Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ricky Town to Hogs

Started by Hogdomer, August 21, 2015, 11:14:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HF#1

Quote from: jkstock04 on August 21, 2015, 10:18:33 pm
The simple fact of the matter is that like discussed above...an injured Brandon Allen is (or was) a better choice at qb than Austin Allen. No way to spin that.

This fall even after Brandon struggled and Austin seemingly did well in a scrimmage, Bielema said Brandon was #1 and would continue to be so...he said it without the slightest hesitation. 

IF he were to get beat out for the QB job next year I wouldn't see much reason for him to stay? To me, like I said...this move speaks volumes...and it's very exciting to me as a fan that we can pull an out of state player of this magnitude. WOW is all I can say.

WE THREW THE BALL 40 TIMES AGAINST MIZZOU...  Even if Brandon was healthy, we still lose that game. But I digress.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

presidenthog

also still since we are one of the few true pro-style systems left it might be that our system is too complicated to master in one year unlike most spread systems around college football (this thought just occurred to me) I'm not sure if that is true or not but food for thought.

Hog Pharm

Quote from: bigbadhog on August 21, 2015, 10:12:23 pm
Including the coaches.  See Missouri game...

Bielema also said he's probably the most improved player on the team since last year. Sometimes it takes certain players longer than others do develop. If I was betting I would say AA is the starting QB next year.

jcbville

August 21, 2015, 10:31:14 pm #153 Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 10:48:39 pm by jcbville
Iron Sharpens Iron. Its been a long held opinion by many a coach that you can never have too many QBs stacked up because they push each other due to competition to be better at a very key position. So you get the best of the best you have. There is no conspiracy or anything but smart coaching in this transfer. Some of you are way over thinking this.

presidenthog

Quote from: Hog Pharm on August 21, 2015, 10:27:26 pm
Bielema also said he's probably the most improved player on the team since last year. Sometimes it takes certain players longer than others do develop. If I was betting I would say AA is the starting QB next year.
Well he actually stopped at saying THE most improved and said one of the most improved. either way like stated earlier this is the first real positive news about our backups.

bennyl08

Quote from: factchecker on August 21, 2015, 09:12:43 pm
My amateur non "hot-take" evaluation of each quarterback based on handful of scrimmages I've attended:

Austin:  Pros- Gunslinger, playmaker, patient in the pocket
            Cons- Will force throws instead of throwing away. 

Rafe:   Pros- Highly mobile, strong armed, great spiral
           Cons- height, looks to run early

Ty-  Hard to judge this early -- I've heard weak arm, but I've yet see him have a chance to really air it out.

In the end, it really is hard to judge any of the quarterbacks.  We have to get some live, in game views to form an honest opinion.  I'm a B.A. supporter but I do hope we have a chance (b/c we are blowing a team out) to see the other guys get reps.

Austin: Strong arm, winners instinct, and agree, he's more of a gun slinger than his brother. I also think he is faster, though not quite as quick. Mostly what you said.

Rafe: At least relative to other running qb HS tapes, he actually stood in the pocket and used his athleticism to stretch the play rather than give up on the play. However, that was in HS. In college, based on the spring games I've seen, he seems to get easily rattled and doesn't have the best poise. That can be corrected with time though. I just don't think he is that great of a passer based on his HS tape. It's probably bad to judge too much off of HS highlights, but when you are likely the best player on the field and your highlights aren't that impressive, it doesn't give me high expectations. 

Ty: OTOH, his highschool highlights were very impressive to me. Yes, he played in a very poor classification, but I don't think that actually boosts his tape. For a RB/WR sure. They college guy is going to be much faster and possibly stronger than the other players out there. For a OL/DL, they may be able to just throw everybody out of their way. However, for Ty, his highlights weren't full of him being physically superior to everybody else. Almost every play, he is under intense pressure and most of his throws were to really tight coverage. He showed poise and technique as a sophomore in HS that some college qb's don't have. There lies my biggest concern with him. With a lot of HS kids, you see a lot of raw athleticism an potential, but they have a lot of technique left to learn. Is Ty already at his peak? As for what he brings to the table, he reminds me a lot of Mallett with a sprinkling of TW. I have no idea where the weak arm info is coming from because he seems to have arm strength just a step or so below Mallett's.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

redeye

Quote from: HF#1 on August 21, 2015, 10:21:51 pm
WE THREW THE BALL 40 TIMES AGAINST MIZZOU...  Even if Brandon was healthy, we still lose that game. But I digress.

