Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ut oh, Petrino had to be physically restrained from going after Sports Media Guy

Started by Doug, August 20, 2015, 11:33:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Doug on August 20, 2015, 11:42:53 am
Different situation, different mindset, different year, but I can tell you that from my own personal observations of Paul a couple years ago (I was on the field for the coach's handshake mid-field), I was less than impressed with his actions and attitude then. So, to hear about yesterday's issues really doesn't surprise me, sadly.
which 52-0 game was that ? or should I say 0-52 ?
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Mike Irwin

When I was a cub reporter for KFSM in the mid to late 70's my favorite assignment was covering the SWC press tour. It was a nine day event. We travelled to all eight schools with one day off in the middle. In the evenings after everybody had posted their stories we'd all head to some local watering hole. I was mesmerized by the stories told by guys like John Hollis of the Houston Chronicle, Dan Cook who was the sports anchor at KENS in San Antonio and sports editor of the San Antonio Express and Dave Campbell of the Waco Tribune and publisher his own Texas Football Magazine.

Those guys got jumped plenty of times by coaches. It never made the newspapers or TV. The attitude they had...coaching is a damn tough job. Coaches need to vent from time to time. Who better to chew out than a reporter? I'm sure they didn't enjoy it at the time but the stories they told were hilarious and in almost every instance the coach in question would come back later and apologize. It was a grown up, big boy world they existed in. It was football not a tea party.

I will say this about Paul Petrino. He wasn't on that motorcycle. So he wasn't a good offensive coordinator? What was he supposed to do turn down the job after his brother screwed up? I've got no issues with the guy.

John Hollis was a former Golden Gloves boxer. He worked for 46 years in the business before passing away in 2009. Cook was a TV sports anchor for like 50 years. That's incredible. He died in 2007. Dave Campbell is still around and still working into his 80's. Those guys and Orville, they were the people I learned from plus my own dad who was the owner of a weekly newspaper and one of the most objective journalists I've ever known.

Seebs

Quote from: MissippHog on August 20, 2015, 09:32:44 pm
Why are so many "articles" written like they're writing on their blogs?  Is it that hard to find a decent reporter that knows how to tell a story?  Anyways, here's Petrino and his AD's presser addressing the incident.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u56BatoFt7M

CPP's body language in the first 30 seconds of this video are so telling. He reminds me of Lennie in 'Of Mice and Men' and he is about to do damage to a puppy.  I would not let CPP use scissors in my house.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Seebs on August 21, 2015, 05:04:06 am
CPP's body language in the first 30 seconds of this video are so telling. He reminds me of Lennie in 'Of Mice and Men' and he is about to do damage to a puppy.  I would not let CPP use scissors in my house.
hate to say his, I really do, but PP looks like he's a cast member of the Walking Red Head Dead
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on August 21, 2015, 05:07:49 am
hate to say his, I really do, but PP looks like he's a cast member of the Walking Red Head Dead

I hate to say this too.  I'm not saying he's one of those guys who one day just snaps and goes postal.  What I am saying is that he looks like one of those guys. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Mike Irwin on August 21, 2015, 02:07:49 am
When I was a cub reporter for KFSM in the mid to late 70's my favorite assignment was covering the SWC press tour. It was a nine day event. We travelled to all eight schools with one day off in the middle. In the evenings after everybody had posted their stories we'd all head to some local watering hole. I was mesmerized by the stories told by guys like John Hollis of the Houston Chronicle, Dan Cook who was the sports anchor at KENS in San Antonio and sports editor of the San Antonio Express and Dave Campbell of the Waco Tribune and publisher his own Texas Football Magazine.

Those guys got jumped plenty of times by coaches. It never made the newspapers or TV. The attitude they had...coaching is a damn tough job. Coaches need to vent from time to time. Who better to chew out than a reporter? I'm sure they didn't enjoy it at the time but the stories they told were hilarious and in almost every instance the coach in question would come back later and apologize. It was a grown up, big boy world they existed in. It was football not a tea party.

I will say this about Paul Petrino. He wasn't on that motorcycle. So he wasn't a good offensive coordinator? What was he supposed to do turn down the job after his brother screwed up? I've got no issues with the guy.

