Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ricky Town to Hogs

Started by Hogdomer, August 21, 2015, 11:14:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

lahawg1

Quote from: HamIAm on August 21, 2015, 02:49:17 pm
I don't think he loses his scholarship just because he got injured, especially seeing it occured after fall camp started.

I can't see anyone taking anything away from JWill

tophawg19

looks like a 4 way dogfight next season with 4 highly ranked qb's . have we ever had this many at 1 time ? to the best of my memory all were highly ranked at the position. 2 mobile in Peavey and Town and two more pocket guys although AA can run a bit himself Storey is the one no one fears his running but rushing a guy his size isn't fun. He is strong enough to toss off a defender and big enough to bull doze them. Every one of them can get you 10 on their feet .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

TeedupHigh

How about Cole Kelly........................

grayhawg

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on August 21, 2015, 03:47:10 pm
Not a 4 horse race. They wouldn't even play AA when BA was hurt.
This:   and I bet one or maybe two will transfer.

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: TeedupHigh on August 21, 2015, 03:44:43 pm
How about Cole Kelly........................

From Richard Davenport.

Arkansas quarterback commitment Cole Kelley- Lafayette, (La.) Teurlings Catholic on if Town transfering to Arkansas has an impact on his pledge.
"Absolutely not."

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: HAWG MAFIA on August 21, 2015, 12:16:21 pm
what position would he switch to?
Receiver, isn't he supposed to be fast on his feet?  I don't know much about the kid, but if he is an athlete, they'll figure something out.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

bennyl08

Quote from: tophawg19 on August 21, 2015, 03:44:07 pm
looks like a 4 way dogfight next season with 4 highly ranked qb's . have we ever had this many at 1 time ? to the best of my memory all were highly ranked at the position. 2 mobile in Peavey and Town and two more pocket guys although AA can run a bit himself Storey is the one no one fears his running but rushing a guy his size isn't fun. He is strong enough to toss off a defender and big enough to bull doze them. Every one of them can get you 10 on their feet .

Wait, what? In what way is Town considered a mobile qb? Watching his highlights, it is apparent that his athleticism is about on par with Storey's. Neither guy will strike fear into defenses with their running, but both are about on Tyler Wilson's level, so they are what I would consider frustratingly athletic. The guy who you don't generally fear to run the ball, but is smart enough and athletic enough to make you pay if you ignore their ability to run with 8 yard gains and slides. Peavey is certainly the biggest run threat and Austin can do some damage too. I think BA is quicker than his brother, but his brother is faster.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

AugustaHog

Quote from: OldCoot on August 21, 2015, 03:26:03 pm
Somewhere HDN is asking himself what the frick.

My question:  Is there a concern about the talent we have on campus right now.  We are QB poor which the last time I remember was with Sorahan/Jones/Jackson.
I don't know that I would call our depth chart "QB poor", but we don't have anyone who has stepped up and announced themselves the heir apparent.  Obviously, that is an altogether separate concern.  I think we will find a quality QB from the guys we have.  We will have 4 guys who have ability and talent going through spring and fall camp with a shot at taking the reigns next year.  CBB and Enos realize how important next year could be.  We return virtually everyone on D and quite a bit on offense.  If we find a QB and a couple RBs, we will be in a serious spot to contend over the next few years. 

Sivad

HogPharmer

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on August 21, 2015, 11:45:21 am
FIFY ;D

Gonna be another classic "knile or kniles" issue.... Let's just go with whatever Gary Danielson & Verne decide to call him from week to week
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

HogMantheIntruder

"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

Bowfishinghogfan

surely we lose 2 qb's over this but we just gained one better than whats up on the hill now. It will be his position to lose not his to win. from a competition standpoint alone, he has faced a lot harder teams and much better athletes than any of the other qb's on the hill.
glad we have a qb logjam problem. this is defiantly not the norm

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Hog-Corleone on August 21, 2015, 01:36:12 pm
I have a feeling that we will have the same problem with Ricky Town(s) as we did with Knile(s) Davis...

NO "S" ATs THEs ENDs OFs HISs NAMEs.  LET"Ss GETs THISs RIGHTs PEOPLEs...

