Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Student Skyboxes

Started by Porked Tongue, August 20, 2015, 09:01:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

widespreadsooie

bennyl08

I bet the only student organizations that get it are frats or sororities. Maybe one token academic group per year, but still, that is awesome they are doing that all that same.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

widespreadsooie

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 20, 2015, 09:09:59 pm
I bet the only student organizations that get it are frats or sororities. Maybe one token academic group per year, but still, that is awesome they are doing that all that same.

It's nice and cool in concept but it may be hard to find enough people who want to watch a game from the upper South end zone to make it worth reserving

Porked Tongue

The reserved aspect will be part of the appeal.

bennyl08

Quote from: widespreadsooie on August 20, 2015, 09:18:27 pm
It's nice and cool in concept but it may be hard to find enough people who want to watch a game from the upper South end zone to make it worth reserving

Reading the description in the link, it talks about providing people a place to congregate and come together. From my experiences at games at Arkansas, the greeks only came to make an appearance, be seen by other people, and talk. They never yelled, or cheered, or anything else. However, they would send a handful of people to hold spots in line for the entire fraternity before the game so that they could have all important seats close to the sideline just to casually talk and never do what a student section should do which is scream and yell until you are horse. Hence, what says importance and prestige more than a skybox? With this option, your big time greeks places can rent out the skyboxes, feel important, be sufficiently social at an important gathering, and also not have to worry about being next to other students at the game yelling and interrupting their important conversations about how much they had to drink the previous night and whose parents aren't millionaires.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

ricepig

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 20, 2015, 09:33:38 pm
Reading the description in the link, it talks about providing people a place to congregate and come together. From my experiences at games at Arkansas, the greeks only came to make an appearance, be seen by other people, and talk. They never yelled, or cheered, or anything else. However, they would send a handful of people to hold spots in line for the entire fraternity before the game so that they could have all important seats close to the sideline just to casually talk and never do what a student section should do which is scream and yell until you are horse. Hence, what says importance and prestige more than a skybox? With this option, your big time greeks places can rent out the skyboxes, feel important, be sufficiently social at an important gathering, and also not have to worry about being next to other students at the game yelling and interrupting their important conversations about how much they had to drink the previous night and whose parents aren't millionaires.

Someone didn't get a bid.

(notOM)Rebel123

Pretty liberal definition of "skybox". Nothing more than renaming the same space that was up there last year, (that very few students used), but allowing groups to reserve a section.  It's still on the rooftop of the Southend. But, if it does something to attract students & help keep them at the games past halftime, That's cool. Just make sure the wi-if works well up there.  ;)
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

bennyl08

Quote from: ricepig on August 20, 2015, 09:34:54 pm

Someone who never rushed. Maybe things have changed in the past couple of years, but the people dressing up in their sunday best weren't the one's yelling during the games. Similarly, greeks definitely have the stereotype of every conversation being, OMG, I drank so much last night. I was the guy going to house parties and bands on dixon street. I went to a few pike parties b/c my freshmen roommate was in with them and they were both the least racist and most friendly fraternity as well as the most frowned upon by every other frat. Cross reference that with the undeniable statistics on sexual assault at frat parties, and there is a negative stereotype about frats that is both deserved and exists beyond jealousy.

widespreadsooie

Most kid's parents who are millionaires aren't sitting in the upper South end zone, just my guess.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 20, 2015, 10:20:20 pm
Someone who never rushed. Maybe things have changed in the past couple of years, but the people dressing up in their sunday best weren't the one's yelling during the games. Similarly, greeks definitely have the stereotype of every conversation being, OMG, I drank so much last night. I was the guy going to house parties and bands on dixon street. I went to a few pike parties b/c my freshmen roommate was in with them and they were both the least racist and most friendly fraternity as well as the most frowned upon by every other frat. Cross reference that with the undeniable statistics on sexual assault at frat parties, and there is a negative stereotype about frats that is both deserved and exists beyond jealousy.