John Hollis was a former Golden Gloves boxer. He worked for 46 years in the business before passing away in 2009. Cook was a TV sports anchor for like 50 years. That's incredible. He died in 2007. Dave Campbell is still around and still working into his 80's. Those guys and Orville, they were the people I learned from plus my own dad who was the owner of a weekly newspaper and one of the most objective journalists I've ever known.

Mike, if you don't write a book full of these stories, I'll be disappointed.

I used to sit mesmerized by my grandmother telling me stories of when she was a kid growing up, and the things that happened to her and what she experienced.  But...when she told them, they weren't grandiose, and nothing was portrayed as being unusual.  It was just delivered in a matter of fact approach, as I sat there in awe mentally listing all of the questions I wanted to ask when the story was over.  They are some of my fondest memories. 

It's a matter of public responsibility that you share your stories man.  C'mon!!  You could pre-sell a few hundred copies just to Hogville members without even having anything published!  Where do I need to send my $15.95??? 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

oldhawg

Quote from: Mike Irwin on August 21, 2015, 02:07:49 am

I lived in San Antonio for a while in the seventies and then again in the eighties.  Dan Cook was my favorite. He was always straight forward, honest, and objective in his reporting, but could be funny and opinionated off the record.  I had the opportunity to talk with him one on one a couple of occasions, and came away with a greater understanding and respect of the life of one who was truly dedicated to the profession of sports writing and broadcasting.   I did not know he had passed away; we could use more folks in the sports media like Cook.

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

Why would he even write that article.  Comes off as the nerdy guy getting bullied.  Simply don't see the benefit.

Were Paul to go 10-2 his year and decide he didn't want that guy to have access to the program guess who would likely come out on top.
Let's make some waves.

Hog N Bama

Why are so many "articles" written like they're writing on their blogs?  Is it that hard to find a decent reporter that knows how to tell a story?  Anyways, here's Petrino and his AD's presser addressing the incident.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u56BatoFt7M
Oh blah blah blah Vandals? Are you kidding me? LMAO   

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on August 21, 2015, 05:57:59 am
I hate to say this too.  I'm not saying he's one of those guys who one day just snaps and goes postal.  What I am saying is that he looks like one of those guys. 

No he looks like one of those guys that tries to go postal and then gets his a** handed to him.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Professor Psychosis

Why are so many "articles" written like they're writing on their blogs?  Is it that hard to find a decent reporter that knows how to tell a story?

This is the selfie generation.  Everybody thinks they are the most important person that ever lived, likely including this reporter.

I just looked up his LinkedIn profile, and he graduated from Washington State in 2014.  Idaho and Washington State are rivals separated by 8 miles.

It would be like having a guy that graduated from Texas reporting on Arkansas fresh out of college as the sports editor of the NW Arkansas Times, or whatever that paper up there is called.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on August 21, 2015, 07:57:47 am
No he looks like one of those guys that tries to go postal and then gets his a** handed to him.
Actually he has a reputation of being quite a scrapper. There were all kinds of rumors within the media back when Bobby was at Louisville the first time that Paul would go out to local bars during the off season and get himself into various dust ups. Supposedly this stuff was always smoothed over with no major damage being done. Those that knew Paul Petrino back then said he was a Billy Martin type. Short, but the dude could throw and take a punch.

Mitch C

Some of you guy are full of crap.  A few years ago you were on here proclaiming them as the second coming of Christ and that our football program was forever doomed if we got rid of them.  I used to get slammed for saying we were better off without them.  Now all of a sudden you guys think they stink.  You guys have no back bone.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Mitch C on August 23, 2015, 09:30:06 am
Some of you guy are full of crap.  A few years ago you were on here proclaiming them as the second coming of Christ and that our football program was forever doomed if we got rid of them.  I used to get slammed for saying we were better off without them.  Now all of a sudden you guys think they stink.  You guys have no back bone.