If Brandon was healthy, we would have completed more passes, thrown less and we would have won.

duckman

My gut says the starter in 2016 will be.......

Ricky Town

Judging by his vids the difference between he and the others is he doesn't really show a weakness.

1.  Throw with accuracy - check
2.  Throw with velocity - check
3.  Throw from pocket - check
4.  Throw on the run - Big check
5.  Escapability and speed - check
6.  Smart - check

Not sure if the others possess all of these attributes but Town is the only one who shows all of the above when watching footage.  I think he may be ahead of all of them.  I will say this, Ty has a very high ceiling IMO he isn't as polished as Town.  Austin may be great, but he has to prove it to me.  Rafe IMO just doesn't have all the tools.   

My two cents, fire away....

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 21, 2015, 10:34:17 pm
Austin: Strong arm, winners instinct, and agree, he's more of a gun slinger than his brother. I also think he is faster, though not quite as quick. Mostly what you said.

Rafe: At least relative to other running qb HS tapes, he actually stood in the pocket and used his athleticism to stretch the play rather than give up on the play. However, that was in HS. In college, based on the spring games I've seen, he seems to get easily rattled and doesn't have the best poise. That can be corrected with time though. I just don't think he is that great of a passer based on his HS tape. It's probably bad to judge too much off of HS highlights, but when you are likely the best player on the field and your highlights aren't that impressive, it doesn't give me high expectations. 

Ty: OTOH, his highschool highlights were very impressive to me. Yes, he played in a very poor classification, but I don't think that actually boosts his tape. For a RB/WR sure. They college guy is going to be much faster and possibly stronger than the other players out there. For a OL/DL, they may be able to just throw everybody out of their way. However, for Ty, his highlights weren't full of him being physically superior to everybody else. Almost every play, he is under intense pressure and most of his throws were to really tight coverage. He showed poise and technique as a sophomore in HS that some college qb's don't have. There lies my biggest concern with him. With a lot of HS kids, you see a lot of raw athleticism an potential, but they have a lot of technique left to learn. Is Ty already at his peak? As for what he brings to the table, he reminds me a lot of Mallett with a sprinkling of TW. I have no idea where the weak arm info is coming from because he seems to have arm strength just a step or so below Mallett's.
R. Town- has been with QB coaches since grade school and can read the hell out of a defense, pro level footwork, great intermediate ball, high accuracy, lighting fast and butter smooth delivery, and the kid runs a 4.6. Don't count him out for 2016. Early leader according to the national guys.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

hogsanity

One thing you can rest assured of, the starter will be the guy BB thinks gives them the best chance to win games. I wont be any grand conspiracy, it will simply be BB saying "__________ gives us the best chance to win ".
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

duckman

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on August 21, 2015, 11:39:18 pm
R. Town- has been with QB coaches since grade school and can read the hell out of a defense, pro level footwork, great intermediate ball, high accuracy, lighting fast and butter smooth delivery, and the kid runs a 4.6. Don't count him out for 2016. Early leader according to the national guys.

IMO He has the "it" factor, as long as his attitude is good, sky's the limit...

tasteslikechicken

Quote from: Hoggard on August 21, 2015, 01:21:48 pm
One other thing !!!!

1. Offensive line U .. Check.
2. RBU.... Check.
3. QBU ? Hell yeah. Check.

Coming next ? WRU !!!!

Come on down Cleveland.

Don't forget TE U!

bennyl08

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on August 21, 2015, 11:39:18 pm

He runs a 4.6 according to HS. Tyler Wilson runs a 4.75 and Mallett a 4.85 according to HS stats. In real life, Wilson ran a 4.95 at the combine and Mallett a 5.37. Broderick Green reportedly ran 4.57 in HS, but ran a 4.73 at the pro day here, meaning he probably would have been in the 4.8's at the combine in INDY.