I would like to point out the number 1 in the NBA draft's name is Towns with an S

Uberanubis

Quote from: Poppa Tart on August 21, 2015, 04:45:14 pm
Seriously?

actually, it may be possible since jwill is out for the year, and if he will not return, he could give up his scholarship and go to a medical scholarship for the remainder of the semester.

I believe I remember reading he only needs like 3 credit hours this semester to graduate.

not saying that would happen but I think its possible.
Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 31, 2015, 11:37:05 am
I think it's a common event whether it is in AR or around the world where a group of Hog fans get together.  I've seen it in TN, TX, LA and in Germany.  Being a Razorback is like being in a brotherhood.  When the brotherhood meet, they call the Hogs.

Doug

Quote from: moehogTown is the player to be named later...We sent Mitch and Damien for Broderick.
Broderick was the consolation prize for letting them kick our ass so heavily back to back.
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

jcharkansas

Quote from: rzrbk4life on August 21, 2015, 12:08:06 pm
Big time pick up. We are loaded at qb for the future
Yea now they just need some WRs to throw too.

tophawg19

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 21, 2015, 04:17:47 pm
Wait, what? In what way is Town considered a mobile qb? Watching his highlights, it is apparent that his athleticism is about on par with Storey's. Neither guy will strike fear into defenses with their running, but both are about on Tyler Wilson's level, so they are what I would consider frustratingly athletic. The guy who you don't generally fear to run the ball, but is smart enough and athletic enough to make you pay if you ignore their ability to run with 8 yard gains and slides. Peavey is certainly the biggest run threat and Austin can do some damage too. I think BA is quicker than his brother, but his brother is faster.
watch town's highlights . he is mobile and very good on roll outs . he throws well on the run .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

presidenthog

Quote from: Hoggard on August 21, 2015, 01:21:48 pm
One other thing !!!!

1. Offensive line U .. Check.
2. RBU.... Check.
3. QBU ? Hell yeah. Check.

Coming next ? WRU !!!!

Come on down Cleveland.
we was left out or clevelands top 8. you only get 5 officials... it seems to be over with him for the time being unless a great year changes things.

TheRazorback500

Quote from: tophawg19 on August 21, 2015, 06:39:33 pm
watch town's highlights . he is mobile and very good on roll outs . he throws well on the run .
I saw them... His footwork is solid and he has a live arm. I think we're going to like this guy.

:razorback:
Do you wanna get Rocked?

factchecker

Quote from: TheRazorback500 on August 21, 2015, 07:15:30 pm
I saw them... His footwork is solid and he has a live arm. I think we're going to like this guy.

:razorback:

This okie turned Arkansas writer takes some shots at Coach B b/c of Towns transfer

https://twitter.com/ericwbolin/status/634885392223698944
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

ricepig

Quote from: factchecker on August 21, 2015, 07:46:19 pm
This okie turned Arkansas writer takes some shots at Coach B b/c of Towns transfer

Yeah, he's a hipster, going for the "realistic" approach on all things Hogs related.

TheRazorback500

Do you wanna get Rocked?

bigbadhog

I think AA and RP go after this year.  Storey and Town going forward...
Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

theFlyingHog

Quote from: factchecker on August 21, 2015, 07:46:19 pm

Did we just answer the most asked question, Who Is Robert Shields?

factchecker

August 21, 2015, 08:13:05 pm #124 Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 08:26:49 pm by factchecker
Quote from: TheRazorback500 on August 21, 2015, 08:04:04 pm
Wow, he's critical.

I'm not even mad that the writer suggest that Town chose Arkansas due to the lack of qb talent on our roster. 

Because how could a "team with two total conference wins in the last two seasons, one with a ground-and-pound tradition" be a better fit than USC's rich football tradition.  >:(

I understand everyone has their own opinion.  It's great to try and view the situation from every angle. 

However, I do take issue with him suggesting this kid has baggage.  Really?  In a time where coaches hide rape charges and take in woman beaters we are going to fault a coach for accepting a kid who, for all we know, has a spotless record.  I guess we need to have a running back who broke a woman's face like the writer's home state Sooners to be his definition of Uncommon.  :puke:

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: ricepig on August 21, 2015, 07:52:05 pm
Yeah, he's a hipster, going for the "realistic" approach on all things Hogs related.