+1

And thanks Mike for the tone of normalcy.  I don't have much respect for any of the coaches of the 2012 team but I don't see the need for constantly airing it out.   

rude1

For those who say the article shouldn't have been written. If a player had gone on a cussing tirade at a reporter, should that be reported or just shrugged off also? I just find it curious that we are so quick to ask and justifiably so I might add, more and more accountability from the athletes, but some how don't believe we need to be asking this of the coaches who are the ones actually making a living at doing this.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: rude1 on August 23, 2015, 10:43:57 am
For those who say the article shouldn't have been written. If a player had gone on a cussing tirade at a reporter, should that be reported or just shrugged off also? I just find it curious that we are so quick to ask and justifiably so I might add, more and more accountability from the athletes, but some how don't believe we need to be asking this of the coaches who are the ones actually making a living at doing this.
My dad owned a weekly newspaper in my hometown when I was growing up. Almost everything he put in the paper was about somebody we knew. That's life in a small town.

I saw him get cussed out more than once by people who didn't like what he'd written about them. I asked him one time why he didn't go public with these incidents. If some joker was going to come in my dad's business and cuss him out I felt like the jerk should get barbecued in print.

My dad had the opposite view. He said if you can't deal with angry readers of your newspaper you need to find another line of work. He also explained perfectly to me that journalists are not the story. They report the news, they don't make it.

As for Petrino, this incident occurred at a closed practice. It could have been resolved privately. I suspect that the writer in question is thrilled that it happened. He turned it into a national story. Covering Idaho football does not normally provide such an opportunity. It might even get him a better job down the road. HEY, YOU'RE THE GUY THAT GOT CUSSED OUT BY THAT COACH. COOL.

KY Hog Man

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on August 21, 2015, 07:57:47 am
No. Paul is the type of guy that hands your A$$ back to you.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: KY Hog Man on August 23, 2015, 11:59:31 am
No. Paul is the type of guy that hands your A$$ back to you.

Isn't it funny that guys hiding behind pseudo names would say things like that?

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on August 23, 2015, 02:03:11 pm
Isn't it funny that guys hiding behind pseudo names would say things like that?
Again, from what I've been told his post is correct. I know a lot of you don't like the Petrino's but it probably wouldn't be a good idea try to push little brother into a fight if you ever bump into him in a bar.

Hog N Bama

Quote from: Mike Irwin on August 23, 2015, 02:19:45 pm
Again, from what I've been told his post is correct. I know a lot of you don't like the Petrino's but it probably wouldn't be a good idea try to push little brother into a fight if you ever bump into him in a bar.
I would if Coach Herb was with me  ;D

bennyl08

You are assuming people flipped positions and such. All of hogville isn't some homogenous slush. You can't read posts by certain people a couple years ago and apply that to different posters several years later saying they flip flopped.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Mike Irwin on August 23, 2015, 02:19:45 pm

You misunderstand I was agreeing with him on his reply to a previous post, sorry!

Cresthog

LOL.

4 years ago this entire board would have taken it on the chin from Paul Petrino. With pleasure.

Mitch C

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 23, 2015, 02:34:54 pm
You are assuming people flipped positions and such. All of hogville isn't some homogenous slush. You can't read posts by certain people a couple years ago and apply that to different posters several years later saying they flip flopped.

That is why i deliberately used the words "some of you".  However, without question, large numbers of fans on this site have paper thin loyalty.  It is only based on wins.  Things like character and doing things the right way don't matter to a significant part of this fan base.   

pigture perfect

If it had been as big a deal as the reporter said it was, why is he the only one reporting it? Come on, coaching is a high stress job. It is stressful enough without guys on the outside writing about things that they don't fully comprehend.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

rude1

Quote from: Mike Irwin on August 23, 2015, 11:39:07 am
My dad owned a weekly newspaper in my hometown when I was growing up. Almost everything he put in the paper was about somebody we knew. That's life in a small town.

I saw him get cussed out more than once by people who didn't like what he'd written about them. I asked him one time why he didn't go public with these incidents. If some joker was going to come in my dad's business and cuss him out I felt like the jerk should get barbecued in print.

My dad had the opposite view. He said if you can't deal with angry readers of your newspaper you need to find another line of work. He also explained perfectly to me that journalists are not the story. They report the news, they don't make it.

As for Petrino, this incident occurred at a closed practice. It could have been resolved privately. I suspect that the writer in question is thrilled that it happened. He turned it into a national story. Covering Idaho football does not normally provide such an opportunity. It might even get him a better job down the road. HEY, YOU'RE THE GUY THAT GOT CUSSED OUT BY THAT COACH. COOL.