Also, I wasn't counting him out so much as just evaluating the guys we have on hand already. Cole Keilly will also be in the mix in 2016, though with the glut of talent we already have, it would take him being an absolute freak to start.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

RedBird5

Quote from: jcbville on August 21, 2015, 10:31:14 pm
Iron Sharpens Iron. Its been a long held opinion by many a coach that you can never have too many QBs stacked up because they push each other due to competition to be better at a very key position. So you get the best of the best you have. There is no conspiracy or anything but smart coaching in this transfer. Some of you are way over thinking this.

So true.  Look at USC under Pete Carroll

Dugann

I feel that one of the QB's will be gone.  My guess is Austin or Ray.  Just way I see it.  Both are long in the tooth after this year to just sit when they could transfer and play somewhere.

Town coming on board show that Coach B is not comfortable with what we have for next year.
By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

fullfan

Ricky Town didn't come here to paint.

If not the season opener starter 2016 he will be by mid-season. :razorback:

lefty08

I dont get why people continue to say that coach B is not comfortable with what was on campus before this move. Its difficult to turn down potential like Town regardless of what unproven talent you have on the roster. The only way you could legitimately say thats the case is if the 3rd and 4th string guys were older. QB is a different position in that only 1 guy can play at a time. You absolutely take all the talent you can get at the QB position, it doesnt mean the others arent getting it done
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Squeal Young

If, in fact, the coaches see things they don't like in the current crop of backup QB's, then the players see it as well. The idea that bringing in a QB as a late add disrupts the "uncommon" vibe on the team doesn't hold water if the other players see the new kid as someone who will help them win ball games.

One other thing. The assumption seems to be that one of these backups will leave because of playing time, but that assumes they're really expecting to start as RS sophomores or juniors. Does anyone have a feel for what the national trend is with QB playing time on college teams these days? Do most teams have 3 year starters at QB like the Hogs do this year? Is it possible the BB is building an offensive system that will develop quality senior and fifth-year senior QB's, and that he's recruited these kids here with that in mind? Or for these kids is it really just about getting early playing time?

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 22, 2015, 01:23:34 am
He runs a 4.6 according to HS. Tyler Wilson runs a 4.75 and Mallett a 4.85 according to HS stats. In real life, Wilson ran a 4.95 at the combine and Mallett a 5.37. Broderick Green reportedly ran 4.57 in HS, but ran a 4.73 at the pro day here, meaning he probably would have been in the 4.8's at the combine in INDY.

Also, I wasn't counting him out so much as just evaluating the guys we have on hand already. Cole Keilly will also be in the mix in 2016, though with the glut of talent we already have, it would take him being an absolute freak to start.
oh i'm sure it's not a laser 4.6 but it is faster than almost all pro-style QBs. It isn't an important stat, per se, but when I watch the film the kid throws some heat while he's on the run. His escapability is very nice as well. As Duck alluded to, the questions with this kid are more 'is it swagger or arrogance'-type questions. I do really love the quote from Rick about how coach B is a great man and he wants to be like him. I believe he'll be fine attitude-wise and will be something for opposing defenses to fear in the years to come. #balance
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 21, 2015, 09:45:58 pm
I did. It was actually the second time I've watched them. I agree he throws well on the run and does good on roll outs. However, I'd argue that Ty's highlights look even better when throwing on the run. However, those were not the credentials used to define mobility previously. It was whether or not defenses would fear their ability to run. I'd be surprised if Town ran a 40 in less than 5 seconds. You don't have to be fast to be able to move in the pocket or be able to roll out and throw on the run.

You can grade all of our QB's by use of the following information that comes from a guy who was a NFL Scout for 30 years or more. This is long but if you really want to know how to evaluate QB Prospects, this is probably as good of a template for that as you will find.

Physical Traits

-Height between 6'2" and 6'4" with good athleticism.

-Ideal Weight would be in the 215-225 pound range.

-Ideal Speed in the 4.67 – 4.70 range. Of course you would love to have someone faster but don't forget, Tom Brady was a swift 5.25, Peyton Manning never was timed and numerous others won't come close to winning an award in the 100 meters.

