 22, 2015, 01:18:43 pm
Yes.
Starting several years in the SEC has numerous advantages. B Allen should absolutely be the starter now. I thought he had a very good year last season(20TDs, 5INTs)
None of these guys have 'blown away' the coaches enough to supplant a starter with experience. That's a tall order, though, and doesn't reflect too poorly on them. It just means they're not Peyton Manning.
But I think we're good for next year because any of those guys can be the guy.

I agree with u about next year. We will find a QB out of the group we have. IMO, CBB and staff deciding to take Town says a lot to their feelings about a backup QB on our roster having any opportunity to supplant BA, only an injury will put AA in the starting role.
Coach explained in one of his PC's that a big concern he had towards AA was him just waiting for his big brother to use up his eligibility and not pushing BA for the starting spot. Since AA is the #2 QB then what does that say about RP. I think RT was brought in to ensure the QB's will have to work much harder then they have in the past to win that starting spot next year.

scruf

Quote from: hammer66 on August 22, 2015, 02:05:25 pm
I think RT was brought in to ensure the QB's will have to work much harder then they have in the past to win that starting spot next year.
I think he was brought in to win the job, just like every QB currently on scholarship.

31to6

Mike, you've had more opportunity to watch Rafe than most. One thing I thought I picked up on in the Spring was that his body language seemed to show some frustration when the whistles would blow the play dead before he had a chance to elude a rush.

Do you think there is a chance that his athleticism makes him more of a "game time player" and that it is harder to see his value in limited contact scenarios?

bphi11ips

Rafe Peavey and the rest of the QB's understand something few Hogville posters are willing to accept, but it is obvious when examining Bret Bielema's history as a head coach:  He prefers 4th and 5th year QB's.  So here's the "progression" for 2016 and beyond:

2016, 2017 - Austin Allen
2018 - Rafe Peavey
2019 - Ty Storey or Ricky Town
2020 - Cole Kelley

Note than when asked whether Ricky Town's transfer would affect his commitment to Arkansas, Cole Kelley replied, "absolutely not".  He gets it.  Come to Arkansas to play QB?  Expect to redshirt and wait your turn.  By the time your turn gets here, expect to audition for the next level behind a bunch of 4th and 5th year linemen in a pro style attack. 

Meanwhile, Hogville posters will continue to ask "What's wrong with underclassman 4-star QB [insert name here]? When do you think he'll transfer?"
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

secfan30

Quote from: bphi11ips on August 22, 2015, 02:12:19 pm
Rafe Peavey and the rest of the QB's understand something few Hogville posters are willing to accept, but it is obvious when examining Bret Bielema's history as a head coach:  He prefers 4th and 5th year QB's.  So here's the "progression" for 2016 and beyond:

2018 - Rafe Peavey
2020 - Cole Kelley

Note than when asked whether Ricky Town's transfer would affect his commitment to Arkansas, Cole Kelley replied, "absolutely not".  He gets it.  Come to Arkansas to play QB?  Expect to redshirt and wait your turn.  By the time your turn gets here, expect to audition for the next level behind a bunch of 4th and 5th year linemen in a pro style attack. 

Meanwhile, Hogville posters will continue to ask "What's wrong with underclassman 4-star QB [insert name here]? When do you think he'll transfer?"

Sadly, it's so obvious that many refuse to believe it's that simple.

Overtheroadtruckdriver

POW!!!

nchogg

Now that Coach Dan Enos is the QB coach there will be more competition. As Coach B said AA has taken more of a command of the offense with his voice than in the past. AA has been in the system longer but we can not determine who will be the starter and backup next year it's too far down the road. Right now I want to see a backup that will walk onto the field and take command of the offense if BA gets hurt. That is something we have lacked. As Mike says "Own the damn place".

hawgXi

Quote from: hammer66 on August 22, 2015, 12:56:27 pm

If you judge by the 4th qtr of the missouri game last year you must be right

I'm still shakin my head

ricepig

WarPig88

I am interested in seeing how Enos affects our offense as far as turning the qb into a weapon in CBB's scheme.

Aside from Wilson, CBB's qbs were game managers, not weapons. Game managers generally don't ever own the field.

I still believe that to make up the gap in recruiting here compared to our rivals you can't afford to remove any positions in our offense as weapons. Our qb can't be a game manager and us be able to consistently win in this league.

People forget that all the teams in this league other than Vandy have great athletes and coaches and often games in this league come down to who can make plays more often than they come down to who made the fewest mistakes.

I hope to see our qb position grow into one where that player is a weapon to be feared, not just "respected" whether it be using his legs or arm.