I get what you are saying Mike I truly do, BUT things have changed significantly since those days. The players themselves back in those days also got misdeeds swept under the rug by the press. Today we are no longer accepting bad behavior from the players as it is reported sometimes minutes after the incident occurs, we are demanding the athletes be accountable and public embarrassment from the incident being reported has become the norm.

I do NOT feel it is out of bounds to hold coaches to the same fire of accountability and the reporting of their misdeeds. Why should the coach be allowed to verbally abuse a reporter without that becoming public knowledge, but if a player did the same thing to the same reporter we wouldn't expect the same pass for him?

Mike Irwin

Quote from: rude1 on August 23, 2015, 05:15:50 pm
I get what you are saying Mike I truly do, BUT things have changed significantly since those days. The players themselves back in those days also got misdeeds swept under the rug by the press. Today we are no longer accepting bad behavior from the players as it is reported sometimes minutes after the incident occurs, we are demanding the athletes be accountable and public embarrassment from the incident being reported has become the norm.

I do NOT feel it is out of bounds to hold coaches to the same fire of accountability and the reporting of their misdeeds. Why should the coach be allowed to verbally abuse a reporter without that becoming public knowledge, but if a player did the same thing to the same reporter we wouldn't expect the same pass for him?
If another reporter witnessed this and wanted to make a story out of it then so be it. Reporters who know their craft should carefully consider if they want to become a part of their own story. I'm not saying it should never happen but in this situation it was not warranted. So a coach gets mad and cusses at you? It was at a closed practice. Stuff happens.

Doug

Quote from: Mike IrwinAgain, from what I've been told his post is correct. I know a lot of you don't like the Petrino's but it probably wouldn't be a good idea try to push little brother into a fight if you ever bump into him in a bar.
Quote from: Hog N BamaI would if Coach Herb was with me  ;D

Quoting this so it doesn't get lost... epically hilarious! :D
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

Pig in the Pokey

lolololol , call em out, dude!!
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

rude1

Quote from: Mike Irwin on August 23, 2015, 05:26:08 pm
If another reporter witnessed this and wanted to make a story out of it then so be it. Reporters who know their craft should carefully consider if they want to become a part of their own story. I'm not saying it should never happen but in this situation it was not warranted. So a coach gets mad and cusses at you? It was at a closed practice. Stuff happens.
If a player cursed you out and no one reported it, would you let the same rules apply and say "stuff happens"?

Hogsfan1981

The title of this thread is epic click bait....so much so that I thought I was on Facebook for a second.

"I thought what he typed was crazy but I never expected what happened next!"

Doug

Quote from: Hogsfan1981The title of this thread is epic click bait....so much so that I thought I was on Facebook for a second.

"I thought what he typed was crazy but I never expected what happened next!"
Mea Culpa on that one (though, you gotta admit, it's pretty funny!). That was the sports media guy in me that came out. :)
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

Mike Irwin

Quote from: rude1 on August 23, 2015, 06:09:15 pm
If a player cursed you out and no one reported it, would you let the same rules apply and say "stuff happens"?
It's happened. More than once.

SamBuckhart

BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

Hogsolo

U of I is just across the river from Washington State University.    UofI used to be a stepping stone to better things job, but for the last 15 years it's been where coaching careers go to die.   Going there as HC was his one and only chance to be the man and it won't end pretty.   UofI plays football in a dome that isn't as nice as Barnhill arena.   It's literally the worst coaching gig in football.

WSU biased reporting dominates the area and this reporter is probably hoping for an upgrade to WSU and making a name for himself.   

Paul is coaching the Dallas Cowboys O Coordinator's son at QB.   So he must not be as bad as we all like to say he is.   Aside from a shot at Long on the way out, he was a decent man at Fayetteville who is cursed with the wrong last name.

Just a little perspective for the topic, no love fest of CPP here.

SuperHog32

the big question I have is did Bobby have to script all this out for Paul?  Because we all know he's incapable of coming up with any type of offensive attack on his own.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: SuperHog32 on August 24, 2015, 02:43:12 pm
the big question I have is did Bobby have to script all this out for Paul?  Because we all know he's incapable of coming up with any type of offensive attack on his own.

Keep up man.  Mike said dude can throw a punch.  He's got an offensive attack.