-Arm Strength – Arm strength is important, but not THE most important trait. What I look for is obviously velocity, but I also look for spin. A quarterback who has average arm strength but throws a tight ball, will be able to play in different types of weather conditions. His "tight ball" will be able to cut the wind and be accurate. The loose ball can be driven off course under windy playing conditions.

Technical Traits

-Quick Release – The quicker the release the better. Quarterbacks who can "see it" and get the ball out of their hand quickly generally have success. For that to happen, the player needs to have a tight release. He can't have a long slow throwing motion. Defensive backs love QB's with slow releases, as it gives them the opportunity to get a jump on the ball.

-Accuracy and Ball Placement – One of the most useless stats in evaluating a quarterback is completion percentage. Ball placement is a far better indicator of accuracy. In the college game, the window to complete a pass is much larger than in the NFL. College quarterbacks seldom have to have pinpoint accuracy. That is not the case in the NFL, where the window may be two feet by two feet. The only way you can really see how accurate a quarterback is, is to watch a lot of tape and literally grade every throw as to its ball placement. There are many completed passes in college that would be interceptions in the NFL.

-Instincts/Vision – Before you can even begin to grade a quarterbacks instincts and vision, you have to know and understand what he is being asked to do in his college system. Is he playing form a spread or under center? Does he read the whole field or just one side? How many receivers are in his progression?

-Set Up Quickness – With most colleges playing from a spread, it is difficult to grade this trait. You seldom see a quarterback take a snap from under center and take three, five, and seven step drops. Sometimes you don't find the answer to that question until you work the player out.

-Avoid Rush/Run Ability – When you look at players like Peyton Manning and Tom Brady, we know that they aren't the quickest players but they have an outstanding "feel" for pass rushers. This is tied in with instincts. Because of that feel, they seldom take sacks. When evaluating college quarterbacks you have to study how they react to pass rushers. Then you have to grade their ability to "extend" plays with their quick feet and athleticism and still make an accurate throw. Next you have to grade their run skills. When the pass protections breaks down and they have to take off, do they have the run skills to make positive yards?

Mental Traits

-Many in the NFL look at the physical traits of a quarterback and rate a guy highly because of those traits. While the physical traits are important, what is more important are the intangibles and the mental traits. I don't care how good the physical traits of a quarterback are, if he doesn't have the mental traits he will fail!

Football Intelligence-Obviously, the prospect has to have a high degree of football intelligence. He has to be able to learn and totally understand the offense. Not only does he have to understand his position but the other 10 offensive positions as well. He then has to be a quick thinker on his feet. The game of football is fast. A top quarterback has to think fast and make proper decisions on the move. Instincts are tied in to that. A non-instinctive quarterback doesn't have the thought process to think quickly on his feet. Not only does he have to make quick decisions, he has to make the right decisions.

Leadership-Top quarterbacks have to be leaders. By the nature of the position, the quarterback is the face of the franchise. As such, he also has to be the leader, both verbally and by example. The quarterback needs to have the respect of their teammates and coaches. Their teammates have to believe that he is a winner. The type of guy who can lead them on a game winning drive over and over again. The type of guy who when he talks, every one listens. He also has to be a very competitive player. The type who will do anything to win and can't stand to lose. His football character needs to be almost impeccable. Not only does he need to be a top player, but a top worker. He has to be one of the hardest workers on the team and want to be as great a player as he can possibly be. In other words, a "winner".

Character-Many of these intangibles can all be grouped together in something we call the "it" factor. While it can be difficult to define "it", all top quarterbacks have "it". When we scout quarterbacks, not only are we looking for players with top football character, but we want a guy with top character. Guys who don't get in trouble off the field, are good citizens, and respected in the community. The type of guy the franchise can be proud of. A player who has brushes with the law, or does things that can be embarrassing to the organization off the field will not have the respect of his teammates or coaches. Guys like that will fail in the long run.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/the-process-of-evaluating-quarterbacks/
Go Hogs Go!

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Squeal Young on August 22, 2015, 08:25:58 am
If, in fact, the coaches see things they don't like in the current crop of backup QB's, then the players see it as well. The idea that bringing in a QB as a late add disrupts the "uncommon" vibe on the team doesn't hold water if the other players see the new kid as someone who will help them win ball games.

