Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ark @ Alabama 2007 on ESPN Classic 8 pm Central tonight (Thursday)

Started by WizardofhOgZ, August 20, 2015, 07:59:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WizardofhOgZ

FYI...DMac in full beast mode...HDN conservatism late in the game...and friendly (to Bama) zebras at the end cost us this game.

TNRazorbacker

Was at that game. No thanks. Was painful enough the first time.

Pigasaurus

Was at the beach that week, steaks grilling on deck, whole family around ready for a great game.  puke.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

Tortfeasor

KSHog1974

Was at the game...2010 game vs bama may have been the loudest atmosphere for an entire game I've been to...when bama scored late in this game it may have been the loudest moment in a game I've been to...great experience overall...been that much better if we'd won.

TNRazorbacker

You could have heard a pin drop when we went ahead though. Hogs had a good crowd at that game. I remember a couple Hog calls that drowned out the home crowd.

SemperHawg

I watched this at 2 a.m. from Ar Ramadi Iraq. About twenty Marines watching the game, and I was the only Razorback in the group of Bama fans...It was great until the end. 

Tejano Jawg

Good...tuned in just in time to see their winning TD drive. :(
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Tejano Jawg

Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on August 20, 2015, 07:59:21 pm
FYI...DMac in full beast mode...HDN conservatism late in the game...and friendly (to Bama) zebras at the end cost us this game.
not gonna watch it, like others I remember watching the game live and at game's end I launched into a higher orbit than the "ol' Ball Coach's" visor...I'll never forget their last drive, I know they got one call that if they had not gotten it, it would have ended the game...but honestly Wizard, how many pass interference calls did we get in the the game winning drive for Alabama ?

Ad: Because McFadden gave his heart, soul and a couple of fractured ribs to catching us up in the game after being way down and finally taking the lead only to have Birmingham take the game from us, is why I cannot watch it...it honestly makes me physically ill
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on August 20, 2015, 09:59:59 pm
not gonna watch it, like others I remember watching the game live and at game's end I launched into a higher orbit than the "ol' Ball Coach's" visor...I'll never forget their last drive, I know they got one call that if they had not gotten it, it would have ended the game...but honestly Wizard, how many pass interference calls did we get in the the game winning drive for Alabama ?

Ad: Because McFadden gave his heart, soul and a couple of fractured ribs to catching us up in the game after being way down and finally taking the lead only to have Birmingham take the game from us, is why I cannot watch it...it honestly makes me physically ill

I didn't watch the replay last night - just made the post to alert those that might want to.  But I remember the play you're talking about, because it really pissed me off at the time. 

Since I didn't watch, I might get a few of the details a little wrong . . . but, essentially, as Bama was making what turned out to be their winning drive, they had no time outs left . . . and they completed a pass (or, it may have been a run) down to our 4 or 5 yard line . . . but, CLEARLY, a yard short of the first down - a first down which would have momentarily stopped the clock while the chains were moved.  There were maybe 15-20 seconds left in the game, and the clock should have been winding down while Alabama hurriedly tried to get all their personnel down field and lined up, with no play called, etc.   Under such circumstances, they would have probably spiked the ball with about 5 seconds on the clock - still no time outs and probably one play to win or lose the game.

However, the officials for some reason stopped the clock FOR A MEASUREMENT.  To nobody's surprise, it was a full yard short of the line to gain.  Meanwhile, Alabama was able to think about the play(s) they wanted to run, switch personnel, and were on the line to snap the ball as soon as it was put in play.  This saved them 10-15 critical seconds, and they eventually went on to win after another controversial call - the pass interference you referenced.

Yes - a massive screw job yet again.

WizardofhOgZ

And, actually, there is another massive screwing we got earlier in the game.  Much like the phantom Pass Interference on John Rees that cost us a TD in the Big Shootout, this whole sequence was cut from the condensed replay last night (I did peek in a couple of times for a few minutes, and one of them happened to be right where this should have been).

If you watched the replay, you probably saw the "quick summary" they did where they showed the scoring highlights in the second and third quarter that stretched Bama's lead back to 21 points after we had cut it to 11.  Their last TD in that sequence followed a long punt return inside our 10 yard line.  They showed the return part of that play.  But not the beginning.

Our punter (whoever it was - I forget) took a snap that was delivered low enough that it hit the ground right before it got to him.  However, he fielded it and continued his kicking motion, getting off a good kick, which was deep and returned almost for a TD.  The issue is that the kicker was clobbered (roughed) and no flag was thrown.  The announcers stated - incorrectly - that a ball that touches the ground takes the punter's protection off.  That is not true.  The rule states that when you are in an obvious kicking formation, and the kicker remains in the process of kicking, he maintains the normal protection afforded a kicker.  That play should have resulted in a 15 yard penalty and first down for us.  Another huge play in the game, called wrong by the zebras.

Now, if he had run with the ball for a few steps, or had to chase it to retrieve it before kicking, that's a different deal.  But, in essence, a low snap is no different from a high snap that a kicker has to jump up to catch before kicking.  It may or may not lead to a blocked kick, but if the kicker maintains his motion and gets it off, he can be roughed just like any other kicker.

See item #3 below:

http://www.midmorefs.com/cfoa/Resources/Guides/Don't%20Believe%20Everything%20You%20Hear.pdf

elksnort

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on August 20, 2015, 07:59:21 pm
HDN made a poor choice to throw the ball at the end of the game, about the same as Paul Petrino against ULM.

jkstock04

What I remember about that game is us building a huge lead on them...almost blowout fashion...and then HDN going conservative (as usual)...just zero coaching and praying that clock would run out. I remember him waving his arms wildly as they wouldn't start the clock like he thought they should lol.

Sagan beat us that day and the rest is history. We have not beat them since 2006 (I believe). So assuming a loss at Tuscaloosa this year, we get them back at home next season and it'll mark the 10 year anniversary since we bested them! Lol maybe that will be our year.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Jborohog09

Quote from: jkstock04 on August 22, 2015, 08:19:00 am
What I remember about that game is us building a huge lead on them...almost blowout fashion...and then HDN going conservative (as usual)...just zero coaching and praying that clock would run out. I remember him waving his arms wildly as they wouldn't start the clock like he thought they should lol.

Sagan beat us that day and the rest is history. We have not beat them since 2006 (I believe). So assuming a loss at Tuscaloosa this year, we get them back at home next season and it'll mark the 10 year anniversary since we bested them! Lol maybe that will be our year.

Actually, Alabama was the one who built the big lead.  They were up 21-0 in the first half, then 31-10 in the third when D-MAC went wild and got the Hogs up 38-34.  Instead of being conservative like HDN normally was, he called a bootleg pass on a third down that fell incomplete and saved 30-40 seconds for Bama to have on their game winning drive.  Thinking about that game still irritates me.

uams1989

There were several bad calls but you all forget it went both ways. With about 5 minutes to go on Bama's field goal drive, Dacus got away with a blatant PI that just as you mention the announcers talking about other calls, they ranted about how bad a miss call that was. Bama won so we forget but it went both ways.

Wagers though was at his worst. Did you see him call roughing the kicker on Arkansas when JPW was roughed as QB. Another ref had to come tell him it was roughing the passer. Bama wasn't punting.
"They got a name for the winners in the world...
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide..."