Just my opinion.

bphi11ips

Quote from: WarPig88 on August 22, 2015, 03:30:16 pm
I am interested in seeing how Enos affects our offense as far as turning the qb into a weapon in CBB's scheme.

Aside from Wilson, CBB's qbs were game managers, not weapons. Game managers generally don't ever own the field.

I still believe that to make up the gap in recruiting here compared to our rivals you can't afford to remove any positions in our offense as weapons. Our qb can't be a game manager and us be able to consistently win in this league.

People forget that all the teams in this league other than Vandy have great athletes and coaches and often games in this league come down to who can make plays more often than they come down to who made the fewest mistakes.

I hope to see our qb position grow into one where that player is a weapon to be feared, not just "respected" whether it be using his legs or arm.

Just my opinion.

Brandon Allen is about to show doubters why 5th year 4 star QB's are better than freshmen 5 stars.  He will be a weapon and so will his succesors.

DEVIL DOG HOG

Could we use Rafe as a running back if needed?
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

HAWG MAFIA

2018 - Rafe Peavey
2020 - Cole Kelley

Well that is just stupid!!!!

How dare you bring common sense into this place. I agree 1000% my friend.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: The_Iceman on August 22, 2015, 01:25:25 pm
With Rafe, the thing that sets him apart is his ability to create with his legs. However, when you throw a green jersey on him in every practice, you aren't going to see that skill of his.

He may he best suited for a shotgun spread offense that runs some read option.

I would love to have a package specifically for Peavey. Let him come in a few times a game and run some legit read option to get the defense on their heels. Would give them a different look and could be effective in those mid game lulls we sometimes have.

Mike Irwin

Bielema said after today's scrimmage that BA is a solid number one and AA is a solid number two. That's it people. Barring injuries it's not likely going to change this season.

He also said he expects Town to come in and compete for the job in 2016. He starts practice on Monday.

Hogeration

BA also had a QB coach for the first couple of years.  And before the flames start, I'm not pushing Petrino.  But the last OC said on more than one occasion, he was not there to tweak throwing motion.  He said he believed the kids had been throwing the same way all the way to college so he wasn't going to change it.  I really think that is a big reason we have a new OC.  And a previous QB at that.  Hopefully the guys beneath BA will get better under Enos.

It has been said that Austin has really improved through the spring into the fall camp.  I think that is bc of Enos.  Austin has gotten way more reps than the other 2 QBs.  Once the season is over and the reps increase for the others, under Enos, I would expect significant improvement.

Pig in the Pokey

2018 - Rafe Peavey
2020 - Cole Kelley

not. gonna. happen. no way austin gets 2 years and then ty or ricky get a year between them. your theory is correct but i bet it doesn't go like that. Also, Coach said today town will compete for starting job next yr, so...
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

jjdlc

2018 - Rafe Peavey
2020 - Cole Kelley

I would agree that CBB prefers 4th & 5th year QBs, and I'd say that he would never play a true freshman QB unless things went really sideways (see his comments about having 5 QBs).  However, I don't believe he would stick with an upper classman QB if an underclassmen is clearly superior, if it's close, then yeah he's going to go with experience.

bphi11ips

bigbadhog

Quote from: WarPig88 on August 22, 2015, 03:30:16 pm

Just my opinion.

Many share your opinion including me but not real popular on HV.  I want play makers all over the field...
Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

Fan1958

Again, funny how nobody questions the coaches about the fact the best player is starting at every position except quarterback.  Never been able to figure out why the coaches would play anybody other than the best at each of the 22 positions.    But to Hogville that's the way it goes.
Conservatives have always proudly proclaimed themselves to be conservative.  Liberals are now "Progressives"?  Must be terrible to have to hide what you really are.

I like smites.  That's how I know I'm really pissing off the "Progressives".

I don't know any of our QBs personally and never seen any of them play a down before getting to Arkansas.  But I will ask, what has Austin Allen done when we've been able to see him play that would indicate to anyone that he cannot play and be successful as our QB and I mean right now.  I realize over the past 2 years the staff doesn't think he can carry the load over even a hurt BA and he hasn't got in the games when much of anything was on the line.  But his scrimmages have been the best overall of any QB we've put on the field during that time.

When you consider that BA should and does get most of the snaps, how does anyone really know what we got behind him.  Even when hurt, BA has been the man.  No trust that another QB could be successful bothers me a lot, especially when AA does well against the ones in scrimmages.  I am just blind to the situation I guess. 

I do hope other QBs get in games this year when something besides running out the clock is on the line and I hope they get to attempt to run the entire offense, not just hand off to a second team RB or throw 1 safe pass to a TE or something like that.  Give some other QB some game experience so we can be certain he can or cannot do the job and not just guess.  Our overall team 2 deep has greatly improved the past 2 years except at QB, where we seem to have nothing beyond BA that an experienced coach can trust.