One other thing. The assumption seems to be that one of these backups will leave because of playing time, but that assumes they're really expecting to start as RS sophomores or juniors. Does anyone have a feel for what the national trend is with QB playing time on college teams these days? Do most teams have 3 year starters at QB like the Hogs do this year? Is it possible the BB is building an offensive system that will develop quality senior and fifth-year senior QB's, and that he's recruited these kids here with that in mind? Or for these kids is it really just about getting early playing time?
i'd actually bet that none of them leaves. But, yeah, maybe Rafe or Austin might.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 22, 2015, 08:35:37 am
You can grade all of our QB's by use of the following information that comes from a guy who was a NFL Scout for 30 years or more. This is long but if you really want to know how to evaluate QB Prospects, this is probably as good of a template for that as you will find.

Physical Traits

-Height between 6'2" and 6'4" with good athleticism.

-Ideal Weight would be in the 215-225 pound range.

-Ideal Speed in the 4.67 – 4.70 range. Of course you would love to have someone faster but don't forget, Tom Brady was a swift 5.25, Peyton Manning never was timed and numerous others won't come close to winning an award in the 100 meters.

-Arm Strength – Arm strength is important, but not THE most important trait. What I look for is obviously velocity, but I also look for spin. A quarterback who has average arm strength but throws a tight ball, will be able to play in different types of weather conditions. His "tight ball" will be able to cut the wind and be accurate. The loose ball can be driven off course under windy playing conditions.

Technical Traits

-Quick Release – The quicker the release the better. Quarterbacks who can "see it" and get the ball out of their hand quickly generally have success. For that to happen, the player needs to have a tight release. He can't have a long slow throwing motion. Defensive backs love QB's with slow releases, as it gives them the opportunity to get a jump on the ball.

-Accuracy and Ball Placement – One of the most useless stats in evaluating a quarterback is completion percentage. Ball placement is a far better indicator of accuracy. In the college game, the window to complete a pass is much larger than in the NFL. College quarterbacks seldom have to have pinpoint accuracy. That is not the case in the NFL, where the window may be two feet by two feet. The only way you can really see how accurate a quarterback is, is to watch a lot of tape and literally grade every throw as to its ball placement. There are many completed passes in college that would be interceptions in the NFL.

-Instincts/Vision – Before you can even begin to grade a quarterbacks instincts and vision, you have to know and understand what he is being asked to do in his college system. Is he playing form a spread or under center? Does he read the whole field or just one side? How many receivers are in his progression?

-Set Up Quickness – With most colleges playing from a spread, it is difficult to grade this trait. You seldom see a quarterback take a snap from under center and take three, five, and seven step drops. Sometimes you don't find the answer to that question until you work the player out.

-Avoid Rush/Run Ability – When you look at players like Peyton Manning and Tom Brady, we know that they aren't the quickest players but they have an outstanding "feel" for pass rushers. This is tied in with instincts. Because of that feel, they seldom take sacks. When evaluating college quarterbacks you have to study how they react to pass rushers. Then you have to grade their ability to "extend" plays with their quick feet and athleticism and still make an accurate throw. Next you have to grade their run skills. When the pass protections breaks down and they have to take off, do they have the run skills to make positive yards?

Mental Traits

-Many in the NFL look at the physical traits of a quarterback and rate a guy highly because of those traits. While the physical traits are important, what is more important are the intangibles and the mental traits. I don't care how good the physical traits of a quarterback are, if he doesn't have the mental traits he will fail!

Football Intelligence-Obviously, the prospect has to have a high degree of football intelligence. He has to be able to learn and totally understand the offense. Not only does he have to understand his position but the other 10 offensive positions as well. He then has to be a quick thinker on his feet. The game of football is fast. A top quarterback has to think fast and make proper decisions on the move. Instincts are tied in to that. A non-instinctive quarterback doesn't have the thought process to think quickly on his feet. Not only does he have to make quick decisions, he has to make the right decisions.