He did a very poor job proving his argument that Town has any character issues that goes against CBB culture

PossumFan

Quote from: tophawg19 on August 21, 2015, 03:44:07 pm
looks like a 4 way dogfight next season with 4 highly ranked qb's . have we ever had this many at 1 time ?

Fred Marshall, Jon Brittenum, Gordon Guest, Bill Gray in the '60s. Before the star-based ratings system, but those were four pretty good ones on one team.

go hogues

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on August 21, 2015, 07:01:21 pm
I bet AA stays at this point in his career. He is much like Nathan Dick in that he probably won't fill in his brothers shoes as starter. But he's a good kid. I bet he stays.

Peavy might be odd man out here and may look at his options while he still has years left to work with.

So I really see it as a two horse race.
Nathan Dick transferred...
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

MissippHog

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on August 21, 2015, 08:23:28 pm
He did a very poor job proving his argument that Town has any character issues that goes against CBB culture
I don't think he proved anything with that article other than he knows how to slam a kid without even knowing him.  If anyone has character issues it's the author (see how easy that is?)

Hog N Bama

Quote from: Hoggard on August 21, 2015, 01:19:24 pm
If my memory is correct this is the second year that CBB saved a scholarship that he was able to put to good use later on. How much hair pulling and angst was there in the recruiting forum over that 25th spot ? It was ridiculous to read some of the responses...

I'm very impressed with the patience CBB has shown in the recruiting process. He's very smart. If he wants to hold a scholarship every year to pick up a stud late in the game then great !!!! So glad CBB didn't just grab anyone to fill that final spot as many here seemed to want !!!!

WPS !!!! This is huge guys , huge. Enos is showing what he brings to the table right away. Folks if we can put a passing game with our running attack the Hogs are going to quickly become an annual top 5 team... This is just a HUGE HUGE get... GO HOGS GO CBB !!! WPS  :razorback:
Great post! Coach B has each slot saved for an UNCOMMON Man!  :razorback:

hogchic2001

Go HOGS Go!

factchecker

Last statement about the aforementioned writer--- 

Being critical of a coach doesn't bother me.  Making assumptions about a kids character with little to base it on does.   

However, after viewing and thankfully not engaging this fool on twitter, it is plain to see he is of the "new wave" social media reporters.  They take pride in being controversial via "hot takes" vs. having integrity.  They rather be internet famous and create click bait material that pisses off the local fan base.  The writer is having a grand time laughing about our fan base.  How a grown man who works as a "professional journalist" relishes in trolling people is beyond me.

Sorry for the rant.  GO HOGS!
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

presidenthog

from what bo mattingly says he believes Rafe and ty have no shot at starting that austin is on another planet. I'm not sure why he doesn't believe that after a RS year that ty can't learn the offense and adjust to the speed of the game. I believe Rafe will never start. I'm just not sure if he has adjusted to the speed yet and he may never. I have not been impressed with Austin at all so If he is the starter I hope he has improved alot. I'm hoping the 2 frosh can adjust and push for starting spot just for competition sake.

factchecker

August 21, 2015, 09:12:43 pm #133 Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 09:24:39 pm by factchecker
Quote from: presidenthog on August 21, 2015, 09:08:42 pm
from what bo mattingly says he believes Rafe and ty have no shot at starting that austin is on another planet. I'm not sure why he doesn't believe that after a RS year that ty can't learn the offense and adjust to the speed of the game. I believe Rafe will never start. I'm just not sure if he has adjusted to the speed yet and he may never. I have not been impressed with Austin at all so If he is the starter I hope he has improved alot. I'm hoping the 2 frosh can adjust and push for starting spot just for competition sake.

My amateur non "hot-take" evaluation of each quarterback based on handful of scrimmages I've attended:

Austin:  Pros- Gunslinger, playmaker, patient in the pocket
            Cons- Will force throws instead of throwing away. 

Rafe:   Pros- Highly mobile, strong armed, great spiral
           Cons- height, looks to run early

Ty-  Hard to judge this early -- I've heard weak arm, but I've yet see him have a chance to really air it out.