WarPig88

Quote from: bphi11ips on August 22, 2015, 03:59:13 pm
Brandon Allen is about to show doubters why 5th year 4 star QB's are better than freshmen 5 stars.  He will be a weapon and so will his succesors.

So you don't put much stock in the past being the best predictor of the future?

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Fan1958 on August 22, 2015, 09:16:44 pm
Again, funny how nobody questions the coaches about the fact the best player is starting at every position except quarterback.  Never been able to figure out why the coaches would play anybody other than the best at each of the 22 positions.    But to Hogville that's the way it goes.

Yup. The best available is playing.

This team is going to crush some good opponents.
[CENSORED]!

870hogfan

Quote from: WarPig88 on August 22, 2015, 09:22:34 pm
So you don't put much stock in the past being the best predictor of the future?

So you don't put much stock into an player development and getting better?

hammer66

2018 - Rafe Peavey
2020 - Cole Kelley

Except for when he took the Arkansas job. He went with BA over the junior B. Mitchell.

bennyl08

Quote from: secfan30 on August 22, 2015, 02:29:54 pm
Sadly, it's so obvious that many refuse to believe it's that simple.

Quote from: HAWG MAFIA on August 22, 2015, 04:53:54 pm
Well that is just stupid!!!!

How dare you bring common sense into this place. I agree 1000% my friend.

2018 - Rafe Peavey
2020 - Cole Kelley

Hmm, lets see, what did Bielema do his first season here? Anybody remember?

Bret wants a guy who is going to be smart with the ball and not lose games first and foremost. rSo Brandon Allen didn't have the arm strength or athleticism of Brandon Mitchell, or the experience for that matter, but he was more controlled and reigned in. Secondly, just listen to how many times CBB mentions players who are always at the coach's office asking questions. That is the type of person who will win the qb battle. Now, b/w two players who won't do anything to lose the game and who are passionate about the position, then the player who will step up and win games gets the nod. I have a feeling the head coach would hate a qb like Brett Farve. He would do some crazy stuff. Sometimes it won you the game you would have otherwise lost, other times it will lose you the game you would have otherwise won.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: hammer66 on August 22, 2015, 10:05:08 pm
Except for when he took the Arkansas job. He went with BA over the junior B. Mitchell.

Point? He went with the better quarterback.
[CENSORED]!

hammer66

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 22, 2015, 10:08:56 pm
Point? He went with the better quarterback.

That was my point. I'm pretty sure he will always go with the better QB. He doesn't just decide the older player automatically starts.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: hawgXi on August 22, 2015, 03:04:19 pm
If you judge by the 4th qtr of the missouri game last year you must be right

I'm still shakin my head
That was a poor coaching decision.
It's always tough to bring a guy in cold turkey, but he did ok in similar role vs Ole Miss.
No doubt they should have pulled B Allen from that game.

mizzouman

Quote from: DEVIL DOG HOG on August 22, 2015, 04:01:04 pm
Could we use Rafe as a running back if needed?
Mizzou recruited as a slot receiver type player. Possession type guy but they never saw him as a QB.

bphi11ips

Quote from: hammer66 on August 22, 2015, 10:12:57 pm
That was my point. I'm pretty sure he will always go with the better QB. He doesn't just decide the older player automatically starts.

No, but he believes, with good reason, the more physically developed, mentally mature, experienced QB is usually better.  Bielema isn't the first college coach to figure this out.

bphi11ips

Quote from: hammer66 on August 22, 2015, 10:05:08 pm

It was his first year, and he didn't like any of his choices when he got here.  That's why he went looking and found A.J. Derby.  Brandon Allen turned out to be the best choice to begin his rebuilding process.  Bielema knew it would be a marathon, not a sprint. 

The Great Hambino

BA will have a good year. He will be a late draft pick or (more likely) free agent pick up and fight for a job in the league. Austin starts next year. He will blow up and leave early after we have a stellar 2016 season. After that is anyone's guess. :)

scruf

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on August 22, 2015, 11:06:45 pm
That was a poor coaching decision.
It's always tough to bring a guy in cold turkey, but he did ok in similar role vs Ole Miss.
No doubt they should have pulled B Allen from that game.
It was not a "similar role" at all. Ole Miss was about running clock and protecting a big lead at home while Mizzou was about leading the team down the field for a game winning drive on the road. Those are two TOTALLY different scenarios.

CattleCorn

If you don't think Town is going to have a legitimate shot at starting next year, due to some system automatically deferring to the oldest QB, you're not paying attention.