Leadership-Top quarterbacks have to be leaders. By the nature of the position, the quarterback is the face of the franchise. As such, he also has to be the leader, both verbally and by example. The quarterback needs to have the respect of their teammates and coaches. Their teammates have to believe that he is a winner. The type of guy who can lead them on a game winning drive over and over again. The type of guy who when he talks, every one listens. He also has to be a very competitive player. The type who will do anything to win and can't stand to lose. His football character needs to be almost impeccable. Not only does he need to be a top player, but a top worker. He has to be one of the hardest workers on the team and want to be as great a player as he can possibly be. In other words, a "winner".

Character-Many of these intangibles can all be grouped together in something we call the "it" factor. While it can be difficult to define "it", all top quarterbacks have "it". When we scout quarterbacks, not only are we looking for players with top football character, but we want a guy with top character. Guys who don't get in trouble off the field, are good citizens, and respected in the community. The type of guy the franchise can be proud of. A player who has brushes with the law, or does things that can be embarrassing to the organization off the field will not have the respect of his teammates or coaches. Guys like that will fail in the long run.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/the-process-of-evaluating-quarterbacks/
Judging by that, looks like our QB battle between Ricky and Ty will be epic.

runninhog

Quote from: jkstock04 on August 21, 2015, 09:41:41 pm
My thoughts as well..an injured Brandon Allen is better than our back ups...that's been made crystal clear (even though it was very tough to believe at the time). This move to bring this kid in speaks volumes.

I'll be honest, it gives me a different view of Bielema and this staff as a whole. A big time blue chip qb from California? To Arkansas? That's unheard of and big time if you ask me. The more I research about this kid in high school and what not in mind blown that he would come here...it's quite exciting honestly.

I think you hit the nail on the head. The kid wouldn't be coming to Arkansas if the coach hadn't provided reasonably strong indications that he could win the job next job. It says Bielema isn't satisfied with what's on the roster.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: runninhog on August 22, 2015, 08:53:55 am
I think you hit the nail on the head. The kid wouldn't be coming to Arkansas if the coach hadn't provided reasonably strong indications that he could win the job next job. It says Bielema isn't satisfied with what's on the roster.

I don't think any promises were made. The kid wanted to be in a true Pro-style offense and that wasn't the direction that USC was headed under Sarkisian. Arkansas does offer him that opportunity in the toughest and most highly visible conference in the nation. I doubt that he was offered more than an opportunity to compete for the starting job by this staff. They tend to live and die by their team mantra, "you get what you earn".
Go Hogs Go!

razorsharptusk

I think it just goes to prove what many have said all along.  We have a coach that wants to win ballgames and take this program to a place it hasn't been.  I see him playing the best QB option that will get us there.  Right now that is BA obviously.  Can't wait to see what next year holds.
GO HOGS!!

runninhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 22, 2015, 08:59:40 am
I don't think any promises were made. The kid wanted to be in a true Pro-style offense and that wasn't the direction that USC was headed under Sarkisian. Arkansas does offer him that opportunity in the toughest and most highly visible conference in the nation. I doubt that he was offered more than an opportunity to compete for the starting job by this staff. They tend to live and die by their team mantra, "you get what you earn".

Well, that could be true, but usually a coach will say, "You've got the tools to start for us," or "You'll have a very strong shot at a starting position." Everything else you said was completely true, but somewhere along the line, I'm guessing that kid got a strong indication he could win that job.
And it's not just in football. Coaches always dangle carrots in front of athletes. I've been through it.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: runninhog on August 22, 2015, 09:05:09 am
Well, that could be true, but usually a coach will say, "You've got the tools to start for us," or "You'll have a very strong shot at a starting position." Everything else you said was completely true, but somewhere along the line, I'm guessing that kid got a strong indication he could win that job.
And it's not just in football. Coaches always dangle carrots in front of athletes. I've been through it.

I agree with some of what you say. You can tell a kid that they have the tools, but it is up to them to earn the spot. I doubt anyone told him that he would have a strong shot at winning the starting job, probably more like he will be given every opportunity to win the starting job because at this point, no one is being labeled as the "next starter". Judging from what I've read about the kid and his family and his skill set, I think that he feels confident that he can win the starting job vs. the competition that is currently on campus.

And I understand what you are saying about having been through it, me too, and I have seen others go through it as well. But this staff and their philosophy that is a direct extension of Bielema, doesn't seem to be a staff that would attempt to blow the least amount of smoke to a recruit or his family. JMO based on what I've witnessed.
Go Hogs Go!