In the end, it really is hard to judge any of the quarterbacks.  We have to get some live, in game views to form an honest opinion.  I'm a B.A. supporter but I do hope we have a chance (b/c we are blowing a team out) to see the other guys get reps.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Seebs

I assume the phrase that goes with Erin's rant is ' U mad bro"?   
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

HawgnCorona

Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

presidenthog

Quote from: factchecker on August 21, 2015, 09:12:43 pm
My amateur non "hot-take" evaluation of each quarterback based on handful of scrimmages I've attended:

Austin:  Pros- Gunslinger, playmaker, patient in the pocket
            Cons- Will force throws instead of throwing away. 

Rafe:   Pros- Highly mobile, strong armed, great spiral
           Cons- height, looks to run early

Ty-  Hard to judge this early -- I've heard weak arm, but I've yet see him have a chance to really air it out.

In the end, it really is hard to judge any of the quarterbacks.  We have to get some live, in game views to form an honest opinion.  I'm a B.A. supporter but I do hope we have a chance (b/c we are blowing a team out) to see the other guys get reps.
I've heard basically what your saying. I figure Rafe would try using his athleticism instead of being patient, this is why I hate mobile QB's usually. I feel like instead of trying to be the smartest player on the field (which a qb must be to be great) they rely on thier feet and tend to make poorer desicions. do you think the feeling for ty's weak arm could come from him being a frosh without proper S&C and him being uncomfortable with the offense/reads and not just letting it rip?

also in saying this the reason I'm excited about town is he has 4.6 speed but wants to be a pocket passer. he is an athlete that is a QB first and foremost. not the other way around.

redeye

Quote from: factchecker on August 21, 2015, 09:00:28 pm
Last statement about the aforementioned writer--- 

Being critical of a coach doesn't bother me.  Making assumptions about a kids character with little to base it on does.   

However, after viewing and thankfully not engaging this fool on twitter, it is plain to see he is of the "new wave" social media reporters.  They take pride in being controversial via "hot takes" vs. having integrity.  They rather be internet famous and create click bait material that pisses off the local fan base.  The writer is having a grand time laughing about our fan base.  How a grown man who works as a "professional journalist" relishes in trolling people is beyond me.

Sorry for the rant.  GO HOGS!

Yea, I agree.  Except that he doesn't come across as a grown man to me.

WTH Faldon?  Did you hire this clown?

jkstock04

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on August 21, 2015, 03:47:10 pm
Not a 4 horse race. They wouldn't even play AA when BA was hurt.
My thoughts as well..an injured Brandon Allen is better than our back ups...that's been made crystal clear (even though it was very tough to believe at the time). This move to bring this kid in speaks volumes.

I'll be honest, it gives me a different view of Bielema and this staff as a whole. A big time blue chip qb from California? To Arkansas? That's unheard of and big time if you ask me. The more I research about this kid in high school and what not in mind blown that he would come here...it's quite exciting honestly.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

factchecker

To be honest about Ty, I don't know.  I've only really seen Ty during the warm ups.  Coach Enos puts the quarterbacks through a pretty rigorous warm up which you probably won't see prior to games.  They do footwork and bag drills before throwing into a target net.  Ty looks a little slower and less powerful than the rest.  It definitely could be strength and conditioning oriented.  Ty could also could be having trouble taking a snap from under center.  I often forget that he is only a True Freshman who was running an offense from the gun a year ago.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

bennyl08

Quote from: tophawg19 on August 21, 2015, 06:39:33 pm

I did. It was actually the second time I've watched them. I agree he throws well on the run and does good on roll outs. However, I'd argue that Ty's highlights look even better when throwing on the run. However, those were not the credentials used to define mobility previously. It was whether or not defenses would fear their ability to run. I'd be surprised if Town ran a 40 in less than 5 seconds. You don't have to be fast to be able to move in the pocket or be able to roll out and throw on the run.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

redeye

My opinion is that all this worry about what will happen with our QB's is ridiculous.  Quarterback battles are normal, which is why the SECN has spent so much time covering them the past few weeks.  This is a good thing, because it creates competition.