They can't hurt you anymore buddy.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

Arkamedes

Quote from: ricepig on August 20, 2015, 09:34:54 pm

I'm sure there are many who can relate to what Benny was saying but, I'm sorry, that response was priceless.
"The time is always right to do what is right." ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Rise above oneself and grasp the world." ~ Archimedes

NuttinItUp

Pigsknuckles

I get vertigo just looking up at those seats. Can't imagine watching a game from there. I hear tell though that it is much safer than it appears.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

010HogFan

+1

Inhogswetrust

August 21, 2015, 08:31:15 am #15 Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 06:59:38 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: widespreadsooie on August 20, 2015, 09:18:27 pm

A group of student friends all sitting together being able to watch TV's, lounge around and have fun..........I would be shocked if it wasn't already sold out.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

August 21, 2015, 08:33:31 am #16 Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 07:00:21 pm by Inhogswetrust

Although it's true some things frats have done are deplorable.........they also do good sometimes as well. That's not to downplay the bad stuff. To typecast all frat members in the same way simply by them being a member is not 100% accurate.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

WorfHog

Sounds like a decent use of the space. I hope all Student Organizations are given equal treatment during the selection process. 

wholehog92

As a nontraditional student while I was there, I had a little different outlook than the typical college kid.  What you are describing was there as recently as 06.  Describing Greeks in general like that is more of a caricature.

What was prevalent were kids who were unsure of themselves and had been taken care of by mommy and daddy their whole lives millionaire or not.  Those people were unsure of how to make friends, evaluate people, and generally figure out life.  The Greek system is great for those guys, it gives them a halfway house to life.  Nothing wrong with it at all.  It's not like those kids chose who their parents would be or made their parents' money.  No reason to hold it against them.  The Greek system allows them to be successful instead of failing and serves a purpose.  Like all organizations, the loudmouthed idiots get the attention and are the ones you are making a caricature of and placing it on the system as a whole.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

RME

As a graduate of the U of A this past May, I can (almost) guarantee that organizations other than Greek affiliations would prefer this space. Frats have their houses, they don't need this space. Organizations that are trying to reach students and get people involved (Fresh Hogs, ASG, Cru, StuMo, etc) are more likely to rent out this place.

HogimusMaximus

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: WorfHog on August 21, 2015, 08:38:21 am
Sounds like a decent use of the space. I hope all Student Organizations are given equal treatment during the selection process. 

That area has been available. Very few students utilized it last year. Maybe by being able to "reserve" it, will make it more attractive. Hope it generates some interest. Be cool if students packed that upper roof.

ricepig

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on August 21, 2015, 08:11:14 pm
That area has been available. Very few students utilized it last year. Maybe by being able to "reserve" it, will make it more attractive. Hope it generates some interest. Be cool if students packed that upper roof.

They'd probably have 100% sellouts if it was a kegger.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: ricepig on August 21, 2015, 08:14:31 pm
They'd probably have 100% sellouts if it was a kegger.

Heck, I might sign up for a class just to get access to a kegger at games!

hawgXi

Yup benny at $750/game for 150 reserved seats it will probably take a fraternity of the 1 percenters to step up for this set up.

PEtrader

Sorry bro,  she told me you guys were just friends.
Oddball on NWA: "I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know. "

talley

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on August 21, 2015, 12:24:45 am
They can't hurt you anymore buddy.

Top 5 funniest things I've read on here.... And great use of quote from big daddy

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: hawgXi on August 21, 2015, 09:00:18 pm
Yup benny at $750/game for 150 reserved seats it will probably take a fraternity of the 1 percenters to step up for this set up.

Ha! Exactly. Those $5 seats are just out of reach for many. The space is available for any officially registered University of Arkansas student organizations, not just Greeks. But that $5 will probably keep that pesky
Association of Ceramic Enthusiasts or the Block & Bridle Clubs off the roof top.

http://osa.uark.edu/pdfs/website-information-not-categorized.pdf

PEtrader

Quote from: talley on August 22, 2015, 12:28:48 am
Top 5 funniest things I've read on here.... And great use of quote from big daddy

Yep
Oddball on NWA: "I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know. "

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: talley on August 22, 2015, 12:28:48 am

I'm glad it was recognized.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

McKdaddy

Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

Cresthog

None of the decent fraternities are going to even consider this. There's much better "gatherings" in the Pit and on Stadium Drive.

widespreadsooie

Quote from: Cresthog on August 23, 2015, 03:13:07 pm
None of the decent fraternities are going to even consider this. There's much better "gatherings" in the Pit and on Stadium Drive.

Absolutely