ChitownHawg

Quote from: lefty08 on August 22, 2015, 08:15:39 am
I dont get why people continue to say that coach B is not comfortable with what was on campus before this move. Its difficult to turn down potential like Town regardless of what unproven talent you have on the roster. The only way you could legitimately say thats the case is if the 3rd and 4th string guys were older. QB is a different position in that only 1 guy can play at a time. You absolutely take all the talent you can get at the QB position, it doesnt mean the others arent getting it done

Exactly. When CBB came to the SEC he saw Saban winning multiple NCs. At that time one star left and the next took over. All CBB is doing is to continue to increase the number of quality athletes on the roster. QB and RB are set for the next few years.

Winning in the West and championships are all about depth. And CBB is all about winning. Town is simply another step. Nothing less nothing more.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: runninhog on August 22, 2015, 08:53:55 am
naw, man. he was told EVERYTHING is EARNED

PonderinHog

Quote from: jcbville on August 21, 2015, 10:31:14 pm
I don't disagree with your premise,but at what point does it become a glut? 4? 5?  We have 85 scholarships to work with.  There are other more pressing needs on the roster.  I won't be surprised if somebody(s) leaves next year and it won't be Ricky Town.   He may be the best QB on campus - today.

Bash away!   :razorback:

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: ChitownHawg on August 22, 2015, 09:27:36 am
Exactly. When CBB came to the SEC he saw Saban winning multiple NCs. At that time one star left and the next took over. All CBB is doing is to continue to increase the number of quality athletes on the roster. QB and RB are set for the next few years.

Winning in the West and championships are all about depth. And CBB is all about winning. Town is simply another step. Nothing less nothing more.
RB isn't set just yet. Waiting on White and Whaley and then I'd say "set for YEARS"

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: PonderinHog on August 22, 2015, 09:47:23 am
I don't disagree with your premise,but at what point does it become a glut? 4? 5?  We have 85 scholarships to work with.  There are other more pressing needs on the roster.  I won't be surprised if somebody(s) leaves next year and it won't be Ricky Town.   He may be the best QB on campus - today.

Bash away!   :razorback:
5 is the max, no doubt

Dugann

By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: lefty08 on August 22, 2015, 08:15:39 am

Because it is at QB and because only one guy can play at a time, and because we have a new OC who is probably slightly different than Chaney was (we hope), I don't know that I agree with your take on this. With our previous last commitment at QB for the 2016 class, you don't just load up on QB's because they are available.
Go Hogs Go!

runninhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 22, 2015, 09:12:41 am
And I understand what you are saying about having been through it, me too, and I have seen others go through it as well. But this staff and their philosophy that is a direct extension of Bielema, doesn't seem to be a staff that would attempt to blow the least amount of smoke to a recruit or his family. JMO based on what I've witnessed.

Absolutely.
Arkansas was actually the team that promised the least (nothing other than you'll get a fair shot if you work hard and improve) during my experience with recruiting (they recruited one of my kids, not me). We chose Arkansas and had a great experience in Fayetteville. It was exactly as the coach said it would be. Highly competitive with no guarantees.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 22, 2015, 09:52:08 am
Because it is at QB and because only one guy can play at a time, and because we have a new OC who is probably slightly different than Chaney was (we hope), I don't know that I agree with your take on this. With our previous last commitment at QB for the 2016 class, you don't just load up on QB's because they are available.

Most likely CBB was thinking he has given scholarships to walk ons the last two years, so their quota of scholarship athletes was not met. Hence there is CURRENTLY room for another quality athlete. IMHO
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ChitownHawg on August 22, 2015, 09:56:32 am
Most likely CBB was thinking he has given scholarships to walk ons the last two years, so their quota of scholarship athletes was not met. Hence there is CURRENTLY room for another quality athlete. IMHO

Yes but, this isn't just any commit. He isn't going to turn Ricky Town into a first class TE. He is here for one reason and one reason only. Because of that, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see some attrition in the QB depth chart after this season with at least one transfer, maybe even two.
Go Hogs Go!