No quarterback is ever guaranteed the starting position, because that has to be won.  Those who don't play well enough, battle for the backup position.  If they don't make it as a backup, then they get the opportunity to continue competing for it or they can transfer and there's nothing wrong with transferring.  If Storey, Peavey or Allen transfer, then it's probably in their best interest.  What it does NOT mean is that anyone was treated wrong or unfairly, unless Bielema personally guaranteed them that they'd eventually be the starter, which I seriously doubt.

presidenthog

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 21, 2015, 09:45:58 pm
I did. It was actually the second time I've watched them. I agree he throws well on the run and does good on roll outs. However, I'd argue that Ty's highlights look even better when throwing on the run. However, those were not the credentials used to define mobility previously. It was whether or not defenses would fear their ability to run. I'd be surprised if Town ran a 40 in less than 5 seconds. You don't have to be fast to be able to move in the pocket or be able to roll out and throw on the run.
the 4.6 speed I got from someone in the recruiting forum. I did not look up his 40 but I probably should have looked that up myself but I just figured they was a recruiting junkie and did the leg work for me. take that # with caution.

jkstock04

Quote from: redeye on August 21, 2015, 09:46:56 pm
My opinion is that all this worry about what will happen with our QB's is ridiculous.  Quarterback battles are normal, which is why the SECN has spent so much time covering them the past few weeks.  This is a good thing, because it creates competition.

No quarterback is ever guaranteed the starting position, because that has to be won.  Those who don't play well enough, battle for the backup position.  If they don't make it as a backup, then they get the opportunity to continue competing for it or they can transfer and there's nothing wrong with transferring.  If Storey, Peavey or Allen transfer, then it's probably in their best interest.  What it does NOT mean is that anyone was treated wrong or unfairly, unless Bielema personally guaranteed them that they'd eventually be the starter, which I seriously doubt.
Well evidently we have had zero QB competition thus far during the Bielema era. I honestly thought he was just loyal to a fault...to the most experienced qb on campus come hell or high water that's who he would go with regardless.

This move makes me think different.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

HF#1

Quote from: jkstock04 on August 21, 2015, 09:55:13 pm
Well evidently we have had zero QB competition thus far during the Bielema era. I honestly thought he was just loyal to a fault...to the most experienced qb on campus come hell or high water that's who he would go with regardless.

This move makes me think different.

Why?  Cause he is taking essentially 2 QB's for 2016?  Austin, Rafe, Ty, Cole and Ricky will all compete for the job. It makes no sense to me that Austin would leave.  Rafe, maybe. The notion that Ty or Ricky will just waltz in and take the job in 2016 is laughable. People underestimate Austin badly. 
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

bigbadhog

Quote from: HF#1 on August 21, 2015, 10:06:55 pm
Why?  Cause he is taking essentially 2 QB's for 2016?  Austin, Rafe, Ty, Cole and Ricky will all compete for the job. It makes no sense to me that Austin would leave.  Rafe, maybe. The notion that Ty or Ricky will just waltz in and take the job in 2016 is laughable. People underestimate Austin badly. 

Including the coaches.  See Missouri game...
Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

lefty08

Nobody will leave until after the spring anyhow, after then we will see

QBs have to leave to get PT, nature of the beast
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

HF#1

Quote from: bigbadhog on August 21, 2015, 10:12:23 pm
Including the coaches.  See Missouri game...

You think Brandon was the problem in the Missouri game?  How many times did we lose when we threw the ball more than 30 times? Jim Chaney was the problem against Mizzou, not our QB or the backup QB...
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

jkstock04

The simple fact of the matter is that like discussed above...an injured Brandon Allen is (or was) a better choice at qb than Austin Allen. No way to spin that.

This fall even after Brandon struggled and Austin seemingly did well in a scrimmage, Bielema said Brandon was #1 and would continue to be so...he said it without the slightest hesitation. 

IF he were to get beat out for the QB job next year I wouldn't see much reason for him to stay? To me, like I said...this move speaks volumes...and it's very exciting to me as a fan that we can pull an out of state player of this magnitude. WOW is all I can say.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

presidenthog

It wasn't until this fall camp that anyone, including the coaches, had anything positive to say about austin. so sorry that no one has faith in him at this point. the reason people are hopeful is lack of good news about AA and RP and are hopeful that like other QB's elsewhere that have redshirted and improved enough over that time frame, that our own highly ranked frosh can do the same.