ChitownHawg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 22, 2015, 10:01:37 am
Yes but, this isn't just any commit. He isn't going to turn Ricky Town into a first class TE. He is here for one reason and one reason only. Because of that, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see some attrition in the QB depth chart after this season with at least one transfer, maybe even two.

No argument with me on your points. This is common amongst the top teams. Players leaving all of the time because the next player in is better than you.

Dwight_K_Shrute

To those saying this clearly shows CBB was not satisfied with what was on campus shouldn't this always be the norm. Never be satisfied always try to get better either through player development or raising the talent level?  I hope coach is never satisfied
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on August 22, 2015, 11:12:31 am
To those saying this clearly shows CBB was not satisfied with what was on campus shouldn't this always be the norm. Never be satisfied always try to get better either through player development or raising the talent level?  I hope coach is never satisfied
totally agree, dwight

theFlyingHog

All you need to know is, Ricky Town does not get his piss hot. It is ice cold.

bigstyx

Austin is not going anywhere. His dad has been on the staff here for 18 years. He's been going to Hog football practices since before he was in kindergarden. He's all Hog. He will compete for the starting job and accept whichever role he earns. He will continue to be great teammate and contribute however he can.

Laughing Hog

Thanks for posting the process of evaluating quarterbacks Muskogee, Very useful.
"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

lrcentral

No way this kid moves across the country just for a chance to start for a team that has won two sec games in the past few years.

Zero ties to the state. Zero ties to the staff. The kid was offered more then just a chance. IF you think people get up and move across the country to play for a middle of the Road SEC team, then I have some ocean front property in Arizona for you. The kid was told he would start unless something drastically changes.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: lrcentral on August 22, 2015, 01:42:03 pm
No way this kid moves across the country just for a chance to start for a team that has won two sec games in the past few years.

Zero ties to the state. Zero ties to the staff. The kid was offered more then just a chance. IF you think people get up and move across the country to play for a middle of the Road SEC team, then I have some ocean front property in Arizona for you. The kid was told he would start unless something drastically changes.

Believe what you will but I guarantee that this kid had no assurances that he would start. There are a lot fewer big time programs that embrace a true Pro-Style offense these days, especially in the toughest and most pre-eminent conference in the nation, and that had a lot more to do with him coning here than anything else, along with the confidence that he could win the starting job over anyone who was already here in competition for that position.
Go Hogs Go!

Pig in the Pokey

i don't think you understand how scholarships work. when he decided to transfer he couldn't just pick any school he wanted. We had a scholly left last cycle. And Coach B would NEVER just suspend one of his main program building blocks like YOU EARN EVERYTHING. so, i completely disagree with you on this one, Bud.

31to6

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on August 22, 2015, 01:48:23 pm
i don't think you understand how scholarships work. when he decided to transfer he couldn't just pick any school he wanted. We had a scholly left last cycle. And Coach B would NEVER just suspend one of his main program building blocks like YOU EARN EVERYTHING. so, i completely disagree with you on this one, Bud.

To a top notch prospect like Town "You earn everything" is a BONUS not a problem because it means that every position on the field is open for competition every year. So a RS FR will not lose out to Ty Storey or Austin Allen just because they are home town favorites, or because they have been in the system longer.

Any one of the QB's could win in the Spring. Town surely has the talent to be in the mix or this would not even be news, but all the coaches had to promise him was that there are no favorites.

Starting QB is earned, just like everything else.

HOGINTENNESSEE

August 22, 2015, 02:14:18 pm #197 Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 04:14:46 pm by HOGINTENNESSEE

Arkansas is a historically top 20 program in the most successful conference in college football. 

As far a no ties to the staff that an assumption by you. I saw an interview with Max Browne talking about Town's transfer to Arkansas and he mention that he knew CBB who recruited him a Wisconsin. There was never any public mention of Browne and Wisconsin. Just because a beat writer didn't write about it doesn't mean doesn't mean there wasn't recruitment before

Hog N Bama

No way CBB made any promises to Town other than a fair shot to compete for starter IMO.

OldCoot

Quote from: The_Iceman on August 21, 2015, 03:27:46 pm
We are QB poor?

I'm thinking you're thinking this is the exact opposite of the meaning.  QB poor= we have more than plenty.